The "Losing Hurts" Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Losing Hurts" Log

Now that the prop bet is over, and I failed miserably to achieve my goals I felt it was best to move all future posts to this thread.

For anyone who missed it, the prop bet thread is here http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=3605

For those who did read it, a reminder of starting weight and current weight

May 3rd 2010
    Starting Weight: 101.3Kg

August 16th 2010
    Weight: 92Kg

This week I've had 4 sessions in the gym so far;

Monday Morning

10k run in 51.29

Monday Evening

Barbell Bicep Curls (3*10) 27.5kg
    Bodyweight Tricep Dips (3*15)
    Dumbell Bench Press (3*10) 15kg
    Lat Pulldown (3*10) 50kg
    Pectoral Machine (3*10) 40Kg

25 mins Crosstrainer Level 6 Intervals.

Tuesday Morning

25km Exercise Bike 41.20

Wednesday Morning

Dumbell Bench Press (3*10) 15kg
    Dumbell One Arm Row (3*10) 20kg

5k run in 25.58

I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Ideally I'd like to lose another 10kg or so and get my 5k time down to around 20 minutes or so.

We'll see how I get on.
    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Good luck with this Iago!

That seems like a helluva lot of working out you're doing!!!

Comment

losing 20lb without crash dieting is no joke. well done.

Comment

well done on the weight loss lago
        if only i could get down to your starting weight i would be happy

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Well done so far and best of luck going forward!
          "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

I know I keep saying this, but you could be using your time in the gym so much more effectively.

Obv mucho respect for the loss so far, but its going to get harder and harder to keep losing it.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I had a pretty long post typed out, and I lost it.

Don't have to time to do it again, but a summary,

I agree with the above re. effective time

Swapp some of the cardio for HIIT

Weights are good, but bicep curls are a waste of time, they don't use enough energy.
              include more compound lifts, bench press and varients (incline, decline), squat, deadlift, dips, pull ups, military press, rows etc

If you have questions, I can go into more details

Comment

Id also be interested in how to spend gym time most efficiently if CP or Mellor want to expand.

Need to get some fitness and weight loss going quickly.

Good job so far Iago.
                Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I'll stick up a lengthy post later if you want Marvin. I'm sure it'll help out Iago too.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Eight-Ball View Post
                    well done on the weight loss lago
                    if only i could get down to your starting weight i would be happy
                    Cheers mate, it all starts with taking the first step. Once you get yourself going you'll be surprised how quickly you see changes. If you're serious about it start right now, even just go for a walk to get you started.

Originally posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
                    I know I keep saying this, but you could be using your time in the gym so much more effectively.

Obv mucho respect for the loss so far, but its going to get harder and harder to keep losing it.
                    You're completely right, but also slightly wrong

I think for the main goal I had in mind i.e. completing the 10k in a good time, I had no choice but to do a lot of steady state cardio building up general endurance and increasing my pace over a period of 40-60 minutes at a time. Doing 20 minutes HIIT every day/second day would probably have prompted higher weight loss but I'd of been completely unprepared for a distance of 10k at the end of it.

As far as moving forward goes, yes I need to completely alter my programme. I have a meeting booked with a PT for next week to run through proper form on squat, deadlift, military press & bench press. Once I've got that instruction I think my programme will look something like

Monday: Squat, deadlift, bicep curl, tricep dips & 20/25 minutes HIIT

Tuesday: Long Run/Cycle/Rower

Wednesday: Military Press, Bench Press, Weighted Lunges, Leg Press & 20/25 minutes HIIT

Thursday: Long Run/Cycle/Rower

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: Squat, Deadlift, Military Press, Bench Press & collapse

Sunday: Rest Day

or something similar.

While I'm waiting to meet the PT I'm just working through the exercises I know and loading on cardio to keep improving my endurance and stamina.

I'll stick up a lengthy post later if you want Marvin. I'm sure it'll help out Iago too.
                    This would be great, the above is just my uneducated thoughts so far. I've no idea whether it's feasible or foolhardy. I'm always open to getting advice from people who have been there before or are involved in training at the moment.

Comment

As Mellor has already said sub in HIIT rather than the steady sate stuff. Keep the 10k run if you like it though, thats fantastic work. I really dont like the stationary bike, you could spend hours on a bike and not expend as much energy or achieve as much as a 20min HIIT rower session. Maybe you might consider some metcons from crossfit too.

Your weights workout needs a lot more work to be honest. Squat, Dead, Bench and Military will reap the biggest rewards for you. throw in pullups and you have almost a weeks work in those five excercises. Maybe add in some plank/bridging for core strength too.

Oh and cut out the bicep curls, on a cost benefit analysis they are worthless If you want to pump the guns (which you wont after the pullups) you could a hammercurl bent over row superset....burns like fck
                      Last edited by TomD; 19-08-10, 14:58.

Comment

Ok well before I go ahead Im gonna say I'm still learning. I am by no means an expert and am not infallible. I am however training every day, whether its Rugby, Soccer or lifting things and I know what worked for me (this is susprisingly the most accepted way also).

Losing weight101:

Its very simple really. Calories in < Calories out= weight loss. How you achieve this is somewhat irrelevant. If you live by that simple equation you are not going wrong. You can achieve that by one of two ways. Eat Less or Do More.

Doing both will obviously give better results and lessen the lifestyle change. Doing more is taking the stairs, walking to work, cycling to the shops. Eating less is not having that chocolate bar at lunch, not using bread to mop up your dinner plate sauce or simply just not eating such large portions. LEAVE FOOD BEHIND. Its ok.

Training for Weight Loss:

Now that the basics are out of the way, I'll get onto the type of training that gives the best bang for your buck but its VERY important to remember, you will not make any real progress without sorting your diet, its paramount.

