Clothes make the man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    S & G shirts are great after the alterations, they really seem to have a very different construction to the TM shirts.
    Are they worth the extra Denny versus TM in your opinion? You will definitely get longer out of them with the free cuff and collar replacement.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
      Someone in the BBV recommended Homeys for slippers I just took delivery of a pair today and I'm pretty impressed.
      They look nice, wish I could wear slippers, feet are far too hot to do so. Once I got northface ones designed for use on a mountain and stuff, for when you are lounging while climbing/hiking. I could have cooked food in there, oh lawd. Had to sell them.

Comment

Are they worth the extra Denny versus TM in your opinion? You will definitely get longer out of them with the free cuff and collar replacement.
        Probably not for me personally; they're a little more formal than I need, and I'm unlikely to ever get enough wear out of them to use the replacements. I've no more room for shirts now anyway!

Comment

Nice. Very nice Denny. I'd be interested to hear a review on the Allen Edmonds in 6 months time to see how they are going for you.
          It's a year now and they're still perfect. I have a very similar styled Loake to one of the the AE's, and the difference is very noticeable especially over time. The AE's are just a far higher quality shoe.

I'd love to treat myself to a bespoke John Lobb someday but that's an entirely different game

Comment

Going to revise my answer. The other day I was wearing a S&G shirt for the first time in a while and the quality just stands out. I got three of them on sale for about the price of an MTM, valooo. Funnily enough their off-the-rack shirts actually fit perfectly!

Where's a good place for some linen/flannel shirts? Need something that's summery casual.

Comment

Going to revise my answer. The other day I was wearing a S&G shirt for the first time in a while and the quality just stands out. I got three of them on sale for about the price of an MTM, valooo. Funnily enough their off-the-rack shirts actually fit perfectly!

Where's a good place for some linen/flannel shirts? Need something that's summery casual.
              I'm awaiting two new shirts from TM using their most expensive materials but I'm already sorry I didn't just go with S&G.

In my new job the guys only dress up when they have client meetings and even then nothing more than reasonably dressed accountant standard. The only negative about the job actually! One of the most senior guys in London did bust out a pretty special watch the day he was pitching to advise a 1 billion pension scheme but still...
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'm hoping to commission a necklace for my wife and some cuff links for myself based on the same design. Has anyone got a custom jewellery designer recommendation for me? Ty.

Comment

I'm hoping to commission a necklace for my wife and some cuff links for myself based on the same design. Has anyone got a custom jewellery designer recommendation for me? Ty.

A friend of mine used to do this type of thing but after moving back to Ireland/2nd child, she hasn't gotten round to getting a studio set up yet so wouldn't be able to pull it off

You could check these out - I've never used them but have heard of them before

Comment

GF also mentioned ESL (Emma Stuart Liberty) on Chatham St - She thinks they do commissions also

Dublin based Jewellers selling a bespoke range of handmade fine jewellery, custom made pieces we also offer a jewellery and watch repair service

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Take em to a tailor who puts on new pockets, there should just be iron on pocket fixes you can use too. I just have keys in my pocket and they don't tear anything so i have never looked for a solution but there are key wallets.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            a) a good way to properly fix holes in pockets. Maybe a seamstress if such a career still exists and didn't die out in Victorian times.
                            There is. Get the wife to sew it properly.

Seamstresses still exist, more in industrial though (and prob mostly in pakistan). It's a bit minor for a tailor. A dry cleaners/alterations place should sew it up pretty easy.

But its honestly a DIH (do-it-herself) job.
                            Sexism aside, I taught myself how to sew to deal with the tears and rips in my jiujitsu gi. Use a whip-stitch to fix the pocket.

Comment

iron on pockets, what a time to be alive
                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Got a couple of weddings this year and I dislike the current suit I own.

Wonder if I could carry off this one?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                  Got a couple of weddings this year and I dislike the current suit I own.

Wonder if I could carry off this one?

http://www.tedbaker.com/ie/Mens/Clot...126314-05-GREY
                                  Of all people, you could!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                    Canali made to measure in BT on 3rd, 4th. RDIII might be worth going if you are still searching out some slacks.

ETON made to measure in BT on 10th, 11th, 12th. I'l deffo be giving this a go.
                                    Trip report on the Eton shirts once done please.

Comment

My sunglasses seem to have gone walkabout. Where's a good place to get a new pair of Ray-Bans with only mildly absurd mark-up?

Comment

Just amazon or somewhere if you are set on the real thing and not the 1000 pairs of fakes that are the same style. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clothing-Ray...eywords=rayban

Sunglasses shops are a joke here. The sunglasses outlets in the US were pretty class. Just make your own pair on the spot, frame, lens, tint etc, and much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                          Just amazon or somewhere if you are set on the real thing and not the 1000 pairs of fakes that are the same style. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clothing-Ray...eywords=rayban

Sunglasses shops are a joke here. The sunglasses outlets in the US were pretty class. Just make your own pair on the spot, frame, lens, tint etc, and much cheaper.
                                          Agree with US.

Got a pair of RayBans in Boston last Jan and another in Vegas in December.

