Eradicate The Hook - Golf Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eradicate The Hook - Golf Log

So I don't know if people will learn as much from this as the fitness logs but I hope it might interest some. I played a bit of a golf in the summers when I was younger and although I was never a member of a club I was playing to a 16 handicap at my height. I'm now 24 and my first love of sports, rugby, is no longer an option due to injury. I've got back into golf in the past few weeks and played 2 rounds in the past few days scoring 18 and 20 points off 22, so lots to work on.

I plan on joining a club (Bray is looking like the front runner) in the next 2 weeks which will allow me to play a lot more. I'm completely free for the summer before hopefully starting a job in October so time isn't an issue. I'll probably take a few lessons from the club pro (I think my core technique is good but I've been woefully inconsistent in the two rounds) I'm also using these videos which I've found to be very easy to follow https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTw...w5xs4wdN-qz7yw

I plan on trying to get 9 holes in with the old man this evening if we can get out and have another round penciled in for Tuesday afternoon.

I suppose my goal would be to playing to sub 15 by this point next year. I can't tell if that's over or under ambitious but we shall see. I'll keep this updated after each practice or round. I toyed with the idea of a stand alone blog but this seemed like a much better fit. If there is a type of information people would like included just shout.
    The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

So whatever about my golf the two courses I played last week had some serious views.

Bray

Blainroe
    The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

On the face of it, getting to sub 15 sounds ambitious if a golfers averages are over 20 shots above that right now.
      The sample size you are giving is too small to judge though. If you were just playing once a week you should take at least 10 shots off your current averages in 2 or 3 months just because you would be developing your feel for the short game.
      The fact that you were playing to 16 before means you have a natural ability so there is no reason that you couldn't get to that level again, especially with extra knowledge, practice and commitment that you mention. And I assume you are stronger than you were when you were 16 so that'll help a lot too.
      The lowest I consistently played to was 17, I haven't played much in the last 5 years though. Maybe 6 or 7 rounds total. If I played a game today I would probably score around your scores but I know that's nowhere near my true ability and with regular playing and practice I would easily get to a 20 average.
      Best of luck with it, it'll be interesting to follow.

Comment

Just in from 9 holes in Ballinascorney with the old man. Delighted with the improvement since Friday, changed a few small things in my swing based on a few videos I'd watched. Only duffed 2 shots and gave myself puts for par on 5 of the 9 holes. Finished up with 13 points off 22.

Real confident boost of a round, drives were all straight. Things to work on are my distance control and judging the correct club. I simply don't know which to pull out when I'm 120ish out etc and my putting. If I can get down in two puts on every green it will make a huge difference.

Going to head up to the driving range in Leopardstown tomorrow afternoon to attempt to get a better control of my distance and then use the putting green outside. Will probably go around for 18 afterwards on my own, no idea what state the course is in up there. Anyway positive day to kick things off.

Comment

Playing to sub 15 in 12 months should be achievable imo if you were a true 16 handicap as a kid.

Cool log, will keep any eye out for it.

Comment

Spent 2 hours on the driving range today which was really productive, think I diagnosed the fact that i was over turning in my follow through which was causing me to hook a lot of drives. I also went through every club in the bag just to give myself a rough idea of the distance I can expect from them. Hit the putting green after and tried to get into more of a rhythm and constant follow through, much more to be done in this area.

Went out for 9 holes after, the course for those that don't know it is certainly on the short side but was in really good shape. Overall i was pretty disappointed in how I played, couple of wayward drives, and although I gave myself puts for par on 8/9 I didn't convert a single one which was very frustrating. I think I'm striking my irons a lot more consistently than last week which is a plus.

Finished up with 14 points off 22. I really thought I would shoot better starting out but in hindsight there was certainly improvement however slight. I'm also not stupid enough to think that things will come together so quickly. Have made enquires about membership in Bray so hope to have things firmly in motion by early next week, which I think will be a big step. I was shocked how busy Leopardstown was today, there wasn't a yummy mummy worth her salt not there.

Hope to get something in tomorrow, maybe another 9 in Ballinascorney. Won't be doing anything Wednesday or Thursday so really want to get a good session in.

Comment

Just in from 9 in Ballinascorney, utter shit show nothing much to report. 3 times put myself in good positions off the tee only to fly the green and still three putting. 11 points off 22.

No golf now until Friday, which should let the skin on my thumb heal with any luck.