When people say running is pointless for losing weight, they are wrong. Its not. Its actually great for it, any activity is but the TYPE of weight your likely to lose isn't really what you want to lose. In people who dont do some form of muscle work it generally leads to being "skinny fat" like this guy:

No one wants to look like that. Its not in anyway attractive to anyone and its actually misleadingly dangerous in some cases.

The best things to be doing while trying to lose weight are:
                        a) Heavy Full body workouts
                        b) High Intensity Interval Training

Lifting Stuff:

The reasons for lifting heavy are by working the muscles using very heavy weights your stimulating hormones in your body that are conducive to weight loss i.e. Testosterone and Human Growth Hormone. If your a newbie to Weigth training its entirely possible you will put on some muscle too (this is usually very tough, nigh impossible on a calorie deficit). Increased muscle leads to a higher metabolism and means you burn more calories watching Entourage.

Most importantly though is that by lifting heavy ass weights, you are burning a shit load of calories on the spot AND for up to 72 hours afterwards.

The best benefit of destroying yourself this way is that even if you are pudgy you'll wear it better. You wont look near as flabby, but after time (even if your the same weight) you'll look more solid, more muscly.

HiiT:
                        Hiit is just as important as lifting heavy things in the greater scheme of things. Its beauty is it can be done ANYWHERE with NO equipment but your tired weather beaten body. People who adhere to a programme of this 3 times a week burn 9 times more body fat than those who run mindless laps of a pitch.

You can do HiiT with weights too, boxers would call this conditioning work, lighter weights, more reps, very fast with little breaks.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

OK so the basics and the types of training we should be doing have been covered. Now lets look at the exercises inside of the training which will work the most muscles(more Test, HGH sent around and more calories burned).

Squats: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...FullSquat.html

The fundamental exercise. Nothing better for getting the whole body working. Gets the biggest muscles working too. Your Glutes(ASS boyos) and your Quads(thighs).

Deadlifts: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

Similar to above in what it stimulates but also gives your lower back a hammering.

Bench Press: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

The typical gym exercise. Everyone knows it and loves it. "how much can you bench". Never mind that though. Its another killer exercise.

Thats the trinity. They should be the bread and butter of ANY programme. If they aren't your probably wasting your time.

Add to these things like Military Presses, Bent Over Rows, Shoulder Presses, Power Cleans and you have a workout that works your whole body.

Pull ups, Chin ups, Dips and the reliable Push ups are all VERY important too. These should be incorporated into all programmes also.

With regards to Hiit:

It generally follows an easy format. Balls out for a minute, 2 minutes rest. 6-10 times. Shorten as required. You can do it by sprinting, you can do it by cycling, rowing or by lifting lighter weights, by putting x amount of push ups back to back with pull ups back to back with bodyweight squats and lunges. But the PRINCIPLE is GO BALLS OUT. You should be gasping for air, heaving, wanting to lie down and not get up after each set.

I should mention a few things NOT to do also.

Don't waste your time bicep curling, or actually, dont waste your time doing anything that only stimulates one muscle, or a small muscle. Tricep Kickbacks, Curls, Leg Presses etc are all, for the most part, pointless. You'll get those muscles worked and a hell of a lot more by doing the above exercises.

Don't use training as an excuse to eat like a pig and to justify your shitty eating habits. Use it as a means to an end and only YOU are in control of how quickly that end comes.

Don't binge on carbs. By all means have them before and after training (personally I dont and find it has no effect on my training) but if you need them, be honest first, and then take some decent carbs. Oats or Green Veggies. Pastas and rices are pretty much nutritionally retarded. Carbs also bloat most people even if they dont know it and they are addictive. I find that if Im very good diet wise for a week and have an easy day I crave carbs for the following days. Not good.

Don't fall off the wagon on weekends because the structure of a work day isnt there for you. You WILL undo all the good work and its very easy to do so, much easier than you'd imagine. By all means treat yourself every now and again and enjoy it because you earned it but its a treat.

One more thing, success in weight loss, or anything, comes from consistency. If you can maintain your training and eating right 90% of the time you will lose weight. Its tough, but nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I think I'm done, I can't really add any more to that. Im sure if Ive made any mistakes they will be corrected by BK or Mellor or whoever pretty soon but I think its all ok, its worked for me.

GL

Comment

Excellent post CaptainPlanet.

Can't agree more on the heavy lifting. Squats are basically the greatest exercise of them all for generating more testosterone in your body. Do them and you will see amazing results.

Comment

Ok, had another big post written out, and database went down, again.

I'll try once more, and maybe somehow save this one.

ok, so first of all, i've no formal background in any of this. But about a year ago I had a diet and excercise makeover, I get sucked into things pretty easy and ended up doing a lot of reading on various areas, excercise, diet etc. I still do this and there is lots of handy short pieces on the likes of yahoo and men's health/fitness.

I agree with everything TomD and Capt.Planet said. Here's my own views, just to reinforce and cover any area missed.

Cardio
                            In terms of the prop bet steady state cardio, working towards dropping 5k times and upping the distance to 10k was probably best. You needed a way to guage your progress, and a goal to get closer to. For weight loss, it wasn't the worst option either, as in the beginning anything you do will show good results.
                            However, that wears off, and you'll plateau.
                            It look's like you are doing 3 weihts sessions, and 2 cardio a week, stick with this. as I said i'd like to see some HIIT included in the cardio. Keep some of the stead state though, I'd suggest (for both sessions);
                            Warm up (1-1.5km on the treadmill)
                            Stretch/Foam roll
                            5k treadmill/30 mins bike etc
                            HIIT for 15-25 minutes
                            Bike 2min easy/1minute hard, repeat 5-8times, OR
                            Rower 500m flat out, 1-2min rest repeat 4-6 times

For HIIT you should be dead after it, jelly legs etc, you shouldn't be able to go past 15-25 minutes. If you can then you aren't doing it hard enough on the hard section, the easy should be very easy to recover. I normally struggle to hit 20 mins.
                            HIIT basically keeps your body at an elevated level hours after you finish.

