Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 29-06-12, 14:55   #1
ibimon

Opinions on Collin Moshman's SnG book

Hi.

I recently read the book and tried his strategy and guidelines.
I did not profit in a single Low stakes SnG using his tactics, in fact I lost 4 buy-ins in a row,
which completely put me off his strategy guides.
His pot odds and EV assumptions make you committed into the pot, although he says
himself that you are never to be pot committed.

I just wanted to know other people's opinions and if they have been successful using his guidelines.

Maybe it could be a matter of variance for me, but I am not clearly sure.
ibimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 15:18   #2
eamonhonda

If your multitabling sngs expect to go on a lot bigger downswings than 4 ganes
eamonhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-06-12, 15:20   #3
Donkathon
On a Quest.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonhonda View Post
If your multitabling sngs expect to go on a lot bigger downswings than 4 ganes
this I've went on 30+ of the 180 mans without a cash
Donkathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 15:43   #4
ibimon

Yeah.

I forgot to mention, that i was multitabling.
I guess I will stick to my usual play-style and strategy.
Old 29-06-12, 20:24   #5
RasTa

What did you expect tho happen after reading his book
Old 29-06-12, 21:35   #6
jazzyfish

of course his guide line s work collin is a top turbo sit and go coach from cardrunners
jazzyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 21:40   #7
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Translyvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame, Yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyfish View Post
of course his guide line s work collin is a top turbo sit and go coach from cardrunners
Then how come the OP lost 4 buy-ins in a row?
Seems fairly damning evidence that Moshman doesn't work.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 22:22   #8
tipp86
LifeNit

4 buy ins ha. Add a 0 and i may start listening.
Old 30-06-12, 11:26   #9
BrianByrne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp86 View Post
4 buy ins ha. Add 2 0s and i may start listening.
FYP
Old 02-07-12, 16:15   #10
ibimon

Hi.

The reason I read his book, was because I wanted to move up in stakes.

After further testing and experimenting, I personally came to conclusion that his strategy does work, if you only play 2 tables max and pay attention to every player.

In my opinion once you open 4+ tables, your evaluation of players diminishes, and thus making your decision making to run along with his strategy futile, because it requires precise attention and evaluation of every move, and give time to every decision to call, fold or raise.

Obviously you can apply complex decision making and evaluation to any poker strategy, but Moshman's strategy is all based on that with a different "spice mix" and cherry on top.
Old 02-07-12, 16:49   #11
jazzyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimon View Post
Hi.

The reason I read his book, was because I wanted to move up in stakes.

After further testing and experimenting, I personally came to conclusion that his strategy does work, if you only play 2 tables max and pay attention to every player.

In my opinion once you open 4+ tables, your evaluation of players diminishes, and thus making your decision making to run along with his strategy futile, because it requires precise attention and evaluation of every move, and give time to every decision to call, fold or raise.

Obviously you can apply complex decision making and evaluation to any poker strategy, but Moshman's strategy is all based on that with a different "spice mix" and cherry on top.
it comes down to pratice i {disagree} to move up in stakes you have to be able for the swings there for playing 12 + tables will help you with this you need to increase your win rate there for the more tables you play per hour the more your win rate will go up im not an sit and go expert but i do no a bit about it im sure laois hammer will help you with this and he can explain more as he grinds these for a living it seems like you have a lot to learn about shoving ranges and calling ranges and icm a nash chart will help you for your shoving ranges the best thing i would advise if you really want to play these full time is join a training site
Old 02-07-12, 17:33   #12
Hectorjelly

Can you give an example of hand that you played according to his strategy? I've never read his book, but from the OP it looks like you might have misunderstood some of what he said.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 17:35   #13
jazzyfish

forgot to ask are you playing these without holdem manger
Old 02-07-12, 17:37   #14
jazzyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
Then how come the OP lost 4 buy-ins in a row?
Seems fairly damning evidence that Moshman doesn't work.
lol is this a joke
Old 03-07-12, 16:05   #15
ibimon

Quote:
forgot to ask are you playing these without holdem manger
Hi.

I only play weekends and some evenings when I have some free time, that's why I never invested into any tracking software.For me poker is challenge rather than a way of income, every time I build my bankroll by about 300-400% i usually withdraw and don't play for a couple of months.

Saying this, I did install a trial last night, and I must say I like it a lot. I can see how it will fit into his strategy, looking to try out their leak buster app as well.

Also the reason I started reading more strategy guides and books is because I used to play on Russian sites, where gamester is quiet different than other communities.

Also thank you for all the advice everyone, and please don't turn this thread into a zoo.
If you read the question in the my post, I asked for opinions and gave my own.
Old 03-07-12, 16:05   #16
Laois Hammer
Irish Iron

Quote:
im sure laois hammer will help you with this and he can explain more as he grinds these for a living
not anymore

dont know anything about moshmans sng strategy but i watched a video his wife/girlfriend done on 180s and it was simply bad advice for how reggy that game has got and i doubt either of them would have much success in 180s.

i guess his sng strat might depend on what site your playing on, doubt it would have much edge over the guys on stars who have grinded sng wiz and mass table them because i think the books out ages? so its not wrote to exploit these guys id assume
Old 03-07-12, 16:06   #17
Laois Hammer
Irish Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimon View Post
Saying this, I did install a trial last night, and I must say I like it a lot. I can see how it will fit into his strategy, looking to try out their leak buster app as well.
can you give a few cliff notes on what he says in the book / what the strategy is?
Old 03-07-12, 16:08   #18
ibimon

Quote:
it comes down to pratice i {disagree} to move up in stakes you have to be able for the swings there for playing 12 + tables will help you with this you need to increase your win rate there for the more tables you play per hour the more your win rate will go up im not an sit and go expert but i do no a bit about it im sure laois hammer will help you with this and he can explain more as he grinds these for a living it seems like you have a lot to learn about shoving ranges and calling ranges and icm a nash chart will help you for your shoving ranges the best thing i would advise if you really want to play these full time is join a training site
Going to take advice from one of the posters and use Holdem manager, I have already set it up, but only tested it in 'play money games'.
Just need to get used to analyzing the data fast, so i can move into multitable with it.
Old 03-07-12, 16:16   #19
ibimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Hammer View Post
can you give a few cliff notes on what he says in the book / what the strategy is?
I'm in work now, but from the top of my head I remember a part where he says that you should continue to call small bets on mid pair, even if there's a possibility/ or you know that your opponent has already hit a top pair. This is done for a possibility to improve on the river.
The way i seen it happen to me was: I put 1bb pre flop, then 1-2 BB call to see the turn, then another 1-2 bb to see the river, and then 1 BB to see the cards. That's 4-6 bb. It's not something I would normally do, but also IMO this is pot commitment.

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker