Practice what you preach to become gangsta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice what you preach to become gangsta

ok so i need to get my finger out and give this a go. Its no use me preaching from the high heavens about health and fitness if I cant do it myself. the starting point of phase 1 was yesterday and the end point will be christmas day.

The call to action was because I hurt my back and then blew out my hamstring this year so training took a hit which I used as an excuse to eat like a motha fcuka. I am now a fat bas***d.

I have a couple of prop bets riding on this with the conditions being that I have to lose 2 stone (12.7kg) in 2 months. My back is still hurt so I cant do much weights (making this harder) so my diet needs to be clean as a whistle. This log will also be shown to people that ask me for help regarding weight loss - I think if someone has been through the same then their advice means so much more.

I'll try to update this every friday

current stats

Height 1.77m (5ft 9 1/2)
    Weight 96kg (15st 1.6lb)
    target weight (for phase 1) 83.3kg (13st 1lb)
    body fat 23.66%
    waist measure 37 inches

thats it I guess. gogogo me
    Last edited by Bubbleking; 26-10-10, 14:48.

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
    ok so i need to get my finger out and give this a go. Its no use me preeching from the high heavens about health and fitness if I cant do it myself. the starting point of phase 1 was yesterday and the end point will be christmas day.

The call to action was because I hurt my back and then blew out my hamstring this year so training took a hit which I used as an excuse to eat like a motha fcuka. I am now a fat bas***d.

I have a couple of prop bets riding on this with the conditions being that I have to lose 2 stone (12.7kg) in 2 months. My back is still hurt so I cant do much weights (making this harder) so my diet needs to be clean as a whistle. This log will also be shown to people that ask me for help regarding weight loss - I think if someone has been through the same then their advice means so much more.

I'll try to update this every friday

current stats

Height 1.77m
    Weight 96kg
    target weight (for phase 1) 83.3kg
    body fat il get it taken later

thats it I guess. gogogo me
    Stones and inches please. :-)

not being a grammar nazi but I think you'd created a new word.

Preeches - to lecture someone in a high pitched annoying voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
      Stones and inches please. :-)

not being a grammar nazi but I think you'd created a new word.

Preeches - to lecture someone in a high pitched annoying voice.
      Done

also If a mod could change the thread title please that would be great

Comment

Jesus I am 5'8"/10.5 stone and I could never imagine hitting 15 stone. No offence intended. My intentions for the winter are to eat like a pig and lift everything in sight once my busted toe and back are sorted - should be 3-4 weeks.

Realistically and not trying to derail the thread, how long would it take me to reach 12 stone while basically following the starting strength program based on 3 sessions per week? I know it's kind of arbitrary for me to say 12 stone as I physically/genetically might not be able to reach it that easy, take it that I have little previous experience, am quite lean and I won't be at anything else either, as team sports and 5 a side are off the menu for the next few months.

Comment

Shouldn't b overly hard to put on a stone and a half in 8 weeks or so! You'll need to eat like a monster and be lifting progressively heavier workout on workout and you will put on fat!

Doest neccessarily matter what you eat either as long as your getting the calories!
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Shouldn't b overly hard to put on a stone and a half in 8 weeks or so! You'll need to eat like a monster and be lifting progressively heavier workout on workout and you will put on fat!

Doest neccessarily matter what you eat either as long as your getting the calories!
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Coilcam - Milk!

Stronglifts helps you get stronger, build muscle and improve your fitness. Discover our training program, exercise guides and weightlifting app.

Comment

Good luck with this BK.

I gave up on my log because I stopped doing any work, but I've actually been doing really well lately so I might resurrect it.

Comment

Best of luck with this BK.

Any chance of a waist measurement? Also, what happened your back? I feel your pain at the mo

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                    lol I remember reading something like this recently and linking my cousin to it. Yet he went and bought €100 quid of supplements/weight gain crap which is still sitting on his shelf in the bedroom - this is nothing got to do with the fact that he botched a backflip off a flight of steps and snapped his collarbone 6 weeks ago while polluted.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I wouldn't mind the fat so much as I come from a very skinny background(both sides of family) in general, I could do with a bit admittedly.
                    Last edited by coillcam; 26-10-10, 12:32.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                      Jesus I am 5'8"/10.5 stone and I could never imagine hitting 15 stone. No offence intended. My intentions for the winter are to eat like a pig and lift everything in sight once my busted toe and back are sorted - should be 3-4 weeks.