Comment

Post a vid of your swing

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                  Post a vid of your swing
                  Will get one in the next few days in the garden. As I said will be getting lessons in the coming weeks with any luck so will be slow enough to change anything major now but will throw up a video just to see what the general feeling is.

Comment

Hey,

I am a member in Bray if you need any advice? Keep up the good work anyway and you will see serious improvement in no time!

Comment

Interesting thread, best of luck with it!

I must try to get back into golf myself, serious punting potential.

Comment

Played 18 in Druids Heath with a wieful hangover on Saturday as a result of this. Had 22 points off 22 but didn't enjoy a second of the rounds. The course was very tough, hot and uphill. Couple of yards left or right off the tee and the ball was gone. Got horribly sunburnt which I only have myself to blame for.

Played another 9 in Blainroe yesterday afternoon, had to cover up the aforementioned burnt skin which wasn't very enjoyable. Actually felt I put a few shots together but didn't score well and tbh it was more a social round than anything.

Haven't forgotten about the swing vid, I'll get round to it this week, also looking in to a few lessons.

Still inconsistent. Still frustrated.

Comment

This game is driving me nuts,been playing off 17 for over a year now.joined a new club in April and have hit 38 points once and the rest pretty average.been off work this week so been playing loads,been to driving range,tweaking things etc and I'm playing worse than ever it's something I wanna get good at,is the best way to just take lessons Bd learn the correct method,I'm all self taught regards grip,set up,swing etc and know it's nothing like it should be according to YouTube.the professional grip I have tried but it don't feel natural to me so must be doing it slightly wrong,love the game but hating at the minute

Comment

I owe this a long update which I will get around to this weekend, been very quiet on the golf front the last three weeks with only four rounds as a result of holidays, graduations etc. Played Druids Glen yesterday though and this happened...

Comment

Keep this going if possible, could be real interesting.

Comment

Ok proper update time. As you can see from the tweet above I played in Druid's Glen last week as part of a society competition. It was the first time I've gone out and been confident lining up every shot. I ended up with a score of -1 on the Par 3's, but combined this with some terrible driving which meant holes were over before they began. Added to this after three pars in a row I whipped out my phone while waiting on another tee to see a lot a texts about MH17, I happen to be on that exact flight in 2 weeks (more of that later) so scratched the next 3 with my head all over the place. It was a bit of everything in the round but I couldn't have enjoyed it more, ended on 28 points only 3 away from scooping a visitors prize and won the closet to the pin with 18 inches.

I was in Villamoura for the week before this, and managed not to hit a single ball due to a lack of a playing partner despite canvassing the hotel reception to find me one, brownie points earned for not going missing for a day in fairness.

I'm just in from 18 in Charlesland in Greystones, after the horror show with the driver last week I only took it out once. Played 4 iron of most tees and felt in control, hitting most shots well, good direction etc. Lapses of concentration on a few greens cost me a good score. Finished on 28 points with 3 pars, 2 of which were on par 5's. I try to take something positive from each round and today it was this...

Plan for the rest of the week is hopefully 9 holes or the driving range tomorrow followed by 18 in Kilcock on Thursday. Said 18 being a guest of the SO's father just to heap on a bit of pressure.

So the explanation for taking MH17 in a few weeks is pretty simple. I just qualified as a Barrister after 5 years of study and this is the last summer I'll properly have free without money worries etc. A few friends are heading to Indonesia and twisted my arm, so I'm heading over for the month of August, which will mean no golf. I'd be an idiot not to go in fairness.

Finally an update of the club front. Met a member in Bray last week and all is good to go on that front but no point pulling the trigger and then heading away for a month, also the membership year runs from end of September/October so all lined up to join then.

I've never enjoyed my golf this much and am really looking forward to playing every weekend in club competitions etc. I really think the dream of 15 by next summer is still well doable.

Comment

Started playing a bit last year after a 20 year lay off and have gotten back into it a lot since. Joined Roganstown as an associate member and put in my 3 cards which should get me about 18 h/c. Suffering terribly from out to in swing which is resulting shots that start at the flag and then fade right. Have spent an obscene amount of money on gear. Good luck with it, I might start one myself!

Comment

I'm looking to start playing very regularly again around Dublin from the start of August, was down to a 13 handicapper as a teenager but would probably play to 18-ish now as haven't really played much last few years. Should definitely organise a few 4balls from here if anyone is keen.

