A few weeks off to improve my game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few weeks off to improve my game

Just thought id post this here as it might help me with my game and give me better discipline for game selection and bankroll management. Below are graphs since i started playing on stars in 2008. I was a break-even player for a long time, losing in the MTT's what i was winning in sng's.

Last September i took time off from playing and read a few excellent books on MTT's and first week back playing had a big result with 4th in Sunday storm with a another big result with 2nd in the 11+ not long after that. The last couple of months have been dreadful especially last few weeks. I had been tilting very easily and v and got to the stage where i wasn't enjoying playing. I have taken the last week off and prob take the rest of this month off too.

I have identified a few areas where i went wrong with my game and i had been playing a lot more turbo's both MTT's and 180's with mixed success which may have changed how i was playing. I think i was a little bit reckless with my bankroll after my 2 big wins .

When i start back i will be building my bankroll with $4 180's and maybe 27 seaters with some small MTT's. I also plan on posting my results in the MTT grind thread and analyzing my game more. Something i haven't really been doing to do last few months because of an import error issue i have had with my HM that couldn't be resolved until HM fixed it this week.

While i am taking a break from online i have played my first live tourney in 8 months and plan on playing a couple more over the next few weeks. Hopefully when i return to playing online i will have improved my game and get back to winning ways but most importantly start enjoying playing again.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome

Scheduled Results

Sng Results
    The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
    MTT Calender 2015

Best of luck with this mate.Just out of curiosity what were the excellent MTT books you read recently(were they specific to online)

Comment

Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time volumes 1 and 2

Originally posted by puremagpie View Post
      were they specific to online
      Written by 3 top online players and focuses on online MTT's

had already read harrington on holdem 1 and 2 a few times before and would recommend reading them first even if they are a bit dated
      Last edited by Nuttkickker; 02-08-13, 19:56.
      MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Nuttkickker View Post

had already read harrington on holdem 1 and 2 a few times before and would recommend reading them first even if they are a bit dated

did you FT the big 55 with me a few months ago ? or was that someone else ?

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
          did you FT the big 55 with me a few months ago ? or was that someone else ?
          went deep(65th) but didn't get to FT have played with u a few times though and think i had ur table open when were on FT of 55
          MTT Calender 2015

Comment

right had my few weeks off and sorted out a few things with my game, found a few things i had changed unintentionaly as well as intentially. i had purposly changed my bet sizing shortly after my couple of wins. which i have now changed back. I have also gone over a few other things aswell as reading my books again, and going through what hands/stacks to be shoving/folding and 3-betting with. Have Got my holdem manager fixed aswell as streamlined my Hud and set up some custom pop-ups for stats i want to check in detail.

First night back i did my usual and took a shortcut playing a few MTT's i wasnt rolled for and came close before blowing a 2nd of 15th in an $8 500 max to bust 15th, before knuckling down on building my bankroll. I have done 225 sng's mainly 27, 18 and 12 seater $3.50(with the odd $7 when i had enough)over the last 2 weeks and got off to a good start winning $145 in a week and almost rolled for the $7 before i hit a desperate run losing all i had won the previous week, with 1 unbelievably bad session i did 29 tourneys and managed 4 cashes but 6 6th's and 5 7ths with 2 of them bubbling a 2nd place chipstack v chipleader in 2 $7 27 seaters.

I know i am playing better and thinking more about my game, I have got in the habit of going through my hands afterwards and am happy with my game in general.
            one thing i am happy is in the past 2 weeks, i have done 225 sng's and only did 1 MTT which was a $2 i did tonight. If i have the same dicipline in the coming winning weeks, I am sure i will be able to bankroll myself with more dicipline in future. I plan to avoid MTT's till i have $400+ an even at that i will attempt to stick to a strict 100+ buy-in for MTT's including 180's, while adopting a 40 buy-in limit for sng's up to 27 seaters
            Last edited by Nuttkickker; 09-09-13, 00:48.
            MTT Calender 2015

Comment

quick update as i took an extra few weeks off as i was still tilting very easily. even on a winning day i found i was tilting so easily, that coupled with one of my worst days playing sng's.

Have only started back again, so the plan is to build my bankroll to $400+ playing sng's and take it from there starting with some $3.50 27 seaters and $2.50 90 seaters. should have been off to a flyer sunday doing 5 90 seaters first night with an 8th and 3 10ths

Won't be able to put much volume in so it will prob take a while. Have rebuilt me bankroll from near enough nothing a few times before. one of the reasons i have started this thread is to keep my bankroll in check when i get back to playing MTT's as i felt i have been reckless before when i had a decent bankroll

heres hoping i can get back to some winning tilt free sessions
              MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Finally had a good week seemed like it wass never going to happen. Was doing mostly $3.50 27 seaters and $2.50 90 seaters.
                Ran fairly well in both before stepping up early to the $4.50 180 seaters. I have a bankroll for the $7 27 seaters and am close to being rolled for MTT's again

