No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training for the marathon at the moment myself. On week 4 of a 16 week plan which I've been sticking to fairly well to date.

Problem is I'm really struggling to get my pace up, have been doing interval sessions each week but when it comes to the long runs I'm just going so slow and way of my time from last year. Alot of work to do yet

Comment

Been down in West Cork on holiday since Saturday and three runs in so far.

5K up to the top of Baltimore Hill/Beacon from the village with some easy trails to get to 60m altitude (twice) + 12/13K to Lough Hyne along the picture postcard, hilly boreens (except i never saw Lough Hyne cos i got lost and had abandon ship and run back home).

Got to the end of July with 550Km done for the year and 580Km on the target which is the best I've managed in five years at this stage.

Summer is generally slower so i'm stoked cos i'm basically fully on target for my 1000km for the year (famous last words!) and can have some fun in the next couple of months.

Mondello half is next on Sept 3. Hope to beat my July Clontarf time of 2:10. Feeling groovy!

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
        Training for the marathon at the moment myself. On week 4 of a 16 week plan which I've been sticking to fairly well to date.

Problem is I'm really struggling to get my pace up, have been doing interval sessions each week but when it comes to the long runs I'm just going so slow and way of my time from last year. Alot of work to do yet
        Read some great advice on boards about PMP sessions at this stage of a training plan. Basically we should be running them at a pace we could sustain for 26.2 with today's fitness level, we shouldn't be running them at our goal pace, which at the moment is probably our HM pace. As aerobic fitness improves, so will our sustainable pace.

You're naturally not going to feel comfortable running at last year's pace right now given last year was at the tail end of 16 weeks intense training.

Did you keep a log last year? Be a good idea to check how you're comparing now to this stage last year.

Also, the slower the better on your weekend LSR, you want to keep it aerobic.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I had an interesting 20 minute run in downtown Cairo this morning. It was already hotter than any day in Ireland this year at 7.30 am.

I tried to make my way to the Botanical Gardens in Giza about half a km away from my hotel figuring it would at least be free of traffic with a consistent surface but i got shooed away from the open gate by an enthusiastic chap who seemed to have some authority over ingress (but who was happy to let a veiled lady enter as i turned and jogged away with a shrug).

Cue an assault course-style adventure over half a dozen different types of dirt/sand/dust, up and down 20 inch high kerbs, cheek-by-jowl sprints on main thoroughfares with open sided minibuses and between hurtling and lurching traffic from all sides, a multitude of curious men with uncomfortable stares, a heavy security presence not seen since my days in the Six Counties, helmet-less motorcyclists texting at impressive speed, a colourful variety of skinny but surprisingly unmangey cats, and at least two taxi drivers who felt compelled to offer me their services as i zipped by, calling after me with the certainty they could get me to where i was going quicker or more comfortably than i could under my own steam.

Shame i couldn't have done more than 2 miles but felt on the balance of probability i had taken enough risk before 8am for one day.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
            I had an interesting 20 minute run in downtown Cairo this morning. It was already hotter than any day in Ireland this year at 7.30 am.

I tried to make my way to the Botanical Gardens in Giza about half a km away from my hotel figuring it would at least be free of traffic with a consistent surface but i got shooed away from the open gate by an enthusiastic chap who seemed to have some authority over ingress (but who was happy to let a veiled lady enter as i turned and jogged away with a shrug).

Cue an assault course-style adventure over half a dozen different types of dirt/sand/dust, up and down 20 inch high kerbs, cheek-by-jowl sprints on main thoroughfares with open sided minibuses and between hurtling and lurching traffic from all sides, a multitude of curious men with uncomfortable stares, a heavy security presence not seen since my days in the Six Counties, helmet-less motorcyclists texting at impressive speed, a colourful variety of skinny but surprisingly unmangey cats, and at least two taxi drivers who felt compelled to offer me their services as i zipped by, calling after me with the certainty they could get me to where i was going quicker or more comfortably than i could under my own steam.

Shame i couldn't have done more than 2 miles but felt on the balance of probability i had taken enough risk before 8am for one day.
            If you come straight down from Giza towards the Nile the surfaces aren't too bad and up on Zamalek and across on the Cornice by the hotels the traffic and the air aren't too bad

Here is a route I've run there.
            Distance 11.04 km | Time 1:09:06 | Pace 6:16 /km | Elevation 61 m
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The above two posts are what makes this forum so awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                If you come straight down from Giza towards the Nile the surfaces aren't too bad and up on Zamalek and across on the Cornice by the hotels the traffic and the air aren't too bad

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...hare/0?lang=en
                Strewelpeter guility of slow playing his running advice on Cairo. A bit late after the fact!

Comment

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...hare/0?lang=en
                  Will check it out next time. Thanks.

A question if i may? What (if any) other African countries/cities have you/could you run in?

Sub-Saharan specifically as i recently had a fleeting possibly of going to that part of the world and wondered how realistic getting some runs in was.

Comment

Crosspost from the DCM novices thread on boards, such a great day....

Originally posted by Lazare
                    Been on a high all day after that, but only getting around to giving a TR now as had my 3 year old's birthday party today.

That was the most awesome race!!

