Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Confirmed:
    RD3
    HJ
    GAB
    Strewel
    Denny
    ionapaul

LL out and seat offered to New Approach.

Awaiting word from The Auld Switcheroo who is suspiciously quiet. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow afternooon, I'll offer his seat to the next reserve. i.e. Keane
    Think Switchy is working at Larrys game since Thursday. Normally does lot of hours

Comment

New Approach in.

I'll see if TAS reverts in the next 24 hours and will then offer his seat to Keane.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

No word from TAS so Keane has the option.

Comment

The Hateful Eight now looks like:

Lao Lao in reserve!

Comment

I'm in. Nothing like 16 hour shifts. Had a couple f breaks where I tipped around in here but didn't notice the thread
            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
              I'm in. Nothing like 16 hour shifts. Had a couple f breaks where I tipped around in here but didn't notice the thread
              FFS. Sent you a PM well over 2 days ago and no response to that or in thread plus Dice said you were working a game.

I've given your seat to Keane so you are now on the reserve list.

Comment

Oh no by all means if Eoin is in he is in.

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Oh no by all means if Eoin is in he is in.
                    Grand so. Consider yourself reinstated Switch.

Comment

Funny enough I just discovered this morning that I would have been double booked for Thursday night anyway as we have a work night celebrating a chip we finished before Xmas.

I'll make it one of these years, have a good night folks!

Comment

Any recommendations for dinner (6/7pm) close to Connolly Station? Nothing too fancy.

Cheers

Comment

Bon Crubeen is close and OK without being great. Decent value.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            Huh, I was just about to say the same. Friday is not great then. Usually would find somewhere off Capel st, but it has been a while.
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

101 talbot

Comment

Thanks all. 101 looks nice so I booked that.

Comment

Too late but for future reference, Thai Spice just off the Connolly end of Talbot St is superb if you're into Thai food.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                    Too late but for future reference, Thai Spice just off the Connolly end of Talbot St is superb if you're into Thai food.
                                    +1 to this for future reference.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Not worth a full review as it's been done several times before but was in Chapter One at the weekend.

We had opted for the Pre Theatre menu as we were meeting friends afterwards. Food was fantastic, no complaints there but the whole dinner was ridiculously rushed. Now I know that you are on a time limit with pre theatre but this was way over board. Thought the service overall was a bit iffy, was quite surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                          Not worth a full review as it's been done several times before but was in Chapter One at the weekend.

We had opted for the Pre Theatre menu as we were meeting friends afterwards. Food was fantastic, no complaints there but the whole dinner was ridiculously rushed. Now I know that you are on a time limit with pre theatre but this was way over board. Thought the service overall was a bit iffy, was quite surprised.
                                          If you are actually doing it pre-theatre, you have starter and main - then come back in after the show for dessert and drinks.

#ProTip.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                            Must have passed by there a thousand times and always assumed it was crap due to location. Must remember that for next time.
                                            Couldn't blame you for making that assumption, especially given the name also! It's top notch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                              Noticed this place advertising in The Phoenix Mag

Fire & Salt - http://www.thejohnstownestate.com/Fi...estaurant.html

Location is very bloody isolated but accessible all the same. Opens in the next week or so. Il put it on the list as i tend to use that hotel a bit for meetings.
                                              "Himalayan Rock Salt"

* IMO and all but
                                              1) Salt is salt, rock salt has a texture but salt is salt!
                                              2) For all their speel about Irish products, they should be using Irish Sea Salt (or the likes) as part of their patter, Himalayan Rock stands out whereas Irish salt would fit their USP
                                              Last edited by Guest; 29-01-17, 21:34. Reason: *Full disclosure :)

Comment

Stayed in MacNean House last night.

Thought it was nice experience. Super meal, nice drinks after and lovely breakfast this morning.

Comment

website: http://www.onepico.com/home.php

Price Range: (from 1 to 5 €€€€€) €€€€

Last week was myself and Mrs Lao Lao's 3rd anniversary. For the last two years, I've managed to surprise her with dinner through some mischievous plotting. This year, the antics were increased and involved getting my best mate set up a fake poker night in his house and her best mate from work organise a work night out for all the girls in work as they didn't manage to get out before Christmas. These two events just happened to be taking place on the same night, last Saturday I even went to the effort of going out to the off license and buying beer to bring to the poker night.