Comment

Mickey from looking at your scoring. Your overall goal seems too high i think.
                                      You should be trying to get to 18-19 next summer and then kick on from there.
                                      Trying to drop 7 shots whilst struggling to break 30 points off a current handicap is far too unrealistic given your commitments off the course. You'd need to be getting lessons and playing twice a week to get near your current goal.

I asked you to post your swing and i think you should. If not, get a mate to video and watch it yourself. You learn so much by watching.

I have averaged about 3 games a month since may and that's the most golf I've played since i was about 23. I played off 7 between 18-22 and then commitments ruined me. Working 9-5 in town and trying to keep up golf is rough. I'm 29 now and I've only recently started scoring in the high 30s off 12 and now 11. It's just down to keeping a list of good swing thoughts together and using them on every shot.

My friend taped my swing and when i seen it i wasn't happy. My action is too fast to be sustainable and the amount of fidgeting i do sickens me when i watch. It really doesn't feel like that over the ball. Also my right hand is way to open in my grip and i'm compensating for that in my swing. When i don't, i push it out right. You'll learn a lot from the tape. Do it man.

Here's mine.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I completely forgot about the swing vid and don't want it said I don't deliver so ran out into the back garden and got this. Will get a proper one when I get a chance. Tbh it was a shock to see this on video and see how ungraceful it is. I can already pick out 10 things wrong with it myself and tbh wasn't sure if I'd post it but sure here goes

http://youtu.be/DqzNckaS30M

Silver-Tiger I completely appreciate what you say about the target but I put it on the far side of definitely achievable because it's what I do with every goal.

I know many on here will tear that swing apart and most likely rightly so, but just to note I fully intend on taking a lot of lesson with the Pro in Bray who I've only heard good things about when I join.

Comment

Sergio-Tiger more like!

Comment

@C-Kid a few fourballs sounds great, tbh I see no reason IPB couldn't have a society but that's a job for down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                              http://youtu.be/DqzNckaS30M

Silver-Tiger I completely appreciate what you say about the target but I put it on the far side of definitely achievable because it's what I do with every goal.
                                              You're a qualified barrister so i won't be disagreeing with you there man.

No-one will tear your swing apart btw. What good is that to anyone?

After a pro tidies up your grip and stance i bet the first thing he tries to do is straighten up your left arm on your backswing. It's your wrist that should lengthen your swing, not your elbow.
                                              You can't break it like you do. You must lose an awful lot of power and accuracy from it. Watch any pro and you won't find one that breaks their elbow in their backswing.
                                              Good tip on getting a head start on this is to get an empty 2 litre bottle, cut off both ends and place the remainder around your elbow. It will restrict you from doing this. It will feel weird as fcuk for a while but will open your swing up to being more fixable.

Comment

That's exactly the type of feedback I wanted, really appreciate it. It's the first thing I noticed when I watched it on the video too, will work on it.

Will try to post a video here every few months, slash do a montage to see progression.

Comment

Mickey from looking at your scoring. Your overall goal seems too high i think.
                                                  You should be trying to get to 18-19 next summer and then kick on from there.
                                                  Trying to drop 7 shots whilst struggling to break 30 points off a current handicap is far too unrealistic given your commitments off the course. You'd need to be getting lessons and playing twice a week to get near your current goal.

I asked you to post your swing and i think you should. If not, get a mate to video and watch it yourself. You learn so much by watching.

I have averaged about 3 games a month since may and that's the most golf I've played since i was about 23. I played off 7 between 18-22 and then commitments ruined me. Working 9-5 in town and trying to keep up golf is rough. I'm 29 now and I've only recently started scoring in the high 30s off 12 and now 11. It's just down to keeping a list of good swing thoughts together and using them on every shot.

My friend taped my swing and when i seen it i wasn't happy. My action is too fast to be sustainable and the amount of fidgeting i do sickens me when i watch. It really doesn't feel like that over the ball. Also my right hand is way to open in my grip and i'm compensating for that in my swing. When i don't, i push it out right. You'll learn a lot from the tape. Do it man.

Here's mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cexXHlCW8
                                                  Wouldn't worry too much about the fidgeting, it releases tension. You have a good shoulder to hip turn ratio, you are right about your grip, way too strong. I also thought your overall length of swing was too long, way past parallel. This is all imho of course.

