Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    A homophobe as well actually.
    isn't he a MMA type? Hardly surprising in that case when you look at the other world class gobshites that inhabit that particular universe
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Verona Murphy's comments were significantly less offensive imo
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        isn't he a MMA type? Hardly surprising in that case when you look at the other world class gobshites that inhabit that particular universe
        There's world class gobshites in every sport
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
          Less of the 'aul lad' stuff ffs!
          You up to date with Vikings ? ?
          This too shall pass.

Comment

I dont think that would be fair on most MMA types. Gobshites in all walks of life, and good folk in all walks too
            airport, lol

Comment

Anyone hear that Audio sent to Drogheda Gardai ?, apparently some big stuff gonna go down in relation to the recent body chopping of the poor young thug.

I do hope they keep it amongst themselves . To quote –there is gonna be fucking murder this weekend. Be careful who you buy your Charlie from in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                I dont think that would be fair on most MMA types. Gobshites in all walks of life, and good folk in all walks too
                I'm racist against people who think getting in a cage and punching someone into unconsciousness is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                  Less of the 'aul lad' stuff ffs!
                  Go back 10 years and only SP and I would have thanked this post.

WELCOME ABOARD BOYS .

Comment

As a social experiment ahead of the game this Sunday, the missus has been wearing a Liverpool Jersey all week . So far she’s been spat on twice. I wonder what will happen when she leaves the house ??
                    (Can't post images)

Comment

My money is on the Bradley brothers. Fatpuss

Comment

Enjoying the bit of banter bout "oul lads" above! I would, by any standard, fall in to that category by dint of my physical age (60+), although I think there is an attitudinal aspect as well - I know, as I'm sure we all do, people who were oul lads from when they were 13. Unfortunately we can't escape the passage of time, but in other ways (keeping up eg with trends in whatever hobbies etc we like; keeping up with current affairs; trying our best to have a range of friends/acquaintances across various age ranges - without gettin creepy about it!; etc) can try and stay abreast of things. From about my late-30's, I think I regarded an "oul fella" age group as people who were at least 10 years older than me; at this stage in my life though, I think I have to revise that down to 5 years older than me! That's not to even touch on the topic of "oul wans"! Much more controversial maybe. It's largely down to ones own opinion I guess ... it all reminds me, on a different but probably related topic, of the best definition of an alcoholic I've ever come across - "an alcoholic is someone that you don't like, who drinks as much as you do..."!

Comment

Has anyone ever made it past the first paragraph of a Miriam Lord article? Am I missing out?

Comment

Do you use Grammarly professionally Hitch? I've only ever seen ads for it, never tried it.

Comment

Was out having a pint with a mate last night and he cracked me up with this one.

Bar was shut and the manager was pottering about behind the bar. Mate whispers to him 'psst, scuse me, would there be any chance of a late drink'

Manager walks over to us and says 'sure, ok, what would you like?'

'Two Harvey Wallbangers please'
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Say it ain't so, Joe

Baseball’s toothless response to the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal lays bare uncomfortable truths about society’s tolerance for cheating
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Right, off to Montpellier. Looking forward to seeing some flamingos.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Right, off to Montpellier. Looking forward to seeing some flamingos.
                                      Montpellier is awesome! enjoy!!

Comment

How is it racist and homophobic to be of the belief that you need to be fully immersed in our heritage and culture and to be a family man/woman in order to lead our nation? I can slightly buy the latter but not the former. It is his opinion, it may be wrong but it’s not racist. Also, he may actually be racist but he’s not racist for having that opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          What's the rounder123 take on the Drawda situation?

(I see Probus is gone btw, looks like the building (probus + the old mazzonis) is being redeveloped.
                                          Yerra I know not much more than the next jackass and dont have anything very enlightening to add, just have a keen interest on the latest Dublin gangland. Its not what it used be ever since Gerry Hutch fled abroad. It really seems to be a gun for hire arrangement nowadays rather than the gangs themselves putting it down on the line. Its that and pockets of territory up for grabs with young clusters filling the vacum of the Kinihans exodus. Scroats that are behind on their coke repayments paying it back in favours so theres no knowing anymore like there used be in The Generals or Gilligans day. Coke them up and send them out on the hit it seems to be.