Realistically and not trying to derail the thread, how long would it take me to reach 12 stone while basically following the starting strength program based on 3 sessions per week? I know it's kind of arbitrary for me to say 12 stone as I physically/genetically might not be able to reach it that easy, take it that I have little previous experience, am quite lean and I won't be at anything else either, as team sports and 5 a side are off the menu for the next few months.
                      Firstly, start a log when you're good to go please

how long would it take me to reach 12 stone while basically following the starting strength program based on 3 sessions per week?
                      Seriously depends on how much you eat. As Emmet said, milk is the key. It will be your new best friend. 2-4 litres a day if possible.

I know it's kind of arbitrary for me to say 12 stone as I physically/genetically might not be able to reach it that easy, take it that I have little previous experience, am quite lean and I won't be at anything else either, as team sports and 5 a side are off the menu for the next few months
                      The genetics argument is absolute bs for 99.99% of the population. The fact you have little experience will be a big plus. You'll make big gains in strength and size very quickly once you eat enough. The fact that you cant do team sports is another plus. Forget about cardio whilst doing starting strength. Do not be afraid of putting on fat. This is unavoidable. It can easily be lost when you reach a size you're happy with.

Here's my favourite article on eating for size:
                      Originally posted by Dave Tate
                      There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldn’t gain weight to save my fucking life.

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like fucking magic. He’d go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

“You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I’ll fill you in.”

Now remember, we’re at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious shit if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

“For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don’t care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that shit down and eat. That’s your breakfast.”

At this point I’m thinking this guy is nuts. But he’s completely serious.

“For lunch you’re gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don’t want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG bullshit. I don’t care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can’t let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter.”

“For dinner you’re gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don’t like sardines, don’t put ’em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it.”

“Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals.”

This guy is in a zen-like state when he’s talking about this.

“Now you’re on the clock,” he continues. “After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you’re full. Don’t listen to that shit. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I’m telling you now, you’re going to get three or four pieces in and you’re gonna want to quit. You fucking can’t quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you can’t finish it, don’t you ever come back to me and tell me you can’t gain weight. ’Cause I’m gonna tell you that you don’t give a fuck about getting bigger and you don’t care how much you lift!”

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn’t get much fatter. One of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life, though.

Sorry BK for derailing the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                        Best of luck with this BK.

Any chance of a waist measurement? Also, what happened your back? I feel your pain at the mo
                        Thanks

Iv updated now to include body fat and waist measure both of which are very embarressing

hurt my back by getting distracted while deadlifting which was preventable and stupid
                        Last edited by Bubbleking; 26-10-10, 14:57.

Comment

Thanks

Iv updated now to include body fat and waist measure both of which are very embarressing

hurt my back by getting distracted while deadlifting which was preventable and stupid
                          Not embarrassing at all. My waist was close to that a few weeks ago. It's still not far off it My back went on squats so know exactly how you feel. So frustrating.

Comment

I wouldn't mind the fat so much as I come from a very skinny background(both sides of family) in general, I could do with a bit admittedly.
                            Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                            The genetics argument is absolute bs for 99.99% of the population.
                            Agree on the genetics being bs for most people. Some people do have a freakish natural ability to bulk up.

But for the msot part, skinny/musclely/fat families are mostly due to diet and lifestyle. You eat the same, you live the same you look the same etc.

coillcam, start a log. I find it much easier to be consistant when I have to write every session down. Be it here every session, or in a notebook witha weekly round up here.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

BK, what sort of odds did you get with the prop bet?
                            i think it'll be won or lost in the kitchen tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Agree on the genetics being bs for most people. Some people do have a freakish natural ability to bulk up.