This year's Raheny 5 will always be my no.1 race, for many reasons, not least because it was my first. I was on a high for days after that, but this matches it. What an experience.

I had a nervous expectation going into it, had my mind on finishing sub 80mins. I'd never ran a 10m before so was going into it fairly blind. Wasn't sure how doable it was for me given I haven't ran near that pace since before training for DCM.

Headed to bed at about 10pm last night and slept in the spare room to get a rare full night's sleep. Got up at 7 and had a bowl of granola and a banana, took a look out at how beautiful the morning was and I knew this was gonna be a good day.

Threw the bike into the back of the van and parked outside the Islandbridge gate. Cycled up the Khyber and I had to stop to take a picture and tweet it. Such a beautiful morning, the runners high had hit before the race had even begun.

Met a few parkrun buddies in around Furze rd while I was waiting for my own friends. Also saw loads of familiar faces from previous races which was cool.

Down to business.
                    Planned in and around 5:00km pace for the first few km with the idea that if I felt strong I'd push on. Thought I'd fade tbh, but I didn't. I just got stronger. It was the first time that I have ever felt the effects of training. I'm surmising that Fingal was just too early in the program, but today I really felt the benefits of all the work I've (We've) been doing. Even though I knew I was giving it socks, it felt effortless until the final kick.

I bounded down the hills, opening up the stride, decreasing the cadence, using little energy but eating up the ground, then tightening up the stride, quickening the cadence for the uphills. Felt like how you change the gears on a bike. Felt so good. Felt I gained so much time. The drags take so much out of your time you've really got to make the gains on those downhills, I felt I worked them really well today and had a big net positive.

My favourite part of the course was mile 6 to 8. I was running stride for stride along that part with a girl and it felt great, we both got into a great rhythm. Pacing with someone is so beneficial, the kms tick away. I looked down at one point and I was running at 5k pace. It scared me and excited me at the same time. High 5'd a load of people along Chesterfield ave during this stage, so awesome.

That drag at the end just after the 8m mark was absolute sadistic torture stuff. I turned to another sufferer beside me and said 'who's idea was is to put a drag like this here?' and he just turned to me and said 'Bastards'. lol

That was the first time on the course that I really felt tested, which again made me realise how much the training is working.

When it flattened out and the watch beeped 15k I decided to push it on for the last. Upped the pace and overtook a few but when I hit the straight with the end about 500m away, I looked down and saw 1:18:0x and knew I had a bit of work to do so dug deep and sprinted, yelling in agony the whole way. I fell over the line in 1:19:55. A paramedic came over to me asking me was I ok, I just screamed 'Yeeahhh' at him. A high 5 type of 'yeeahhh'. lol.

What a day, what a race. So over the moon.

Very well done to everyone else. We're warriors.

Comment

Was out there this morn as the missus was running, finished about 4 mins behind your time. Walked the last few miles of course waiting on the race, pretty sadistic couple of last miles on the course. I'm sure they could set it up a little easier than that. Good going Laz

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                        Was out there this morn as the missus was running, finished about 4 mins behind your time. Walked the last few miles of course waiting on the race, pretty sadistic couple of last miles on the course. I'm sure they could set it up a little easier than that. Good going Laz
                        Fair play to her Ste, tell her I said congrats. A pb?

re the bolded. I dunno, I thought that at the time obv, but on reflection I think the profile was world class, you want to walk off there feeling tested. It's left me wanting more, can't wait to tackle it again next year.

Comment

Will check it out next time. Thanks.

A question if i may? What (if any) other African countries/cities have you/could you run in?

Sub-Saharan specifically as i recently had a fleeting possibly of going to that part of the world and wondered how realistic getting some runs in was.
                          In general you need to know where you are going and stick to it, look at strava and nike heat maps to see where people run and ask the concierge ,in one place the hotel sent a young lad out to run with me!
                          Paths are usually deadly and unusable in the dark, Cairo would be way above average! Don't forget that its mostly twelve hours of dark and evenings are very busy so usually the hour before dawn is the best time.
                          Safety is obviously important I'd only carry my watch and enough cash to get a cab back if I need to or if I lose my way... I don't know if I am foolhardy, I'd always check with the hotel but I do go out in places that few of my colleagues will.
                          Lagos - I've done more running on gym treadmills in Lagos than anywhere else. This is the only place I've held back from going out alone but I did get out twice with a local guy to run across the bridge from VicIsland to Lekki and along by the sea there. time of day isn't much help and even by the sea the air is foul.

Accra - Movenpik have a track marked out inside the grounds and the roads around the hotel are grand but the beach is great - always hot so early morning best but you can always jump in to the sea to cool off.

Addis - I ran on the main roads in the early morning before the traffic as the paths are terrible, went out alone and felt safe enough but not everyone would. Very hilly everywhere and the altitude really bites. There is a good route around the grounds of and the outside wall of the big hotel... I think its the Marriot also some good routes on strava I didn't try that might be flatter. Last two times I was there they had a big city run the weekend after I left would love to have done that.

Nairobi - City center paths are a disaster so I only ever ran laps of a <2k course from
                          Hilton to Intercon and around the government buildings where there are loads of police.

Gabrone - decent paths and safe very early morning to beat the heat.