Regards Drawda it was an accident waiting to happen with the influx in population and the large scale stop on Garda recruitment around 2014. They barely had a garda station the nearest one Balbriggan. What a joke. No wonder the heads started taking over. If theres no visible Garda presence this will happen. And theres no use putting a bunch of young recruits in Drogheda thats next to useless. They need to deal with it like they did with the Dundons in Limerick. Just mither then with constant stop and searches.

And its happening again with Swords, Lusk and Rush. Swords is a rapidly growing and sprawling suburb and they have 2 cars and scant garda cover for the whole of it, a complete joke. No Gards station in Lusk and Rush which are 2 areas also both expanding and the nearest station is Balbriggan.

Probus finally gone yeah, was slated to go a few years ago so surprised it clung on so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                            How is it racist and homophobic to be of the belief that you need to be fully immersed in our heritage and culture and to be a family man/woman in order to lead our nation? I can slightly buy the latter but not the former. It is his opinion, it may be wrong but it’s not racist. Also, he may actually be racist but he’s not racist for having that opinion.
                                            What he was saying is that Leo couldn't have the same passion as he has for Ireland because his great grandfather is Indian.
                                            Don't see any room for ambiguity there

Comment

What would the definition of "fully immersed in our heritage and culture" be, and why would it be needed to lead the nation? Varadkar is currently leading the nation with his mixed heritage, so it's obviously a false premise anyway.

But if what he's trying to say is 'must be fully immersed in our heritage and culture' to lead the country well, then we're straight away saying there's some inherent quality in 'pure' Irish people that allows them to lead the nation properly that's unavailable to halvsies. What that ineffable quality might be I honestly couldn't imagine.

I'm very ambivalent about Varadkar, if not hostile towards him, but I find it hard to believe any issues I disagree with him on are things he doesn't get because he's half Indian while I being a pure and true Paddy know them but can't explain them.

Comment

That Sinn Fein lad has been suspended by the party, although I'm not sure how seriously thats taken within sinn fein

Comment

Define "fully immersed in our culture and heritage".
                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

What would the definition of "fully immersed in our heritage and culture" be, and why would it be needed to lead the nation? Varadkar is currently leading the nation with his mixed heritage, so it's obviously a false premise anyway.

But if what he's trying to say is 'must be fully immersed in our heritage and culture' to lead the country well, then we're straight away saying there's some inherent quality in 'pure' Irish people that allows them to lead the nation properly that's unavailable to halvsies. What that ineffable quality might be I honestly couldn't imagine.

I'm very ambivalent about Varadkar, if not hostile towards him, but I find it hard to believe any issues I disagree with him on are things he doesn't get because he's half Indian while I being a pure and true Paddy know them but can't explain them.
                                                    Whats a 'pure and true' Paddy?
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                      Born and bred in the Kingdom obv

Comment

In his defence, his name is Paddy.

Balls. Thought this was yer man

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                          Born and bred in the Kingdom obv
                                                          Where an inch is a mile.

Comment

That being said I dont think there is any real want or will to rid drugs in Ireland or any country. If there was you would think you would be able to achieve to stop the supply inside a compound such as a prison!. So if you cant stop drugs getting into a prison then good luck trying to stop the supply around the streets of a country in general.
                                                            They know they have to let it happen to keep the peace both inside and outside prisons.

Comment

I mean, I think the whole premise is totally flawed but I guess it's someone who is fully immersed in our identity and culture!

Comment

I mean, I think the whole premise is totally flawed but I guess it's someone who is fully immersed in our identity and culture!
                                                                Define "fully immersed in our culture and heritage".
                                                                I know you think its ridiculous. But there is some nebulous definition out there amongst all Irish people, just interested to hear yours, and Arazi's.

Comment

Thread title change to reflect ol lad demographic. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                    Gaybo was 80 odd
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                      What he was saying is that Leo couldn't have the same passion as he has for Ireland because his great grandfather is Indian.
                                                                      Don't see any room for ambiguity there
                                                                      Bit like I dunno.....Eamon de Valera then?

Could he not just say 'because he's got brown skin'. That's what he means after all.

Comment

Probably up there with those who thought Obama couldn't be US president.