But for the msot part, skinny/musclely/fat families are mostly due to diet and lifestyle. You eat the same, you live the same you look the same etc.

coillcam, start a log. I find it much easier to be consistant when I have to write every session down. Be it here every session, or in a notebook witha weekly round up here.
                              I definitely will be doing a log, plus I am trying to weasel some sort of advantageous prop bet off one of my mates who has been lifting on/off for a few years. He keeps telling me I won't stick with it. I have to wait a month before I can start as I was told anyway by my cousin (physio) when twinged my back lifting stuff at work recently.

Best of luck to BK also.

Comment

current stats

Height 1.77m (5ft 9 1/2)
                                Weight 96kg (15st 1.6lb)
                                target weight (for phase 1) 83.3kg (13st 1lb)
                                body fat 23.66%
                                waist measure 37 inches
                                Man our stats are so fcking similar, plus i hurt my back taking the milk out of the fridge yesterday.

Height 1.78m
                                Weight 98kg
                                body fat Not sure, 142mm's i think
                                waist measure 36 inches

I'll be dropping down a weight category for my next BJJ competition in Jan but thats only 7kg's. Good luck with it, looking forward to reading your progress.
                                Last edited by TomD; 27-10-10, 09:48.

Comment

Update week 1

ok well this has been a good start. My diet has been good and Im finally (touch wood) over the hammer injury so I can go back doing interval training. All I did this week was running on monday and wednesday (30 minutes easy) and eat healthy.

current weight stands at 93.5kg which equals to a 5 day loss of 2.5kg. that seems like an awful lot but the first couple of Kg are always the easiest to get off due to water weight etc

I also got my speed and power tested this morning (helping a lad with a study)

5m time = 1.19 (needs to be closer to 1 but dont know how I'll get there if I cant do weights)

20m time = 3.35 (needs to be closer to 3 - sub 3 is lightning quick)

well thats it not much to report really weight going in the right direction so just need to keep it up

Comment

GL with this Bk.

What's a typical days healthy diet for this. Can you give a run down from breakfast-supper.
                                    Last edited by The Situation; 29-10-10, 10:48.
                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekop Dog View Post
                                      GL with this Bk.

What's a typical days healthy diet for this. Can you give a run down from breakfast-supper.
                                      thanks man. heres just a quick example - its pretty boring

Breakfast 8am; bowl of porridge

11am - piece of fruit usually an apple

1pm - lunch (salad with chicken/ham/tuna/tomatoes/lettuce/spring onion/ peppers etc) I dont usually get dressings unless its a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. might have a bowl of soup too if Im hungry

3pm - small tin of tuna

6pm dinner - lots of chicken/fish/chops/steak with a nice bit of veg and little to no spuds/pasta or rice

8pm if hungry a piece of fruit.

basically Im eating small every couple of hours to keep the metabolism ticking over and watching my portion size too. I do my best to count the exact calories but end up estimating them most of the time

Comment

Week 2 Update

Starting weight= 96kg
                                        Current weight = 91.8kg
                                        weekly weight loss = 1.7kg
                                        Total weight loss = 4.2kg
                                        Weight to go = 8.5kg

Ok well Im still on the right track. Its fair to say that all the easy weight has shifted now so from here on in I will be happy with a little over 1kg a week. Im very happy with this weeks progress considering I was out 3 nights (didnt drink) for gf's grad. I only had desert on one of the nights - I find it hard to resist Banoffee

On the training side of things I still cant lift weights but Iv found a good alternative. Interval training or "suicide runs"

Monday
                                        30 minute run at a moderate pace followed by interval runs to exhaustion. 1 minute on followed by a minutes rest and repeat. This was done at about 75% of max speed as I just wanted to test out the hammer before going flat out

Wed, thursday and friday
                                        interval runs

- run 100m as fast as possible (averaging 14s at the start to near 20 at the end)
                                        -20 secs recovery
                                        -go again
                                        -4 reps
                                        -3 mins break
                                        -3 sets

so overall its 12 100m sprints which might not seem like a lot but long runs bore me and I cant lift weights

anyway I puked on wed and thursday but I held it down today so hopefully thats progress

Comment

Starting weight= 96kg
                                          Current weight = 91.8kg
                                          weekly weight loss = 1.7kg
                                          Total weight loss = 4.2kg
                                          Weight to go = 8.5kg