Joburg - I've been out around Sandton a few times hills and altitude are issues but mostly you'd want to be careful about where you are going. Strava heat maps show busy parks but they are cab rides from the hotels I've stayed in.

Comment

In general you need to know where you are going and stick to it, look at strava and nike heat maps to see where people run and ask the concierge ,in one place the hotel sent a young lad out to run with me!
                            Paths are usually deadly and unusable in the dark, Cairo would be way above average! Don't forget that its mostly twelve hours of dark and evenings are very busy so usually the hour before dawn is the best time.
                            Safety is obviously important I'd only carry my watch and enough cash to get a cab back if I need to or if I lose my way... I don't know if I am foolhardy, I'd always check with the hotel but I do go out in places that few of my colleagues will.
                            Lagos - I've done more running on gym treadmills in Lagos than anywhere else. This is the only place I've held back from going out alone but I did get out twice with a local guy to run across the bridge from VicIsland to Lekki and along by the sea there. time of day isn't much help and even by the sea the air is foul.

Accra - Movenpik have a track marked out inside the grounds and the roads around the hotel are grand but the beach is great - always hot so early morning best but you can always jump in to the sea to cool off.

Addis - I ran on the main roads in the early morning before the traffic as the paths are terrible, went out alone and felt safe enough but not everyone would. Very hilly everywhere and the altitude really bites. There is a good route around the grounds of and the outside wall of the big hotel... I think its the Marriot also some good routes on strava I didn't try that might be flatter. Last two times I was there they had a big city run the weekend after I left would love to have done that.

Nairobi - City center paths are a disaster so I only ever ran laps of a <2k course from
                            Hilton to Intercon and around the government buildings where there are loads of police.

Gabrone - decent paths and safe very early morning to beat the heat.

Joburg - I've been out around Sandton a few times hills and altitude are issues but mostly you'd want to be careful about where you are going. Strava heat maps show busy parks but they are cab rides from the hotels I've stayed in.
                            Very interesting. Looks like i came second in a selection process for company operating in sub-Saharan Africa and South Africa (they went for the cheaper option).

This info would have been invaluable had i won and accepted but as it is it's merely fascinating!

I never use Strava myself but must take the plunge, brother-in-law swears by it but i'm a man of simple needs and RunKeeper has served me well for four years.

Cheers.

Comment

Just back from the Mondello half marathon. Funny old race. Six and a bit laps of the race track for the half. Seriously warm which meant a v slow time of 2:17 (seven mins slower than my last in Clontarf).

Wasn't really comfortable at any stage but as the race progressed i took comfort in the fact that the laps seemed to be getting shorter (even though i was getting slower). It ws more undulating than i had anticipated too.

Race was stung out after about half a mile so for large parts you were running on your own just being passed out by faster runners from the full marathon.

Pretty well organised by Pop Up Races for just 20e i think. No food afterwards though which is a bit cheap.

Oh well, i survived i suppose and will do my final half of the year in two months in Clontarf again and hope for better conditions.

Comment

I've started doing a bit of running now. Waterford Solas in a few weeks is the goal. I've probably never ran more than 5km outside of any GAA or Bball game and I assume I never hit 5km in any of them either.

I started 2 weeks ago barely made 3.2km mark. I hit 10km today in 1hr 5 mins. My original goal starting was simply to do the Solas 16km in 2 hrs then 1hr 45min and new goal is 1hr 30 mins

GFs bro is hoping for under 1hr so basically no more than 30 mins between us is the goal.
                                Killarney at the weekend and I plan to do the 10km route here if anyone else is interested. http://runkillarney.com

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                  After 15 months of heel, knee and ankle injuries that limited me to a couple of 2K runs a week, finally felt ok enough today to attack a 6K route around D15. Really just concentrated on getting it done without injury rather than any pretence at speed, so a fairly lumbering 38m40s. Pretty delighted though.
                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  Nice one AJ, great feeling to come out of an injury. Was reassured on here that in my own case I would be back where I left off after about ten runs and it's true. Feels like you've a huge hill to climb to get your fitness back but it comes back in no time.
                                  All coming together nicely with a 28:30 parkrun this morning, have taken approx 30/40 seconds off every week for the last 8 runs. Sub 28 by the end of the year had been the target but may have to be greedy and aim for 26xx. I think I should get some sort of time/weight ranking award, the docs scales put me on 16st+ a few weeks ago.

So wish this parkrun thing had been around 20 years ago though, my grotesque competitiveness would have loved to be up with the sub20 gang.

Comment

Great stuff AJ!

Hadn't spotted the other posts in the thread until now, excellent stuff Benny, when is Clontarf?

Brilliant Brady, another one hooked, keep it up.

Comment

Did my 2nd and last 20 miler this morning, so much better than last week's. Taper time now.

Only planned to do 18, but met with two people off the boards thread and they pushed me on the extra 2 miles. Ran the mile 2 to 11ish section of the DCM route, hitting the Chapelizod hill at my mile 18 or so then that bastard Kybher Hill at mile 20. Was such a great test hitting that at Wall time. We breezed up it, was pure pain but a really great confidence booster. There's nothing as tough as that from mile 20 on in the race itself.

