Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 30-04-19, 20:37   #1041
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Has anyone listened to the fs.blog book on Audible? I've never listened to an audiobook, and it seems like a book that you'd really want in a hard copy, but the kindle version isn't even out until Oct.
October seems crazy given he's released it via Audible already and he's doing the usual publicity.

I was going to buy it next month with a credit and thought that given it was only 3hr 20mins it should be easy enough to remain focused on.

You can download a sample or he appears on Sam Harris latest podcast. Generally my only concern with Audible is the length of the book and visuals
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-19, 20:46   #1042
Murdrum

I just bought it, I returned one I likely would have never listened to.

If you want to hold off until tomorrow, I'll let you know what it's like, I should have it finished by then.

No accompanying PDF either.
Old 30-04-19, 21:19   #1043
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Cool thanks. Yeah he said Audible wanted a 6 month exclusive deal. Seems strange though, aren't they owned by Amazon.

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 08:09   #1044
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Need to hear more from Sean who has read even more than me this year! Particularly interested in the books about France - any particularly good or any to avoid?
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 10:30   #1045
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
Need to hear more from Sean who has read even more than me this year! Particularly interested in the books about France - any particularly good or any to avoid?
Yeah I thought I was flying till I looked and saw that you two and Hitch are flying.
I suspect you might get close to 100 this year, not too far off.
Old 01-05-19, 15:49   #1046
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

The series on local French detective by Walker he recommended is class. I'll be slowing down a bit as Ian Banks takes all the energy.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 01-05-19, 16:19   #1047
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdrum View Post
Yeah I thought I was flying till I looked and saw that you two and Hitch are flying.
I suspect you might get close to 100 this year, not too far off.
A lofty goal, I'd be doing well I'd say! I've noticed myself picking shorter books so I'm not stuck reading one thing for ages without moving the Goodreads dial so I'm trying to get myself out of that bad habit, which might slow me down.
Old 01-05-19, 18:59   #1048
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Cool thanks. Yeah he said Audible wanted a 6 month exclusive deal. Seems strange though, aren't they owned by Amazon.
Two thirds of the way through. Outside of the odd philosophical quote that needed a 2nd listen here or there, it's easy follow.

Lots of focus on Munger among others.

You'll know lots of stuff, Occams Razor, Socratic Questioning etc...
It's more a collation of models than anything new and it's actually the first of a series, this the general models version.
Good so far and the first audiobook I've listened to at normal speed as I'm accustomed to listening to his voice at that pace during his podcast.

Last edited by Murdrum; 01-05-19 at 19:13.
Old 01-05-19, 19:58   #1049
Western_Sean

Quote:
I feel I've read a weird set of things this spring - I don't really know what the culprit is but I've felt my reading list has been at best moderate in quality. The best of the recommendations have come from IPB so a hat tip to all of you. In general the things I've read which have been recommended here were the best of the spring reading.

I've been travelling /working for the last 14 odd hours but now I can't sleep so apologies in advance for what follows...

On the French books - I do love that Walker series Bruno Chief of Police. Its "wish you were in rural France" - harmless fun; and some days that's what the doctor ordered. They are consistent and that's exactly what I like about them. I enjoyed the 3 I read early in the year immensely. You do probably need to read them in order to get the most out of them.

On the rest
I read The French menu cookbook by Richard Olney years ago and I've had a vague interest in how the cooking style of Provence entered the American culinary tradition since. This lead somewhat tangentially to an interest in the life and writings of MFK Fisher - which brings us somewhat unexpectedly to Provence 1970 . I enjoyed this in part because I'd recently seen Julia and Julia. The Lawrence Durell one is a somewhat tedious read - I wouldn't recommend it. The paper quality of the copy I got was remarkable though. It's such a shame publishers don't use better quality paper it enhances the experience greatly.

The Janquot series is set in Marseilles / Luberon and seems promising so far. Nicely composed police procedurals I'm hopeful on these.

Death in Brittany is a France based crime novel written by a German - I just couldn't get on board with the writing style here - mystery element was ok, but the writing killed it for me.

On Rue Tatin is marketing posing as a travel diary - in retrospect 2 stars was very generous.

I'll never be French.... is a fish out of water travel diary about and American who moves to Brittany. This caught me on a good couple of days I may have been generous giving it 4 stars but it's entertaining and reasonably well written even if the story is somewhat formulaic. Similar observations apply to A pig in Provence in retrospect I'm hard pressed to remember why I rated this 4 stars.

Flauberts Parrot is potentially of interest if Flaubert's life is a topic you find yourself curious about - I've enjoyed Julian Barnes in the past but in this instance I'm not sure his style and the topic were well matched. That said I enjoyed it, however its the sort of thing I suspect one either hates or moderately enjoys. It's difficult to generally recommend for that reason.

In the entirely un-French section Ficciones is somewhat heavy going but rewarding. I had always intended to read Borges and I'm glad I took the time.

