Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexiteer on Newsnight
    "17 million people voted to leave without a deal on March 29th"
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      Brexiteer on Newsnight
      Just some late night musings.

I was thinking about the 17 million figure that is always thrown about now. It's a country of 65+ million. Not everyone votes I know, but from the outside looking in, it seems a bit mad to keep parroting a clear lesser number than half the population. Wouldnt it be smarter to talk about the percentage margin, 52% or whatever. More wanted it to happen than not.

The guys in the leave campaign are clued in to the psyche though. This made me think by repeating the 17 million those that voted, can easily identify with being a minority in their own country, that they identify (randomly lets say white, poor, country folk, that's not technically true I know). The take back control feeds off this sentiment. You a minority as a white man in britain, remember when it used to be great, we need to keep the foreigners out so the true brits, us 17 million can control the country and not let the other 48 get in charge.

That's just me rambling.

Comment

Brexiteer on Newsnight
        They are going to fucking do it, the absolute mentalists

Had to check the top comment on Daily mails headline brexit article tonight, here it is in all its 17000 upvote glory
        NO DEAL on the 29th please! THATS ALL WE WANT!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Yeah Russian Doll is really quite unique.
          Just finished it, by far the best thing I’ve seen in ages

Comment

It is certainly the most interesting outcome.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

What kinda stuff are you getting done with python?

Comment

Adults apologizing for stuff they wrote when they were 15/16 is way worse/ more unforgivable then anything they would be apologizing for. Declan rice and Beto are this weeks exhibits just once I’d like the person whom the apology is been demanded of to just turn around and say fuck off, I was 15

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      What kinda stuff are you getting done with python?
                      Yeah curious on this too.

My place has integrated Jupyter Notebooks on their data so you can switch between languages.
                      Example organise the data via SQL, manipulate with Python all in the one script so should be some extra incentive to improve my Python.

I may look back over Hitchs course, I started one but it was quite old.

Comment

Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time ...

Opr

Comment

This work bonus scheme has me taking risks. I get paid (handsomely) for published research. Perhaps it's the impending heart operation but research output has moved into literally straospheric levels in recent months. What used to take me two/three years to do is now taking me a month. Usually less.

This is an absolute bastardisation of the research process, but we all respond to our incentives. It's meant to be about the knowledge not the cash. But seems the two go hand-in-hand quite well.

Was sitting down Tuesday with a choice of a guaranteed €2k from spending the week finishing a just-about-accepted piece of research. Then thought - fuck it - lets take a risk. Now I've spent those days creating something fairly groundbreaking (I think, but I'm getting better at thinking) for a journal that will get me a €13k bonus. In three days! Have developed this new code that used to take people literally years to do, and it just automates the whole thing. Actually no-one has ever done it before, because it was so time-consuming. There's probably a 30-40% chance of it being accepted, which oddswise is grand compared to the alternative €2k. Which is just waiting there anyway.

You couldn't believe what tools like Python make possible in terms of knowledge that previously just wasn't feasible. I'm averaging research submissions of the bonus equivalent of €15k a month for the last six months. Although they have to work out. And there's a variety of reasons why I'd maybe only get about €6k of each of those potential monthly bonuses (shared bonuses with colleagues etc). But still...

Was invited to apply for a position in Dublin of full prof, but kinda thinking I'd just fall asleep without a little bit of incentive. As you just get paid the money in Dublin regardless. And it's less money. So I'm reading all this books on self-actualisation and the positive future of society and turns out all I ever personally needed as incentive to do good was pure hard cash.

A long post-data-crunching post I know. Possibly without meaning, except for how we find weird meaning from things.
                          I read it twice and found zero reference to the IPB 2019 Aintree Tipping Competition.

Shocked and saddened.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Wow. Pass the deal next week or you are gone, kaput, buh-bye, see ya later.

May is some deal maker in fairness to her.
                            They did leave the door open to some kind of 'let us stay longer, we'll elect MEPs, get a new PM and things will be clearer' mythical solution.

May's deal will fail next week and then it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Now 11/4
                              Now the market has been removed from PP's politics page.

Hopefully just for repricing. Well done to anyone who got 10s on a hard Brexit.

Comment

It's pretty existential when you look at it.

There are two parties: A and B. A is a club bound together by international treaties whose members operate in enlightened self interest.
                                B is a member of A but has historically never been fully committed to the ideals and indeed the very idea of A.

Grumbling in B about A has, in the opinion of B's prime minister, come to such destabilising levels that he calls a referendum on membership of A. The people vote to leave.