Weights
                            Weights are good for weight loss. Contrary to popular believe, it won't see you grow huge muscles everyewhere, for this you need to be eating above maintenance calories, it won't happen if you are eating a calorie deficit (which you should be). The only exception is slight "toning' in the beginning, but tbh, appearance is better than the number on the scales.

The idea behind weights training for weight loss is basically "lifting heavy things uses up energy (ie. calories)". So with this in mind, it stands to reason that the movements were you lift the biggest weight burn the most energy. These are generally the compound lifts. (FYI that section mentions appearance but is refering only to muscle building, not weight loss). Isolation lifts like curls only work a small section of muscle and aren't a good use of time in the gym. E.g. wrist curls get a massive burning feeling going quickly, but aren't actually using many calories.

The lifts I'd include, once you are shown the correct form by a trainer;

Bench press, inc incline/decline, barbell/dumbell etc
                            Squat
                            Deadlift
                            Military press

These are your big lifts, biggest weight or range of motion. Always start with these, as you want to be as close to 100% as possible.

Pull-ups/Chin-ups
                            Dips (on parallel bars)

These are very hard, its common to be able only to preform a few reps. It's annoying, but stick with it and the numbers should increase slowly.

Bent over row,
                            Upright row
                            Inverted row
                            Lat pull down
                            Dumbell shoulder press
                            Chest fly (cable or dumbell)
                            Lunges (weighted)

These are some of the remaining compound lifts. There is too many there to do in one session, so splitting it into 2 or cutting out some is required. Personally, I do all of them over two sessions. Chest/Legs and Back/Shoulders.
                            If you have time to kill at the end, its ok to finish up with some isolation excercises. However, if you work hard enough, and do enough sets with the compounds you shouldn't be able to.

As always any questions, fire away.
                            I might start my own log actually. See how it goes.

Comment

Excellent posts above. It has inspired me to buy some nicotine patches, give up the ciggs and go for a run..

btw, can you recommend a good HIIT routine for doing at home. Im working long hours these days and its hard to get the time to go to the gym during the week.

Comment

After falling off the wagon pretty spectacularly at the end of last week (no training after Wed + eating out + copious amounts of rum & beer for the weekend) I got back on the horse this morning.

Managed to break 25 minutes for my 5k which I'm delighted with, now just have to keep shaving the seconds off as I go. Meeting with a PT later this week to get proper form on the compound lifts of Squat, Military Press, Deadlift etc so will completely shake up my programme once I do so.

Monday Morning

Dumbell Bench Press (4*10) 17.5kg
                                One Arm Bent Over Row (4*10) 20kg
                                Lat Pulldown (3*10) 50kg

5k Run Treadmill 24.44 (broke 25 minutes for the first time)

Comment

Two weeks ago, I included this as part of my post from a session the week before

Originally posted by Iago 10/08/10
                                  - I did (although I hesitate to call it by these terms) a "mini indoor triathlon"
                                  1k on the Rowing Machine
                                  20k on the Bike
                                  5k on the treadmill

71.12mins all in
                                  Today I replicated it as my cardio day to see if I had made any improvements over the last 3 weeks.

1k on the rowing machine {4m 18s}
                                  5k on the treadmill {25m 17s}
                                  20k on the bike {34m 43s}

Total time: 64m 18s

Although I've cut 10% of my time (and I have to be at least somewhat happy with that) I'm disappointed that I didn't break 25m for the treadmill and that I didn't get below 4m on the rower.

The plan for the next cardio session involving the above is to increase the bike distance to 25k & the rower to 5k. Once I get a few weeks of doing that I plan to move the treadmill up to 8k and see how I get on.

Comment

It depends on your rowing/running style, but generally the best way to make a time for something like the above is consistant pace.
                                    Some people start slowish and increase every few minutes, you end up losing too much time early on. Periodic bursts and rests aren't great either as you lose too much messing around with the speed, plus it will tire you more, easy to over do the rest.
                                    keep that for your HIIT later or the next day.

EG, its easier to run at 12kmph for 3 minutes,
                                    than it is to run at 10 for 2 minutes and 16 for 1 minute (average 12kmph)

Setting the treadmill at 12kmph will come in just outside 25m (loses time getting up to 12kmph), include a sprint finish and you'll break 25min.

The best way i've found to make times on the rower is using the pace boat. Don't just start rowing.
                                    Assuming you are using a concept2 rower (which you almost definately are),
                                    Go to "Workouts" > "New workout" > "Single distance" > enter 1000 for distance and use the arrows to the last line, where it says optional pace boat. Enter 2:00 for pace per 500m.
                                    Press on check mark to start. before you row, you'll need to display the pace boat. Press "change display" until you see 2 little boats. start rowing.
                                    Keep your eye on your average time/500m and try to stay pretty close to the pace boat. Its ok if you are a little behind towards the end, sprint the last 150m and overtake.
                                    also, what setting/level do you have the rower on?

As for the bike, bad news here i'm afraid.
                                    Bike are are known for being a bit random with the speed/distance they display. The other two are easily calibrated, but the bike relies on a resistance belt or similar, this will wear over time and change the resistance, but maybe not the display. Also the way the bike calculates it may differ between brands or even models. Two identical bikes could have different results.
                                    The only way around this is to use the exact same bike were possible.

Comment

When you get shown the ropeheld the lifts and start doing them you'll prob notice the more cardio you do, the less progress you make on your lifts! Since I've started pre season rugby added to my soccer training I've noticed a serious step back on my lifts!