She headed of to a Pilates class and I headed off to the poker night, when in reality I went and watched the second half of the Spurs/Man City game before heading around to the Library Bar in the Central Hotel and waited for her to arrive to "meet the girls"

For the third year in a row, she fell for it - Hook, line and sinker. I'm probably not painting her in a great light. I mean, how do you fall for the same thing, three years in a row at the same time of the year each year, albeit, the ruse has been different each time. She's actually very intelligent and it is 100% down to my ability to be totally devious.

Her initial reaction was a predictable and common one - She repeatedly called me a dickhead, over and over again. Thankfully, I had a G&T waiting for her on her arrival which meant, she couldn't call me a dickhead while she was sipping it but she did call me a dickhead several times in between each sip! We had the pleasure of having Mary Lou McDonald sit across from us in a lovely green guna and while I was tempted to grill her on a few political issues, I thought winding up one woman a night was enough to handle

When we finished our drinks, we headed towards the restaurant with me being the only person out of the two of us who knew where we were going. I led her on a merry dance (as I have in previous years) around a few different restaurants but once we turned onto Molesworth St, the game was up, she knew we were headed to One Pico.

When we arrived, we opted to have a glass of Pressco each while waiting for our table which was ready within a few minutes. The setting of the restaurant is very nice, tables are nicely spaced out and it's a very calm/relaxed atmosphere, it's a very pleasant space

After having some home made bread, we ordered wine (Pouilly Fume de Ladoucette 2006 @ €86) I've said it before and I'll say it again but this is the best white wine there is.

For starters, I had St Tola Goats Cheese, Burnt & Pickled Apple, Walnuts, Apple Meringue while herself had the Chicken Liver & Foie Gras Parfait, Rhubarb, Vanilla, Warm Brioche. The goats cheese was nice and light and I really like the contrast between the texture of the cheese and the meringue and the walnuts really added to it. I had a small bit of the parfait and it tasted good.

For mains, I opted for Thornhill Duck, Foie Gras, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Truffle while she had Hake, Young Leeks, Pumpkin Risotto, Mussels. We also ordered a side portion of baby potatoes with 36 month aged parmesan & tender stem broccoli with warm bacon mayonnaise. The duck was rarer than I would ever cook it but it was excellent. I had a sliver of the hake and the risotto and it was really, really good. I almost had some food envy.

For desert, herself decided to go with the Caramelised Passion Fruit Tart, Mango Sorbet, Coconut Meringue while I had Valrhona Chocolate Namelaka, Salted Caramel, Hazelnuts. The fruit tart was very refreshing and I enjoyed the bit I got to taste but I was very happy with my choice and scoffed it down in no time.

The staff were very friendly throughout and help maintained the relaxed vibe of the restaurant.

Total bill inc tip was €269. Was a very good night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

From there, we headed over to VCC in Temple Bar where we had a table booked but as we were over an hour late, they had given it away so we had a drink at the bar and managed to get a table after about 20 minutes and sat contently sipping cocktails into the early hours of the morning. In the back of my head, I was thinking, there is no way I can trick her 4 years in a row, is there???...

Comment

Some recommendations please.

My friend's wife is 40 in July, he wants to organise dinner for 20 people as a surprise party.

Budget is in and around €75 pp max, but ideally he'd like to be spending c€50.

He's enquired with Shanahans so far but looking for other options.
                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

> If he wants steak then FXB Pembroke might be ideal and will fall into that price point depending on wine choices. Id suspect they can give you one section of the upstairs to fit your needs.
                                                      Started off a stag here with bout 20 people and were upstairs, split it into a table of 12 and 8 I think and was just over 50 a head. Was very good

Comment

Brookwood on Merrion Row have a private room upstairs which holds about 20 i think. Have a gander at their website. Nice grub there anyway.

Comment

Getting some good recommendations there Lazare but one more for the mix is Keshk on the canal at Mespil road. Set menus are around 25-30 and it's byob. Get a big table downstairs for 20+ no problem. Great food and fun.

FXB Pembroke will give you an area upstairs but service can be hit and miss unless you go early in the evening.
                                                          Last edited by V for Vendetta; 02-02-17, 19:25.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Marcels on Merrion Row has a tucked away area that would sit 20 nicely. Price point may be a little on the high side but I'm basing that on Christmas prices which generally tend to be inflated. Defo worth checking out

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                              Getting some good recommendations there Lazare but one more for the mix is Keshk on the canal at Mespil road. Set menus are around 25-30 and it's byob. Get a big table downstairs for 20+ no problem. Great food and fun.

