Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Android Apps

All available free on the Android Market:

Video/Media Player --> RockPlayer (plays .avi/.xvid/.divx/.mp4/.3gp/.flv etc: with no file conversion required)

Task/Memory Management --> Advanced Task Killer

Notepad --> AK Notepad

Texting --> Cabbage (Text using your online free webtexts & not from your bundle texts)

Units Converter --> ConvertPad

Poker Odds Calculator --> Poker Odds Evaluator

Torch --> NexFlash (Use your Android device as a torch)

Google Docs Access --> GDocs

Also install Google Earth and the speech plugin for Google Maps that allows you use the full SatNav functionality provided free with the App. Been using it and the data usage is surprisingly low.

Last edited by TM2204; 21-07-10, 18:11.

Good idea for a thread imo

Comment

I downloaded that cabbage thing, but how do I use it to select a contact? It seems I have to type in their number or am I doing it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Valor View Post
        I downloaded that cabbage thing, but how do I use it to select a contact? It seems I have to type in their number or am I doing it wrong
        No you do have to type in number (update required guys ) but you can choose from 'Recent' entered numbers so your top few numbers will be available without having to key them in again after you have entered them once.

Last edited by TM2204; 21-07-10, 23:10.

Comment

Another App:

Easy Text Entry --> SwiftKey Beta (Most downloaded App on Android Market this week)

Comment

Apparently this is excellent for transferring files over wifi to your phone, no cables required.

I haven't installed it yet, but intend to soon.

Comment

Google translate is pretty impressive

Epicurious is handy for recipes and shopping lists

Dolphin Browser HD is worth installing

Dropbox is v v handy for file transfer, can be used on many platforms

no to 0870 is great, if you dial a premium rate number, it intercepts it and finds you the normal landline for that company

Quickoffice for looking at word/excel attachments

Last.fm is good for free tunes, needs wifi tho tbh

Mabilo ringtones

Evernote is invaluable for me, you can take pics, voice notes or type stuff in. Between it and google calender my work scheduling and billing people is sorted.
              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Just found & installed 'K2 Irish Web Texter'. Does the same job as cabbage only (a) you can setup multiple accounts if you have 2 or more numbers (b) supports contacts from the phone's contact list.

Comment

RE: cabbage contacts.

You need to copy contacts from sim to phone or vica versa ( I had the same issue at the start)
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Obviously not an App but the new Android 2.2 upgrade Froyo is now available as a system upgrade direct from HTC for the Desire.

Download is 90mb, you need 25mb free internal memory to run the upgrade.

Also, your Desire must be unlocked.

Great upgrade with some great new features and a 'Sense' upgrade.

Edit: Device runs a lot slicker & is even more responsive running Android 2.2
                    Last edited by TM2204; 02-08-10, 01:08.

Comment

Another nice App is 'Mobile Account Checker' which logs onto your service provider and gives you your remaining minutes, texts & data as well as a last bill summary and how long until your next bill.

I also has a webtexting facility built in similar to Cabbage and K2 with direct lookup of contacts. I will probably still use K2 for webtexting though as you can save and lookup all your sent webtexts which is a nice facility.

Last edited by TM2204; 02-08-10, 01:10.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                        RE: cabbage contacts.

You need to copy contacts from sim to phone or vica versa ( I had the same issue at the start)
                        this still doesnt give me contacts?

Comment

this still doesnt give me contacts?
                          Try 'K2 Irish Web Texter'.

Comment

Cabbage alternative = Textdroid, works perfectly for me on an o2 account.

Sky+ app allows you to remote record on your sky hd box from anywhere in the world once you have wifi/data connection

Where's my Droid - If you've lost your phone and it's on silent, text a predetermined message to your phone and your phone will turn itself off silent and start ringing for thirty seconds. Also can send a message which will reply with the co-ordinates of your phone (handy if you've been out and lost your phone but don't know where)

Gmote - Allows you use your android phone as a remote for your pc via a shared wireless network.

Doubletwist- Music player which I think is a lot better then the stock music player.

Calorie Counter- allows you to keep track of what you are putting in your body, also has barcode inbuilt so you can scan the barcode of what you are eating and it will auto upload the info for you.

Fring - MSN/AIM/Gmail im messenger all in one

Google goggles - more fun then anything, you take a picture of something, for example a product/monument and google will give you information about it.

Mytracks - App that tracks your movement, tells you how far you have ran/cycled and how fast etc.

Next train Ireland - gives you real time information on train times on all Irish rail routes (DART/Commuter etc)

Soccer scored football app - gets you the scores from practically any football match on the face of the earth.

3g watchdog - tells you how much 3g data you have downloaded, great if you have a data pack like me (250mb free and have to pay for it after that)

I also have a blutooth and a wifi on/off app which just makes turning on and off your wifi and blutooth one click on the main page.

Simples.

Must look into unlocking and getting that froyo thing, although I can't see how the desire can get much better
                            Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Call confirm.

Handy " are you sure you want to call this number" app.