Comment

Still a few young lads around, no change required yet.

Comment

Done
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                              Still a few young lads around, no change required yet.
                                                                              You don't know what you are missing

Comment

Bit like I dunno.....Eamon de Valera then?

Could he not just say 'because he's got brown skin'. That's what he means after all.
                                                                                What annoyed me more was his mams side of the family are all 'pure' Irish. Bit sexist to think that side had no say or instill national passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  Gaybo was 80 odd
                                                                                  I had a bad chicken sandwich yesterday.

Comment

Zuthroys bro The Reuter is at the ufcweigh in

Comment

*Solks joke*
                                                                                      If the song red red wine reminds you of your childhood
                                                                                      UB40 now

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                        7 day old grandniece having a bit of brain surgery in the morning. Inserting a shunt to drain fluid from the brain.
                                                                                        Postponed until tomorrow, as an emergency case came in.
                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                          *Solks joke*
                                                                                          If the song red red wine reminds you of your childhood
                                                                                          UB40 now
                                                                                          UB50 if you remember it was a Neil Diamond song 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                            Postponed until tomorrow, as an emergency case came in.
                                                                                            Good luck to the child. Can't think of anything more harrowing that your child being so ill

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                              Only started last night. Its very smart. Was up and running in about a minute.
                                                                                              Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                              Do you use Grammarly professionally Hitch? I've only ever seen ads for it, never tried it.
                                                                                              I've been using it for my team for about 2 years. It's decent enough, but is defo not idiot proof. Also have them using Pro Writing Aid, and it's big hit for some, and not for others. I'm in the latter camp.

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                              You up to date with Vikings ? ?
                                                                                              Sure am. Last 2 episodes have been the best of the season so far. Back enjoying it, instead of enduring it! What do you think?

Comment

Good luck to the child. Can't think of anything more harrowing that your child being so ill
                                                                                                It must be rough on her parents, having to just leave her there.
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                    Who do you find gets the most use out of it - halfway decent writers or poor writers? Same for Pro Writing Aid. Just wondering the level they are pitched at best as thinking about taking out a site licence for the school.
                                                                                                    We really use them for editing, as opposed to writing. We get a lot of our work from freelance writers, and I have a really good team of writers/editors inhouse that fine tune the content.

Neither are really suitable for poor writers imo. You still need to have an idea what you are doing. They will obviously help, you they won't make a poor writer into Shakespeare! It will help puncuation big time though. Grammarly would be my pick in general. Far easier to work with, and the feedback is more concise.

ProWritingAid plugs into Word, and i mostly got it for the Plagiarism checker (which costs extra and doesn't even work...) I don't agree with a lot of the other prompts it gives you either. A lot of free tools do somerhing smilar, such as these two that i use quite a lot.

The must-have free word counter that provides an extensive report about the word count, character count, keyword density, readability & many other useful stats.

Quickly check word count and writing mistakes by pasting your text into our free online word counter. Great for essays, papers, Google meta tags and more.

Comment

...

Comment

I know you think its ridiculous. But there is some nebulous definition out there amongst all Irish people, just interested to hear yours, and Arazi's.
                                                                                                        Here is all I am saying:

If I was advertising a job I would put in the application the qualities, experience required and abilities that I am looking for in potential applicants. Yer man obviously feels that to lead our nation (be the Taoiseach) these traits in his opinion include someone who is fully aware of and empathises with Irish Nationalist history. Its his belief that Varadkar due to some foreign lineage is his past does not fit this criteria - that's quite a stretch - and to be honest as I read my own explanation does border on being racist.

However, I don't feel that someone who was born and raised in the UK, US, Australia etc has the right qualities to lead our nation regardless of how brilliant they are politically, socio-economically etc as I don't think they would be at one with us as a people. I don't believe we are a melting pot of cultures. I believe that when immigrants come to Ireland with other cultures they should strive to adapt to our laws and our society rather than the other way around. If that makes me racist in someone elses eyes so be it. I hope that explains.

Comment

Effort to reward ratio is high on Grammarly. Have it installed for guys writing tenders for a long time and when they upgrade computers it's the first thing they ask to get installed alongside office and acrobat.
                                                                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I see the snowflake brigade are well and truly alive in here. Paddy H is a moron and as far from a politician as you will find. His comments come across as racist but I dont believe that was the intent.