FXB Pembroke will give you an area upstairs but service can be hit and miss unless you go early in the evening.
                                                              Just the tonight by coincidence, yeah decent and BYOB would help with the budget. Think Brookwood only seats 12 upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                Needed somewhere fast last night before going to see my brother in a play, for the first time. This was excellent! Went there with my sister at 5:30 and they were nearly booked up. They wanted the table back for 7, told them they would have it back by 6. Place was starting to fill up, they even had to kick out the homeless person who seemed to be shouting at people as they came in.

We ordered 2x noodles, massaman and green curries. They were delicious, really great. They charged the same for tofu as for meat which is unusual. Usually we get the pleasure of paying less. They were served to us in 5 minutes and we were out the door at 5:55. Came to €32. Will definitely be back.

Comment

Maharaja of India
                                                                  19A Charing Cross Rd, That London

Went to Gordons wine bar Villiers St for a pre meal drink which featured on Conor Woodmans Sin Cities the pickpocketing London Episode. Nice spot if empty with the victorian cellars below in the basement but absolutely packed inside so sat outside area amongst barrels and seats railing a park. Went to Leicester Square to in search of food but despite the hunger getting the better of us shunned most of the touristy restaurants around the main section, they were either packed or sold a cheap eat 2-course with no choice type thing. Settled on an Indian place around the corner where the lads were after the quick order at a high paced level, just a bit pushy but nothing a couple of blokes cant handle.

We were seated and quickly asked how many popadoms we wanted when we ordered a drink first. The service was a bit pushy if you let it and I had already spied they are 1 pound each but in Ireland you get the initial amount complimentary so took this as a bit of an afront without letting him see my displeasure. So when he pre empted 2 i said none which took him aback like he couldnt quite believe this. We were then asked were we ready to order too soon by someone else as they seemed to take it in turns and from different angles to ask this and that but stood them down further for more time to choose. I changed my mind about the popadom when the drinks arrived and ordered 1 initially then then 2 more just to let them know i was controlling the popadom pace and not them. So we established an order that was understood and they settled down a bit more after that. You dont go to Indian restaurants for the service and i think there is a big cultural difference which i account for and usually by nites end everyone is usually getting along fine.

They put us in the middle of a row of empty 2 seaters when about 12 French/Arabic collegiate looking fellows of mixed gender came in for a booking before we overheard a hubub of misunderstanding as the staff didnt realise there was 12 of them booked in but the group spokesman was adamant the number was stated during the booking. This put us in the picture as we were in the middle of the only area that could seat 12 together. Typical Irish we see and hear everything and say nothing but we were ready.

One of the more robust senior staff tried splitting them but they werent having it. Soon enough after a bit of a confab amongst staff i get the tap on the shoulder by a young lower order batsman who stood with a grovelling gait(just the perfect type to appeal to a customers better nature) as he tried to explain in a long winded apologetic way hed like to move us up to the next level without quite putting the words together. The top of the order were looking on from behind their silver salvers at their young fledgling sent to bat. They sent him after losing the initiative during the poppadom episode. I stood and put my hand on his shoulder and repeated what I think he was trying to ask us that hed like for us to move to other seats but before letting him answer quickly adding ''Were here to help!'' as im not sure he had much left in him and with that there was merriment as the silver salvers moved in briskly to help with the plates and fresh linen and several more popadoms and chutney were produced as if like magic as we were whisked through the guard of honour of French fellows none of which made eye contact but were doubtless greatfull of the concession.

The brother got the butter chicken and i got the worst of it going for the Achari Murgh which was lovely but just way hotter than i had anticipated so didnt go down as easy of course but both were top notch. Lovely pink and yellows from the rice too and despite passing on a starter struggled to finish mine. Ive kind of gone away from starters recently because i hate the feeling of having eaten too much and rolling out of a restaurant stuffed whereas having just the mains your nicely full and ready to meet and greet the staff at the next place your ready to inflict yourself upon.

SPOILER

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                      101 talbot
                                                                      Thanks for the recommendation Tar, ate there last night, very enjoyable. Food was very good and the price was exceptional at €29 for 3 courses. Wine was a bit dear (maybe its just me?) at €38 for a standard Malbec but overall very good value. I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                        Ended up here the other night, tried 101 but it was closed. It was awful, literally every course, even the drinks afterwards were awful. And I used to have it in the "not great but decent value" range.

Comment

Pro tip for above is always specify your spice when ordering food at a place like that, and realise that what they call medium is your hot.

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                          Thanks for the recommendation Tar, ate there last night, very enjoyable. Food was very good and the price was exceptional at €29 for 3 courses. Wine was a bit dear (maybe its just me?) at €38 for a standard Malbec but overall very good value. I'll be back.
                                                                          No problem, used to eat there all the time and loved it. Eating out is essentially my #1 "hobby".