Now I have just realised I've both two pairs of Sunglasses in Winter.

Comment

Get some Serengeti glasses. I overpaid but you can get them via Amazon or frames direct online. A genuine step up from Ray Bans but Irish punters only recognise Ray Bans it seems.

Comment

Some of those Serengeti's look great, what ones do you have? The thing with most people is they only recognise raybans, and they want other people to know they have raybans, so they get raybans. Realistically the only difference between the real raybans and the $13 aliexpress fake raybans is the hinges.

Maui Jim look lovely but I know I would step on them or something when I am spending that much.
                                              Oakley's are fantastic quality but look so bad.

Dunno what to get personally, what did you go for Denny?

I like these kinda kent wangs and they are cheap:

Comment

Some of those Serengeti's look great, what ones do you have? The thing with most people is they only recognise raybans, and they want other people to know they have raybans, so they get raybans. Realistically the only difference between the real raybans and the $13 aliexpress fake raybans is the hinges.

Maui Jim look lovely but I know I would step on them or something when I am spending that much.

I like these kinda kent wangs and they are cheap:

These ones with polarised non scratch lenses. I way overpaid in a B&M shop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UG1H..._-AX5wbAD5V9K4

Mainly for driving in comfort my case. I totally agree with your comments re brand recognition. The other issue is that it's hard to buy sunglasses online when you want to see them on your face first. Sunglasses place on Dawson st sell Serengeti and just buy them online if you want to be a bit of a bollix about it.
                                                Last edited by V for Vendetta; 14-03-16, 20:02.

Comment

Just these, I've only ever bought one other pair of sunglasses, defo one of the aforementioned fish never even heard of Serengei before.

Comment

Pennies do them for 3 quid, look like the ones just above. (Y)

Comment

2 pairs of oakleys or raybans mix and match €230 in brown thomas for a few days.

Good if there are some you are after you cant find online, gonna have a look now.

Comment

Would anyone recommend a white shirt with a wide collar type for groomsmen? The English spread collar seems to be the fit for a wedding.

There are lot of terrible white shirts out there where the tie doesn't fit properly on them.

BT have some decent Eton shirts that I'm leaning towards. PINK also have some nice one but I'm not keen on their large collars.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by millhousegirl View Post
                                                          Would anyone recommend a white shirt with a wide collar type for groomsmen? The English spread collar seems to be the fit for a wedding.

There are lot of terrible white shirts out there where the tie doesn't fit properly on them.

BT have some decent Eton shirts that I'm leaning towards. PINK also have some nice one but I'm not keen on their large collars.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                                                          I have bought Eton shirts and they last for years. Bought 2 over 7 years ago and only just binned them and that was with heavy use. Bought another one recently. They are expensive but well worth it.
                                                          Last edited by elbows; 12-04-16, 13:30.
                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

2 pairs of oakleys or raybans mix and match €230 in brown thomas for a few days.

Good if there are some you are after you cant find online, gonna have a look now.
                                                            luxottica have to be the most genius company of all time
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Shirts are an easy game, TM Lewin for everyday shirts and Eton for decent ones. Don't ever recall specifically shopping for Eton shirts but I have a couple and they're lovely.

Comment

Tailors Mark doing 60% off linen jackets (code is 'LINEN'), until midnight. Regular price is from €800 though so not really being given away!

Comment

Looking to replace all my shoe laces, is there any particular brand that's best? Or anywhere that's better for a bulk buy?

Comment

Just an update on this. I struggled to get someone who'd do exactly what I wanted (and in one instance even bother their ass replying to me). Anyway I've just dropped 3k on a custom pendant, bracelet and cuff links with Appleby's. So far they've been a pleasure to deal with.

Delivery due in early August so I'm really looking forward to that.

The design is a Celtic wedding knot we used as a theme throughout our wedding with our 3 birthstones inserted. Both the pendant and bracelet will be in white gold and the cuff links in silver. Will update with a photo when done.

Comment

Looking to replace all my shoe laces, is there any particular brand that's best? Or anywhere that's better for a bulk buy?
                                                                      This is tricky. Either too fancy or very ordinary. I've gone for boring and ordinary to date. Try the style forum Denny. Those guys are seriously hardcore.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Where's good for casual t-shirts that aren't nerdy?

Comment

Penny's or dunnes do great 1 wash t-shirts so no time to turn into a nerd

Comment

I only wear plain t-shirts and usually get them in zara. Usually a nice fit.

Comment

What's a one wash tshirt?

Comment

You wash it once and it becomes 3 sizes smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                    What's a one wash tshirt?
                                                                                    Wash it once fuck it out

WOFO

Comment

undercover, endclothing, oipolloi, wtaps, nbhd, visvim, supreme, cdg SHIRT, real mccoys, tres-bien

cheaper designbyhumans
                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-07-16, 16:10.

Comment

50% off on Tailors Mark this weekend with code 50AUTUMN.