Comment

@Silver-Tiger been working on that with the bottle etc all morning, haven't hit a ball just swinging. Actually feels much more natural to get more rotation into the swing. Still hope to get a quick 9 holes in tonight, will update if I do, thanks for the advice again.

Comment

Joined the society in the local pub, they only play once a month but it's better than the once a year I'm doing now. I haven't played since this time last year and the next society game is the end of the month. I could do with heading to the driving range before then but either way it should be interesting.

Comment

You're a qualified barrister so i won't be disagreeing with you there man.

No-one will tear your swing apart btw. What good is that to anyone?

After a pro tidies up your grip and stance i bet the first thing he tries to do is straighten up your left arm on your backswing. It's your wrist that should lengthen your swing, not your elbow.
                                                        You can't break it like you do. You must lose an awful lot of power and accuracy from it. Watch any pro and you won't find one that breaks their elbow in their backswing.
                                                        Good tip on getting a head start on this is to get an empty 2 litre bottle, cut off both ends and place the remainder around your elbow. It will restrict you from doing this. It will feel weird as fcuk for a while but will open your swing up to being more fixable.
                                                        Good advice Silver, I will get a mate to record my swing at the DR if I get there this week. Sorry for derailing your thread MR.

Comment

Didn't end up getting out on Wednesday evening but played 18 in Kilcock with the SO's father and his mates yesterday. Ended up with 26 points but should have broken the 30 grail in reality. Played very well over the front 12 including back to back pars, and was putting like a dream. Still a few duffed shots but decreasing all the time. Tried to incorporate the straight arms which Silver Tiger talked about don't know if I got it bang on but definitely an improvement.

To put it in context I hadn't had a par before Druid's Glen and now I'm confident of having at least 3 a round and increasing all the time. I need to make some time to get to the driving range so I can get comfortable with the driver because losing the 50-70 yards using an iron on the longer holes is certainly hurting.

One of the lads yesterday, while only playing off 17 decided to take it upon himself to critique and offer suggestions to everyone after every shot. When I told him after the 6th hole of this, in the politest way possible given the company, that although I knew I had things to work on I'd rather just play my own game I thought the problem was solved. Then hit a shot on the 8th fairway that although it didn't fly majestically did advance up the fairway 150 yards and left a chip into the green, his immediate questions "You mustn't play much do you?" I kept y head down, he finished with 21 points.

Hope to get another few games in over the weekened, whatever about the standard of my current play I've never enjoyed playing so much which can only bode well for commitment going forward. Enjoyed playing with the girlfriends dad though and we do get on very well so should get another few games from that direction.

Comment

Really cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting some lessons in. Going to the driving range and practicing is essentially worthless unless you have something to work on. Without lessons and something to work on, you are just grooving your mistakes and reinforcing bad technique.

Comment

Originally posted by SSP View Post
                                                              Really cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting some lessons in. Going to the driving range and practicing is essentially worthless unless you have something to work on. Without lessons and something to work on, you are just grooving your mistakes and reinforcing bad technique.
                                                              Agreed I've always said throughout this log I'm going to get lessons in September, between now and then I'm friends with and playing with some good golfers who are making sure I'm not being a total noob.

Comment

cool log,best of luck with it.
                                                                my sister was showing me a super free app while taking in a bit of golf in dunmore east last week. its from UBERSENSE.COM . its lets you slow your videos right down and completley analyse your swing from every point! even lets you put in line/circles to see where bodyparts should or shouldn't be going! super cool app!

Comment

Originally posted by underachievement View Post
                                                                  cool log,best of luck with it.
                                                                  my sister was showing me a super free app while taking in a bit of golf in dunmore east last week. its from UBERSENSE.COM . its lets you slow your videos right down and completley analyse your swing from every point! even lets you put in line/circles to see where bodyparts should or shouldn't be going! super cool app!
                                                                  Thanks for the heads up will defo check it out.

Comment

Played 9 holes in Ballinascorney this evening, had a few pints after so will keep this short. Drove like a dream never hit a ball so far in my life, putter was a bit off but there was no consistency in the greens. Had 14 points for the 9 holes, happy enough.

Comment

So it's time to revive this. I started this log with such great intentions and then got a job which resulted in no time for life let alone golf. A very kind person got me 4 lessons for christmas and I took the first of them up yesterday. The coach was extremely nice and made slight adjustments to my swing which I could instantly see the benefit of.

