Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Good idea, or Strava. Would use the latter a lot more often.
    Very easy to set up a club in Strava:

A club for all the runners at IrishPokerBoards - marathons, sprints and everything in between!

Hopefully it's open to join

Comment

Rambling post.

The availability of fitbits and runnings apps really do help motivate you. I’m trying to keep to a schedule and keeping it slow as advised but my old running form keeps trying to speed me up. I’ve consciously nearly been running on the spot to keep myself in check. At the moment I’ve no plans to do a 5k for about 6 weeks or so to protect my mortality. The big thing for me though is I’m very bad at diet. After a crawling run I’m nearly cramming the food into my gob like Homer in a doughnut shop. This means I’m hardly losing any weight. I have the discipline to actually get off my arse and jog but zero discipline with the food. AM I going to die? How do you skinny feckers keep the belly from screaming ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
        Rambling post.

The availability of fitbits and runnings apps really do help motivate you. I’m trying to keep to a schedule and keeping it slow as advised but my old running form keeps trying to speed me up. I’ve consciously nearly been running on the spot to keep myself in check. At the moment I’ve no plans to do a 5k for about 6 weeks or so to protect my mortality. The big thing for me though is I’m very bad at diet. After a crawling run I’m nearly cramming the food into my gob like Homer in a doughnut shop. This means I’m hardly losing any weight. I have the discipline to actually get off my arse and jog but zero discipline with the food. AM I going to die? How do you skinny feckers keep the belly from screaming ?
        I'm not one of the skinny ones as you might see from my earlier posts.
        Maybe bad advice but I'd suggest you keep eating what you want after the runs for the time being - ultimately running+poor eating is better than no exercise + poor eating. A Saturday fry-up remains my post parkrun breakfast and I'm not planning on changing that.
        There will come up a time when the weight will start to drop off because of the running, unfortunately its no longer immediate like back when we were 20.
        Maybe you could tweak it a little so that the worst non-foods (the chocolate/crisps you reward yourself with) just aren't in the house at all.

Comment

Can you run early mornings Willie, on an empty stomach?

And stick to protein as much as possible for the post run feasts.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Can you run early mornings Willie, on an empty stomach?

And stick to protein as much as possible for the post run feasts.
            Early mornings are out I'm afraid . I'd stick to protein but the kids never finish their dinner and I hate throwing out food . Shepards pie with tomato sauce last night . I know. Im doomed

Enjoying the pain though, it's like an old friend .

Comment

Quite the 'Competitive Dad' stuff in Hartstown this morning.

About 600M to go and coming up to the 2nd last bend I was about to undertake a 13/14 old who'd gone off fast but was tiring a bit.
              As I tried to go inside a voice from the sidelines shouted 'Hold your line, make him go round you'. Track then straightens up for a good stretch and I went past with a 50metre sprint but I was soon running on empty and the kiddo reeled me in with 'you got him, he got nothing more' in the background from his supporter.
              He then had two more runners up ahead in his sights and he was encouraged with shouts of 'two more, pick em off, one last burst'.
              Very funny, just seemed weirdly inappropriate for parkrun. Kid had a top for some running club so prob just a practise run.

All in all the excitement of it (and the perfect conditions) helped me to a 20sec PB, just another 40sec to find now.

Comment

Super stuff on the pb AJ, that's a nice slice.

lol @ your man, prob teaching the kid how to race alright but I don't think parkrun is the appropriate place for it either.

Comment

Anyone else running the race series 10k tomorrow?

Comment

Would you consider forgetting the marathon for a few years and concentrating on the shorter stuff?

There's a reason the average age of a good amateur marathoner, sub 3 guys is early forties. They were all smashing 10ks when they were 28 and had peak speed.

Spend a few years on 5 and 10ks while you're in your prime and you will sub 3 in a decade.
                    You got in my head Signed up for a 10km late Aug, will be targeting under 45.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                      Great stuff!! Am targeting 45:xx myself tomorrow. PB is 46:55 from April so it's a bit of an ask, but definitely feel fitter than then so fingers crossed.