Ok well Im still on the right track. Its fair to say that all the easy weight has shifted now so from here on in I will be happy with a little over 1kg a week. Im very happy with this weeks progress considering I was out 3 nights (didnt drink) for gf's grad. I only had desert on one of the nights - I find it hard to resist Banoffee

On the training side of things I still cant lift weights but Iv found a good alternative. Interval training or "suicide runs"

Monday
                                          30 minute run at a moderate pace followed by interval runs to exhaustion. 1 minute on followed by a minutes rest and repeat. This was done at about 75% of max speed as I just wanted to test out the hammer before going flat out

Wed, thursday and friday
                                          interval runs

- run 100m as fast as possible (averaging 14s at the start to near 20 at the end)
                                          -20 secs recovery
                                          -go again
                                          -4 reps
                                          -3 mins break
                                          -3 sets

so overall its 12 100m sprints which might not seem like a lot but long runs bore me and I cant lift weights

anyway I puked on wed and thursday but I held it down today so hopefully thats progress
                                          Up them interval runs to 400m and enjoy the pain

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                            how many 400 reps would you recommend? Im doing 400m in each set anyway its just broken down?

Comment

how many 400 reps would you recommend? Im doing 400m in each set anyway its just broken down?
                                              I would normally do 6 or 7 perhaps start off with 3/4 and increase the number of sets then the distance if you are able to. My normal intervals are now 4/5 sets of 800 mtrs and then rest 2 mins in between.

Edit; I run the intervals at zone 4 heart rate which for me is about 170 to 180
                                              Last edited by Jackyback; 05-11-10, 15:09.

Comment

week 3 update

Starting weight= 96kg
                                                Current weight = 90.8kg
                                                weekly weight loss = 1kg
                                                Total weight loss = 5.2kg
                                                Weight to go = 7.5kg

ok well still making steady progress. This wasnt a great week tbf diet wise and I think that shows when I only lost 1kg. Its not that I havnt been eating healthy its just that Iv been eating too many carbs and too much in general. I think there was 3/7 days where I prob didnt have a defecit at all.

Training
                                                Monday and friday

interval runs

-20 secs recovery
                                                -go again
                                                -4 reps
                                                -3 mins break
                                                -3 sets

Im also starting boxing tonight hopefully which should be fun

Wednesday

400m run
                                                rest

run and rest was 1:1 therefore if I ran the 400m in 1 minute Id get 1 minutes rest. Did that 5 times and nearly passed out on the last one

still cant lift weights for another 4/5 weeks

SO notes from the week -

1. eat smaller portions
                                                2. stay off the booze at IPB game (im doing good)
                                                3. training is going well - up the sets of my runs next week
                                                4. stay focused

Comment

1. eat smaller portions
                                                  2. stay off the booze at IPB game (im doing good)
                                                  3. training is going well - up the sets of my runs next week
                                                  4. stay focused
                                                  hhhmmmmmmm

Keep up the good work BK. I have to get round to doing something similar to this to add some motivation as just fuck around otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                                    I agree with upping the interval training. It's a well known fact that shorter bursts of interval training are more efficient. I did a six week interval program as part of a cutting phase during the summer and dropped 10kg(combined with diet)

40 second sprints followed by 40 second rests for 15 mins will leave the body will no choice....adjust for gtfo!
                                                    NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

week 4 update

Starting weight= 96kg
                                                      Current weight = 89.5kg
                                                      weekly weight loss = 1.3kg
                                                      Total weight loss = 6.5kg
                                                      Weight to go = 6.2kg

very happy with this week had to work extra hard because I was so indiscipline last weekend. iv been running every day and really watching what I eat. Im nearly half way there and well on track for "2 stone in 2 months".

Hamstring still isnt 100% and during one of my sprints it reminded me it was still there by tweaking a small bit but I should be ok. 3 more weeks with no weights - cant wait to get back into them tbh
                                                      Last edited by Bubbleking; 20-11-10, 14:07. Reason: come down off epic friday buzz

Comment

Great progress BK,

Comment

OK need to revive this bad boy before I become dangerously overweight. I dunno why I stopped posting in the last log but I got down to 85kg before I got lazy and slipped to my old habbits - lost the prop bet.