Ended up playing 18 in Delgany today and ended up with 26 points off 24. Having not played in over a year I was more than happy with that. I was carrying my clubs and for anyone that doesn't know the course it's built of the side of a mountain so was tired enough near the end.

The slight changes the pro made yesterday meant I could count on one hand the number of properly duffed shots and if I putted better I could have had a very tidy score.

He told me yesterday that with my swing, which he thought was decent, if I played consistently for a year with lessons I could have a tidy enough handicap.

Maybe this will be the year I keep it up through the winter...hopefully.

Comment

Well it's time to revive this again, I didn't play last winter but find myself again with great intentions I confidently say it's going to be this year I swear. So I got my three cards done in Bray over the past 2 weeks. Resulting in this:

I have played 81 holes since Sunday morning including one lesson. I'm not setting the world on fire but the shots are there imo. Played Glen of the Downs yesterday in an open competition, the front 9 was a horror show in the wind and rain but had 19 points on the back nine which I was very happy with.

I'm someone who loves data in anything I do, so I've started using game golf (https://www.gamegolf.com/) which will allow people to check in on my rounds and see shot by shot if your interested, but more importantly will be a very good record for myself. I'll link the rounds here as we go.

I'm playing this Saturday and most likely Sunday too so will check in with how that goes. They will be my first competitions in Bray with my own handicap and both are strokes.

This is going to be the year.

Comment

Well it's time to revive this again, I didn't play last winter but find myself again with great intentions I confidently say it's going to be this year I swear. So I got my three cards done in Bray over the past 2 weeks. Resulting in this:

I have played 81 holes since Sunday morning including one lesson. I'm not setting the world on fire but the shots are there imo. Played Glen of the Downs yesterday in an open competition, the front 9 was a horror show in the wind and rain but had 19 points on the back nine which I was very happy with.

I'm someone who loves data in anything I do, so I've started using game golf (https://www.gamegolf.com/) which will allow people to check in on my rounds and see shot by shot if your interested, but more importantly will be a very good record for myself. I'll link the rounds here as we go.

I'm playing this Saturday and most likely Sunday too so will check in with how that goes. They will be my first competitions in Bray with my own handicap and both are strokes.

This is going to be the year.
                                                                          If I was you I would play the Stableford competition on Sunday. That option is there for every medal. The Blue tees are very tough..... just a suggestion.

Comment

I've started playing. I've had 5 lessons from the Pro in Naas GC pretty expensive and very analytical, it's good but I'd say a lower handicap would find it more beneficial but no doubts my technique and ball striking has improved a lot.

I joined Dunmurray springs till the end of August, moving to Auckland then so figured it would be a good hobby to have while there, first card for the handicap finished with a 99 but that included 3 pars and 5 bogeys so capable of dropping a few shots soon I think.
                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 04-08-16, 09:34.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                              If I was you I would play the Stableford competition on Sunday. That option is there for every medal. The Blue tees are very tough..... just a suggestion.
                                                                              Didn't know that, great shout.

Comment

#40

That pretty much sums up the weekend. Two competitions in which I failed to get to the buffer zone of keeping the same handicap or the hallowed land of a cut. I'll write a longer post about both later in the week, but it was simply a case of a couple of bad holes in each round and not putting everything together on the other holes. Call me delusional but I fully believe the shots are there to make a cut score and get this cut started.

Off to practice on the range/pitching and putting green now with a another lesson tomorrow. Next competition is a 13 hole stableford on Wednesday.

I'm frustrated but in now way downhearted from the weekend.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  I had a look at your card there. Some good stuff on it and the consistency will come, just keep at it!

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I know it's the cliche but a quick way to get down the handicaps is your short game. You can truly get so many shots by sharpening up your pitching and 100 yards and in. If you ever think you have a few hours on your own hit the course up. Don't even play 18. Go to an outer hole and drop and bring 30-35 balls and just pitch for an hour. It's good practice - both technically and mentally. It always gave me confidence with my pitching that I knew that I practice a lot

I got down to a society 7 handicap/GUI 10 without ever having a great long game. I was generally long and wayward off the tee but you can always make a recovery shot from anywhere. Always try to stay relaxed on the course. If you hit a stinker of a shot, leave out a bollocks and forget about it.
                                                                                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                      Go to an outer hole and drop and bring 30-35 balls and just pitch for an hour.
                                                                                      Don't under any circumstances do this.

