Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 01-07-13, 12:43   #701
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
To be honest, you're not really breaking parallel with the reps at 100 imo. Your head and chest is down and forward upon unracking. Is there a possibility that your reduced squatting volume and frequency (previous squat day was June 11!) allied to your scary miss have caused some technical uncertainty. I'm far from a Squat king, but none of those look right. That's not what you'd want to hear I know...
Yeah, I'm wasn't happy with 100 either. It's only slightly high (10 degrees on the analysis) but pulling up early here is causing larger errors for top sets. When I started squating mobility prevented deep squats, and its slipped back in lately, no excuse really.
The miss has crossed my mind as a factor since Sunday. But I think frequency is the biggest factor. I think (or hope) that technique has slipped without the volume, rather than strength issues.
Tbh, comments such as above are exactly want I want to hear. I recorded it because I wasn't happy with form lately, I could have reviewed it myself but its up here to keep me accountable with you guys.

It's definitely set up and position causing a lot if it. After the 145kg set, I loaded 120kg and dropped down all the way and set it on the pins (ATG). Just to prove that I've no issue going full depth.
I've noticed a few issues since on the video. Too far back when unracking, as you mentioned, I'm forgetting to drive elbows under the bar on the drive up. I'm not upright enough in general, but I need to focys on chest up and pin shoulder blades tighter. And finally sit back into it more.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 05:15   #702
Mellor

Mid year testing

Tues AM - Chest/Back - Max effort

Warm -up
Scap/Shoulder prep
Scap push ups x 12
Scap rows x 12
Band pull aparts x 12
Shoulder dislocates
(2 rounds)

Bench Press
20kg x 5
40kg x 5
60kg x 3
80kg x 2
90kg x 1
95kg x 1
100kg x 1 *PR* (of sorts)

Weighted Pull ups
BW x 3
+5kg x 3
+7.5kg x 3
+10kg x 2
+15kg x 1
+17.5kg x 1 *PR*
+20kg x 1 *PR*

Weighted Dips
+20kg x 5 *PR*

I knew I had 100kg in me going into the gym, with a ? over 102.5. It wasn't there.
100kg equals my all time bench PR. But its a huge relative PR as I'm 9kg or so lighter now.
It took a while to get back here with reduced volume. I feel scap work to prep and smart programming are what did it for me.

I threw in weight pulls ups to make it a true max effort test day. My previous best weight pull up was 15 x 3 in may last year. I haven't done any weight pull up work since but i'm made good progress in pull ups in general.

Kept the plates and belt on and waddled over to the dip station. No idea what to expect. Very happy with 5 reps @ +20kg.
Old 02-07-13, 07:29   #703
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Your bench is strong like bull, great lift relative to body weight.
Old 05-07-13, 03:12   #704
Mellor

Weds - BJJ

Prep
Drilling sweeps for the grading. I need to do 8 sweeps of my choosing.
Pretty sure I have the following sweeps nailed down;

Closed Guard
Bump sweep
Scissor sweep
Knee Push

Open/Spider Guard
Lasso Leg Hook
Pivot sweep

I need three more. So I'm looking at flower/pendulum, swing sweep, foot hook, tripod or overhead (spider or butterfly)

Then rolled for about 30 minutes with the bluebelt I was training with. Obviously he went light and let me move a little. But I caught him with a improv X.guard sweep that I was happy with. And towards the end I also nailed a open guard to back take Iíve been mentally drilling (for want of a better phrase). Started from a sort of reverse DLR, take the back through the legs, in this case the guy posted his arm to keep posture but I was quick enough to climb for an armbar. He defend it, but it was a nice attack flow.

Warm-up

Running, jogging, jumping, sprawls, hips , triangles etc

No need for the warm up 60 minutes in, but its part of the class.

Drilling
Omoplata
Roll escape
Omoplata roll recover
Omoplata grip break
Omoplata step over recover

Rolling
10-15 mins free rolling.