You can make it more like 60% in Euro terms however if you pay in Sterling. Worth a look if in the market for tailored shirts.
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

undercover, endclothing, oipolloi, wtaps, nbhd, visvim, supreme, cdg SHIRT, real mccoys, tres-bien

cheaper designbyhumans
                                                                                          Randomly checked two of the sites, bear in mind that this is Tar's list of "aren't Nerdy"

Comment

ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA
                                                                                            Wednesday 14th, Thursday 15th and Friday 16th September.
                                                                                            Mr. Filippo Maranghi will guide you through the collection and fits to create a bespoke suit or shirt that’s perfect for you.

CANALI
                                                                                            Thursday 22nd, Friday 23rd and Saturday 24th September.
                                                                                            Master Tailor Marco Pennazzato will begin the service with an in-depth consultation to meet your needs and taste.

ETON
                                                                                            Thursday 22nd, Friday 23rd and Saturday 24th September.
                                                                                            Enjoy an unprecedented level of personal elegance with Zegna’s Made to Measure Manager Klara Risberg.

CORNELIANI
                                                                                            Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th September.
                                                                                            Experience Made to Measure as an art form with Master Tailor Bryan Neary.

CROMBIE
                                                                                            Thursday 29th and Friday 30th September.
                                                                                            Master Tailor Stephen Scott presents Crombie’s exclusive Made to Measure coat service, showcasing fabric, style and button details to personalise.

TOM FORD
                                                                                            Thursday 20th, Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd October.
                                                                                            Master Tailor Luca Gervasi introduces Tom Ford’s Made to Measure service ensuring an unparalleled fit in ultimate luxury.
                                                                                            .

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                              Randomly checked two of the sites, bear in mind that this is Tar's list of "aren't Nerdy"
                                                                                              Haha, I can only go so far from what I know
                                                                                              Pretty sure some of those should be ok but not for those of delicate age :-p
                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-09-16, 20:52.

Comment

When I have more money I will fly to this shop and I will buy all their things.

For the impactful tie types

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 14-10-16, 11:05.

Comment

I've lost my clothes buying mojo over the past year. I need to reset and start again.

Anyway to that end I need some new shoe trees and the shop where I bought them before is selling them quite a bit cheaper than they were before and throwing in a small shoe care kit with a code (see here).

Now to purchase an RDIII umbrella....

Comment

I need a new umbrella too, not sure whether to go with Fulton again or something else, must check out this RD umbrella.

Comment

Anyone have an experience of returning items to Smyth and Gibson?

Returned some shirts from an online order months ago, sent via tracker, had seen it had been received but no reply. Emailed them about it. Never heard back and had forgotten about it until I received a sale email from them. Emailed again...still nothing, contacted them by facebook and finally heard something back. But only that they'd check and get back to me (that was Mon). Very odd.

Comment

Anyone have an experience of returning items to Smyth and Gibson?

Returned some shirts from an online order months ago, sent via tracker, had seen it had been received but no reply. Emailed them about it. Never heard back and had forgotten about it until I received a sale email from them. Emailed again...still nothing, contacted them by facebook and finally heard something back. But only that they'd check and get back to me (that was Mon). Very odd.
                                                                                                        When I returned shirts to get them recollared and recuffed there was a delay and I had to ring them up to ensure it got done. They needed a few gentle reminders to get it done.

Comment

In the final episode of Raw Craft, season two, Anthony Bourdain and The Balvenie head to Los Angeles to meet with master cobbler, Raul Ojeda of Willie’s Shoe...
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Ended up watching rest of episodes. Want a knife made from metorite (episode 4)

Comment

Comment

Where to go for cheap end of decent passable suit?

Don't want to go mad as plan is it won't fit in 6 months

Wedding and a couple of interviews

Work has been mental the last 9 months, let myself drift along with it a bit too much, bit of weight added, starting to lose it, really don't want (cant!) drop a load of cash on something that I plan/hope to give to charity around New year

Where to go in that london
                                                                                                                Under £300 would be good
                                                                                                                Under £250 would be better

Don't worry, once job change happens and weight lost, I will piss away monies on nice stuff

Comment

Work has been mental the last 9 months, let myself drift along with it a bit too much, bit of weight added, starting to lose it, really don't want (cant!) drop a load of cash on something that I plan/hope to give to charity around New year

Under £300 would be good

Don't worry, once job change happens and weight lost, I will piss away monies on nice stuff
                                                                                                                  Just go to M&S and pick up a suit that looks decent. Should have plenty at that price point and the quality is fine for what you are looking for.

Comment

Under £300 would be good

I think definitely go to Kildare Village, Savoy Taylor or Ted Baker, lots of decent value in that budget. You might even get really lucky in Brooks Brothers.

My bad seen you said London but for anyone else in the price range, it's the way to go in Ireland.

On a separate note, I decided to splurge on some Icebreaker, 100% Merino, 53 degrees north sell it in Ireland and it's unbelievable, expensive but great stuff.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 25-06-17, 22:15.

Comment

Charcoal grey suit; white shirt, brown brogue

What colour sock?

Comment

Charcoal grey suit; white shirt, brown brogue

What colour sock?
                                                                                                                        Orange, green and pink seems to be the in-trend sock colour at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X