From that point onwards, the behaviour of the respective polities diverges markedly.

A's politicians and institutions are focussed, clear and united.

B's cannot even agree what the hell they want, are totally disunited and eventually the very fabric of B's polity breaks down.

Having seen all this in action:
                                Why would any sane citizen of B consider the original decision still to be a wise one?
                                Why would any member of A not consider it's in their best interests to be shot of the dysfunctional, destabilising B?

Comment

Having seen all this in action:
                                  Why would any sane citizen of B consider the original decision still to be a wise one?
                                  Why would any member of A not consider it's in their best interests to be shot of the dysfunctional, destabilising B?
                                  From day one I have not heard anyone make a coherent even vaguely plausible argument that leaving would be a good thing.
                                  At this stage it's just like a person engaged in self harm, it's impossible to make them stop, they have to figure it out for themselves.

Comment

Nice.

Whether to rewatch the series in advance or not is a tricky question

Comment

Now the market has been removed from PP's politics page.

Hopefully just for repricing. Well done to anyone who got 10s on a hard Brexit.
                                      The price was for a no deal exit by the 30th March. The two week extension means that can't happen.
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah don't think there was a way to bet on an extended no deal unfor

Comment

Wow if this is true Boeing might as well just close up shop.

Safety features implicated in the Lion crash are sold as an optional extra

Boeing reportedly sold the 737 Max planes that crashed in Indonesia and Ethiopia without two safety features that the US aircraft manufacturer offers airlines for an additional cost.

The two safety features in question were an “angle of attack indicator” and an “angle of attack disagree light”, both of which were not included in the aircraft by Boeing as standard safety features

Comment

Looks like the regulators (FAA) are going to be in a bit of trouble too
                                            Last edited by Guest; 22-03-19, 10:30.

Comment

From day one I have not heard anyone make a coherent even vaguely plausible argument that leaving would be a good thing.
                                              At this stage it's just like a person engaged in self harm, it's impossible to make them stop, they have to figure it out for themselves.
                                              Wait until the actual trade talks start.

UK: we want A, B, C and D.

EU: fantastic! We have a very clear path for you to achieve your objectives and for us to have a mutually beneficial relationship.

UK: cool! What is it?

EU: join the EU. Now get out of my office.

Comment

Actually was an interesting vid posted on boards aviation forum about some whistleblowing from former Boeing employees about concerns with the manufacture of the Boeing 737 next generation, which are now around a while and probably flown on regularly by all of us

WARNING Boeing DID THE REPORT TO THE FFA , OF ITS NON COMPLIANCE 31MIN 02 SECOND IN THE INVESTIGATION (THIS VIDEO IS NOT FOR UNITED STATES CITIZENS TO VIEW,...

Author, Film-Maker & Investigative Journalist

The hearing will be the culmination of a 10-year battle by three very brave whistleblowers (and their lawyers) to expose potentially “catastrophic” construction flaws which may affect the quallity and safety of more than 1600 of the world’s most commonly-used passenger planes. It has been, from the outset, a David v. Goliath battle. Or rather a David v. two Goliaths. Boeing is a $90-billion p.a. behemoth: it is the world’s second-biggest aircraft manufacturer and for much of its recent history has been the second largest defence equipment supplier to the United States Government.

Comment

Pretty sure they give extensive counseling and in some cases take into care people who are self harming.

This isn’t really small cuts to cry for help but taking a chainsaw to your arm and being fully convinced it will grow back with 50% more muscle mass.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                    Pretty sure they give extensive counseling and in some cases take into care people who are self harming.

This isn’t really small cuts to cry for help but taking a chainsaw to your arm and being fully convinced it will grow back with 50% more muscle mass.
                                                    Fuck them at this stage.

The EU really put it up to parliament last night. They know there's no point dealing with May anymore.

Comment

Fuck them at this stage.

The EU really put it up to parliament last night. They know there's no point dealing with May anymore.
                                                      Tusk: according to the Pope, Hell is still empty, so there’s a lot of room

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah, the whole thing from start to finish is so different from how aviation normally works (multiple separate redundancies, tough thorough investigations etc). company is levered to the hilt, may help explain it.
                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 22-03-19, 12:06.

Comment

Did you not hear about the blue passports?

N.B. Ignore the fact that this was an available option anyway.