The problem these days is that everything, no matter how small or trivial is classified as racism. It becomes so common that people dont even take note anymore because they just view it as I did, snowflake bullshit. Real racism exists in this country in every section of society and from all sides. Dont confuse those who actually threaten the peace and stability of our society with a moron from Jobstown who just doesnt understand he needs to think before he speaks
                                                                                                            pandapower99.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                                                                                                              I see the snowflake brigade are well and truly alive in here. Paddy H is a moron and as far from a politician as you will find. His comments come across as racist but I dont believe that was the intent.

The problem these days is that everything, no matter how small or trivial is classified as racism. It becomes so common that people dont even take note anymore because they just view it as I did, snowflake bullshit. Real racism exists in this country in every section of society and from all sides. Dont confuse those who actually threaten the peace and stability of our society with a moron from Jobstown who just doesnt understand he needs to think before he speaks
                                                                                                              While I detest the term snowflake, I agree with everything else 100%

Comment

It's a trip.

Babies are unreal. They don't feel sorry for themselves or get depressed. They just get on with it. They know nothing other than to try survive. I can only speak for the care in the cardiac side of things and it is as good as it gets anywhere in the world. I'm sure CC's grandneice will be in the best hands possible and crush it like so many of these sick babies. They're the real tough men and women on the planet.

Comment

However, I don't feel that someone who was born and raised in the UK, US, Australia etc has the right qualities to lead our nation regardless of how brilliant they are politically, socio-economically etc as I don't think they would be at one with us as a people. I don't believe we are a melting pot of cultures. I believe that when immigrants come to Ireland with other cultures they should strive to adapt to our laws and our society rather than the other way around. If that makes me racist in someone elses eyes so be it. I hope that explains.
                                                                                                                  So someone with say... a Spanish father and Irish mother, born in New York and then brought to Ireland as a child would not be "as one with us as a people".

Cause that describes Eamon De Valera.

Your point really doesn't hold a huge amount of water. By the way Leo was born and raised here. Unlike Tom Clarke, James Connolly, Erskine Childers...
                                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post

Do you have family members or friends who have to put up with casual racism every day of their lives?
                                                                                                                    Get out of your bubble and listen to people who are living it. If you do you'll find that there are degrees experienced, from the trivial 'Where are you really from?' to verbal and physical assaults. Ignoring the casual everyday stuff allows the the cynical populist politician to inflame those who are a real threat.

Comment

Here is all I am saying:

If I was advertising a job I would put in the application the qualities, experience required and abilities that I am looking for in potential applicants. Yer man obviously feels that to lead our nation (be the Taoiseach) these traits in his opinion include someone who is fully aware of and empathises with Irish Nationalist history. Its his belief that Varadkar due to some foreign lineage is his past does not fit this criteria - that's quite a stretch - and to be honest as I read my own explanation does border on being racist.

You're way off the mark here man!

You have an Irish passport you are as Irish as me my great great grandfather, Fionn McCool or anyone else you can name.

Probably doesn't make much sense out of context but this bit from the Cyclops episode of Ulysses nails the argument from when the Holohan of his day was allowed be a casual anti semite as well.

SPOILER

—But do you know what a nation means? says John Wyse.

—Yes, says Bloom.

—What is it? says John Wyse.

—A nation? says Bloom. A nation is the same people living in the same place.

—By God, then, says Ned, laughing, if that’s so I’m a nation for I’m living in the same place for the past five years.

So of course everyone had the laugh at Bloom and says he, trying to muck out of it:

—Or also living in different places.

—That covers my case, says Joe.

—What is your nation if I may ask? says the citizen.

—Ireland, says Bloom. I was born here. Ireland.

The citizen said nothing only cleared the spit out of his gullet and, gob, he spat a Red bank oyster out of him right in the corner.

—After you with the push, Joe, says he, taking out his handkerchief to swab himself dry.

—Here you are, citizen, says Joe. Take that in your right hand and repeat after me the following words.

