$2-5, what's the best line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2-5, what's the best line?

This is probably going to seem like a very straight forward scenario for most players but I haven't played a huge amount recently and was just curious as to what people think is the best line to take in order to get the max value.

It's a live $2-5 cash game. We have just sat down at the table maybe only 10 minutes ago so no real reads on the villain. Hero has 33 UTG and makes it $15. Folded around to the villain in the cut off who makes it $45. The blinds fold and hero flats. The flop is 3d2c2s. Hero checks, villain bets $55, hero flats. Turn is 7d. Hero checks, villian bets $60, hero??

We started the hand with roughly $400 and the villain has approximately the same starting the hand.

Flat, jam river
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

open fold pre.

edit: playing less than a full stack against unknowns, 10 handed, utg, it's a fold.
      Last edited by Denny Crane; 22-02-17, 12:09.

Comment

I can see the logic with the open fold idea but these games just aren't aggressive enough preflop to make it the best play IMO.

The hand just isn't difficult enough to play postflop. 1/8 of the time you flop a set and crush any calling range. Half the time they just completely miss the flop and a c-bet takes it down. Another chunk of the time you check-down and win against A-high.

I fold to the 3-bet though unless I have some read which makes me want to take a stand. You're calling $30 and hoping to flop a set where you can win a maximum of $355 of him. Plus you're OOP which makes playing for anything other than set value difficult. I mean look at the situation we're analysing here, you basically hit the nut flop and it's still difficult enough to extract value that it's worth posting on an internet forum. Only time I don't fold this PF is when a) we're 200bb deep b) I have a read which makes it seem like a good idea to snap off 2 or 3 barrels on co-operative boards c) I want to 4-bet shove.

As played I like the check/call on the flop, just like I would with 88 or AK. I don't think I have a check/raising range on this flop at all (Note: I fold 67s preflop to the 3bet).

Once thing I noticed when I played the Dublin Poker Festival is that everyone seems to have donk-turn ranges in 3-bet pots now. No idea what they're doing it with or where the idea came from. It would be nice in this spot though because you would likely get a call out of AK but that probably won't bet itself. Only problem is you need to c/c flop with air in order to balance it.

His bet size is €60 into €200 on the turn. Kinda weird but at the same time you're shallow enough that he can shove for less than a PSB on the river so it's fine.

At this point for me it really comes down to my feeling about the guy. If I think he can shove river with air then I c/c and c/c river. Otherwise I ship turn and balance with AKdd/AQdd/AJdd.

Comment

So I gather I should have folded pre based on the replies so far. My thought process after opening was I called the 3 bet to set mine. I flatted the flop obviously not wanting to fold out better hands. Once he bet 60 on the turn I was unsure how to play it as I thought opening and flatting 3 times and leading the river would look too strong. I thought about check raising the turn but if I was check raising it would have been $120 - $150 which only left $180 - $150 behind which I also thought might look strong as I would have committed most of my stack to the pot by the river. So in the end I check shoved thinking it might look more bluffy, or maybe a hand like 8's or 9's.

He very nearly called but later old me he folded JJ.

Thanks for the replies. As I said I hadn't played much so a bit out of practice I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X