Just have to trust the taper now. All looking good.

Comment

The Clontarf Half is Sat. Nov. 25.

Good luck in the DCM. I've no doubt a fit Lazare will be a fast (and certainly finishing) Lazare.

Stay focused but not obsessed

Comment

Hopefully Lazare and Digiman are tapering well for DCM.

I am back jogging easy after 2 months out due to what was likely a minor calf tear. Have lost 90 secs off the park run time, and gained 4 kg, so looking to knuckle down till Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                            Hopefully Lazare and Digiman are tapering well for DCM.

I am back jogging easy after 2 months out due to what was likely a minor calf tear. Have lost 90 secs off the park run time, and gained 4 kg, so looking to knuckle down till Christmas.
                                            I didn't do it this year, life got in the way unfortunately but I seen Lazare smashed in under the 4 hours. Well done, was cheering on this morning in Castleknock. Such a fantastic atmosphere and the crowds really make the Dublin marathon amazing, was really feeling sorry for myself that I wasn't out there running it.

Comment

...Looking forward to Lazare's trip report on the build up to marathon, the hell of running it and the celebration after it...this thread was set up for moments like this 😃...

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll try get a tr up today.

Comment

I posted my TR in the boards novices thread, I'll copy and paste it here rather than re write it.

Obviously some of the references are to do with that thread.

Comment

Got up bright and early yesterday morning, woke at 4:15am feeling well rested and said feck it and got up. Was great, had plenty of time to have a nice breakfast and coffee and read and post here, nice and relaxed.

At the start of this process I had silly notions of what I was capable of. I had in my head that I could run a 3:30 but decided to be conservative and target 3:40.

That was at the very start of the plan. It took the first decent LSR, maybe the 13 miler three weeks in for me to gain some respect for the distance and for me to realise how naive I was. But I was still a little naive, I think I adjusted my target to 3:50. The hammer blow came after Fingal when I read a post on another thread where the OP linked to a Runners World predictor and said how spot on it was. I entered my 5k pb and my Fingal time and it spat out 4:16. I'll be honest I was devastated. Never used that predictor again lol.

After the FD10 McMillan gave me 3:56 and around then I decided to settle on 3:58:xx

Based on invaluable advice, from here and from my friend Eoin, my plan was to go out ultra conservatively and play the course in the first half, jogging really easily up the climbs and using the downs for recovery/conservation. Taking it really easy until Walkinstown and then switching gears to come home in a negative.

I had an excellent pace band that totally reflected that plan and proved immensely valuable.

Fuelling plan was a gel 15 mins before the gun and every 30 mins.

Miles 1 to 7

Met up with Damo and Mark (RolandDeschain) at the start and we set off together behind the 4 hour guys, but we had agreed that we would be running our own races and by about 300m we were seperated. I didn't notice anyone bursting off making an idiot of themselves like I expected, everyone around seemed sensible. I was definitely slower than most though, my pace for the first mile was to be 6:05km so naturally I was getting overtaken. I didn't mind this at all as I expected it. I did start to question it though at Kevin St when the 4:10 pacers overtook me. Hang on, this doesn't seem right. Had to keep reminding myself to trust the plan.

Didn't bother with the first two water stations, don't really see the point of them this soon tbh. Everything was rosy at this point, I was bang on pace, had a bit of an issue with the paceband though trying to calculate between miles and km, my pace had to change fairly sharply between 3 and 5 so I was concerned at one point as to which mile I was actually running, my 16 times tables got a workout. Having said that I wasn't a slave to the band either, there were times I felt it necessary to ignore it.

Pacing was perfect so far, the time on my band for the 5m marker was 47:36 and I went under it in 47:36.

10k was 59:15 and I went under in 58:49. All good in the hood.

Finally overtook the 4:10 guys at the Phoenix monument and put doubts to bed.

I took water at the third station after Myos (I think) and dropped half a zero tab into it. Drank that. I had also taken a jelly of a guy who had his hand out, I mistook it for an invitation for a high5 but ate the jelly anyway. Had decided pre-race not to do that as I hadn't done it in training. Around mile 7 or so I felt a little bit of strangeness in my belly, not a belly ache as such but a little disconcerting all the same. It was then that I realised that I had never taken a zero tab on a training run either. Doh. It went away pretty quickly and didn't come back so disaster averted.

Still feeling 100% and on track.

Miles 8 to 20

Started getting shoulder pain in my left one which was bothersome and I remembered something else my friend Eoin had posted on boards before about managing pain and how it's the anxiety around it that gets you rather than the pain itself. So I focussed on it in my mind, relaxed and convinced myself that it was manageable and not going to affect me. It went away soon after that.

Mile 10 on the band said 1:32:35 and I went under it in 1:32:35. Like a Japanese subway train. I was amazed by this.

Slowed right down to a crawl going up the hill in Chapelizod, real easy effort, again remembering sage advice from Eoin. This hill will end your race and you won't even know about it for two hours. Easy peasy does it, don't worry about all those foolhardy ones romping past you.