Even though i've had a good week, i have taken shortcuts and have played some MTT's along the way, mostly the $8 500 max

I plan to carry on playing the the 27 seaters an 180's with the odd MTT and hopefully continue building my bankroll

Last few months has been a painfull experience and hopefully i'll be a better player because of it and more careful with my bankroll

First one is just my sng results up to 180's

This is for all results incluing some MTT's
                Attached Files
                MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Just wondering if one of the mods could move this to the personal logs

Went bust a few weeks after my last update and played very little over the christmas. after 2 false starts in trying to build a bankroll from little or nothing i am hoping to finally get my account back on track. Change of plan again i am switching back to 180 man sng's but will have a far stricter bankroll managment, will also do Mtt's if i have 100 buyins

I realised from reading a few threads i was way off with my bankroll managment last time i did turbo's and will be going by 100 buyins for normal structure 180's and Mtt's and 200 buyins for turbos and even at that will only do tham at a 4-1 ratio to start off
                  got off to a good start in my first week hopefully i can stick to my new bankroll limits and build from here any thoughts or advice on this.

Hopefully after a good start this time round i can build from here
                  MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Quick update
                    Had been going well and sticking to my buy-in rules but once i got enough to start doing Mtt's it all went pearshaped and i stopped sticking to my buyin rules.
                    Last week i did a review of my hands and results since the start of the year
                    had made profit in my $4.50-180's,$2.50-180 turbo's and $3.50-18 seater turbo's with the 180 turbos been my main game ran at about 15% over 1k games.
                    but all the profit i made in this i lost in approx 100 Mtt's. After a bad run in the Mtt's i had 2 bad sessions in the turbo's followed up by drunken cash session ( something i haven't done in years...lol) and am now back to square 1 again.

I found posting here had given me a better discipline with my bankroll. so here goes again and time to build again, and hopefully learn from my mistakes.
                    MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Quick update
                      Had been going well and sticking to my buy-in rules but once i got enough to start doing Mtt's it all went pearshaped and i stopped sticking to my buyin rules.
                      Last week i did a review of my hands and results since the start of the year
                      had made profit in my $4.50-180's,$2.50-180 turbo's and $3.50-18 seater turbo's with the 180 turbos been my main game ran at about 15% over 1k games.
                      but all the profit i made in this i lost in approx 100 Mtt's. After a bad run in the Mtt's i had 2 bad sessions in the turbo's followed up by drunken cash session ( something i haven't done in years...lol) and am now back to square 1 again.

I found posting here had given me a better discipline with my bankroll. so here goes again and time to build again, and hopefully learn from my mistakes.
                      Seems your destined to rinse and repeat.
                      May as well give up get a differnt hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearbocht View Post
                        still have over 15k profit online and 10k+ profit live .....have cashed out most of my profits but have struggled to rebuild my account the last 6 months+, something almost all poker players have to do from time to time. I am confident in my game that i will get there, just taking longer than i thought and longer than it did compared with previous times
                        MTT Calender 2015

Comment

still have over 15k profit online and 10k+ profit live .....have cashed out most of my profits but have struggled to rebuild my account the last 6 months+, something almost all poker players have to do from time to time. I am confident in my game that i will get there, just taking longer than i thought and longer than it did compared with previous times
                          Good man 6months losing going nowhere playing 2 and 4 dollar games.
                          Why not leave adecent tank in?
                          Is it beacuse you fear you will tilt and just blow it in a drunken cash game?

Comment

Have you quit sir?
                            If it goes pear shaped time to quit get a job etc.
                            Why bother reading/commenting on personal log threads, if this is the only advice u have for people
                            MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Why bother reading/commenting on personal log threads, if this is the only advice u have for people
                              I think my advice is pretty solid to be honest.

Do you think everyone who posts up a log should just get a slap on the back and well done.
                              If you have a decent win rate live then id stick to that.

Grinding 2 and 4 dollar games even at 15%roi is in my opinion a waste of time sure your winning but is it worth the time.

The if it goes pearshaped dunno where you pulled that from.
                              Probably someone getting staked and up to there bollix in make up and mya dvice to said person would still be get a job.

Comment

Could you send them to me please. Thanks mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleasedontbanme View Post
                                  Could you send them to me please. Thanks mate.
                                  loaned out already and someone else waiting on them, don't fancy loaning them to someone i don't know who just joined the forum either, sorry
                                  MTT Calender 2015

Comment

gl with this, keep going, don't give up on it, add me on skype playing full time only day i take off is friday's, few of us in a group, your more than welcome to join and we go through hh etc and keep each other going, motivation wise, as you know yourself if your on your own, it can be tough cause your too tough on yourself, sometimes ya need others to pick ya up
                                    pm me for skype if you want it
                                    take sweets from strangers, lose everything!

Comment

Working...
                                    X