2.5 hours is a though session. Gonna put leg lifting session on hold for a few days. Maybe monday. I think Judo is switching to sambo for a few weeks, so i'll give that a go tonight.
Old 09-07-13, 01:12   #705
Mellor

Catch-up post

Fri - Sambo

This is a new class that's replacing Judo for a little bit. For those that don't know, its a Russian martial art based on throws and submissions, somewhere between Judo and Jiu Jitsu with wrestling. The idea is a throw or takedown followed by a quick submission, as you don't get long once it goes to the ground. Throws where you keep a hold of an arm and staying are important, trips and leg reaps are out. Submissions are based around jointlocks, no chokes, and no crossing legs (so closed guard and no triangles).

There's also a version of Sambo that includes striking. So we incorporate that into the sparring. It's a good tie in to MMA.

The class was a series of drills.
Shoot-in step
Single leg takedown
Clinching over hands
Clinching under hands
Hip Throw
Shoulder Throw

Than some sparring.
One partner strikes m and one tries to tie the other up and get a takedown.
Went ok, towards the very end I set up a rolling kneebar takedown was just pulling the trigger when I remembered the guy had knee injury and then had to bale out. It's one I want to work on as its pretty slick looking.

Sat - BJJ Drilling
An hour work on sweep from De La Riva and spider guard.
Work on another two that I'll use for grading.

After that the weekend was a bit of a blow out food wise. Friends came to stay with us for a month. So lots of drink, takeaway, popcorn, crisp. Lets call it a refeed. Testing max squat and press on tuesday, and bench, pull-up squat reps on thurs. Competing on sunday.
Old 10-07-13, 04:33   #706
Mellor

Mid year testing
Tues PM - Legs/Shoulders - Max effort

Sad post...Happy post

Warm -up
fire hydrants, mountain climbers,
foam rolling, thoracic mobility
Shoulder dislocates
Wall slides

Snatches with a 5kg barbell

Squat
20kg x 5
60kg x 3
100kg x 2
120kg x 1 x 3
130kg x 1
100kg x 1

Meh.
Tried to focus on depth. Was fine on the warm up sets. The first 120kg was a little high, so I repeated. Somebody stood in the way right when I squatted so I repeated again. Was still higher than 60kg and 100kg. I think i'm leaning further forward when the weight is above 100kg, and the results is I fell like I'm lower than I am (suppose my head is lower).
130kg was high so I called it there.

Screen grabs of 20kg, 60kg, 100kg, & 120kg
Spoiler

Videos of 120kg and 130kg
Spoiler

Overhead Press
40kg x 3
50kg x 2 ...strict press
60kg x 1 ...push press from here on
62.5kg x 1
65kg x 1

I can't remember if my last two sets were actually 65kg & 67.5kg. Too much going on, lets say it was the lower values. I messed up my push on the second last one (62.5kg), came up on my toes and dropped it back down. I didn't re-rack and went for it again and got it. Figured I had 65 there if I get the timing right.

Jerks
70kg x 1
72.5kg x 1 *PR* *Bodyweight*

70kg was super-smooth so felt good going for 72.5kg. Nervously aware that 72.5kg is more or less bodyweight (what I weighed for BJJ state champs)
The 72.5 wasn't all that smooth, and it wouldn't pass at the olympics due to the press out needed to finish.
But I don't care. It's still finishes weight bodyweight overhead.

Videos
Apologies for terrible angle, space issues.
For some reason the videos in landscape mode are jerky on the PC, not on the phone. They might be ok in youtube
Spoiler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 to 120.jpg (43.8 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by Mellor; 10-07-13 at 07:35.
Thanks From:
Old 10-07-13, 08:50   #707
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Nice one on the body weight overhead, would love to be that strong!

I'd say it's time to start from the start on your squat. Being brutally honest, you're only getting acceptable depth with the empty bar imo.

Minor point, but your grip could be a bit wider at the bottom for tge push jerk and with a more open grip and higher elbows. The set up should be different to a press.
Old 10-07-13, 09:06   #708
Theresa
lwaysone

Agree with Lloyd fwiw.