I have a habit of pressing the top button when i stick it in my pocket, this seems to help with that.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Skype for Android released today.

Works ove WiFi and 3G so free Skype to Skype mobile calls over 3G now a reality.

Calling landline numbers outside your 'bundle' is now only 2.2c per min.

Comment

Does anybody use the betfair app? I can't seem to log in on it.

Comment

Android 'paid for' Market Apps are now live in Ireland.

Comment

Full Tilt Poker are currently testing the first real money poker app for Android phones. It will use their Rush Poker variant of poker for the app. According to this article they are currently testing the app and it could get a full release in a month all going well - Full Tilt Release Rush Poker Mobile For Android

Comment

Full version of Angry Birds should be out today, can't wait!
                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

There is now a video demo of that new Rush Mobile Poker Android app here - http://www.androidpokerapps.com/

Looks really good although I've heard that there is a bit of lag. Supposed to be opened to all Full Tilt players in about a month providing everything goes OK in the best testing. Can't wait.

Comment

Was struggling with the default keyboard on the htc and I was waiting to get on the swype beta when I found SlideIT. I can't imagine how swipe could be any better than this.
                                            Its a free demo I'm running but I'd have no problem paying for this.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              Was struggling with the default keyboard on the htc and I was waiting to get on the swype beta when I found SlideIT. I can't imagine how swipe could be any better than this.
                                              Where did you find the demo for this? Link would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                Where did you find the demo for this? Link would be appreciated.

I don't know what the restrictions are on the demo but I haven't noticed any yet.

Comment

Get 'Trapster' for (hopefully, it's up to us!!) up-to-date information on the spots for these bloody new speed camera's....

Comment

Do you have to pay for tapatalk or is there any free alternative?
                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                                      Get 'Trapster' for (hopefully, it's up to us!!) up-to-date information on the spots for these bloody new speed camera's....

Get using this App people (for iPhone too), it has the potential, if everyone updates, to be excellent.

Comment

I downloaded trapster today and gave it a test run on the drive to college. Wasn't very impressed tbh. It was very slow and unresponsive in terms of trying to put a thumbs down to notifications of speedchecks.
                                                        Also no matter what option I chose in the menu I couldn't get any sound notifications. I'm going to uninstall it and just look for an app that has a list of the 100 or so spots where these private speed checks will be, hopefully I can get it integrated with google navigation.

Comment

I downloaded trapster today and gave it a test run on the drive to college. Wasn't very impressed tbh. It was very slow and unresponsive in terms of trying to put a thumbs down to notifications of speedchecks.
                                                          Also no matter what option I chose in the menu I couldn't get any sound notifications. I'm going to uninstall it and just look for an app that has a list of the 100 or so spots where these private speed checks will be, hopefully I can get it integrated with google navigation.
                                                          Thats dissapointing to hear. Gonna test it properly myself tomorrow as I have a lot of driving to do then.

Will you keep us notified if you find anything and I will do likewise.

Comment

I find the password app very handy as i have loads of them which i just keep forgetting

Comment

There is a new software update for the HTC Desire at the moment + a new Angry Birds called Seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                My Demo on it ran out the other day so after a day of playing with the old keyboard I decided to pay up the €5.99 which I did yesterday - Today I get an email from Swype:

Welcome to the Swype Beta for Android!

I run so bad

I might give the swype a spin anyway , there are a couple of things about access to the secondary characters that could be improved in slideit

Comment

Penetrator.

Allows you to get WEP passwords of some WiFi routers.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                    Penetrator.

Allows you to get WEP passwords of some WiFi routers.
                                                                    This is the nuts.

TY neighbours.

Comment

Anybody using a speed camera finding app? Tried trapster before but uninstalled it as i thought it was very slow and probably not up to date.

Also Doubletwist air has been released which is pretty cool, wirelessly syncs music between pc and phone.

Also got dropbox for my phone which is also a good piece of kit to have imo.

Comment

Whats the best football/sports news app?

Comment

Skype for Android released today.

Works ove WiFi and 3G so free Skype to Skype mobile calls over 3G now a reality.

Calling landline numbers outside your 'bundle' is now only 2.2c per min.

How do Skype calls work? Is it using my Data or what? Does it use much?

Comment

Whats the best football/sports news app?
                                                                            I use mobile sports news, but i allso have setantagoals.com bookmarked, you can watch any goals on it.

Comment

#39
                                                                              How do Skype calls work? Is it using my Data or what? Does it use much?
                                                                              Yeah, Skype uses data but I use it quite a bit and it doesn't appear to use much TBH.

If your on the Three network in Ireland you can use the 'Planet 3' Skype client and any data used is free and not from your bundled allowance. However, the Planet 3 Skype client is very basic and not as feature rich as the Marketplace Skype client.

You will need Froyo 2.2 to run the full Skype Android client.

It's a great app with the potential to save you a bundle...

Comment

#40
                                                                                The RTE news app is decent.

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Contacts..

I am having trouble with my contacts all merging with FB etc and when I go to make a call I have no clue what is what. I cant see how to delete either.