Comment

Jogassed 3k this morning .

Comment

Great stuff!! Am targeting 45:xx myself tomorrow. PB is 46:55 from April so it's a bit of an ask, but definitely feel fitter than then so fingers crossed.
                          Yeasss. 45:48. Felt really strong. Delighted.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                            Very easy to set up a club in Strava:

A club for all the runners at IrishPokerBoards - marathons, sprints and everything in between!

Hopefully it's open to join
                            C'mon lads, join this, only myself Paul and Mellor so far. If you've no strava, sign up, it's brilliant.

Comment

C'mon lads, join this, only myself Paul and Mellor so far. If you've no strava, sign up, it's brilliant.
                              No point for me unfortunately, I don't carry any timing devices while running not even a wrist stopwatch.
                              All my times are 'click start on the phone stopwatch as I leave the house, click stop when I come back'.

Comment

I joined for the craic. Will never be a runner but doing a 10k for charity in October so tipping away a couple nights a week. Will hope for a sub 1hr one.
                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

I'm a creature of habit i'm afraid and have five years of data on Runkeeper and need to see out this year at least to keep my 1000km goal data all in one place.

Might give it a shot in the new year. Will have a sniff around it. I know everyone recommends it but i'm so used to Runkeeper at this stage i don;t have to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                    No point for me unfortunately, I don't carry any timing devices while running not even a wrist stopwatch.
                                    All my times are 'click start on the phone stopwatch as I leave the house, click stop when I come back'.
                                    What sort of weirdoid is you did you not know that if its not recorded and uploaded to the cloud it didn't happen

You can use an app on your phone, there are loads of apps... Strava, Google mapmyfitness, there is a good one called RunDouble I used before I got the watch.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                      I'm a creature of habit i'm afraid and have five years of data on Runkeeper and need to see out this year at least to keep my 1000km goal data all in one place.

Might give it a shot in the new year. Will have a sniff around it. I know everyone recommends it but i'm so used to Runkeeper at this stage i don;t have to think about it.
                                      They aren't mutually exclusive, you just link the accounts and the data will be sucked out into Strava.

Comment

I actually record my runs using Garmin's MyConnect and use that more so than Strava to analyse afterwards; but linking to Strava is definitely the best for community sharing, etc... Join us

Comment

The fly-by feature on Strava is so much fun.

Love when I pass another runner in the mornings and then see them on fly-by later, having a nose at their run.

Comment

The fly-by feature on Strava is so much fun.

Love when I pass another runner in the mornings and then see them on fly-by later, having a nose at their run.
                                            now i know why that ol wan was sniggering at me.

i'll check it out for the lol at some stage. old foot injury trying to force me off foot and on to bike. Really needs an op but cant be arsed with that shit again

Comment

now i know why that ol wan was sniggering at me.

i'll check it out for the lol at some stage. old foot injury trying to force me off foot and on to bike. Really needs an op but cant be arsed with that shit again
                                              Ah no. Wonder would orthotics help, there's a physio in Newcastle, not sure how good they are.

Comment

Did my very first 10k run this morning First time I've ever went further than 8k actually, as I'm trying to find the time to actually get the 'long' into Long Slow Run! Only way I'll ever be able to break sub 20 5k I think, need to up the mileage somehow. Running longer distances is really, really outside my comfort zone but I'm gonna do my best to get a few in per month.

Comment

Nice one Paul

Comment

One week since the right calf fired up and blew. Went to the Physio, told me both of my (admittedly huge calves) were far too tight. The good one was actually the worst. He informs me with stretching I can go back jogging within the week. . I still feel a lot of pain so I’m doubting this. Will also return for some deep tissue massage , I’ve been doing the exercises but they are very slow to loosen.

Anyone else experience ‘tight calf muscles’ ? Fallout? Recovery?

Comment

will join this, focusing on 5kms as i've never been a runner, best is sub 23mins, and really want to break 20min eventually but 21 for now. Typically do Poolbeg parkruns which involves a little climb in the middle but a good track usually.