The muchtreasured and intricately embroidered ancient Irish facecloth attributed to Solomon of Droma and Manus Tomaltach og MacDonogh, authors of the Book of Ballymote, was then carefully produced and called forth prolonged admiration. No need to dwell on the legendary beauty of the cornerpieces, the acme of art, wherein one can distinctly discern each of the four evangelists in turn presenting to each of the four masters his evangelical symbol, a bogoak sceptre, a North American puma (a far nobler king of beasts than the British article, be it said in passing), a Kerry calf and a golden eagle from Carrantuohill. The scenes depicted on the emunctory field, showing our ancient duns and raths and cromlechs and grianauns and seats of learning and maledictive stones, are as wonderfully beautiful and the pigments as delicate as when the Sligo illuminators gave free rein to their artistic fantasy long long ago in the time of the Barmecides. Glendalough, the lovely lakes of Killarney, the ruins of Clonmacnois, Cong Abbey, Glen Inagh and the Twelve Pins, Ireland’s Eye, the Green Hills of Tallaght, Croagh Patrick, the brewery of Messrs Arthur Guinness, Son and Company (Limited), Lough Neagh’s banks, the vale of Ovoca, Isolde’s tower, the Mapas obelisk, Sir Patrick Dun’s hospital, Cape Clear, the glen of Aherlow, Lynch’s castle, the Scotch house, Rathdown Union Workhouse at Loughlinstown, Tullamore jail, Castleconnel rapids, Kilballymacshonakill, the cross at Monasterboice, Jury’s Hotel, S. Patrick’s Purgatory, the Salmon Leap, Maynooth college refectory, Curley’s hole, the three birthplaces of the first duke of Wellington, the rock of Cashel, the bog of Allen, the Henry Street Warehouse, Fingal’s Cave—all these moving scenes are still there for us today rendered more beautiful still by the waters of sorrow which have passed over them and by the rich incrustations of time.

—Show us over the drink, says I. Which is which?

—That’s mine, says Joe, as the devil said to the dead policeman.

—And I belong to a race too, says Bloom, that is hated and persecuted. Also now. This very moment. This very instant.

Gob, he near burnt his fingers with the butt of his old cigar.

—Robbed, says he. Plundered. Insulted. Persecuted. Taking what belongs to us by right. At this very moment, says he, putting up his fist, sold by auction in Morocco like slaves or cattle.

—Are you talking about the new Jerusalem? says the citizen.

—I’m talking about injustice, says Bloom.

—Right, says John Wyse. Stand up to it then with force like men.

That’s an almanac picture for you. Mark for a softnosed bullet. Old lardyface standing up to the business end of a gun. Gob, he’d adorn a sweepingbrush, so he would, if he only had a nurse’s apron on him. And then he collapses all of a sudden, twisting around all the opposite, as limp as a wet rag.

—But it’s no use, says he. Force, hatred, history, all that. That’s not life for men and women, insult and hatred. And everybody knows that it’s the very opposite of that that is really life.

—What? says Alf.

—Love, says Bloom. I mean the opposite of hatred.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 17-01-20, 23:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                        So someone with say... a Spanish father and Irish mother, born in New York and then brought to Ireland as a child would not be "as one with us as a people".

Cause that describes Eamon De Valera.

Your point really doesn't hold a huge amount of water. By the way Leo was born and raised here. Unlike Tom Clarke, James Connolly, Erskine Childers...
                                                                                                                        Read what I said Kayroo, its not a book, its a few simple lines and it should be very clear. I said that IMO a person born and raised in the UK, US, Australia (or any other country for that matter) wouldn't meet my criteria regardless of any other magnificent attributes that they may have as being the right person to lead our country. I don't feel that they could be at one with us as a people.

That's not Eamon De Valera. That's someone like Donald Trump, Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          You're way off the mark here man!

You have an Irish passport you are as Irish as me my great great grandfather, Fionn McCool or anyone else you can name.

Probably doesn't make much sense out of context but this bit from the Cyclops episode of Ulysses nails the argument from when the Holohan of his day was allowed be a casual anti semite as well.

SPOILER

I haven't made any argument on what is or isn't "being Irish". I am simply saying that to be our leader (or indeed the leader of any sovereign, independent, free country) I believe that that person should be of that country and be reared there.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X