Got some support from four bunches of friends between Dolphin's barn and Walkinstown roundabout. My mate and his wife and kid had a big banner with 'Go Conor' on it. It's amazing what this does for you! And feeding off the crowds in general. I got great energy from it, I was doing a Damo all over the place pumping my arms in the air to roars from the crowds, it was like mainlining RedBull with the boost it gave me.

My paceband time for the halfway gantry was 2:00:40 and I fist pumped when I looked at the watch and it said 2:00:31.

I felt brand new.

I couldn't believe we were at Walkinstown already, I stood there last year and watched people in awe, I couldn't believe then that people could still be pushing after running almost 14 miles and here was I shouting and roaring at crowds and feeling like I had only ran 1 mile. It was awesome.

I had planned with my wife and her Mam on Saturday night for them to be outside Borza on the Cromwellsfort road, but I knew there was a chance they wouldn't make it because of the baby. They were the last of my expected supporters except for a friend at Ballsbridge. They were supposed to be on the right hand side of the road but they were nowhere to be seen. I scanned left and right and even slowed down a little. I was gutted. Was dying to give my 3 year old a kiss. I decided to knuckle down then and got into the zone.

Was coming towards the Submarine and I heard my wife roar out my name, I was only about 20 feet from them and we almost missed each other. I flew over, grabbed my little one and gave her a big kiss, kissed my wife and legged it on up the road with a big silly grin on my face and a supercharged burst of positivity and energy.

Caught up with the four hour pacers then in and around Terenure, spotted Damo but it was too congested to say hello. Gained about 400m on them and then ended up alongside Mark coming into Milltown. He was flying and in great form. We ran by Leesider who gave us a big cheer, that was a lovely surprise.

I was running a little faster than planned at this stage but I decided to carry on as I still felt really strong and fresh.

30k on the band said 2:49:42 and I went through it in 2:49:02. This is doable.

The dreaded 20 mile barrier was looming though and I wasn't sure whether it was a physical barrier or a mental one. I was getting anxious about it, about breaking that new ground.

Miles 21 to Merrion Sq

It went by and I felt fine, mile 21 went by and I stil felt good. Halfway through mile 22 though I suddenly started to feel the burn. Heartbreak was heartbreaking as the 400m I had gained on the 4hour guys evaporated like the sweat on my salty forehead. Those horrible red balloons bobbed by me and I felt like crying.

I knew though that Fosters was coming up and I knew those guys would be forced to run it at 5:38 so I barrelled down it and put a bit of distance between us. It didn't last long though. At the end of Nutley my left leg just all of a sudden seized up and I screamed in agony. I thought that was it, game over.

I hopped on it for about 50m afraid to stop because I knew if I stopped it really would be game over. The 4hr pacers came alongside me again.

I decided to run with them from then on, knowing that I had about 20 seconds on them anyway so if I could just hang on to them, even let them away by a few metres I would definitely sub4.

Their encouragement was phenomenal, they were dragging everyone of us over that line like we were their brothers and sisters. 'Only a parkrun from here guys' 'Keep pushing it, c'mon only 2 miles left' '15 minutes of running, that's it and you're home'.
                                                    It was so helpful.

My watch beeped 41km and I found something deep in me. I dug deep and left them behind me. Looked down and I was running at 10k pace, roaring like a crazed animal. Went through the '800m' sign and spotted Damo up ahead and decided to try reel him in. That's all I remember though, don't remember the crowds, didn't hear the roars, I just saw that finish line and Damo.

Ran onto that beautiful, magical blue carpet and looked down at the watch, saw I was just about to nail my target and I nearly cried.

Boom! 3:58:08

My legs felt like they belonged to someone else, I was in a world of pain but I didn't care. I was bursting with raw emotion.

What a day, what an experience. What a pleasure to be in such a priviliged postition to be able to do it.

TL;DR Smashed it.

Comment

Also, a huge thanks to ionapaul for the cheers at Bushy Park, it's amazing how much it helps you.

Comment

Also, a huge thanks to ionapaul for the cheers at Bushy Park, it's amazing how much it helps you.
                                                        I had hoped to get out to cheer you on around the Costa on Drimnagh Road but the baba got sick during the night and was quarantined so messed up my plans.

Wp man. Terrific journey to go on. I presume you'll do more now?

Comment

...Excellent TR, Lazare... Reading that was excellent, makes us mere mortals want to give it a go...If a miracle happens and I ever do a marathon, I will quote your post!!!...

Comment

I had hoped to get out to cheer you on around the Costa on Drimnagh Road but the baba got sick during the night and was quarantined so messed up my plans.

Wp man. Terrific journey to go on. I presume you'll do more now?
                                                            Ah no worries bro, you cheered me on with this thread.

When I was squirming in pain right after I said to myself never again, never a fooking gain.

30 mins later I was thinking of next year, so yeah, deffo. I plan to race Dublin every year and do short stuff for the rest. I'm starting an 8 week plan at the start of Dec for Raheny and I want to smash my 5k time. Then next July start prepping for the monster again.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                              ...Excellent TR, Lazare... Reading that was excellent, makes us mere mortals want to give it a go...If a miracle happens and I ever do a marathon, I will quote your post!!!...
                                                              Cheers Liam, if I can do it anyone can do it.

I'll be cheering you home on your first one, you don't need no miracle bro.