Cause for alarm has come when I no longer can fit in the majority of my clothes and Im getting destroyed at football training by people I used to be able to ghost by. Really brought it home when I was asked "what the fuck had I done to myself"

Very depressed after getting off the scales this morning - Im moving out of Dublin at the start of Sept but Iv joined Northwood on a short term deal - it really is shit or bust this time. Iv used the excuse of injuries to stop me getting back to my full fitness for the last 18 months but I feel that if I dont do it this time Im destined for a life as a fat bastard which is a scary thought

Current Stats

Height 1.77m (5ft 9 1/2)
                                                          Weight 98.5kg (15st 7.6lb)
                                                          target weight 76.2kg (12st)
                                                          body fat 26.66%
                                                          waist measure 38 inches

really is depressing stuff

Comment

OK need to revive this bad boy before I become dangerously overweight. I dunno why I stopped posting in the last log but I got down to 85kg before I got lazy and slipped to my old habbits - lost the prop bet.

Cause for alarm has come when I no longer can fit in the majority of my clothes and Im getting destroyed at football training by people I used to be able to ghost by. Really brought it home when I was asked "what the fuck had I done to myself"

Very depressed after getting off the scales this morning - Im moving out of Dublin at the start of Sept but Iv joined Northwood on a short term deal - it really is shit or bust this time. Iv used the excuse of injuries to stop me getting back to my full fitness for the last 18 months but I feel that if I dont do it this time Im destined for a life as a fat bastard which is a scary thought

Current Stats

Height 1.77m (5ft 9 1/2)
                                                            body fat 26.66%
                                                            waist measure 38 inches

GTFO no way are you 15 8
                                                            That puts you within a bag and a half of spuds of me FFS!
                                                            And if that isn't motivation for you i dunno what would be
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              GTFO no way are you 15 8
                                                              That puts you within a bag and a half of spuds of me FFS!
                                                              And if that isn't motivation for you i dunno what would be
                                                              +1, cant believe you are that weight check the auld scales there! In good news I am less fat then you gl with the revival

Comment

lot of people get that at some stage in their 20's, fits with your "I'm thinking of quitting playing football for the first time ever" post of a while ago

The fact that you can still do GAA training at all, means you should be able to knock it off easy enough, no?

Iv used the excuse of injuries to stop me getting back to my full fitness for the last 18 months but I feel that if I dont do it this time Im destined for a life as a fat bastard which is a scary thought
                                                                I'm only sorting it out now (in my 30's), longer you leave it the harder it is

I had shin splints/real bad hamstrings/dodgy back/neck for years (all related to each other imo)

over the last year or so of sad attempts at getting fit I've fixed most of the above, so while I probably don't look much better, I can walk again

imo
                                                                you need to decide
                                                                do you want to keep playing gaa

if "yes", you know what needs to be done

if "no", do you want to give your body a complete rest to heal a bit before knocking off the pounds (doesn't mean putting on more weight btw)

I never got as fat as you though, you fat bastard!
                                                                SPOILER
                                                                due to not carrying as much muscle obv

gl with it

Comment

Am in v similar position myself, can play another few seasons hurling if i get my ass in gear ASAP, but teetering on the edge of committing to it.
                                                                  Would you be interested in a prop bet bubbleking? I got my driving test and gave up fags years ago with prop bets. Its +ev win or lose, either i wins and gets loots to rub on titties or I lose more than i would have done with no motivation and i have to hand over a few quid
                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I'd be interested in some sort of prop bet based around fitness/weight loss as well. I'm currently around 80kg when I should be closer to 68.

Comment

I like the Idea of a prop bet lads maybe we could get a few people involved and set up a thread - kind of make it like a fitness group?? Group motivation far better than personal motivation imo

Comment

One positive thing to note, your target is off 12st is about 76kg not 62kg, so not as far as the numbers above suggest

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                          I'd be interested in some sort of prop bet based around fitness/weight loss as well. I'm currently around 80kg when I should be closer to 68.
                                                                          Much the same myself. Currently 79kg - looking to get to 69.