Something to watch out for!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        It depends on your rowing/running style, but generally the best way to make a time for something like the above is consistant pace.
                                        Some people start slowish and increase every few minutes, you end up losing too much time early on. Periodic bursts and rests aren't great either as you lose too much messing around with the speed, plus it will tire you more, easy to over do the rest.
                                        keep that for your HIIT later or the next day.

EG, its easier to run at 12kmph for 3 minutes,
                                        than it is to run at 10 for 2 minutes and 16 for 1 minute (average 12kmph)

Setting the treadmill at 12kmph will come in just outside 25m (loses time getting up to 12kmph), include a sprint finish and you'll break 25min.
                                        I tend to build up, so I'll go something like;

3 minutes at 10km/h
                                        3 minutes at 10.5km/h
                                        3 minutes at 11.5km/h
                                        3 minutes at 12km/h
                                        12 minutes at 12.5km/h

and try and get up over 13 for the last 1k or so.

If I go straight to 12km/h then I find that after a couple of minutes I'm struggling and have to slow back down. By building up I'm able to keep going but I probably need to drop it to 2 minute intervals or something. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow anyway.

Comment

Last two sessions last week were as below, I didn't do anything on Wednesday

Thursday Morning

really crap session to be honest, my head wasn't screwed on going and I was tired and drained after not sleeping the night before. I really should have just skipped it or at least waited until Thursday evening before going down.

1k on the rower 4m 40s

30 minutes on the crosstrainer, 2m off at 130rpm+ and 1m on at 200rpm+

Friday morning

Was supposed to meet the PT today but he had a family emergency and had to put if off. As I was going anyway I just went through my usual session

Dumbell Bench Press (4*10) 17.5kg
                                          Lat Pulldown (3*10) 50kg
                                          One Arm Row (4*10) 22.5kg
                                          Leg Press (3*10) 160kg
                                          Leg Curl (3*10) 50kg
                                          Leg Extension (3*10) 50kg

25m crosstrainer, 2m off (130rpm+) 1m on (200rpm+)

Saturday & Sunday I was in Manchester eating crap and drinking copious amounts of alcohol I'm going off Alcohol for at least the next 6 weeks as I try to make real progress on the weight and training.

Comment

Monday Morning

Phase 2 of my training started this morning. I'll be adding in compound exercises as outlined below, and I'll be looking to keep my calorie consumption to <1800 a day for the next 4-6 weeks. Or at least that's the plan at any rate

Met with the PT this morning after we had to cancel last week.

Probably not the best time to have the session given the weekend I was coming back from, but I wasn't willing to delay it again.

Started with a superset of Bench Press & Squat
                                            barbell bench press
                                            1*12 @ 20kg (just the bar itself)
                                            1*12 @ 30kg
                                            1* 10 @ 40kg
                                            1*10 @ 50kg

Squat
                                            1*12 @ 20kg (bar only)
                                            1*12 @ 30kg
                                            2*12 @ 40kg

Then we moved onto a superset of Deadlifts & Barbell Shoulder Press
                                            Deadlift
                                            1*12 @ 30kg
                                            3*12 @ 60kg

Shoulder Press
                                            3*12 @ 20kg (bar only)
                                            1*12 @ 30kg

Next up was a superset of Assisted Pull Ups & Dumbbell Thrusters
                                            Assisted Pull Ups
                                            3*10 @ 60kgs
                                            1* 10 @ 50kgs

Dumbbell Thrusters
                                            4*10 @ 6kgs

and finished up with 15m on the cross trainer, 40secs off at 130rpm+ 20 secs on at 200rpm+

Obviously the weights are very low starting off as I'm trying to make sure that the form and technique is right, but I'll be looking to move up weights fairly consistently over the next few weeks.

Comment

Don't worry about the low weights, technique is more important at the minute.
                                              Squats and deadlifts can be easily done wrong, once you get the form down
                                              you see big improvmentd

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                Monday Morning

Phase 2 of my training started this morning. I'll be adding in compound exercises as outlined below, and I'll be looking to keep my calorie consumption to <1800 a day for the next 4-6 weeks. Or at least that's the plan at any rate

Met with the PT this morning after we had to cancel last week.

Probably not the best time to have the session given the weekend I was coming back from, but I wasn't willing to delay it again.

Started with a superset of Bench Press & Squat
                                                barbell bench press
                                                1*12 @ 20kg (just the bar itself)
                                                1*12 @ 30kg
                                                1* 10 @ 40kg
                                                1*10 @ 50kg

Squat
                                                1*12 @ 20kg (bar only)
                                                1*12 @ 30kg
                                                2*12 @ 40kg

Then we moved onto a superset of Deadlifts & Barbell Shoulder Press
                                                Deadlift
                                                1*12 @ 30kg
                                                3*12 @ 60kg

Shoulder Press
                                                3*12 @ 20kg (bar only)
                                                1*12 @ 30kg

Next up was a superset of Assisted Pull Ups & Dumbbell Thrusters
                                                Assisted Pull Ups
                                                3*10 @ 60kgs
                                                1* 10 @ 50kgs

Dumbbell Thrusters
                                                4*10 @ 6kgs

and finished up with 15m on the cross trainer, 40secs off at 130rpm+ 20 secs on at 200rpm+

Obviously the weights are very low starting off as I'm trying to make sure that the form and technique is right, but I'll be looking to move up weights fairly consistently over the next few weeks.
                                                Personally i would split this session between two seperate days (with one or two days in between). Day 1: Back and Shoulders Day 2: Legs and Chesticles...BUT whatever is working for you

Keep up the good work and dont worry about how heavy anything is. Get the technique right and the strength will follow.

I dont know how to put this nicely.....Your rower time is shit, work harder! Try to hit 2.10/500 next time out and then 2.00/500 the week after.

On a seperate note, how did you come up with 1800kcals as your limit per day?