Was just back in Sligo for a funeral and things have certainly changed since I was there, Sweet Beat is a great cafe I tried. There were barely any vegetarian options on any menu until recently, and now there are vegan places etc. Was so many new restaurants as I wandered about in general. Warning, high levels of delicious leaves for my lunch there.

Comment

It was supposed to be a joyous trip to one of France’s famous gastro palaces – what could possibly go wrong?

My lips purse, like a cat’s arse that’s brushed against nettles.

wonderful stuff
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Residence St. Stephens Green

This is a bit of an odd review but I'm throwing it up as it might be a good alternative for an IPB night out. I'm well overdue to attend one as I've missed the last two...

Last night I hosted a dinner at Residence on behalf of my company. We booked the smallest room they have which seats 14 people comfortably around a large square table.

We were greeted warmly by the staff and left to mingle at the bar with attentive but unobtrusive drinks service. We then had a very decent 3 course meal.

I had a salmon and prawn starter, fillet of beef main and a creme brulee desert. It was a set menu with 3 choices for starter, mains and desert and everyone seemed to enjoy their grub. Not a very adventurous menu but tasty and well cooked. My medium rare fillet of steak was spot on. Here's the broader menu details here.

Service was excellent and we had two speakers during the course of the evening (someone had to sing for their supper) and they worked around this well. It was a little bit noisy outside the room at one point due to another large party arriving but not a big deal imo. Certainly not for an IPB night out!

We had lots of red and white wine served. At least 6 bottles. I didn't order the wine (or drink it obv) but it seemed to be enjoyed by those who knew their wine and they have a large wine menu.

The total cost for 14 people including service and earlier drinks was €1360 which I thought was excellent value at less than €100 per head.

Anyway if we can't get the Vintage kitchen or are looking for something a bit different it's a decent spot. 4/5 stars for me for a group gathering.
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                This is a bit of an odd review but I'm throwing it up as it might be a good alternative for an IPB night out. I'm well overdue to attend one as I've missed the last two...

Last night I hosted a dinner at Residence on behalf of my company. We booked the smallest room they have which seats 14 people comfortably around a large square table.

We were greeted warmly by the staff and left to mingle at the bar with attentive but unobtrusive drinks service. We then had a very decent 3 course meal.

I had a salmon and prawn starter, fillet of beef main and a creme brulee desert. It was a set menu with 3 choices for starter, mains and desert and everyone seemed to enjoy their grub. Not a very adventurous menu but tasty and well cooked. My medium rare fillet of steak was spot on. Here's the broader menu details here.

Service was excellent and we had two speakers during the course of the evening (someone had to sing for their supper) and they worked around this well. It was a little bit noisy outside the room at one point due to another large party arriving but not a big deal imo. Certainly not for an IPB night out!

We had lots of red and white wine served. At least 6 bottles. I didn't order the wine (or drink it obv) but it seemed to be enjoyed by those who knew their wine and they have a large wine menu.

The total cost for 14 people including service and earlier drinks was €1360 which I thought was excellent value at less than €100 per head.

Anyway if we can't get the Vintage kitchen or are looking for something a bit different it's a decent spot. 4/5 stars for me for a group gathering.
                                                                                I was a guest there about two years ago for a night hosted by one of my suppliers. Same type of set up and it was a fairly pleasant night. As you mentioned, food wasn't overly adventurous but it was well cooked and tasty

Comment

Fair play to V for arranging the next HHE dinner imo

Comment

I am pretty sure it has been mentioned here before but I made my maiden voyage to Pho Viet this evening. It was a thing of beauty. Il be back pretty soon.
                                                                                    The place next door, Hop House, is far better imo. Does a lot of fun Korean food and also some decent sushi. I always get a bibimbap.

Comment

Avalon (above Donnybrook Fair) has been taken over by Sheerin Wilde (formerly of the Wild Goose) about 12 months ago (maybe longer)

Food has come leaps and bounds from the former Donnybrook Fair restaurant.

I haven't been in for dinner yet but yesterday was the second time in a few months I was in for lunch.

Two courses for 22 Euro is exceptional value for the quality of the food.

The dinner menu does look to be pricer but will give it a try soon.

Comment

Visited Luna in Dublin (Drury St. beside The Hairy Lemon) for a birthday treat this evening and would recommend.

Unusual basement room apparently based on 60s American-Italiana, all booths and oak and velour and bow ties and Campari. Quite interesting with an open kitchen and fantastic bathrooms.