Comment

Comment

I'm still waiting for Zuuroys opinion. For all I know those features are as important as cupholders in a car.
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Blair coming across quite well.
                                                                Not that it's difficult in contrast to the headers over there
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Interesting stuff - seems like UK govt saying MV3 next week and when\if it fails, it will be followed by indicative non-whipped votes on:

Understand Number 10 now seriously considering indicative votes on Brexit next week. Government source tells me there could be 7 options: PM deal, revocation, second ref, deal + customs union, deal + customs + single market, FTA or no deal
                                                                  How the hell does that work? Parliament picks their preferred option and the powerless May conveys that message to the EU?

Comment

STV?

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                      I'm still waiting for Zuuroys opinion. For all I know those features are as important as cupholders in a car.
                                                                      Fuck those lads buzzing around in their glorified lawnmowers

I don't want to be sitting in a plane the airline has paid $60 million for that Boeing, months after the Lion crash are saying that an “angle of attack indicator” and an “angle of attack disagree light” are optional extras.

Very hard to frame Boeing's whole position as anything other than late stage capitalism gone off the wall batshit crazy.

Comment

Comment

Interesting stuff - seems like UK govt saying MV3 next week and when\if it fails, it will be followed by indicative non-whipped votes on:

How the hell does that work? Parliament picks their preferred option and the powerless May conveys that message to the EU?
                                                                          There could be zero or multiple of those options voted for though. What then? Some people might vote against one that they would actually accept because they would prefer an option that won't get accepted, but then the one they could have lived with isn't available anymore because they voted against it.

Comment

All the while ignoring the fact that the EEA countries don't want them in their club dominating it while complaining about being in it in the first place. The love ignoring facts, the brits.

Comment

...

Comment

She will become a zombie PM with a cabinet maybe even consisting of the likes of Letwin and Starmer

Time will be big problem , as ERG could attempt filibuster the progress of any amendments, however after the existing no deal rejection vote May would be morally obliged to sign off on that and in the face of obstructive tactics the only way to to that might have to be unilateral revocation followed by Euro and General elections.

Comment

It'll never happen.

Comment

She will become a zombie PM with a cabinet maybe even consisting of the likes of Letwin and Starmer

Time will be big problem , as ERG could attempt filibuster the progress of any amendments, however after the existing no deal rejection vote May would be morally obliged to sign off on that and in the face of obstructive tactics the only way to to that might have to be unilateral revocation followed by Euro and General elections.
                                                                                    'become a zombie PM' ...happened 2 years ago

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

And Alan Partridge casually singing rebel songs on prime time television.

The new series got off to a bad start but I just caught the last few minutes of this weeks one with this piece and it was the funniest thing i've seen on TV in ages
                                                                                        Double O feckin bollocks

Comment

'become a zombie PM' ...happened 2 years ago
                                                                                          Imagine the schadenfreude if she was forced to stay on as PM to carry out whatever formal duties are required under supervision of a committee led by Letwin and Starmer... too wonderful to contemplate

Comment

Cameron is probably out playing golf is he?

Comment

Fuck them at this stage.

Yup fuck them indeed, next general election will be interesting as a lot of fuck wits will loose there seats if they go as a backlash but if they stay a lot of fuck wits will get elected as a backlash.

They will either get a functional govt outside the eu or an even shittier one within it. Stay or go there is a good decade of fucked in store either way.

Comment

@Hitch, I mentioned years ago that the psychologist Martin Seligman used a technique called Content Analysis of Verbatim Explanations as a proxy measure of optimism, deriving it from quotes from people. His optimism score was compounded from scores on the permanence, personal, and pervasiveness of the explanations.

One interesting thing he and his students did with it with sport was spend huge amounts of time analysing newspaper quotes from baseball and basketball and deriving optimism scores using the technique and looking for correlations with future performances within certain parameters. And it seemed to work. Here is how he summed it up:

Consider the basketball and baseball studies together. They show:
                                                                                                • Teams, and not just individuals, have a meaningful and measurable
                                                                                                explanatory style.
                                                                                                • Explanatory style predicts how teams will do above and beyond how
                                                                                                "good" a team is.
                                                                                                • Success on the playing field is predicted by optimism.
                                                                                                • Failure on the playing field is predicted by pessimism.
                                                                                                • Explanatory style works by means of how a team does under pressure-after a loss or in the late innings of close games.
                                                                                                Since reading it I always wondered if it had genuine useful predictive capacity for sports betting, or other fields. He did all this stuff manually some 35 years ago, what someone like you could do now with software more easily.

He writes about it in his book Learned Optimism, chapter 9 is the sports one.

I don't see how it relates to, say, market sentiment that you mentioned as that is something external to individual performance, but I can think of many situations it would be relevant to.

