Pacific Coast - San Fran to La then Vegas - Help required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacific Coast - San Fran to La then Vegas - Help required

Im considering doing the above next summer. I was planning on a cruise and a few days in Florida but it appears that my Gf is in the strewelpeter camp when it comes to holidaying.

Ive done this before with a group of lads sort of J1 so i would not be pure clueless. Although the last time we took the train from San Fran to Santa Barbara.

Rough itinerary is

San Francisco - 3 days

Drive down the coast spend one night in Monterrey/Carmel

2 nights in Santa Barbara

3 nights LA

5 nights Vegas

I would probably have about 2 days to play around with. Im sure others can recommend something a little different to consider.
    Pm for rakeback deals

San Fran -
    Alcatraz Trip (book in advance)
    Cycle across Golden Gate into Saulsalito and have lunch, ferry back.
    Fishermans Wharf
    Chinatown
    Tram to Castro
    WW2 Submarine & Ship tours in harbour

Drive Down
    Carmel
    17 mile drive
    Pebble Beach (if into golf)
    Hearst Castle (1/2 day)

Personally stayed in Santa Monica rather than LA

Comment

San Diego/Ocean Beach is worth visiting for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        San Fran -
        Fishermans Wharf
        Chinatown
        Tram to Castro

Drive Down
        Carmel
        17 mile drive
        Hearst Castle (1/2 day)

Pebble beach is interesting but as someone who is casually into golf and would be on my own playing it id say id give it a skip for the money it would cost.

Hearst castle i have read a bit about but as someone who lives in a castle town will it really blow me away?

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        Nah San Diego wont be on the cards if i go ahead with this trip been there before and it didnt blow me away.
        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Last year I did

San Diego
          LA
          Vegas
          Yosemite
          Palo Alto
          San Francisco

We were going to go to Death Valley for a night, but the road from it to Yosemite was closed so it would have meant a major detour

I really liked Yosemite and would def recommend it. It'll be pretty hot for hiking during the summer though

Didn't really like LA and I'd be in no rush back, San Fran and San Diego were both much nicer. Santa Monica was the best part of LA and would def stay there rather than anywhere else

Comment

Found Hearst Castle very interesting.

Just watch out for Patty in case she goes nuts again!
            Last edited by Dice75; 14-08-12, 17:19.

Comment

Santa Cruz little beach town on the way south well worth a day visit.
              Include the haight/golden gate park in san Fran trip. North beach for great food.
              Boudin my old work place for soup in a sourdough breadbowl.
              airport, lol

Comment

Stick to the Pacific Highway (route 101) rather than the main freeway as the scenery is spectacular. I personally have no love for LA so would spend those days elsewhere, but California is fantastic in general imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                  San Fran -
                  Fishermans Wharf
                  Chinatown
                  Tram to Castro

Drive Down
                  Carmel
                  17 mile drive
                  Hearst Castle (1/2 day)

I'd agree with all of this except the golf stuff - not my thing. I assume u are driving highway 1 down the coast. I stayed here once which is a really nice place to stop off http://www.raggedpointinn.net/

Don't stay downtown LA. Stay in Santa Monica near 3rd St Promenade or Venice. South of LA - Newport Beach is pretty nice and worth a visit as is San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    Stick to the Pacific Highway (route 101) rather than the main freeway as the scenery is spectacular. I personally have no love for LA so would spend those days elsewhere, but California is fantastic in general imo.
                    Yeah don't drive the 5. I did it on my own earlier this year and was bored to tears.

Comment

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
                      Last year I did

San Diego
                      LA
                      Vegas
                      Yosemite
                      Palo Alto
                      San Francisco

We were going to go to Death Valley for a night, but the road from it to Yosemite was closed so it would have meant a major detour

I really liked Yosemite and would def recommend it. It'll be pretty hot for hiking during the summer though
                      e
                      I like the yosemite and Death valley idea i guess i could start in La drive up and across.

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      Ya, there seems to be highway 101 and highway 1 which is right along the coast.

I still have the small issue of attaining my full license. Ive had a provisional 10 years so im going to use this as a motivator.

I havent booked the flights or anything so do people think i could scrape €500 return if im flexible with dates ? I know il need to wait until at least January to start looking.
                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                        I like the yosemite and Death valley idea i guess i could start in La drive up and across.

Ya, there seems to be highway 101 and highway 1 which is right along the coast.

I still have the small issue of attaining my full license. Ive had a provisional 10 years so im going to use this as a motivator.