Comment

Two weeks ago, I included this as part of my post from a session the week before

Today I replicated it as my cardio day to see if I had made any improvements over the last 3 weeks.

1k on the rowing machine {4m 18s}
                                                  5k on the treadmill {25m 17s}
                                                  20k on the bike {34m 43s}

Total time: 64m 18s

Although I've cut 10% of my time (and I have to be at least somewhat happy with that) I'm disappointed that I didn't break 25m for the treadmill and that I didn't get below 4m on the rower.

The plan for the next cardio session involving the above is to increase the bike distance to 25k & the rower to 5k. Once I get a few weeks of doing that I plan to move the treadmill up to 8k and see how I get on.
                                                  Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                  Personally i would split this session between two seperate days (with one or two days in between). Day 1: Back and Shoulders Day 2: Legs and Chesticles...BUT whatever is working for you

Keep up the good work and dont worry about how heavy anything is. Get the technique right and the strength will follow.

I dont know how to put this nicely.....Your rower time is shit, work harder! Try to hit 2.10/500 next time out and then 2.00/500 the week after.

On a seperate note, how did you come up with 1800kcals as your limit per day?
                                                  You're right but that was a bad day as I said. You obv missed the post above with the rower from earlier in the week still shit, just not as shit!!

I'm happy to split it but the PT has suggested trying to keep it all as one session on every second day. I think if I start increasing the weights it'll probably need to be split out, but for now I guess it's ok (or at least, he knows more than I do about it)

The 1800kcals came from him as well, we were chatting about diet this morning and I said I've been fluctuating between 2,000 and 2,500 a day while burning 3,000+ and his take on it was that I should really be coming in between 1,500-1,800 if I want to lose weight. So I'm going to work off that for a while and see how I get on.

Comment

You're right but that was a bad day as I said. You obv missed the post above with the rower from earlier in the week still shit, just not as shit!!.
                                                    LOL, i see it now. From now on, even on the shittiest of days dont go below 2.10/500, in a few weeks tell yourself you'll never go below 2.00/500 and stick to it. It takes balls, determination and a bit of fck you to train on the rower...you'll get that the more you use it. Oh and norwegian formula handcream is the answer to a question you'll ask in a few weeks.

I'm happy to split it but the PT has suggested trying to keep it all as one session on every second day. I think if I start increasing the weights it'll probably need to be split out, but for now I guess it's ok (or at least, he knows more than I do about it)
                                                    Ok, he obviously just wants to get your volume of work up before splitting it out.

The 1800kcals came from him as well, we were chatting about diet this morning and I said I've been fluctuating between 2,000 and 2,500 a day while burning 3,000+ and his take on it was that I should really be coming in between 1,500-1,800 if I want to lose weight. So I'm going to work off that for a while and see how I get on.
                                                    I dont agree with a 1200+ daily deficit, i think thats a shortcut to crashing and burning out quickly. A 500 daily deficit should be enough for anyone who is training. Otherwise you just wont have the energy to train.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                      Oh and norwegian formula handcream is the answer to a question you'll ask in a few weeks.
                                                      LOL, very true.
                                                      Must get some more myself

Comment

Tuesday

Was a shit day.

My quads felt on fire after Monday. I wouldn't mind but I purposely arrived early on Monday to get a good 15 minutes of stretching in before I started, and took 20 minutes afterwards to stretch everything out before I went down to the steam room.

Anyway just did a light cardio session and a lot of stretching yesterday.

5k on the Treadmill in 25mins 20secs

Wednesday

10mins warmup on the treadmill at 9km/h

barbell bench press
                                                        3* 10 @ 45kg

Squat
                                                        2*10 @ 40kg
                                                        1*10 @ 50kg

Deadlift
                                                        3*10 @ 60kg

Shoulder Press
                                                        3*10 @ 30kg

Assisted Pull Ups
                                                        3*10 @ 45kgs

Dumbbell Thrusters
                                                        3*10 @ 6kgs

and finished up with 20mins on the cross trainer, 40secs off at 130rpm+ 20 secs on at 200rpm+
                                                        Last edited by Iago; 01-09-10, 14:38.

Comment

5k on the Treadmill in 5mins 20secs is pretty sick imo.

Comment

Originally posted by keane2097 View Post
                                                            5k on the Treadmill in 5mins 20secs is pretty sick imo.
                                                            As I said, my quads were on fire

Comment

Tuesday

Was a shit day.

My quads felt on fire after Monday. I wouldn't mind but I purposely arrived early on Monday to get a good 15 minutes of stretching in before I started, and took 20 minutes afterwards to stretch everything out before I went down to the steam room.

Anyway just did a light cardio session and a lot of stretching yesterday.

5k on the Treadmill in 25mins 20secs

Wednesday

10mins warmup on the treadmill at 9km/h

barbell bench press
                                                              3* 10 @ 45kg

Squat
                                                              2*10 @ 40kg
                                                              1*10 @ 50kg

Deadlift
                                                              3*10 @ 60kg

Shoulder Press
                                                              3*10 @ 30kg

Assisted Pull Ups
                                                              3*10 @ 45kgs

Dumbbell Thrusters
                                                              3*10 @ 6kgs

and finished up with 20mins on the cross trainer, 40secs off at 130rpm+ 20 secs on at 200rpm+
                                                              Just on the stretching note.

I personally find NOT stretching after lifting a hell of a lot more beneficial than doing it.

Its different for Hiit work or Low intensity cardio but defo not after lifting.

Comment

Just on the stretching note.

I personally find NOT stretching after lifting a hell of a lot more beneficial than doing it.

Its different for Hiit work or Low intensity cardio but defo not after lifting.
                                                                Cheers, I'll give it a go and see.