I think its your stance tbh. Duck those feet a bit more and repeat until you get good depth. It also looks like you are breaking at knee and not hip, not sitting into it, your knee is a fair bit ahead of your toe, especially as it gets heavier. This is prob why you are leaning forward.
Old 10-07-13, 09:16   #709
Mellor

Quote:
I'd say it's time to start from the start on your squat. Being brutally honest, you're only getting acceptable depth with the empty bar imo.
Yeah plan a big deload after this. Just start light and squat as low as I can, rather than what I think is parallel.
I can physically squat ATG and hang about at the bottom for 10+ mins. The issue here is perception, its feel like its parallel. I just need to redrill the muscle memory.

Quote:
Minor point, but your grip could be a bit wider at the bottom for tge push jerk and with a more open grip and higher elbows. The set up should be different to a press.
I've never had any jerk coaching at all, just gave it a go myself. So its prob all over the place. any pointers are hugely welcome.
Old 12-07-13, 13:27   #710
Mellor

Fri - Sambo + repetition effort testing

Wanted to get the repetition testing done as its own session yesterday but was busy.
So just stuck it in here to get it wrapped up for mid-year.

Warm up
Scap rows and scap press-ups

Pull Ups - Max Reps
BW x 15

Happy with that. Wasn't expecting any more than that

Sambo
Some throwing, seoi nage
Counter to above.

Leg catch to foot lock

Sparring

Bench Press - Bodyweight for reps
72.5kg x 12

15 is the ultimate target here. Tried a 13th rep and stalled halfway.
Old 16-07-13, 00:16   #711
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Agree with Lloyd fwiw.

I think its your stance tbh. Duck those feet a bit more and repeat until you get good depth. It also looks like you are breaking at knee and not hip, not sitting into it, your knee is a fair bit ahead of your toe, especially as it gets heavier. This is prob why you are leaning forward.
Only seen this post now.
I think your are right. I've changed something and its not right. What do you mean by "duck" my feet. I'd guess widen and turn them out like a duck. Back squatting tonight. Going to mix around with deloading, box squats and front squats to nail depth.
Old 16-07-13, 01:36   #712
Mellor

BJJ Comp - July 14th Sydney

Once again entered 73kg Gi and NoGi divisions. Making weight was fine.

First up was Gi as usual.

Gi- 73kg
Round 1
I pulled guard, but was very sloppy. Back and forth on the ground.
After one rolling about I get a sweep and we are reset in the centre. He then sweeps from half guard. His locked in my guard and I work on opening his arms out. Somebody shouts that he is up 4-0*. I get a leg over his shoulder and cross ankes into a half triangle. I have his arm locked down and when he stand I switch to the armbar and he verbally taps.

*The score board actually had me up 4-0, which was wrong, it was 2-2. But at the time I thought I was down.

Round 2
This guy had a by into this round. He jumped about a lot. He telegraphed a guard pull and I sliced passed immediately. He had a headlock in sidecontrol but was over rotated, I was a bit too relaxed though, and we rolled over. But I slipp out to take his back and then side, and then north south as he moved. I pinned his left arm and hook his free right. Blocked his head and then adjusted for the armbar.

Semi-Final
I pulled guard, and after a bit of play. I ended up with a leg lasso in spider guard. I sent for an omoplata and he defended pressing down on top. Stalemate. He couldn't get around to finish the sub, and he could get his arm out. We were here for a few minutes and finally he got knee ride and got the arm out, from there I turtled and he took my back and got the choke.

He went on to take gold, which means I get third place. Happy enough with my first gi medal.

Nogi- 73kg
Lost my first match here. Disappointed, I defended a choke well but was too lax against am armbar, I thought I could hold it off while I moved free but he broke my grip.