Comment

Great read Conor. And great result.
                                                                I'm almost disappointed that I knew the the ending after it got a little hairy in the third act.

The hammer blow came after Fingal when I read a post on another thread where the OP linked to a Runners World predictor and said how spot on it was. I entered my 5k pb and my Fingal time and it spat out 4:16. I'll be honest I was devastated. Never used that predictor again lol.

After the FD10 McMillan gave me 3:56 and around then I decided to settle on 3:58:xx.
                                                                Looks like a conservative target close to McMillan is pretty accurate. I've always been skeptical of those calcs tbh. But that probably more because of my lack of sessions at >6km

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

After a surprisingly fast parkrun last weekend at Marlay Park (20.18), which isn't one of the faster courses, I really thought that, despite lack of proper endurance or interval training over the past six months, the Marlay time was telling me I'm close enough to push on for a sub-20 5k.

So although I had planned to meet some friends last night for a few drinks, I held myself to 3 pints, was home by midnight and got close to 8 hours sleep, all with this idea to really go for sub-20 in Shanganagh this morning.

Came in at 20.09, a new PB but agonisingly close to the 19.59 I want so bad!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1260296675 (recorded as 4.99k in Garmin but it's definitely 5k according to the organisers)

I felt so wrecked during the last K, despite always having a kick over the final 500m; think I was gassed coming up to the 4k mark.

Improvement is gonna be my focus ahead of Christmas, really need to work on this while I can!

Comment

Broke my half marathon PB (well, for my 40s at least) at Clontarf today by a minute and a half with a 2:04:06.

Genuinely though i'd never better the previous one given i don't train for them. Last one was a hard slog at 2:17:xx

Think the difference today was the cool weather, the fact i'd dropped a few kilos in recent weeks and, most importantly, a mate who was running it for the first time who though he'd beat me.

I declined his offer of a bet cos he'd run the marathon last year and cycles a lot but had barely trained for this, just five runs. I figured i'd be close enough.

He was only a couple of hundred meters behind me most of the way and both times i took a pit (pish) stop he caught up but both times i breezed along side and past and he knew then he was bate. By four minutes in the end.

Think now if i hit my target weight in Q1 i could maybe aim for sub-2hr again (for the first time in 14 years).

Comment

21:29 today at Jingle Bells, 41 seconds off my previous best (parkrun). It is a fast course though, last 2k were downhill but still, over the moon.

Comment

21:29 today at Jingle Bells, 41 seconds off my previous best (parkrun). It is a fast course though, last 2k were downhill but still, over the moon.
                                                                        That is just about how much over my PB I was in the Waterford AC half Marathon today

Have had a really difficult year working my way from niggle to niggle and I'm probably 8Kg over my 2014 time of 1:58.
                                                                        Struggled through the second half today and but I got back in 2:20:04 to add another bobble hat to my collection.

Great race, so well run easily the best event of any year, highly recommended for anyone looking to do a half at this time of year

2014 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1315812614
                                                                        2016 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1469870292
                                                                        2017 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2361110095

Hopefully that sets a low bar that I'll be able to beat next year.

Comment

Completed my 500th tracked run during the week since starting with Runkeeper in Oct 2012.

That's about 100 runs per year with a total distance of 4,366km (just over the width of the USA) with an average distance of 8.7KM per run.

I've done almost 930Km this year so far en route to my target of 1,000km so barring bad weather or injury i should see out another consistent year which included 5 mile and half marathon PBs.

I really embraced the 5km this year because it's exactly the distance from work to home which was a great convenience as not only did i do many more runs but i got home quicker than the bus and saved e2.05 each time i did it.

Who knows what next year will bring? The one thing i can be sure of is that on Jan. 1 i'll reset the dial and set another goal of 1,000km for 2018 and start pushing that rock back up the hill.

As The Fall front man Mark E. Smith once said, 'It's not repetition, it's discipline.'
                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-12-17, 08:02.

Comment

Thats incredible Benny. How many 5kms did you do the whole year?
                                                                            And how much did you save in bus fare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              Thats incredible Benny. How many 5kms did you do the whole year?
                                                                              And how much did you save in bus fare.
                                                                              Lol... thanks Mellor. A quick count shows 72 so far so that's e147.60 saved.

Which is just about what i spend on a pair of runners every year (i change 'em once a year/1000km)

The bus + walk takes 45-50 mins most days and i run it in about 33 mins (its actually 5.6km).

Typically i run home on Monday or Tuesday (leaving laptop/bag etc... in work) and then dry my gear out overnight and run in again the next morning. We have a shower in work but nowhere proper to dry out gear.

Then i will add one 10km at lunchtime later in the week which takes an hour. Or i might do the 5km in and out again.

The key is to be consistent at 20km (on average) per week every week. If it wasn't for sticking to that over-riding principle i'd never have clocked up what i did. It means that even if you have a few bad weeks with low or no milage you still have an achievable goal because a year is a long time in running.

You're never beat, just a little bit behind.

