Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 12-01-20, 09:38   #761
Goodluck2me

Trying to keep up my 100km January and went for a run whilst out in Chicago during the week as I was told a run along the lake was pretty spectacular. Went out at 6am and knew it was due to be about 3-4C, but for whatever reason I couldn’t get warm in my shorts and T-shirt. Got back to the hotel after a 5km, and checked, it was actually -9! It will definitely be the coldest I ever run in !

Last edited by Goodluck2me; 13-01-20 at 15:59.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 12-01-20, 11:07   #762
dobby

Cheers for that. Was hoping that wasnt the case. Will just go back to what I've been doing for 6 years and keep my phone with me bloody women
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-01-20, 11:17   #763
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
I was told by someone that takes cycling seriously the difference between a Ä1k bike and a Ä5k bike is about half a water bottle in weight! Went for the Ä1k one then!
In this case it's probably a bit more than that but that's mostly because the other bike has disc brakes, which are heavier but excellent. The science apparently says the aerodynamics of the frame are a good bit more important than the weight and as it happens an aero frame actually tends to weigh more than a regular one - more material to make the funny shaped tubes.

Nevertheless I suspect what you are getting at is 100% true in that there's absolutely no need for a plodder like me to be pricking around with a superbike and nothing is going to make the difference that losing half a stone of Christmas bloat will!
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-01-20, 17:01   #764
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
Need some tech help please.

Have avoided getting a Fitbit up to now as I dont see the point in them when strava does all the same stuff with zero hassle and I have my phone on me 99% of the time.

So, the missus arrived home during the week with a poxy Fitbit cos shes on a health kick and thinks its class. Anyway, I'm just in from my run and, stupidly, didnt bring my phone to record it to strava.

If you're still with me. My question is, how do I get the run to show up on my strava cos I dont want to tell her it's a load of bollox after she spent money on it. Thanks.

I can see it in the Fitbit app but that's no good for me. Myself and a few lads have everything set up on strava so we can keep an eye on each other and give a bit of encouragement etc etc.
Shit, sorry. I told you it would sync. Bit ridiculous that it doesn't.

Ask the missus would she mind you swapping it for a Garmin.
Old 12-01-20, 17:36   #765
dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Shit, sorry. I told you it would sync. Bit ridiculous that it doesn't.

Ask the missus would she mind you swapping it for a Garmin.
Ah no, obvs not your fault

I went with the aul chestnut of telling her it's my fault, I'm technophobe and an idiot, the piece of kit is perfect etc etc but I just dont think its for me. She said she will try and return it and if she cant I'll just pay her so shes not out of pocket and it will get thrown in "the press".

Anyway, back onto strava today with the phone and a slow and steady 10k in 58minutes. Feel good after it especially since I was out last night and started drinking cans when I got home to watch the NFL so very happy to even get out
2 Thanks From:
Old 12-01-20, 17:54   #766
dobby

@Goodluck2me, I see you got a hike around Lough Tay in this morning. I've wanted to do it for ages but have never done the route so slightly reluctant to head down, its almost an hour away from me.

Is there a trail to follow right the way round? I'd be going alone so if there's a trail or railway sleepers to follow, it would be ideal.
Old 13-01-20, 13:09   #767
dobby

Boredom is a terrible thing.

Having a look for races online and what not. Find out theres a 10k up in the Gap Of Dunloe, just outside Killarney, the same weekend I am there for a GAA match. Race at 9am, match on the afternoon.

I immediately regret this decision but signed up for it now with a mate so will do it anyway.
Thanks From:
Old 13-01-20, 15:50   #768
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
@Goodluck2me, I see you got a hike around Lough Tay in this morning. I've wanted to do it for ages but have never done the route so slightly reluctant to head down, its almost an hour away from me.

Is there a trail to follow right the way round? I'd be going alone so if there's a trail or railway sleepers to follow, it would be ideal.
Yeah there is a well worn track all the way up to the top which is 3.7km up, we then went back a different way which is less obvious, with people who knew where they were going, even then the river crossing near the end was flooded so we lifted the trousers and braved the cold water. Itís stunning scenery though and well worth it, even for the summit and back the same way.
Bring boots if possible as itís quite mucky, I wore runners and slipped a good bit.
Thanks From:
Old 13-01-20, 15:52   #769
Goodluck2me

Getting obsessed with the new HRM, very interested to see I ran 22mins for a park run PB a few weeks back at 150 average, went out on Saturday with a touch of jet lag and ran 24mins at 165 average. Was truly shattered after it.
Will definitely make more use of it going forward I think.
Old 17-01-20, 12:19   #770
Strewelpeter

Phisyo advice wanted

Went over on my ankle last night and it feels like it's ever so slightly sprained. No real swelling but maybe showing a hint of bruising on the inside , on a scale of 1 to 10 it feels about 1.5 when I'm resting and 2 when I walk on it

Didn't ice it but I did elevate it, rest a bit, put on a compression sock and took an anti inflammatory tablet (more for my shoulder which was already in trouble before I landed on it) last night.
I want to be able to run again by Monday but the question is whether I would be better resting or going for a walk today?
Old 17-01-20, 12:52   #771
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Based purely on guesswork, surely resting?
2 Thanks From:
Old 17-01-20, 14:44   #772
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

@Laz - what sort of time commitment would you be looking at to get gait analysis and order a pair of runners in that Amphibian King place?
Old 17-01-20, 14:47   #773
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Also, what would be the most accessible parkrun from the middle of Ranelagh village could anyone tell me? Thought there would be one in Herbert Park but doesn't seem to be.
Old 17-01-20, 14:47   #774
Solksjaer!

Might watch for a change .

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/51107844
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 17-01-20, 17:39   #775
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
@Laz - what sort of time commitment would you be looking at to get gait analysis and order a pair of runners in that Amphibian King place?
About 30 mins or so. They can be busy on Saturdays you could possibly add 10 mins on to that. Well worth it.
Old 17-01-20, 17:40   #776
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Also, what would be the most accessible parkrun from the middle of Ranelagh village could anyone tell me? Thought there would be one in Herbert Park but doesn't seem to be.
I would think Bushy Park would be the closest. Marlay gets great numbers.
Old 17-01-20, 17:44   #777
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Based purely on guesswork, surely resting?
Yeah, I agree. The whole RICE thing has been debunked. Personally I think it's best to let the body repair it, with bruising and/or swelling. Resting until there's zero pain.
Old 17-01-20, 17:45   #778
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
Getting obsessed with the new HRM, very interested to see I ran 22mins for a park run PB a few weeks back at 150 average, went out on Saturday with a touch of jet lag and ran 24mins at 165 average. Was truly shattered after it.
Will definitely make more use of it going forward I think.
Me too. Are you getting any tests done to get your max?
Old 17-01-20, 17:52   #779
Solksjaer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
Phisyo advice wanted

Went over on my ankle last night and it feels like it's ever so slightly sprained. No real swelling but maybe showing a hint of bruising on the inside , on a scale of 1 to 10 it feels about 1.5 when I'm resting and 2 when I walk on it

Didn't ice it but I did elevate it, rest a bit, put on a compression sock and took an anti inflammatory tablet (more for my shoulder which was already in trouble before I landed on it) last night.
I want to be able to run again by Monday but the question is whether I would be better resting or going for a walk today?
Shocked you don't know the answer to this .
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 18:01   #780
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
About 30 mins or so. They can be busy on Saturdays you could possibly add 10 mins on to that. Well worth it.
How much are you looking at for a pair of runners?
Presume the do the analysis in both stores?

Last edited by Keane; 17-01-20 at 18:04.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games