• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on A10o on button

Playing in fitz 9 handed on the button with A10o

Blinds are 100-200

UTG+1 raised to 750 he has about 15k behind

All fold to me and I call with 12k behind and both blinds fold)

(history: no real note on villian, seem reasonable enough player and don't remember much of his play, we have not tangled on table before. I may have a fairly tight image winning two big hands showing full house both times where i took the aggressive line to win them with pocket pairs and didn't do anything wacky on the table )

Flop is A46 rainbow.

He bet 1.1k and I call.

Turn is 10

He bet 2.5k and I call

River is J

He bet 3.5k

I call.

Thoughts?
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
    Playing in fitz 9 handed on the button with A10o

Blinds are 100-200

UTG+1 raised to 750 he has about 15k behind

All fold to me and I call with 12k behind and both blinds fold)

(history: no real note on villian, seem reasonable enough player and don't remember much of his play, we have not tangled on table before. I may have a fairly tight image winning two big hands showing full house both times where i took the aggressive line to win them with pocket pairs and didn't do anything wacky on the table )

Flop is A46 rainbow.

He bet 1.1k and I call.

Turn is 10

He bet 2.5k and I call

River is J

He bet 3.5k

I call.

Thoughts?

why not raise the turn, nice little pot there now?
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

Seems fine as played post flop.. Might be kinda nitty, but I really don't like calling early position raises with A10o. Can end up getting into all sorts of annoying situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
        why not raise the turn, nice little pot there now?
        Thought strongly of doing that but thought he might fold given my image and thought I may get another bet on river if I flat called. If he checked river as I thought he would do I would have betted 1k - 1.5k for value.
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

aye, fold pre !

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
            Seems fine as played post flop.. Might be kinda nitty, but I really don't like calling early position raises with A10o. Can end up getting into all sorts of annoying situations.
            Agree with above somewhat given that you have no real info on how the guy plays.

Think its debatable if theres any arguement for raising the turn in this situation as there arn't many hands in his range that will call the raise and check call the river that you beat imho. Flatting the turn and river in this spot given background is best?
            Last edited by Duecewilder; 30-04-13, 23:55.
            Poker is like sex, position is everything..

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Duecewilder

Comment

Very standard hand. U played it perfectly. Nothin u can do if your hand is 2nd best
              If you're not in, you can't win

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                Agreed calling A10 off pre even in position isn't good, as played just c, c, c. Probably only ahead of AQ and Ak after he bets 3 streets. Get away pre or on the turn are the only options flop std call and so is river.

Comment

Lol reasonable player who 4x's pre. Right. Poker is alive and well.

I'd fold pre. A10 plays pretty shit here even in position especially in a bloated pot like this. Plus he's raising from EP.

Looks fine as played.
                  Last edited by peterswellman; 01-05-13, 00:32.

Comment

As said fold pre etc especially to this sizing. Shove turn IMO. The vast majority of randoms in the fitz will snap you off with aj+

Comment

Originally posted by GaryT View Post
                      As said fold pre etc especially to this sizing. Shove turn IMO. The vast majority of randoms in the fitz will snap you off with aj+
                      I'd find it hard not to shove the river too now that we'be flatted the turn.

Comment

I'd prefer to fold pre, but if u call pre, they your post flop play is fine.
                        Shoving river as suggested above seems pretty bad as you are often behind, no better hands will fold and the only hand he might call you with that U beat is AK and he might even fold that.

Comment

Agree with Rob on the river shove, bet sizing would suggest value to me anyway. I think value raising the river is super thin. Not saying value raising this river in some spots is bad cos it's definitely really good vs some opponents. But in this spot vs a 3.5x utg opener who barrels 3 streets, I think a call is just fine.

Don't like call pre at all, actually hate it, 3b/f or just fold preferably.

Comment

Thanks for replies guys. Will post results later (not that it matters much). Personally I thought the only sticky point was on the turn where maybe I should take down the pot there and then.

I am not sure the A10 is an automatic fold pre due to the fact that a) have position b) only one active player.

Not mad about the 3x raise pre as that would polarise the hand and anytime he call/reraise we would be beat. I thought the call pre would mean I could rep a wider range if necessary.

Comment

Surely its your preflop action that needs examining.

Why do you want to call?

This decision has led you down a 3 street blind alley & yet you still have no idea where you are in the hand. The only thing you do know is that you're in position & have put in 66% of your stack.

You say the villain is a reasonable player yet he is 3.75xing it preflop & you are prepared to take him on with A10o. What has his standard open been. I'm pretty sure it has to be a giveaway as I doubt he 3.75x opens every time from every position. I have played with you a few times and the one comment I would have is that your betsizing can be, lets say varied, so do you take this into account when on the other end? Have you assigned any sort of range to the villain in this hand?

There are many worse starting hands I would be prepared to call with here in position but I would put A10o down as one of my least favourite to exercise this option & would fold. I don't see how calling here can be profitable in the long run.

Anyway, there's my thoughts on A10 otb vs large EP open.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                Surely its your preflop action that needs examining.

Why do you want to call?

This decision has led you down a 3 street blind alley & yet you still have no idea where you are in the hand. The only thing you do know is that you're in position & have put in 66% of your stack.

You say the villain is a reasonable player yet he is 3.75xing it preflop & you are prepared to take him on with A10o. What has his standard open been. I'm pretty sure it has to be a giveaway as I doubt he 3.75x opens every time from every position. I have played with you a few times and the one comment I would have is that your betsizing can be, lets say varied, so do you take this into account when on the other end? Have you assigned any sort of range to the villain in this hand?

There are many worse starting hands I would be prepared to call with here in position but I would put A10o down as one of my least favourite to exercise this option & would fold. I don't see how calling here can be profitable in the long run.

Anyway, there's my thoughts on A10 otb vs large EP open.
                                Don't remember his previous opens (if any). Reason for no analysis on villian is due to madman on my left who busted out a few orbits before who was involved in every hand and was constantly opening which obviously influenced the table dynamics... Likewise my image would have been fairly tight.

Comment

What stage of the tourney are we at?
                                  Many left, near bubble etc?
                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

as Dice aluded to, some hands such as 87s, J9s even can be fine to call with here in position, once stacks are deep, where u might win a big pot vs a hand like QQ or KK, or you flop a hand that you can play well post flop, prehaps win the pot with a semi bluff, but, a hand like ATo is not a hand that plays well in a pot that has been subject to a big opening raise, it is a hand that has reverse implied odds.....if u hit an Ace and the villian has KK or QQ, u are unlikely to win a big pot, if the flop is ten high, u will again usually be behind if it turns into a big pot, if u flop an Ace, u can often lose a big pot vs a better ace, and even in spots like this, where u have top 2 on the turn, the decisions are not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                      pretty early if blinds 100/200

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                        Fairly early. 70/83 or something along those lines

Comment

Originally posted by Norwichfanrob View Post
                                          I'd prefer to fold pre, but if u call pre, they your post flop play is fine.
                                          Shoving river as suggested above seems pretty bad as you are often behind, no better hands will fold and the only hand he might call you with that U beat is AK and he might even fold that.
                                          I just don't see AJ continuing on the turn too often and given the bet sizing(villain has bet 3.5k into a player with 7.5k behind, not to mention the near 4x pre) I doubt villain is bet/folding river. We have blockers to a flopped or turned set and I was under the impression that most live players limp/call small PPs so I wouldn't be too concerned about being behind too often.

I prefer to shove the turn btw and was just saying it since we got here.

Folding all day long pre though.

Meh, that being said I rarely play live and the fish are a different kettle.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, interesting points. My 1st thought when I saw A10o was this could be tricky as I wasn't overly mad about it. If it was A9o or A8o I would have folded pre.

Anyway results *drumroll please*

SPOILER
                                            Villian had KQo and rivered the straight.

Comment

possibly the most retarded hand i have ever heard of in my life! and the worst part is your trying to call yourself nitty!

Comment

Originally posted by donkeykong View Post
                                                possibly the most retarded hand i have ever heard of in my life! and the worst part is your trying to call yourself nitty!
                                                lol yes, he's the retarded one!

Comment

Originally posted by donkeykong View Post
                                                  Never said I was nitty. Prior to that had I had only two showdowns where I showed full house on both occasions and was only involved in maybe 4-5 other hands where we didn't get to the river. So I dont think saying I had a fairly tight image at that table is incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                    Thanks for all the replies, interesting points. My 1st thought when I saw A10o was this could be tricky as I wasn't overly mad about it. If it was A9o or A8o I would have folded pre.

Anyway results *drumroll please*

SPOILER
                                                    Villian had KQo and rivered the straight.
                                                    Thats the problem with those kind of hands tho you never really know where u are A high am I out Kicked 10 high has he JJ QQ etc . horrible spot and kinda unlucky too
                                                    Atlantis Events Beat The Boss Saturday 7th Mar @5pm €5,000 Gtd The Dolmen Carlow

Comment

donkeykong you are either a troll or a retard; in either case get lost

Comment

Working...
                                                      X