Comment

All coming together nicely with a 28:30 parkrun this morning, have taken approx 30/40 seconds off every week for the last 8 runs. Sub 28 by the end of the year had been the target but may have to be greedy and aim for 26xx. I think I should get some sort of time/weight ranking award, the docs scales put me on 16st+ a few weeks ago.
                                                                                Got through 28m by a few seconds at the end of November and a 27:30 on the latest parkrun. Psychologically a nice landmark as its 5m30s kms all the way.
                                                                                Still carrying a big stomach but now below the "shouldn't be running" Courier Collie weight guidelines. Can hopefully continue to lose both time and kilograms and see where it goes. Probably only get one more parkrun in this year on the 30th but theres a fun double (Hartstown at 9.30 and Porterstown at 11) on NYDay which could be a nice challenge if I am't in a jock.

After cutting 6 minutes in 5 months this year would like to think I can get down to sub 25 next year especially in nicer weather conditions. And have sneaky fleeting dreams of landmarks below that obviously.

Comment

Signed up for Vancouver marathon in May without giving it too much thought. It will be my second time running it but wasn't happy with this year. Going to train properly and aim for sub 3:30. Will be marathon #5 for me with the last 2 dissatisfying due to injuries & poor training:

Galway, May 2014: 4:02
                                                                                  Helsinki, Aug 2016: 3:35
                                                                                  Budapest, Oct 2016: 4:10
                                                                                  Vancouver, May 2017: 4:05

Comment

Back doing an easy 10-20 miles per week, after the calf niggle cleared.

22m:29s for a timed 5K on road at the weekend.

Trying to mix in a bit more off-road/trail also.

Comment

So i ran my goal OK this year - 1,000Km completed with a 10K around Drimnagh this evening.

The last 50K of runs were fraught with a sprained toe and a lingering pain/wateryness on my lower right inner leg (which i must Google what that muscle is one of these days) as well as bad weather up north and forgotten running gear.

Next year (starting in exactly 13 hours) i'll aim to do the same but with a few additional sub-goals to keep me on my toes:
                                                                                      • One personal best (likely 5 mile, 5K or half)
                                                                                      • Four half marathons (signed up for three in the first 7 months already)
                                                                                      • Drop 10% of body weight (83>75kg)

Anyone else got a plan?
                                                                                      Last edited by BennyHiFi; 31-12-17, 07:01.

Comment

2017 target was a modest 365K, a sub 28m 5K and to do at least one 10K.

Was way behind target one until July because of stupid injuries but managed to sneak ahead by November and will finish on 411K (+ whatever I do tomorrow).
                                                                                        27:32 for 5K so happy there.
                                                                                        Never got around to running anything beyond 7K.

2018 targets.

600K total.
                                                                                        sub 25m 5K.
                                                                                        run a 10K.
                                                                                        do some 'sprinting' for variety purposes.
                                                                                        drop a dress size or two.

Comment

Did two parkrun's this morning, New Year's Day is only one of two each year (I believe) where parkrun allows runs at both 9.30 and 11. Did the tough, hilly Cabinteely at 9.30 and then the much flatter Tymon at 11, managed sub-23 on both according to my Garmin.

Fairly happy with that, drank a good bit last night and didn't sleep for very long so was never going to be fast in Cabinteely, it was god damn windy as hell too!

Up to parkrun #97 now, might even get #100 in the bag before the end of the month Still chasing the sub-20 though, will really push for this later in the year when the weather improves, only need to find another 10 seconds somewhere...

Comment

Great stuff Paul, fair play. I was far too hungover to attempt it this morning. Also, my next one is my 50th and I want to shoot for a pb.

What's a typical week for you? I'm thinking about the sub 20. Do you do any sessions, speed work, fartlek etc?

If you did one session a week, say on a Wed, with easy running every other day, including parkrun for six weeks you will smash it.

200 or 400m intervals, resting between or fartlek would do the job.

Comment

I've been terrible in terms of running training over the past two months, mostly due to the dark nights and the shitty weather generally; my only decent outdoor runs are my Saturday morning parkruns! Otherwise I get in one or two 3k runs at 'race pace' on the treadmill as part of my gym warmup.

Once the weather improves and I can run during my lunch instead of hitting the gym, I'll definitely include some longer runs and those fartleks (just looked them up and I had tried that at one point, quite tough!) in the mix. I feel I just need to get my 5k endurance sorted, I can fairly easily do sub 21 runs each week, but once I go below 20:30 I'm shattered from the 3k-4.5k point (always manage to up the pace for the final 1/2k), if I could keep my first 2k pace steady I'd smash the 20 minute mark.

Comment

If you're doing all your running hard, at race pace you'll find it difficult to build endurance. Running hard is primarily anaerobic, you're using stored energy (glycogen) from within the muscle as fuel. Endurance comes from strengthening your aerobic system, becoming more efficient at processing oxygen, and developing a larger capacity (Vo2 max).

You need to use oxygen as your fuel source though in the majority of your runs to work the aerobic system. This means easy running.

For you I'd guess it to be in and around 5:20 pace. If you did two 5 or 6k treadmill runs a week at easy, but better if you could up it to 8 or 10k, then a hard parkrun on Saturday you will hit sub 20 within no time.
                                                                                                Last edited by Lazare; 02-01-18, 15:38.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                                                                                  2017 Running Goal is to stay injury free and look for slow steady improvement. 5K is currently 23:12, down from about 28 minutes at the start of 2016.
                                                                                                  5 K is now 22:39. There were niggles along the way. A mix of stretch/weights, foam rolling, a broad variety of training, and low emphasis on tracking times, has helped reduce injury problems.

