Shoving with AQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoving with AQ

What are people's thoughts on 3 bet shoving with AQ when 10-15 BBs, 15-20 BBs and 20-25 BBs.

It appears to be my nemesis hand at the moment. It put me out of the Irish Open when with 26 left I had 16 BBs and 3 bet shoved on an initial early position raiser (Andrew Badacker so fairly aggressive and at the time he had about a 60 BB stack) running into AK. I don't think this is a wrong play.

But recently online I keep getting bust fairly late on in tournaments when my stack size is around 12-20 BBs when I 3 bet shove with AQ over initial early or mid position raiser. Obviously image is fairly important of my opponent, but at what stack size and in what situations do people think peeling or 3 betting light is an option. And are you making a small 3 bet with the idea of folding to a 4 bet?

Cheers

You come across fairly result based tbh, just because AQ is your exit hand doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. Your IO exit is standard, but not just against an aggro opponent imo, anyone with 60bb should be opening wider making AQ an instant shove. It's just unlucky if you don't flip well.

With 0-25bb I'd be 3b calling v most people. Unless you have a read it's too strong a hand to give up when your that short imo.

3b folding from a 20bb stack would be very spewy, you're priced into calling with any two cards.

I might peel sometimes with 20bb+.

As for 3betting light, you should prob be doing it with almost every stack size. It's just based on the situation. If I see a player fold to a 3b shove of <15bb then I'll 3b shove over their opens with practically ATC if they keep opening similar spots.

Comment

ah aq, its the weakest premium, I'd say I bust more tourneys with it than anyone, its Jus so hard to fold when a guys been 3 betting u all day, and then boom they'll have ak the time u 4 bet jam. this is a definite cooler for u vs badacker, who should be opening a wide range, no need to second guess. its a great hand to 3bet jam vs most players in most spots when u have less than 25bigs, id 3bet call with more chips or flat. there are rare times where ill hero fold aq to one bet, it'd be hud dependant, the guy would have to be a complete nit opening ep.

Comment

I think i agree completely with all of that alanmc! Still gets frustrating. Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X