Comment

Someone change preech to preach in the title please!

Are you really gonna get down to 76kg? I'm @81 at the moment, about to do another cut though. Think that 78 is a realistic goal for what I want to look like.

You'll need serious lifestyle change to get to 76 and stay there!

Comment

#39
                                                                              Prop bet thread somebody?

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                Someone change preech to preach in the title please!

Are you really gonna get down to 76kg? I'm @81 at the moment, about to do another cut though. Think that 78 is a realistic goal for what I want to look like.

You'll need serious lifestyle change to get to 76 and stay there!
                                                                                You'd be surprised at how much is there to be lost. It obviously takes work though.
                                                                                I'd have a similar target, 82ish now, say 76 is doable.

Look at it this way. 81Kg @15% body fat, is the same lean mass as 76.5kg @10% body fat

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Should be a piece of piss to you BK.

Consider the fact you know what you need to do, and how to do it. Whereas so many overweight people haven't a clue what they should be doing, ergo they lose heart and quit.

Not to mention you're still active so you have a good base to start with. Knock the drink for a while too i'd suggest.

Now hop to it.

Comment

#42

Current Stats

Height 1.77m (5ft 9 1/2)
                                                                                    body fat 26.66%
                                                                                    waist measure 38 inches

Tough talk and all that but get the fucking finger out Tony and be a closer not a waffler. Not trying to be nasty but you need to see it through as you get out what you put in. A perfect example of this is Moneymaker, what that guy has done has been simply amazing and no doubt it was not easy and takes mental strength.
                                                                                    How the fck you are still playing competitive ball in that condition baffles me.
                                                                                    Just get it done man and HTFU as nobody will do it for you.

EDIT: And btw feck the prop bet proposition if money is the only thing that will motivate you to ditch the weight then your on a loser from the off.
                                                                                    Last edited by Jackyback; 12-06-11, 23:59.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Tony - you called around to myself and a few others a year back. The advice you gave me re eating and working out was brilliant. Honestly so so shocked your heavier than i am, and i think i need to lose 5 kgs or so.
                                                                                      How are you still playing footy? centre forward yeh?

Interested, whats the reasons you think you have put it on? must be down to diet, what exactly are you eating too much of?

Get the finger out man - aim for a marathon or a dua-athlon or something, that will give you some focus
                                                                                      GAA News Website

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Well to be quite honest about it last year when I was giving you that advice I was completely tuned in to everything I was doing re eating, training, sleeping, drinking etc. I still know what to do and the best way to go about it but Iv been lazy putting it into practice. I know exactly when I broke too - I took not making the sigerson team a lot harder than I should have and just let myself go to shit. Living with the GF probably doesnt help either because she's a feeder but that would be just looking for excuses.

Re playing football - the club were a lot more understanding than they should have been because they knew I was coming back from injury. I was still able to crush average intermediate players but I hit the nut low last weekend. For the first time playing adult football since I was 16 I was taken off due to getting a roasting - I was mortified and it has given me all the motivation I need to sort myself out

We'v already made the 1/4 finals but if we win our last group game we go straight to the semis. Basically Iv a minimum of 4 weeks to get fit again (hopefully longer if meath can string a couple of wins together)

Been hitting it very very hard since Saturday morning - Ill do a summary at the end of the week but Iv been training twice most days and eating as clean as possible. Time isnt on my side so hopefully I can drop this weight in record quick time

Comment

#45
                                                                                          oh and re what Iv been eating too much of;

Crisps
                                                                                          Choc
                                                                                          Biscuits
                                                                                          Pizza (Id get dominoes at least twice a week)
                                                                                          white bread
                                                                                          Drink - Id sink pints of Guinness at every available chance
                                                                                          other take aways (compulsary after pints)
                                                                                          etc etc

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Best of luck with it mate, it's good you've found something you can use to motivate yourself with. Just think how much better a player you'll be when you sort yourself out and how much better you'll feel and look.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Week 1 update

Height 1.77m (5ft 9 1/2)
                                                                                              Weight 94.5kg (14st 12.3lb)
                                                                                              waist measure 37.5 inches