I havent booked the flights or anything so do people think i could scrape €500 return if im flexible with dates ? I know il need to wait until at least January to start looking.
                        If you are going next summer you can look for flights now. AFAIK you can book 364 days ahead..

Comment

Generally rental car companies require a full licence for at least 1 year specified in the terms. I'm not sure if they enforce it

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                            If you are going next summer you can look for flights now. AFAIK you can book 364 days ahead..
                            I dont think there is a huge amount of availability i only looked on skyscanner briefly. i dont see a huge advantage to booking now anyway really.

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
                            Generally rental car companies require a full licence for at least 1 year specified in the terms. I'm not sure if they enforce it
                            Interesting, its something i have not heard before.
                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Im getting return flights out of San Fran for €397. Will i ever see it that cheap again if i dont book?
                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Im getting return flights out of San Fran for €397. Will i ever see it that cheap again if i dont book?
                                That's very cheap, book ASAP to be honest. I lived in Northern California for 4 1/2 years in the early 2000s and flew Ireland-Cali return many many many times, never paid that low amount!

Comment

In terms of death valley we drove up from death valley and stayed in a ski resort type town called mammoth mountain. It is all cycling apparently during the summer but didnt do that.
                                  Something quite cool about going from a place well below sea level to the top of a mountain in a few hours tho.

If it comes down o a time thing leave both out and hit the grand canyon. much cooler than Death valley.Yosemite is also a great call I liked it a lot and it is also better than Death valley.

You are tight for time and will see lots of hot, barren landscape in Vegas anyway. LA also will not be near the top of your memories list. Well wasn't mine anyway just a big unfriendly city with loads of cars and a very scummy looking holywood area and an over priced Rodeo drive.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                    That's very cheap, book ASAP to be honest. I lived in Northern California for 4 1/2 years in the early 2000s and flew Ireland-Cali return many many many times, never paid that low amount!
                                    Ya, Air France have some sort of sale on now so il indulge. I want to talk to the business office in college as im supposed to be on work experience next summer so im not sure what the story with 2 weeks holidays are.

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                    In terms of death valley we drove up from death valley and stayed in a ski resort type town called mammoth mountain. It is all cycling apparently during the summer but didnt do that.
                                    Something quite cool about going from a place well below sea level to the top of a mountain in a few hours tho.

If it comes down o a time thing leave both out and hit the grand canyon. much cooler than Death valley.Yosemite is also a great call I liked it a lot and it is also better than Death valley.

You are tight for time and will see lots of hot, barren landscape in Vegas anyway. LA also will not be near the top of your memories list. Well wasn't mine anyway just a big unfriendly city with loads of cars and a very scummy looking holywood area and an over priced Rodeo drive.
                                    If i book the above flights il have to amke my way back to San Fran so it will cut my time further. Il see if i book the flights and then i can start planning a little better.
                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Took the plunge at last €428.

Downside is im flying in and out of San fran. Provisional thoughts

25th - arrive midday spend 4 days there.

29th - drive half way stop somewhere on the way to LA

30th - 3rd LA

3rd head to vegas til the 6th.

6th head back to San fran via death valley/yosemite i have until the 10th when im flying home.

This obviously allows me 2 nights free to some extent.
                                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I don't see any days in there for prostitutues and coke
                                        What kinda road trip is this

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                          damn hippies! ^^

6 flags is brilliant craic also.
                                          GAA News Website

Comment

Took the plunge at last €428.

Downside is im flying in and out of San fran. Provisional thoughts

25th - arrive midday spend 4 days there.

29th - drive half way stop somewhere on the way to LA

30th - 3rd LA

3rd head to vegas til the 6th.

6th head back to San fran via death valley/yosemite i have until the 10th when im flying home.

This obviously allows me 2 nights free to some extent.
                                            What month? I'm guessing you are doing the same course as me and have the same work placement. Most will want you to work the 9 months(Jan to August). Don't tell them about this until you get the placement or sometime in April
                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                              damn hippies! ^^

6 flags is brilliant craic also.
                                              No money would get me on a rollercoaster so best avoided. Well on second thoughts im sure there is some sum of money that would get me on one! Universal will do on the theme park trail.

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                              What month? I'm guessing you are doing the same course as me and have the same work placement. Most will want you to work the 9 months(Jan to August). Don't tell them about this until you get the placement or sometime in April
                                              Ya, i couldnt get hold of the placement office to run it through them. Id have no intention of mentioning it to them until April. I guess il play dumb and say i thought it was 24 weeks which would be just up and then hopefully slot in again afterwards.

Was your's payed?
                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Working...
                                              X