Comment

One week since the right calf fired up and blew. Went to the Physio, told me both of my (admittedly huge calves) were far too tight. The good one was actually the worst. He informs me with stretching I can go back jogging within the week. . I still feel a lot of pain so I’m doubting this. Will also return for some deep tissue massage , I’ve been doing the exercises but they are very slow to loosen.

Foam roller for a few minutes at least twice a day, gentle stretching all through the day, heel lifts on stairs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          Foam roller for a few minutes at least twice a day, gentle stretching all through the day, heel lifts on stairs etc.
                                                          Bought one in Aldi for a fiver. Bargain. Physio has me doing the heel drops lifts etc. Progress is slow . I'm not one for shirking rehab

Comment

What sort of weirdoid is you did you not know that if its not recorded and uploaded to the cloud it didn't happen

You can use an app on your phone, there are loads of apps... Strava, Google mapmyfitness, there is a good one called RunDouble I used before I got the watch.
                                                            Is there reasonably priced watches that are worth getting? Been meaning to try and get into doing a couple of 5ks a week. Dragging the phone around doesn't sound like the most appealing, but I'd like something to help with a plan.

Comment

I have this one:

My second Garmin, got it for £150 in one of Amazon's many sales. Very good, much better than the next watch down in their range. Probably could pick one up for €100+ on Adverts.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                Is there reasonably priced watches that are worth getting? Been meaning to try and get into doing a couple of 5ks a week. Dragging the phone around doesn't sound like the most appealing, but I'd like something to help with a plan.
                                                                I'd also recommend the Garmin 235 with wrist HRM, works for cycling and swimming as well as as a general activity tracker.

You could go for the forerunner 25 at c. 100 if you were certain you would only ever use it for running but c.200 is savage value for the 235 I think I paid 330 three years ago and am still getting great value out of it.
                                                                I'd stick with Garmin, asides from the quality of the watches the connect software is excellent as is their service. My son has the same watch and it got smashed when he took a tumble out running last month, Garmin replaced it with a new one for 80.

Comment

Something of a milestone reached this morning, 600th tracked run in just under six years.

3,160 miles (5,085Km) in total with nearly 440,000 calories burned apparently.

Imagine how big i'd be if i hadn't done that!

Comment

Something of a milestone reached this morning, 600th tracked run in just under six years.

3,160 miles (5,085Km) in total with nearly 440,000 calories burned apparently.

Imagine how big i'd be if i hadn't done that!
                                                                    Super stuff Benny, some mileage when you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                      will join this, focusing on 5kms as i've never been a runner, best is sub 23mins, and really want to break 20min eventually but 21 for now. Typically do Poolbeg parkruns which involves a little climb in the middle but a good track usually.
                                                                      Haha, great stuff Joe, must try make it to Poolbeg some Sat for a catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                        Just Googled this route and its part of my regular workday 10K route. I run from Merrion Sq down to Sean Moore Park, right through (or sometimes round) Irishtown Nature Park and down past the towers to the car park at the end of Pigeon House Road and then back again to Merrion Sq.

Nice run. Hope to do it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                          I have this one:

My second Garmin, got it for £150 in one of Amazon's many sales. Very good, much better than the next watch down in their range. Probably could pick one up for €100+ on Adverts.
                                                                          I'd also recommend the Garmin 235 with wrist HRM, works for cycling and swimming as well as as a general activity tracker.

You could go for the forerunner 25 at c. 100 if you were certain you would only ever use it for running but c.200 is savage value for the 235 I think I paid 330 three years ago and am still getting great value out of it.
                                                                          I'd stick with Garmin, asides from the quality of the watches the connect software is excellent as is their service. My son has the same watch and it got smashed when he took a tumble out running last month, Garmin replaced it with a new one for 80.
                                                                          thanks guys. I've looked at the reviews and I'm kinda a bit confused what you're getting for ~200yoyos, seems a lot for gps + hr? You guys obv get good use out of it, am I missing something?