You are allowed play 2 balls on your own and that's it. There isn't a club in the country that allows someone hit 30-35 balls into a green. It would be wrecked in no time, that's what the practice area/range is for.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                        I had a look at your card there. Some good stuff on it and the consistency will come, just keep at it!
                                                                                        Cheers I really appreciate that. Yeah I trust that practice will show through, really enjoying the lessons too.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                          I know it's the cliche but a quick way to get down the handicaps is your short game. You can truly get so many shots by sharpening up your pitching and 100 yards and in. If you ever think you have a few hours on your own hit the course up. Don't even play 18. Go to an outer hole and drop and bring 30-35 balls and just pitch for an hour. It's good practice - both technically and mentally. It always gave me confidence with my pitching that I knew that I practice a lot

I got down to a society 7 handicap/GUI 10 without ever having a great long game. I was generally long and wayward off the tee but you can always make a recovery shot from anywhere. Always try to stay relaxed on the course. If you hit a stinker of a shot, leave out a bollocks and forget about it.
                                                                                          Thanks for the advice, I agree about the short game and have been picking a spot on the range with my 7-9 irons and trying to pick it out. Also working on my short pitch shots on the pitching green. As Eoghan says I don't think I'd last too long peppering any of the greens in Bray with 30 balls.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Swing Update - Very rough but another lesson this afternoon and then 13 hole comp after that, seeing the swing on video is very helpful I feel.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              I will get some proper multi angle range videos soon. Might also pick up one of these because I can't resist data/tech and can't afford a trackman...

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Just from that angle, your right arm is too stiff. It should be looser from the get-go. Left arm should be stiff/tight. Right arm should be looser.

More hip action probably needed too and the back and forward stroke.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                                  Just from that angle, your right arm is too stiff. It should be looser from the get-go. Left arm should be stiff/tight. Right arm should be looser.

More hip action probably needed too and the back and forward stroke.
                                                                                                  Thanks man. Just had a lesson tonight and you're bang on, feel like major strides were made in the lesson see I'll post an updated video soon. Incidentally I also played a 13 hold comp straight after the lesson. I played better in the main and was making great contacts with my irons and driver. Changed completely my putting stroke at the end of the lesson though so there was a lot of three putting.

Everything is very positive though.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    No golf today as it was Lady Captain's Prize Day in Bray. Hit the range yesterday and today and thought I was making great contacts with the ball. I had a P2 grip fitted to my putter yesterday too so between that and the new grip/action I've tried to spend a good portion of time each day on the putting green and I think I'm making small strides.

A brief look at the next two months is the following:

I am out of the country and probably away from golf clubs almost exclusively between the 16th of August and 7th of September. It's not ideal but this is the only time of year I can take holidays so needs must. I have plans to work on a number of things over this time which I can take care of away from the golf course which should aid on course (Some mental prep, course study, shot selection exercises and most importantly a goal list for the upcoming year).

I will try to play some level of golf tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday and will be practicing for sure on all three days so will update with my progress before I head away.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      No golf today as it was Lady Captain's Prize Day in Bray. Hit the range yesterday and today and thought I was making great contacts with the ball. I had a P2 grip fitted to my putter yesterday too so between that and the new grip/action I've tried to spend a good portion of time each day on the putting green and I think I'm making small strides.

A brief look at the next two months is the following:

I am out of the country and probably away from golf clubs almost exclusively between the 16th of August and 7th of September. It's not ideal but this is the only time of year I can take holidays so needs must. I have plans to work on a number of things over this time which I can take care of away from the golf course which should aid on course (Some mental prep, course study, shot selection exercises and most importantly a goal list for the upcoming year).

I will try to play some level of golf tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday and will be practicing for sure on all three days so will update with my progress before I head away.
                                                                                                      Keep updating here its good to follow. Took the game back up myself this summer after a good few years not playing, been working hard on my short game coz that's where I'm really suffering score wise. Spent 90mins today with a wedge and bag of balls in the local park, slowly getting the soft touch back!

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                                                                                                        Keep updating here its good to follow. Took the game back up myself this summer after a good few years not playing, been working hard on my short game coz that's where I'm really suffering score wise. Spent 90mins today with a wedge and bag of balls in the local park, slowly getting the soft touch back!
                                                                                                        Similar to me. Been playing my whole life but only getting back into it properly recently (when the long evenings are over though it'll be different ).