Its the HTC Desire btw..

Comment

#42
                                                                                    If I remember correct its been awhile since I had to deal with the contacts, had me frustrated for awhile once you get them all sorted with your gmail account there is some option on who an what to show that should sort that out hopefully.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                      If I remember correct its been awhile since I had to deal with the contacts, had me frustrated for awhile once you get them all sorted with your gmail account there is some option on who an what to show that should sort that out hopefully.
                                                                                      I rarely use my gmail and I am mainly on hotmail. will have to read up on it more methinks.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        You can remove them from the 'People' Area but not from the phone list

1. Press Phone.
                                                                                        2. Press Menu.
                                                                                        3. Press People.
                                                                                        4. Press Menu.
                                                                                        5. Press View.
                                                                                        6. Untick Facebook (and anything else you don't require).

more details here

Comment

#45
                                                                                          I also have a problem with my address book. I've had the same sim card for about 10 years and consequently I seem to have plenty of duplicate names. Is there anyway to purge duplicate phone numbers or any program I can download that will allow me to mass delete ticked contacts?

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Yeah, Skype uses data but I use it quite a bit and it doesn't appear to use much TBH.

If your on the Three network in Ireland you can use the 'Planet 3' Skype client and any data used is free and not from your bundled allowance. However, the Planet 3 Skype client is very basic and not as feature rich as the Marketplace Skype client.

You will need Froyo 2.2 to run the full Skype Android client.

It's a great app with the potential to save you a bundle...

Have it working, seems very handy, I have a Skype subscription so that menas all my landlines calls will be free etc. The phone networks cant be very happy about this and programs called Free Web Texter etc though?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                              I rarely use my gmail and I am mainly on hotmail. will have to read up on it more methinks.
                                                                                              I also have a problem with my address book. I've had the same sim card for about 10 years and consequently I seem to have plenty of duplicate names. Is there anyway to purge duplicate phone numbers or any program I can download that will allow me to mass delete ticked contacts?
                                                                                              Yeah I had the same problem like both of you a lot of duplicate names and just names all jumbled up.

If you use your gmail you can sync it with the contacts and use it to edit things easy in gmail rather than on your phone and then as strewel points out you can just select which contacts you want to show ie gmail should hopefully sort out that problem.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                I have like 800 contacts on my gmail though from all the random people I've emailed over the years, doesnt that get annoying having all of them show up in your contacts?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Have it working, seems very handy, I have a Skype subscription so that menas all my landlines calls will be free etc. The phone networks cant be very happy about this and programs called Free Web Texter etc though?
                                                                                                  Fuck em

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Well yeah obviously fuck em, I just mean from the POV that they aren't going to try and charge us for calls we make thru skype other than data charges or something? There's no hidden cost I'm missing..?

Like in the US you can call Mobiles for free with the subscription which is like 10 euro a month, so if they extend that to here some day..

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Well yeah obviously fuck em, I just mean from the POV that they aren't going to try and charge us for calls we make thru skype other than data charges or something? There's no hidden cost I'm missing..?

Like in the US you can call Mobiles for free with the subscription which is like 10 euro a month, so if they extend that to here some day..
                                                                                                      Nope, no hidden costs.

I think carriers will be soon selling data only plans and people will call & text using apps & data.

I think Skype are soon to release a video version of the app so video calling is coming soon....

Comment

#52

Do not fuck them, I need to stay in my job. That is not the attitude to have at all!!

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          I'm just saying fuck em so you can go pro

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            I'm just saying fuck em so you can go pro
                                                                                                            Its funny that of some of the pros that I know online are thinking of going back to work/college!! Poker getting too tough to go pro!!

But seriosuly the networks make a shit load of money from voice/txt messages. They have been investing millions/week in upgrading their data speeds over last few years (on average speed has been doubling every year for last few years)

Problem is they dont make all that much money from data and the fact that you and I and more and more people with smart phones are going to start using them for voip they will be getting very worried shortly and coule well start brining in measure to block them. I do remember when I had an iphone that for me to make a call on skype I had to be on the wlan but with the HTC it works over 3G also.

Also you use very little data when making voice calls, video calls will use probably 10+ times your data but with the data allowances being so high you probably have nothing to worry about

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Scummvm is awesome, it's more or less an emulator that lets you play all the old point and click games. Indianna Jones, Monkey Island, Discworld, Full Throttle etc
                                                                                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                I've been using the SKype app on my phone all the time, its super super handy and works very well even on 3g

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  'Lookout' is the easiest way to protect your phone from viruses, hackers, loss and theft.

Free & paid version for extra functionality.

Class App.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Does it run constantly on your phone? Is it hard on the battery?

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                                                                                                      Does it run constantly on your phone? Is it hard on the battery?
                                                                                                                      Yeah, runs constantly. so far can't say it's too hard on battery at all. I run it & Skype constantly.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Any HTC Desire HD owners there's a new OTA upgrade, 2.2.1, available that fixes a lot of little bugs and improves overall phone performance.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X