Quads pretty sore again tonight, or more specifically my right quad is sore. I could well be overcompensating on my stronger right hand side because it was the same the other day afterwards, left was fine but right quad was tight and sore.

Comment

On one point, if you're training for a 10k, the best way to do it is by doing something similar to HIIT. A good way to start off is at multiple reps of a significantly shorter distance at a hard pace. You can't do this well in a gym so find a park and run on the grass. Not sure of the distances or reps that would suit it best, but when I was training for 5ks we used to do 6*800s twice a week, 3*2k once a week, 8*400 once a week and a 4-6k once, but that wasn't done at anything near race pace. Thats probably not it exactly cos as a group we were all training for different distances and its a few years ago now so can't remember exactly. Very very very small amount of weights as well. That was kept to an absolute minimum though cos you don't hugely want much upper body strength.

Really unsure of distances cos its a few years ago but the best way for training for some distance is to do reps of shorter distances as your hard sessions. Training for a 10k by running 10ks isn't very effective.

Just that this didn't seem to be mentioned and people were talking about training for 10ks so I said I'd put it up. No real expert on this sort of stuff in any way though.
                                                                  Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Cheers, I'll give it a go and see.

Quads pretty sore again tonight, or more specifically my right quad is sore. I could well be overcompensating on my stronger right hand side because it was the same the other day afterwards, left was fine but right quad was tight and sore.
                                                                    Everyone does this. Its natural, I can feel myself doing it on pretty much all lifts. My right side is not as fatigued as quick as my left.

I reckon its just DOMS (delayed onset muscle fatigue syndrome) though. If its localised it could be mroe serious but if its an overall thing, more than likely DOMS.

Comment

As TG mentioned try some hiit on your runs. Try running full pace for 1k with 2/3 minute rest in between, rinse and repeat as many times as you can (ideally 5 times). This will build up your speed and will go some way to reduce your overall 10k time.

If you don't feel like puking after it you have not gone hard enough

Comment

Ah so that's where I left this.

I'm not going to lie, the prop bet ended and any waning enthusiasm I may have had for continuing on died with it. I started a new job and got caught up in life and rapidly rose back from 92kg to 102kg (around about the end of April or so) Good going by anyone's standards I think.

Interestingly it's around about the same time I started to try and change this last year...

May 3rd 2010
                                                                        Starting Weight: 101.3Kg

August 16th 2010
                                                                        Weight: 92Kg

May 3rd 2011
                                                                        Weight: 102kg

so that's pretty much a year of my life wasted away when you think about it.

Ultimately the key to all of this is motivation and finding something that compels you to do something about it. I don't know if I really have that yet tbh, but I'll try and log the trials and tribulations here in the meantime just in case

So I'm about 11 weeks into this latest exercise and as of this morning I'm just north of 93kg (206lbs) my week of exercise looks like this

Tues ~ Gym & 11-a-side Football
                                                                        Wed ~ 5-a-side Football
                                                                        Thurs ~ Gym
                                                                        Fri ~ Gym

Starting tomorrow I'll update this with diet and training updates and it should at least allow me to track progress better than I have to date.

Comment

Good that you're back on the horse man. It isnt easy, but it is so worth it.

Good luck.

Comment

Clean up the diet with that level of activity and you'll be flying in no time.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                              Clean up the diet with that level of activity and you'll be flying in no time.
                                                                              You would think that alright, but you haven't seen my metabolism in (in)action

I know if I went completely clean I'd lose weight, and the proof is in the last couple of months. My biggest problem is that I've to be completely clean or I end up completely ballooning regardless of exercise, and the motivation to do that, or the willingness to sacrifice the food and drink I love in order to do so can be lacking at times.

Prime example this weekend:

Friday morning 14st 7lbs
                                                                              Friday evening 14st 7lbs (before dinner)

Birthday dinner for my son

4 Duck pancakes
                                                                              Beef Fillet in green pepper sauce
                                                                              Slice of Black Forest

Always going to be bad obviously (however my wife had the same and only gained 1lb)

Saturday morning 14st 12lbs

Anyway, your point is well made. In any week where I stay completely clean and keep carbs under around 70g a day I lose around 1.5/2lbs. Anything outside of that and I break even on weight for the week.

I know what I have to do though.

Comment

#40

Friday morning 14st 7lbs

4 Duck pancakes
                                                                                Slice of Black Forest

Always going to be bad obviously (however my wife had the same and only gained 1lb)

Don't put yourself through the torture of weighing yourself every day. The scales will lie to you. Once a week is way better. Preferably under the same conditions that you weighed yourself previously. Early morning is best iirc. Concentrate more on the tape measure anyhow.

Best of luck with it.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Don't weigh yourself nearly every day at all imo. Every 2 weeks with photos is far better I think. Feel the difference, not count the difference. You'll be far more pushed if you feel tighter and lighter and no squeeze on the belt than if the scales says you've dropped 3/4 lbs, not to mention that the weighing scales is a cruel mistress to court, with her constant lying and everyone's constant weight fluctuations anyway.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Yeah weighing yourself daily is nuts.

Every 2 weeks or every month at the same time under the same conditions is fine.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Efforts for today

Trap Bar Deadlift
                                                                                      1*10 (60kg)
                                                                                      1*10 (90kg)
                                                                                      4*10 (100kg)

interspersed with crossovers (press up position bring your left knee to your right hand, and vice versa) by 10's per leg

~~

Push Press
                                                                                      4*10 (25kg)

Assisted Chins
                                                                                      4*7 bodyweight

~~~

Single arm dumbbell thrusters

4*20 (10 per arm @ 10kg)

Reverse lunges

4*16 (8 per leg @ 20kg)

~~~~

Rope slams

4*15 secs

~~~~

60 minutes of Astro 11-a-side

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Prime example this weekend:

Friday morning 14st 7lbs

4 Duck pancakes
                                                                                        Slice of Black Forest

As the lads mentioned, dailyign weighing is totally misleading.
                                                                                        There is no way you put on 5lbs of fat from that meal, physically imposible. 5lbs requires a huge amount of cals. Plus its not nearly as instant as that.
                                                                                        The difference between you and your wife is down to a number of factors, none of which are your metabolism.
                                                                                        Most likely it was hydration, 2 extra pints of water is 2 lb, having to go to the bathroom or not will cause another lb or 2.

Weigh yourself once a week max, and even at that there's a huge margin.
                                                                                        A steady weight loss is 1lb a week, 2 is about the max. Your weight fluctuates over a day by at least 2 lbs, maybe more if you are active. I've had a weigh difference of 2 lbs within an hour, none of this was body fat

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                          As the lads mentioned, dailyign weighing is totally misleading.
                                                                                          There is no way you put on 5lbs of fat from that meal, physically imposible. 5lbs requires a huge amount of cals. Plus its not nearly as instant as that.
                                                                                          The difference between you and your wife is down to a number of factors, none of which are your metabolism.
                                                                                          Most likely it was hydration, 2 extra pints of water is 2 lb, having to go to the bathroom or not will cause another lb or 2.

Weigh yourself once a week max, and even at that there's a huge margin.
                                                                                          A steady weight loss is 1lb a week, 2 is about the max. Your weight fluctuates over a day by at least 2 lbs, maybe more if you are active. I've had a weigh difference of 2 lbs within an hour, none of this was body fat
                                                                                          Ahh I know this really. I was being a little funny with that post

I do think my metabolism plays a part but there's no way one meal can have that effect. I normally weigh myself once a week, but in truth I know that the scale is misleading, it's more for me to keep track and ensure there are no massive fluctuations. If it's steadily going down then at least it shows that something is working.

Going by the scales I've been steadily losing about 2lbs a week, although the last couple of weeks on the scale have slowed. I've lost around 3 inches off my waist so I know it's working, just getting harder to make progress (not helped by my "relaxed" attitude to health eating)

Comment

#46
                                                                                            80/20
                                                                                            80/20
                                                                                            80/20
                                                                                            80/20
                                                                                            80/20

Diet/Exercise

Train yourself to eat well, this means getting better and more creative with cookig, disciplining yourself with snacking, and learning about what you are eating and why you are eating it.

Exercise is a part of an overall "training regime", but compared to what you put into your body, what you do with your body isn't near as big a factor in changing how you look.

There are no worthwhile shortcuts, it's not easy, but cold turkeying on the bad shut (as much as is possible) an even then weaning what's left out of your diet, will see far far bigger improvements than upping your exercise. Obviously there are plenty of people who manage to out train their bad eating habits, but they're making their time so much harder than it needs to be!

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                              80/20
                                                                                              80/20
                                                                                              80/20
                                                                                              80/20
                                                                                              80/20

Diet/Exercise

Train yourself to eat well, this means getting better and more creative with cookig, disciplining yourself with snacking, and learning about what you are eating and why you are eating it.

Exercise is a part of an overall "training regime", but compared to what you put into your body, what you do with your body isn't near as big a factor in changing how you look.

There are no worthwhile shortcuts, it's not easy, but cold turkeying on the bad shut (as much as is possible) an even then weaning what's left out of your diet, will see far far bigger improvements than upping your exercise. Obviously there are plenty of people who manage to out train their bad eating habits, but they're making their time so much harder than it needs to be!
                                                                                              This. This. This. So much.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                80/20
                                                                                                80/20
                                                                                                80/20
                                                                                                80/20
                                                                                                80/20

Diet/Exercise

Absolutely and for the most part I'm pretty good and clean, for the most part. In all ways I'm miles ahead of where I was before I started back training again

Potatoes, Pasta, Rice <<<<<<<<<<< mixed veg & salad
                                                                                                White Bread<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< no bread
                                                                                                coke<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< coke zero (at much reduced rates of consumption)
                                                                                                multiple takeaways a week<<<<<<<< maybe one takeaway a week
                                                                                                Baguettes for lunch<<<<<<<<<<<<< tuna/chicken/beef salad for lunch
                                                                                                no breakfast<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< omelettes most mornings
                                                                                                Lattes<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< americanos

and so on and so forth. I'm not perfect and I have cheat/fall off the wagon days, but it's a million miles removed from where I was.

I'm not going to break down exactly what I'm eating, but the macros for yesterday look like

Total Calories: 1,085
                                                                                                Carbs: 110g
                                                                                                Protein: 75g
                                                                                                Fat: 41g
                                                                                                Sugar: 70g (mostly driven by a bottle of Lucozade between the gym and the football pitch)

I probably should have taken a protein shake before bed, and getting enough protein is still something I need to become much better at, but overall I'm happy with the changes I've made.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Surely you're way under-eating if you're doing anything in the way of actual exercise on that level of food?

I'm not lecturing re: clean either, I've gone to absolute shit the last few weeks, every time i try get back on the horse something comes up and I end up on a calorie/alcohol/carb binge.

Kinda guilting myself into sorting it out by replying to all these kind of treads. Training is going ok, but diet has been terrible and it's shown badly.

FYI, a meal plan that is satiating and works (so long as you measure everything) is something like

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with 30g cheese and 40g ham - tea with no sugar