The Road to Oxiana is a tale of middle east travel wonderfully told, this is well worth a little effort.

There are little kingdoms is a series of short stories presenting a dark view of Ireland outside the pale. I quite liked how he captured the idioms and peculiarities of bits of the country. It's well written but reading it didn't make me happier - make of that what you will.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations both here and on goodreads I think you probably saved my reading list from my poor taste over the spring - keep up the good work!
Western_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 01-05-19, 20:17   #1050
Western_Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
The series on local French detective by Walker he recommended is class. I'll be slowing down a bit as Ian Banks takes all the energy.
Those Banks - Culture books have given me such joy over the years. I think I might re-read one or 2 to give the summer reading a kick start. There's something about them I find so pleasing. I've read the Dune books more than once but somehow they never quite give me the same satisfaction that these have over the years.

My now wife recommended the first one to me shortly after we began seeing each other - so they've had positive associations for me ever since.
Western_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 06:49   #1051
Murdrum

Has anyone attended the Dalkey Book Festival before? I was considering going to see Jared Diamond or Peter Frankopan but I have no real idea what to expect tbh.

Diamonds is the Mansion House so I guess it's more of a formal discussion, he's with McWilliams for that.
Frankopan is also with McWilliams for one talk but his 2nd talk interests me more I think:

http://www.dalkeybookfestival.org/se...story-matters/

Perhaps less formal in those locations, Stephen Fry sold out, I'd like to see him too
Old 02-05-19, 08:27   #1052
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Has anyone attended the Dalkey Book Festival before? I was considering going to see Jared Diamond or Peter Frankopan but I have no real idea what to expect tbh.

Diamonds is the Mansion House so I guess it's more of a formal discussion, he's with McWilliams for that.
Frankopan is also with McWilliams for one talk but his 2nd talk interests me more I think:

http://www.dalkeybookfestival.org/se...story-matters/

Perhaps less formal in those locations, Stephen Fry sold out, I'd like to see him too
Never been to it, is it essentially a series of readings or something more like a debate and discussion type forum?
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 14:46   #1053
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
Never been to it, is it essentially a series of readings or something more like a debate and discussion type forum?
It appears to be open discussion, I don't know whether it's a debate per se, more likely a friendly discussion I'd imagine.
Jared Diamond is brilliant so I might just go to that.
Thanks From:
Old 09-05-19, 17:23   #1054
Murdrum

I read this article earlier, a book review of a biography about Eric Hobsbawn and I thought it was fantastic: https://www.newyorker.com/books/unde...lained-history
I bought all Hobsbawn's books as a result, not the one being reviewed though. I never heard of him prior to this or at least paid any attention. I assume those interested in history are familar with Hobsbawm though.
The writer has a number of books too:
Thanks From:
Old 11-06-19, 12:45   #1055
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Just in case anyone is freaking out about the rate at which I'm knocking books off at the moment on goodreads I am actually on holidays

I definitely owe this thread a serious update when I get home, I will oblige asap.
3 Thanks From:
Old 12-06-19, 10:14   #1056
Goodluck2me

Quote:
It appears to be open discussion, I don't know whether it's a debate per se, more likely a friendly discussion I'd imagine.
Jared Diamond is brilliant so I might just go to that.
Interesting ,would be good to try something different.

Read two books last week. Shoe Dog by Phil Knight, the Nike ceo and Citizen Quinn which detailed the history of Sean Quinn.

Shoe Dog was a pretty good book, but I found him quite unlikeable, he went into a fair bit of detail and I think was continuously trying to prove how smart he was through the book, the first chapter on his travels is hard work. Overall though it was interesting to see how a behemoth like Nike basically started with door to door sales of Japanese imports shoes called Tigers and branched out from there.

Citizen Quinn was very interesting for me as Id followed his career loosely, and I hadnt realized how hed built up his empire. My view is that he comepltely destroyed it himself through two the Anglo CFDs, I hadnt realized the scale hed reached in it, and has no one to blame but himself and his greed. The parts afterwards I had some sympathy for, but I had assumed much more wrong doing from Anglo than appears to be the case.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 13-06-19, 09:05   #1057
Murdrum

Quote:
Just in case anyone is freaking out about the rate at which I'm knocking books off at the moment on goodreads I am actually on holidays

I definitely owe this thread a serious update when I get home, I will oblige asap.
I see you read Agassi's autobiography, it's been recommended to me by numerous people.

Definitely one to get around to, I'm finishing off all the books I have on the go before starting anything else.

I'm actually reading a poker book at the minute, generally taking a more active interest in learning about the game again. I've probably watched and read more poker theory in the past month than the last 10 years combined.

I'm just finished Jared Tendlers Mental Game of Poker 1, pretty disjointed in parts but he makes that point, it's for constant referral but I think if he employed a similar method if possible to James Clears Atomic Habits then it might be better.

It's still worth a read as it covers all those different emotions we experience when playing. Perhaps of interest to people on here.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games