Comment

Not all GPS features are equal, in my experience. Like if you try to use your phone, etc... to track your runs, not only is it less than convenient doing that than via a button on your wrist, the actual GPS tracking is always off. At least using multiple Android phones previously for me. Garmin always dead on accurate when you compare the map of your run to where you went. HR monitor, cadence monitor, etc... also extremely handy, all tracked and recorded in the Garmin ecosystem (and exported to Strava).

Plus another argument to 'it costs €200!' is 'all this for only €200'

Comment

How much you guys spend on running shoes . If its less than your watch

Comment

You can use a sliotar to roll around the calf to help loosen it out. A broom handle also works.

Comment

How much you guys spend on running shoes . If its less than your watch
                                                                                  About e120-e150 does me for one pair a year which is last 1000km. Admittedly a bit longer that they 'recommend' but fine for me.

Comment

About e120-e150 does me for one pair a year which is last 1000km. Admittedly a bit longer that they 'recommend' but fine for me.
                                                                                    Yeah, same.

I bought my first pair, a pair of Asics in an Elvery's sale for €65, they were grand but wouldn't recommend an off the shelf pair.

Got my 2nd pair (NB) in Amphibian King after an extensive gait analysis, guys down there know their stuff, they'll fit you out with the correct pair. Cost €125 I think.

Got my 3rd pair a couple of months ago from the same place, a year later, a pair of Brooks. These are like gloves, really comfortable. Cost €130.

If you're having calf issues Willie definitely go to a place like this, guys are experts and will fit you out with the correct shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                      thanks guys. I've looked at the reviews and I'm kinda a bit confused what you're getting for ~200yoyos, seems a lot for gps + hr? You guys obv get good use out of it, am I missing something?
                                                                                      I've the same watch as SP and Paul, it's a fantastic piece of kit. I've recently started programming workouts into it, using the app. So handy.

I actually don't get much use out of the HR monitor on it, mainly because I haven't really figured out what my true max heart rate is. The inputting of which is vital if you want to use it to train. Will someday though.

If you don't feel you'll use it, the 235 without the monitor is a few quid cheaper.

Comment

Yeah, same.

I bought my first pair, a pair of Asics in an Elvery's sale for €65, they were grand but wouldn't recommend an off the shelf pair.

Got my 2nd pair (NB) in Amphibian King after an extensive gait analysis, guys down there know their stuff, they'll fit you out with the correct pair. Cost €125 I think.

Got my 3rd pair a couple of months ago from the same place, a year later, a pair of Brooks. These are like gloves, really comfortable. Cost €130.

If you're having calf issues Willie definitely go to a place like this, guys are experts and will fit you out with the correct shoe.
                                                                                        Agreed. I've used Amphibian King exclusively for the least six years. Couldn't recommend highly enough. I was on Brooks for the first four or five years (got fed up putting my big toe through the top of them!) and switched to Mizuno last time.

Comment

Cheers lads . Calves rehab'd now . Will recommence next week after some conditioning work . Way behind schedule now boo

Comment

Some nutjob sprinted clear in the first 500 metres at Hartstown this morning, like maybe 100/150 metres ahead at that stage. I remember thinking he'll look the right eejit when the sub19 guys go past him on Lap2, might even catch him myself when he's reduced to a gasping walk near the end.
                                                                                            Turns out the fucker (Sean Hehir) won the DCM a few years ago and competes for Ireland at 10K and marathon in the likes of the Euros and World Championship.
                                                                                            He didn't come back to the field this morning.

Amazing who you can meet at parkrun.
                                                                                            Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 08-09-18, 13:46.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                              Some nutjob sprinted clear in the first 500 metres at Hartstown this morning, like maybe 100/150 metres ahead at that stage. I remember thinking he'll look the right eejit when the sub19 guys go past him on Lap2, might even catch him myself when he's reduced to a gasping walk near the end.
                                                                                              Turns out the fucker (Sean Hehir) won the DCM a few years ago and competes for Ireland at 10K and marathon in the likes of the Euros and World Championship.
                                                                                              He didn't come back to the field this morning.