                                                                                                  Lunch - double portion of meat ( 200g of whatever) grilled/baked/stir fried with stir fry vegetables. Beansprouts, peppers, mange tout, baby sweetcorn, red onions. Throw chillis, lemons, limes, paprika, cayenne onto the veg on different days to stop from getting bored.
                                                                                                  Dinner - again a big portion of meat - 200g of beef/turkey/chicken/pork grilled or baked with 100g of cauliflower and 100g broccoli. Mash the two together with a spoon of butter or 30g of cheese to make it delicious and satiating if needs be.

Snacks during the day
                                                                                                  - ham/cheese roll ups, just grate small amount of cheese onto a slice of ham, roll and eat.
                                                                                                  - salted nuts (careful with portion sizes, so incredibly easy to overeat on these)
                                                                                                  - handful of berries (don't know much about this tbh, no idea where to get them, but recommended everywhere)

You should easily be getting 100g protein from that a day anyway, and very very very few net carbs

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Surely you're way under-eating if you're doing anything in the way of actual exercise on that level of food?
                                                                                                    Yeah, yesterday probably wasn't the best example. I could/should have had around 2,800 yesterday when I take exercise into account but it's swings and roundabouts.

I'm averaging around 1,900 a day this month for example. I aim for around 1,300 or so on non-training days and anything between 2,200-2,800 on training days depending on intensity and what I'm getting through.

I'm conscious of trying to avoid under eating as I think that will just slow my metabolism down completely not to mention make it harder for me to train as I'm lacking energy.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      I'll post my diet for the last 2 days, should help some;

Breakfast - Oatmeal(flanhavans jumbo oats), blueberries.
                                                                                                      Snack - Rice cake, cup of coffee
                                                                                                      Lunch - Omelet, 4 eggs, ham, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato, cottage cheese, tuna, side of spinach leaves
                                                                                                      Snack - 30g cashew nuts
                                                                                                      Dinner - Side of spinach leaves, brocolli, 2 pork chops
                                                                                                      Snack - tablespoon of peanut butter

Breakfast - Oatmeal, blueberries
                                                                                                      Snack - Coffee, rice cake
                                                                                                      Lunch - 2 steak burgers, salad(spinach leaves, tomato, shallot)
                                                                                                      Snack - Blueberries, greek yogurt
                                                                                                      Dinner - Zaytoon(Barg, which is beef marinated in safron and onion, side salad and garlic sauce*)
                                                                                                      Snack - Rice cake, tbl spoon of peanut butter.

* Garlic sauce is high in fat but no sugar or carbs, so perfectly fine for me on a bulking diet. Obv not recommended for someone trying to lose weight.

I take 3 tablets of fish oil per day. I'm pretty high on calories but my diet is very clean and its beginning to pay off along with working like a demon in the gym.

Blueberries are the absolute nuts. I can't say this enough. Get Boylans frozen bluberries in Dunnes for 2 euro a box. They're fabulous.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Just 60 minutes of 5-a-side tonight.

Legs were pretty jaded after last night anyway so probably just as well the second match didn't go ahead.

Total Calories: 2,100
                                                                                                        Carbs: 209g
                                                                                                        Protein: 51g
                                                                                                        Fat: 80g
                                                                                                        Sugar: 92g

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Kill the sugar addiction and you will make progress about 5 times faster.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Just 60 minutes of 5-a-side tonight.

Legs were pretty jaded after last night anyway so probably just as well the second match didn't go ahead.

I think your goal is weight loss but at 110 kilos your not taking in enough protein there
                                                                                                            for maintenance never mind building some muscle.
                                                                                                            You have to feed your muscles and protein does that

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Kill the sugar addiction and you will make progress about 5 times faster.
                                                                                                              I have started to kill it, one step at a time

You're right though, it's holding me back. Today I allowed myself to get sideswiped for lunch and with limited options chose fruit above sandwiches/nothing. There was over 50g of sugar in that fruit

I need to get better at it overall though, because it's not all fruit, or even close

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                                                                                I think your goal is weight loss but at 110 kilos your not taking in enough protein there
                                                                                                                for maintenance never mind building some muscle.
                                                                                                                You have to feed your muscles and protein does that
                                                                                                                Aye, I need to start supplementing my protein intake with shakes. I have ON in the house, but I need to get better at taking it.

I'm only 93kg though, not that it changes the point but it is lower than above

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Aye, I need to start supplementing my protein intake with shakes. I have ON in the house, but I need to get better at taking it.

I'm only 93kg though, not that it changes the point but it is lower than above
                                                                                                                  sorry sure you were more keep up the good work

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Rest day today

Total Calories: 1,223
                                                                                                                    Carbs: 50g
                                                                                                                    Protein: 147g
                                                                                                                    Fat: 51g
                                                                                                                    Sugar: 22g

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      You might be interested in this dude:

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Over the last couple of weeks I've been feeling pretty fatigued. I wouldn't quite say that I hit a wall, but mentally, emotionally and physically I've felt that I was becoming over stretched and less effective than I could be. I think the combination of a hectic job with long hours (averaging 55 a week for the last 6 months) as well as a lot of travel which normally knocks me out of sync anyway and going back training for the last few months has taken it's toll on me. I haven't taken a holiday since I started this new job in September of last year and all told I have been teetering on the point of burn out for the last month or so.

Having realised this I decided to give myself a couple of breaks, first I have planned some downtime and I'm taking 7 days off work starting from the middle of next week. Secondly I decided that for the week just past I wouldn't train at the same level I have been. So from last Wednesday, with the exception of a 7k (treadmill) loosener on Sunday I haven't trained at all. Instead I took a lot of long walks and just got out into the air and took it very easy.

This week I have an astro match tonight & two 5-a-side games tomorrow. I'm in Prague from Thurs-Sun and I fully intend to use the gym in the hotel I'm staying in while I'm there but I'm going to keep the intensity down until I get back and go hell for leather again from next week. So far this seems to be working, I feel better physically and I haven't noticed any slow down in weight loss, I'm not pulling up trees but I am consistently dropping down on the scale. Long may it continue.

Starting Weight 102kg (224lbs)
                                                                                                                        Current Weight 92kg (203lbs)
                                                                                                                        Goal Weight When I feel I've lost enough

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X