This could well be an anachronistic nothing as for all I know there may be a very well developed and sophisticated field of analysing media content for phenomena predictive of future performance. It's just always something which has stuck with me, wondering was he onto something with the combination of optimism as a construct and CAVE as a measure of it from media reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                  Cameron is probably out playing golf is he?
                                                                                                  Or fucking dead pigs

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                      Tune into 426 Racing TV tonight (which is freeview on Friday evenings from 6 - 9 I think) to listen to yours truly talk nonsense about his favourite topic. Dundalk racing.
                                                                                                      Get some Brexit digs in.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                        @Hitch, I mentioned years ago that the psychologist Martin Seligman used a technique called Content Analysis of Verbatim Explanations as a proxy measure of optimism, deriving it from quotes from people. His optimism score was compounded from scores on the permanence, personal, and pervasiveness of the explanations.

One interesting thing he and his students did with it with sport was spend huge amounts of time analysing newspaper quotes from baseball and basketball and deriving optimism scores using the technique and looking for correlations with future performances within certain parameters. And it seemed to work. Here is how he summed it up:

Since reading it I always wondered if it had genuine useful predictive capacity for sports betting, or other fields. He did all this stuff manually some 35 years ago, what someone like you could do now with software more easily.

I don't see how it relates to, say, market sentiment that you mentioned as that is something external to individual performance, but I can think of many situations it would be relevant to.

This could well be an anachronistic nothing as for all I know there may be a very well developed and sophisticated field of analysing media content for phenomena predictive of future performance. It's just always something which has stuck with me, wondering was he onto something with the combination of optimism as a construct and CAVE as a measure of it from media reports.
                                                                                                        The current relevance of this is negated by the fact that is has been discovered, Modern athletes have ,whether teams or individuals, psychological coaches now teaching them this very thing. Thats why quotes from athletes now are practically irrelevant (and boring) with a mass of people all saying the same thing

Now crowd sourcing media or gen pop quotes (internet) would be an entirely different beast and could lead to some interesting results

Comment

Super Johnny Walters has finished up

Comment

My favourite Brexit commentator is depressingly on the money this week.

Comment

Don't really care about airliners. Happy with me lawnmower. Do care about me Boeing shares though.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                Super Johnny Walters has finished up

Bit of a legend. One of those give 100% types you'd be happy to see pull on the Jersey despite his limited skill set.

Class reply from the DFB account.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I remember reading that in the book (fantastic book). I think it was measured vs the handicap and the teams where the coach was defined as more optimistic, beat it. I did think at the time it was an edge in an efficient betting market.

Comment

...

Comment

Oooooh. Mueller report published.

Comment

He let the hype build for too long , bound to be a disapointment, won’t be a hit with the man on the street just political anoraks. That’s my prediction.

Comment

So a little update on London trip.

A girl I grew up with in Dundrum Tipperary, ie daughter of Dundrum house hotel owners lives in Brentwood. We were friends when we were like aged 10 to maybe 14 ish. Dundrum is small know her whole family most of my life all sound out. They used to own our local pub too.

So I sent her a pm asking for advice also, and em she insisted that myself and Mia are going to stay with her and she was adamant.

Convo was going on for hours but I knew she was out drinking champagne in some posh restaurant in London 6 hrs, previous so I said ah ill get back to you when your sober etc..

But no was having none of it. Made me book flight last night to Stanstead.

She booked everybody's talking about Jamie musical said Gosh mia will love it and she's super excited!!!

And will collect us in her porsche cayenne from airport

Was thinking then this morn ah heorr she will wake up and go ugh why did I invite them lol as iv done it myself often. But she sent me a pm at 5 pm :

I think I fell asleep during our dialogue last night ���� can you email me your itinerary when you get a sec please!! Xxxxxxx@gmail.com and I’ll put it all in the diary!! I also just remembered your a clean freak so I’m stressing out already ������

I haven't spoke to her in 25 odd yrs she is extremely posh, owns a boutique in Brentwood that kits out celebs, im like ah fuck this could be a disaster

She follows mias stuff on fb and loves her and asked does she like dance that her nephew who is 15 does and she could book them in for a dance class. Mia was em no ma!!!

So anyway fuck it free accmodation, collected from airport in a porsche ( I'll get some milage out of this on fb )

And thank fuck she absolutely loves the oul alcohol!!!

Ah well either way this is going to be very interesting!!!

Oh and she is like a fucking model won't be doing much selfies lol
                                                                                                                          Last edited by SatNav; 23-03-19, 00:07.
                                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X