Bar is limited to the aforementioned Italian aperitif, wine and gin.

Menu is in Italian and the waiter goes through it all and translates. Worked well, maybe because we had a middle-aged Italian walk us through it. Maybe less so if you had one of the young Irish dudes do it, i dunno.

We had beef carpaccio, poached egg with mushrooms and parmesan, lobster linguine and halibut with artichoke - all done in a modern rather than classic way.

Two chocolate deserts, a bottle of wine, two gins, a coffee and a limoncello topped things off at e200.

The atmosphere was great, really buzzy with something of a sophisticated supper club feel, albeit a little bit tongue in cheek.

The staff were helpful, efficient and dapper in their luxurious Louis Copeland blazers.

It kinda reminded me a bit of a much cooler (but not hipster) Trocadero.

The pre-theatre menu is e30 per person and I would consider that a bargain particularly if you can get there for 6pm and take your time to enjoy the restaurant whirling into gear around you.
                                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 04-06-17, 00:45.

Comment

Any recommendations for somewhere in Limerick City? Also post dinner spot for drinks?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                            Any recommendations for somewhere in Limerick City? Also post dinner spot for drinks?
                                                                                            Anywhere on the road out of there

Although the cornstore restaurant was nice
                                                                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Need some recommendations please

I need

A)city centre based restaurant
                                                                                              B)decent grub
                                                                                              C)Appeal to people who aren't overly adventurous food wise
                                                                                              D)Good Value

Please & Thanks

Comment

Green 19?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                  Need some recommendations please

I need

A)city centre based restaurant
                                                                                                  B)decent grub
                                                                                                  C)Appeal to people who aren't overly adventurous food wise
                                                                                                  D)Good Value

Please & Thanks
                                                                                                  Any city in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by RossiesAbu View Post
                                                                                                    Any city in particular?
                                                                                                    Dublin would be best

Comment

pretty sure I've written a review previously but I was in Restaurant 41 in The Residence last night and it was exceptional. I had Goats Cheese and Beetroot to start and followed with Duck which was exceptional. It's a fantastic place to dine and it has a great setting overlooking Stephens Green.
                                                                                                      It's excellent, i've been for the A La Carte and the tasting menu's and both were great experiences.

Comment

Mrs DIII's birthday is coming up so I asked her to give me a steer in relation to preferred dining options.

"Something ethnic" was the somewhat gnomic response.

Recommendations plz.

Comment

Hang Dai worth a spin for ethnic and different, cant wait for next visit. Was at a wedding last week and got chatting to one of the guys who took over running of residence recently, nice chap.
                                                                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                            Hang Dai worth a spin for ethnic and different, cant wait for next visit.
                                                                                                            Have only been in their for their DJ nights, but heard it's good. Small busy and loud though.

Was at a wedding last week and got chatting to one of the guys who took over running of residence recently, nice chap
                                                                                                            I see the Stokes brother's latest adventure in the IFSC has closed, hope the taxman is ok. Wonder where they're off to next.

Comment

Speaking of Ethnic, is there anywhere that does Ethiopian food?

Comment

Addis Ababa.

I've had it in Africa a few times, really good stewy-type food with bread. Goat does not float my boat though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                  Addis Ababa.

I've had it in Africa a few times, really good stewy-type food with bread. Goat does not float my boat though.
                                                                                                                  A lot of the food would be just the kind of thing Tara would be looking for, but it is in Addis.

This bit not so much

There is a place in Islington called mesis kitchen thats famous for its authentic injera dishes, the only time I tried to go I couldn't get a table.

Find contact details, timetable, location, telephone, website , menu and more to get the low-down on Mesi's Kitchen and book a table for dinner. Plan your next meal out at this local restaurant and enjoy dining out in London.
                                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I had an injera "discovery menu" at an Ethiopian restaurant in Brussels with workmates and we loved it, so looking for more. They also had a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony which was nice, very different than other coffee.

I had reservations that there was anything in Ireland all right, but will be travelling to London soon so will keep an eye out for that, cheers SP.

Good luck on the ethnic hunt here RD

Comment

Hang Dai worth a spin for ethnic and different, cant wait for next visit. Was at a wedding last week and got chatting to one of the guys who took over running of residence recently, nice chap.
                                                                                                                      I have a fear that Hang Dai may be too hipster for the Duke. Food is great but I'm not sure about the set up for him.

Comment

I just looked up pictures, he will be all right as long as he doesn't look directly at the restaurant :P

Comment

I was trying to be more subtle about directing him away

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X