Running hightlights of 2017, were:

Morning runs in the Phoenix Park
                                                                                                  Running with friends, family and siblings
                                                                                                  Running more on trails
                                                                                                  A 15 K loop out to Poolbeg lighthouse with work to close out the year

2018 Running goals are to:
                                                                                                  [1] Stay injury free
                                                                                                  [2] Be more involved in the running community/giving back
                                                                                                  [3] Run a 22 min 5k & 1:50 1/2 marathon

Comment

Running highlight for sub-5km on the treadmill.
                                                                                                    Next would be to do it outdoors. I suppose I should do my first Parkrun and try to hit sub-20 there

Comment

Running highlight for sub-5km on the treadmill.
                                                                                                      Next would be to do it outdoors. I suppose I should do my first Parkrun and try to hit sub-20 there
                                                                                                      Likewise, hit sub 20 on treadmill which was an unrealized goal for a few years. This year only goal will be to hit sub 3:30 marathon in May.

Comment

If anyone's ever fancied a run on a proper indoor track, then its all reasonably priced at the National Arena in Blanchardstown/Abbotstown, €8 an hour for shared use.
                                                                                                        At Sport Ireland Campus we have a variety of Pay As You Go options including Swimming Pool Access and Athletics Track Access.

Tracks only 200m long so a 5K would be a dizzying 25 laps (how would you remember what lap you are on !!)

Comment

If anyone's ever fancied a run on a proper indoor track, then its all reasonably priced at the National Arena in Blanchardstown/Abbotstown, €8 an hour for shared use.
                                                                                                          At Sport Ireland Campus we have a variety of Pay As You Go options including Swimming Pool Access and Athletics Track Access.

Tracks only 200m long so a 5K would be a dizzying 25 laps (how would you remember what lap you are on !!)
                                                                                                          Cheers AJ. Never knew about this.

I'll definitely try that one of these days - one hour would be 10K for me so a proper head spinning 50 laps.

Would make for a great stag day out - mini-decathlon, medal ceremony etc.. but i suppose they wouldn't want the messing or the injuries.

b.

Comment

Made it to parkrun #100 today

Quite pleased with myself to be honest! Still not sure if/when I'm gonna get that sub-20 but hopefully by the summer when the weather improves. Parkrun is such a great thing, really happy it took off in Ireland when it did - I think everyone takes out much more than they put in!

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                                              Likewise, hit sub 20 on treadmill which was an unrealized goal for a few years. This year only goal will be to hit sub 3:30 marathon in May.
                                                                                                              Month of Jan was abysmal - 3 x 8km runs registered. Going to try to do 20km+ tomorrow to shock the system and set the precedent for next 10 weeks or so.

Comment

Month of Jan was abysmal - 3 x 8km runs registered. Going to try to do 20km+ tomorrow to shock the system and set the precedent for next 10 weeks or so.
                                                                                                                Covered 20/21km in 1:50. Used to be a silent runner but opted to throw on Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Peterson & I think I'll be sticking with the audio support throughout this training cycle. With that said, what cool running apps are out there? I'd like something that can run simultaneously with other apps & give distance updates and possibly pacing updates at controlled intervals - what do you guys use?

Comment

Got to within a minute of my PB time for 10K twice in the last week
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Pity that I only covered 8K

Comment

what cool running apps are out there? I'd like something that can run simultaneously with other apps & give distance updates and possibly pacing updates at controlled intervals - what do you guys use?
                                                                                                                    Strava.
                                                                                                                    Interrupts the audio to give distance/pace updates at 500m/1km intervals.

Comment

Strava.
                                                                                                                      Interrupts the audio to give distance/pace updates at 500m/1km intervals.
                                                                                                                      I use RunKeeper and you can set up audio distance/time alerts in that too.

Starva seems the most widely used (and probably most useful also).

Comment

Got through 28m by a few seconds at the end of November and a 27:30 on the latest parkrun. Psychologically a nice landmark as its 5m30s kms all the way.
                                                                                                                        After a few much-the-same runs at the start of the year in the 27:30m<>28:00m bracket I felt really good lining up this morning, and exceeded hopes by finding an unexpected 45 seconds improvement to post 26:45.
                                                                                                                        Think this one might stand for a while as it was a perfect morning on the back of an unusual 8 hours sleep with no alcohol or Friday night crisps in the system. Probably a rare set of circumstances.

I also lined up a bit differently as an experiment - normally because I know I'll finish 50/60th out of 100 odd I start about two thirds of the way back but have found myself being baulked in the early stages by people being a bit stupid in where they position themselves.
                                                                                                                        Today I decided to be one of those idiots and start in the top 10 or so - made a big difference as basically never had anyone directly in front of me and never had to do an overtake though I'm sure I was cursed by a few people who had to get past me on tight turns.

Comment

Back after some more minor calf issues.

Today was a nice very very slow 7 miler on snow and trails.

Delighted to be back on my feet.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X