Ok so off to a flyer as I thought I would be - dropped 4kg in the first week. I have literally no idea how much of this is down to water weight but it clearly isnt sustainable. Just going to keep plugging away and I'll get there eventually

Sunday - Gym
                                                                                              Monday - Gym
                                                                                              Tuesday AM - Circuits
                                                                                              Tuesday PM - Football training
                                                                                              Wednesday - Spinning
                                                                                              Thursday - Football training
                                                                                              Friday AM - Gym
                                                                                              Friday PM - Circuits
                                                                                              Sat - Rest

Football training was changed to Tuesday and Thursday this week. Its usually on wednesday and friday so when it goes back I'll be able to fit in another spinning class. Found out last night all the players have to do a "triathalon fun run" on sunday to raise money for the club. Think its a 500m swim (splash around in the pool) 10km cycle and a 5km run. Should be a laugh if nothing else.

Also to stop us going on the beer after we have to go to bettystown on Monday to train on the sand dunes FML

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Are we the same height from memory?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Are we the same height from memory?
                                                                                                  roughly I think - its hard to remember

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    4kg in a week????

Jaysus.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                                                      4kg in a week????

Jaysus.
                                                                                                      I should probably add in that Im wrecked now . Ah no tbf some of that is water weight I wont know where I am for a few weeks until that balances out. Diet is also cutting it pretty close to the edge. Im on a major deficit but getting enough in to keep the metabolism ticking over

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        1200-1500 calories a day should do the trick.

Have fun with the sand dunes.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          This isnt an official update - thats tomorrow. Things are going well though Im down another good bit this week so far. Just thought Id post this up. I got it from the Health and Fitness forum on boards. Its a bit heavy on the science at some parts but stick with it if you want some interesting info. Actually its probably one of the best nutritional things Iv seen on the internet imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Cliffs?

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                              Cliffs?
                                                                                                              Macronutrients = good

sugar = bad

Explains why fat was wrongly correlated with heart disease when in fact it was sugar that was the main cause for weight gain/heart disease etc

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Yeah. Pretty good stuff, most people who read up on nutrition fitness would know all that tbh. Sugar is absolutely terrible for you. Beyond words.

Actually, on a related point, interesting debate over on boards.ie Health Forum on the new SafeFood campaign going on at home. Typical government agencies, slow to react, even slower to change. So much money spent on what is extremely extremely bad advice.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  What about recovery?

I dont know much but training 10 days a week is going to take its toll?

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Yeah you definitely need rest days.

I only train 3 times a week and I don't see any need to do more then that.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Yeah. Pretty good stuff, most people who read up on nutrition fitness would know all that tbh. Sugar is absolutely terrible for you. Beyond words.

Actually, on a related point, interesting debate over on boards.ie Health Forum on the new SafeFood campaign going on at home. Typical government agencies, slow to react, even slower to change. So much money spent on what is extremely extremely bad advice.
                                                                                                                      Yeah Iv seen that - Iv nothing to contribute to it really but its an interesting debate. Some people on the internet will tilt you with their beliefs though

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                                      What about recovery?

I dont know much but training 10 days a week is going to take its toll?
                                                                                                                      Recovery is massive for me right now. It starts from the second I finish training - first refuel with a banana and home made isotonic drink (its like lucozade sport minus the sugar and tastes like piss tbh). I'll often spend ages stretching and have a quick shake out in the pool. I have been told about stuff you can get over the counter in the chemist that pretty much means you can train at 100% every day but its on the banned substance list so I didnt bother

Also in the last week Iv been changing training to suit how I feel. Felt nackered on tuesday so took that off altogether but felt great today so done an extra little bit in the gym

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Training as much as you are, and if you are on a calorie deficit is a recipe for cumulative fatigue or worse, overtraining. It might not happen for a while but if you do eventually come to the point of overtraining and I mean proper overtraining, not what everyone thinks is overtraining, you'll have done some serious damage to yourself that will take a very long time to recover from.

That over the counter stuff, is it Jack3d or something similar. Funnily enough, before training tonight I took 2 scoops of a supplement call Mesomorph. Jesus fuckin christ. I wont sleep now, trying desperately here.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X