Amazing who you can meet at parkrun.
                                                                                              Think I have tendonitis. Fk Sean the hare .

Comment

Had a great half marathon this morning.

Have been training for a 3:45 since about week 6, am on week 14 now. I ran last week's 12 mile marathon pace run at 3:40 pace kinda by accident and it felt quite comfortable. It got me thinking about reassessing the target.

I planned to run the half at that pace and see how it felt but a friend advised me to race it flat out as that plan wouldn't really tell me jack shit. Thought about it and realised he was right.

He asked me what my 10 mile time predicted for the half and I checked McMillan.

1:41:38

Those predictors are quite optimistic for someone starting out, they assume you've built up a healthy endurance base, so they're usually off. I fell a good deal short of them last year, as is expected.

Decided to target it as if I hit it, it would give me great confidence in a 3:40 target for next month.

Came home in 1:41:32

Buzzing here.

Comment

Did you run it Benny?

Comment

Did you run it Benny?

Sadly not. Family emergency intervened. Looked like a perfect day for it though and congrats. Spectacular time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great run Lazare. Will you be reassessing the marathon target based on that? What does McMillan convert 1:41 to as a marathon time?

Comment

Sadly not. Family emergency intervened. Looked like a perfect day for it though and congrats. Spectacular time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                                                                        Oh, hope everything ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                          Great run Lazare. Will you be reassessing the marathon target based on that? What does McMillan convert 1:41 to as a marathon time?
                                                                                                          It predicts 3:33.

Not brave enough for that.

The plan I'm following (Jack Daniels Q2) is renowned for bringing your distance times in, it is working so far, but I think this is a year too early to attempt a marathon prediction.

A 3:40 is ambitious I think. It's an 18 minute pb, I feel confident in it right now, would not feel confident in anything quicker.

Comment

The plan I'm following (Jack Daniels Q2) is renowned for bringing your distance times in, it is working so far, but I think this is a year too early to attempt a marathon prediction.

A 3:40 is ambitious I think. It's an 18 minute pb, I feel confident in it right now, would not feel confident in anything quicker.
                                                                                                            3.30 imo.ya pigeon. You will crack that .

Comment

3.30 imo.ya pigeon. You will crack that .

I don't think so Willie, not this time around.

I don't have enough time, if I felt this way with 12 weeks to go I would go for it. Have only two proper weeks left to adjust to 3:40 as it is.

Comment

I don't think so Willie, not this time around.

I don't have enough time, if I felt this way with 12 weeks to go I would go for it. Have only two proper weeks left to adjust to 3:40 as it is.
                                                                                                                you've already done the adjustment. Wind down to race day , keep everything strengthened and flex . Deffo a viable target with your half time

Comment

Ended up running two 10ks over the past week; first was 48:55 (treadmill) & today was 46:58 (race). Can only be happy with that given lack of training. Have signed up for a half marathon next weekend & despite the below sentiment I find myself signed up for a trail run marathon at Halloween (far from committed to this though, a fiver difference in the cost of half vs full was reason for booking).

I would definitely be surprised if I ran another one in the next decade but equally surprised if I don't revisit them in my later years.

Comment

I'd probably have a craic at 3:30, but I'm impatient and foolish.
                                                                                                                    Chalking off the easy 3:40 pb is the smarter choice

Comment

easy is not a word I had in mind

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                        I'd probably have a craic at 3:30, but I'm impatient and foolish.
                                                                                                                        Chalking off the easy 3:40 pb is the smarter choice
                                                                                                                        That's the spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Irisheman
                                                                                                                          Hey guys can I use two IPO tokens as a ticket for the high roller? (Plus some tourney tokens back?)

I cant play the main as running the marathon on Sunday but the HR kick off time looks doable.

Unlikely there will be HR online sats I would imagine?
                                                                                                                          !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X