My short game was always dodgy but it's become more diverse recently and I'm mixing it up around the greens. Never played better in my life and most of it is down to my putting. Very simple little adjustments can make a world of difference in Golf. Some sport.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Off the waiting list and on to the time sheet at 7.40 am will throw a round report here at some point tomorrow.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            So up and out for 7.40 this morning after six hours sleep. Got to the course about 7.10 and got a good twenty minutes in on the putting green. I don't have a set putting warmup routine which I think will be helpful and is on the do list.

The competition was strokes off the blue tees. This was my first time off the blues and it's a different course with a few holes in particular becoming significantly more difficult off the back tees. The course plays 350 metres longer off the blues than whites.

Despite a par on the index one, 440 metres par 4, the front nine was one to utterly forget. Two lost balls off the tee due to simply trying to crush the ball off the longer tees made the card look very ugly. It was an extremely frustrating nine holes but I took solace from the fact that I never let the frustration boil over as I would have when I played a few years ago.

The back nine was a completely different story however and was easily the best golf I've played in my memory. I'm not going to break it down shot by shot but things finally started to come together. I ended up with gross 44 for the back nine which is a net two under par 34. Most importantly I think I left shots out there on the back nine, which made me even happier.

There is still so much to work on and most importantly I need to put it together for a full 18, but to play the back nine like that off the back tees had me walking off the course delighted.

I will most likely get a friendly round in tomorrow morning hopefully somewhere local but not Bray and will update here after that.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Old Conna booked for 7.40am, serious value to be had.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                I have utterly failed in this log over the past two years, but here we go again.

Played Portmarnock (the Hotel course, not the real one) in the wind last week and ended up with 20 points. Given it was my first time swinging a club since September and the competition was won with 29 points I wasn't too disheartened. I couldn't reach any of the par 4 greens in two shots into the wind which made the course very attritional.

Yesterday I was planning on just going to the driving range but got a call asking me to play Druid's Glen in the afternoon for €35. Given the weather, we have had the course was in amazing condition. This may sound exaggerated when I post the actual score but it was my best and favourite round of golf I have ever played. Two pars and I scored on 13 out of the 18 holes for 24 points. I've never felt so confident over golf shots for whatever reason. I stopped trying to murder the ball on the downswing and while I've probably lost 10 yards I'm making better contacts nearly every time. With practice, I have no doubt I can start shooting consistently in the 30s.

I've been invited into a friendly society which will mean rounds in Mount Juliet and Powerscourt in the next few months. Next weekend I'm playing Doonbeg and Dromoland with some old friends which I'm really looking forward too. The plan is to try to play two competitions a month at least in Bray for the coming months.

I've also been getting a lot fitter and doing a gym programme for the last while so while I don't expect it to make me in a single handicap golfer it should hopefully help.

A more modest aim for this year: Sub 18 before the end of September.

I know I always come on here positive and it goes nowhere but let's see.

Handicap as at 15th April 2018: 20.3

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  I have utterly failed in this log over the past two years, but here we go again.

Played Portmarnock (the Hotel course, not the real one) in the wind last week and ended up with 20 points. Given it was my first time swinging a club since September and the competition was won with 29 points I wasn't too disheartened. I couldn't reach any of the par 4 greens in two shots into the wind which made the course very attritional.

Yesterday I was planning on just going to the driving range but got a call asking me to play Druid's Glen in the afternoon for €35. Given the weather, we have had the course was in amazing condition. This may sound exaggerated when I post the actual score but it was my best and favourite round of golf I have ever played. Two pars and I scored on 13 out of the 18 holes for 24 points. I've never felt so confident over golf shots for whatever reason. I stopped trying to murder the ball on the downswing and while I've probably lost 10 yards I'm making better contacts nearly every time. With practice, I have no doubt I can start shooting consistently in the 30s.

I've been invited into a friendly society which will mean rounds in Mount Juliet and Powerscourt in the next few months. Next weekend I'm playing Doonbeg and Dromoland with some old friends which I'm really looking forward too. The plan is to try to play two competitions a month at least in Bray for the coming months.

I've also been getting a lot fitter and doing a gym programme for the last while so while I don't expect it to make me in a single handicap golfer it should hopefully help.

A more modest aim for this year: Sub 18 before the end of September.

I know I always come on here positive and it goes nowhere but let's see.

Handicap as at 15th April 2018: 20.3

Good luck will follow the thread. Must dust off the clubs soon myself.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                  X