All up. Happy to take 3rd in a big division, and to get a couple of wins in the Gi as well as a medal. Time to chase the gold.
I only have the last minute of the first and the qucik second match as they are taking ages. I think its the HD camera on the iphone.
Old 16-07-13, 07:38   #713
Theresa
lwaysone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Only seen this post now.
I think your are right. I've changed something and its not right. What do you mean by "duck" my feet. I'd guess widen and turn them out like a duck. Back squatting tonight. Going to mix around with deloading, box squats and front squats to nail depth.
Yeah. Exactly, I find that by widening your stance and pointing your toes out a slight bit you open up your hip more and are able to sit back into the squat a bit better.

It seems for me anyway that if I use a narrow shoulder width let stance my hamstring flexibility hinders the depth and with more width this eases off.

Trial and error.
Old 16-07-13, 07:40   #714
Theresa
lwaysone

Also well done on the medal!
Old 18-07-13, 00:58   #715
Mellor

Weds - BJJ

Prep
30 mins rolling

Open Guard
De La Riva

Two of the blue betls are just back from a seminar with Rafael Mendes, so they took the class for some DLR stuff.

Rolling
3 x 5 mins free rolling.

2.5 hours is a though session. Gonna put leg lifting session on hold for a few days. Maybe monday. I think Judo is switching to sambo for a few weeks, so i'll give that a go tonight.[/QUOTE]
Old 24-07-13, 06:37   #716
Mellor

Took a few days rest. Program 2 starts from here.
My aim with this program is to improve on my current program. Keeping what has worked, adding in what i feel is lacking.

Basic rules;
Stick with 2 lifting sessions a week, increase the volume and intensity.
Up to 5 movements per session. Basic order will be Strength/Power/Push/Pull/Core.
Most moves will be 5x5.
Squats and Deadlifts every week. Strength.
Clean and snatch variants for speed/power. (5x3)
Keep an eye on my pushull and quad:hip ratios

Tuesday - Workout A ...hmmm need a better name

Squats
20kg x 5
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 5 x 2

Power Snatch
20kg x 3
30kg x 3
40kg x 3 x 3

Overhead Press ...Strict
20kg x 5
40kg x 5
50kg x 5 x 2

Pull-ups
BW x 5
5kg x 5 x 2

Hang Leg Raise
BW x 10 x 2
T2B x 5
(Toes to Bar)

Squats. Reduced the load and ass to grass. Was tough to keep everything together in the hole. There's a conflict between low bar and ATG squatting.

Snatches were light. First rep was fine, was rowing the 3rd a little. Going keep the load light until I can nail the form.

Pressing, pulls and core was a bit rushed. Hand was sore so I cut some sets out.
Old 25-07-13, 05:26   #717
Mellor

Weds - BJJ - 2 hours

Prep
30 mins rolling

Drills
Armbars : From mount, defence, rolling out etc

Rolling
4 x 5 mins free rolling.

Weights session 2.
Sore these last two days

Last edited by Mellor; 25-07-13 at 05:34.
Old 25-07-13, 13:17   #718
Mellor

Thursday - Workout B ...hmmm need a better name

Deadlifts
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
110kg x 5

Power Clean
20kg x 3
40kg x 3
50kg x 3 x 2

Bench Press
20kg x 5
40kg x 5
60kg x 5
80kg x 5

Pendlay Rows
35kg x 5
60kg x 5 x 2

Bridges
BW x 5/6/7

Was a bit sort today, so reduced the volume all around.
Deadlifts were ok. Not as tight as I'd like. Cleans were slow as the soreness was all legs. Bench and row were fine. Right pinky is still swollen, so bridging was uncomfortable.
Old 25-07-13, 14:46   #719
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

I like the look of your program. Would you consider high bar for a period?
Old 25-07-13, 16:53   #720
Mellor

Quote:
I like the look of your program. Would you consider high bar for a period?
Yeah I've been thinking about switching to high bar. I'm not a powerlifter so I don't NEED to lift PL style. High bar would make depth a lot easier, with a sacrifice of a bit of weight.
I'm gonna toss it front squats also.
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs