Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the hallmarks of the outgoing government was hollow soundbites, particularly on housing. The election result displayed the bitter reaction of words without resourcing and action.

I hope this isn't just another round of waffle and frontliers don't have to deal with this bitterness along with everything else.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          They made huge, unprecedented, changes to the planning process to speed up housing approval, which can be seen in the massive growth of planning approvals. Now admittedly they didn't magic out of fresh air a few hundred thousand homes, but apart from that its hard to see that there's much more they could have actually done.
          And then SF and SocDems came in and vetoed every housing development they could

Comment

You'd have to assume most retailers are going to follow suit over next few days?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

You'd have to assume most retailers are going to follow suit over next few days?
              They should. I don't see any point to any retail outlet being open that doesn't provide essential (food, medicine) supplies?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                The era of ZIRP is going to drag on for many years now
                You have no idea how globally ominous that sounds to those of us unfamiliar with that acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                  You have no idea how globally ominous that sounds to those of us unfamiliar with that acronym.
                  I always thought SLORC was one of the more ominous acronyms I ever heard. Particularly when you consider how real-life murderous it was.

SMERSH was another good one!

Comment

yeah, cannot imagine most retailers staying open, not much in demand for designer knickers at the moment
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Kneel before ZIRP

Comment

They should. I don't see any point to any retail outlet being open that doesn't provide essential (food, medicine) supplies?
                        Yeah lot of parents with kids browsing to pass the time coughing and sneezing over clothes/products in an enclosed envirnoment can't be good. Move it online where possible for ths period.

Comment

Quite an eerie feeling around Dublin city centre. Feck all traffic and not much going on in general, M50 the quietest I've ever seen it and quays absolutely dead. Getting my route done in record time today.

Comment

They made huge, unprecedented, changes to the planning process to speed up housing approval, which can be seen in the massive growth of planning approvals. Now admittedly they didn't magic out of fresh air a few hundred thousand homes, but apart from that its hard to see that there's much more they could have actually done.

We've already heard on here a lot of the changes happening in the background. Like laz talking about fitting out unused hospitals. There's clearly a war setting and big decisions are being made. A big part of that is getting people on board to effect social change. Now maybe you view that in that awful brit-term 'waffle', but I don't think it is. It's just communicating the situation.
                            You think planning deregulation to suit developers is a good thing?

They could have done loads more on housing but are loath to move away from a market will sort it out approach. Why not use public land, contract the development and sell at affordable prices with zero profit?

Communicating the situation is about providing facts not hyperbole.

How many tests have been performed? How many test kits do we have? The science behind our approach. The projected number of cases and deaths. The metrics that will lead to a lock-down or a loosening of restrictions.

Everything is awesome is not going to cut it but I dearly hope you are correct.
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I suspect the hardest hit sector from this crisis will eventually be brick & mortar retail outlets.

They were already suffering as retail has shifted more online with many having already shut indefinitely or moved exclusively online.
                              Similarly, many betting shops will close, they saw a 20% drop in profits last year and put quite a few shops up for sale. This will be the final nail for many different retail outlets.

They should all shut with the likes of Tesco/Dunnes/M&S all following suit by closing their non-essential departments.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                yeah, cannot imagine most retailers staying open, not much in demand for designer knickers at the moment
                                Eoghan 1/1
                                Jbravado 7/4
                                DP 4/1

The IPB covid stakes on PP. Hope dice doesnt pull another 1 outer . A score on Eoghan

Comment

Anyone got some advice/ recommended courses for beginning to learn to use R? May as well make some use of all this free time.
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    Eoghan 1/1
                                    Jbravado 7/4
                                    DP 4/1

The IPB covid stakes on PP. Hope dice doesnt pull another 1 outer . A score on Eoghan

Despite being utterly terrified found this very funny.

Got tested Sunday. Still no word. I was impressed with the speech yesterday but everything in this, other than what actually happens are just words. We do not have control.

Comment

Yeah lot of parents with kids browsing to pass the time coughing and sneezing over clothes/products in an enclosed envirnoment can't be good. Move it online where possible for ths period.
                                      I've been a home schooler for three hours now. Fucking hell.

Online learning is great, except it's online. Which means kids need a device, which means they will play games instead.

Can't stand over them as I am working too. Need some kind of robot helper

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                        Eoghan 1/1
                                        Jbravado 7/4
                                        DP 4/1

You'd know it wasn't GAB making the book anyway.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                            You'd know it wasn't GAB making the book anyway.
                                            He's out the back garden on all 4s looking for a missing dowel. Sit on those wooden benches at your own risk.

Comment

Not heard anything about the construction industry at all. Lots of big sites in town especially with hundreds of workers. Am in a government project at the moment and it’s eerie but for the most part the work is going ahead. Think about 500 people here working over 6 floors.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                Anyone got some advice/ recommended courses for beginning to learn to use R? May as well make some use of all this free time.
                                                There's only one acceptable answer to that - datacamp.com
                                                I remember doing this one a good few years back and it being pretty good:
                                                Offered by Johns Hopkins University. In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You ... Enroll for free.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Landlord from yesterday called agent to apologise for over reacting and the place is ours if we want it with no restrictions or raised rent. Bit of a red flag but fuck it, the place is worth the risk of a shit landlord.

Comment

Swirl is always the top thing I see mentioned on reddit when someone asks about R. No idea personally as never used it.

Opr
                                                        Last edited by Opr; 18-03-20, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                          Not heard anything about the construction industry at all. Lots of big sites in town especially with hundreds of workers. Am in a government project at the moment and it’s eerie but for the most part the work is going ahead. Think about 500 people here working over 6 floors.
                                                          Business as usual. Just spent the morning delivering to sites all round Dublin.

Comment

I've been a home schooler for three hours now. Fucking hell.

Online learning is great, except it's online. Which means kids need a device, which means they will play games instead.

Can't stand over them as I am working too. Need some kind of robot helper
                                                            Identical experience .

Comment

Owner of the company came in to give us a pep talk. Not closing, said this wont be as bad as the last recession and they worked through that, it didn't seem to dawn on him the last one wasn't caused by a global pandemic. Its gonna be business as usual and anyone that gets it had to make their own decisions lol. Hungry cunts.

One of the lads missus gone to get tested, surely if she tests positive we shut down but wont hold my breath

Comment

if you manage to finish early because of traffic,i start looking for a different job

Comment

Originally posted by noname1255 View Post
                                                                  if you manage to finish early because of traffic,i start looking for a different job
                                                                  Oh finished my run an hour ago. Plenty to be done back at base now. So lots of close contact and touching but apparently now is the best time to get infected

Comment

Anyone think the measure we've put in place can get our growth rate to fall in a similar manner to Italy (albeit probably not as dramatically given we're not completely locked down)? If we managed to drop it by 1% a day that would leave us under 6000 at the end of March rather than than the estimated 15000 assuming it stays as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      Ah here, ffs. 16 foot planks of timber, a pencil, a sketch pad and kick on.
                                                                      Bloke called John Mcgrath has a decent YouTube channel, small woodworking projects.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                        Landlord from yesterday called agent to apologise for over reacting and the place is ours if we want it with no restrictions or raised rent. Bit of a red flag but fuck it, the place is worth the risk of a shit landlord.
                                                                        Don't think any place is worth the risk of this, in Malta espcially!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                          Anyone think the measure we've put in place can get our growth rate to fall in a similar manner to Italy (albeit probably not as dramatically given we're not completely locked down)? If we managed to drop it by 1% a day that would leave us under 6000 at the end of March rather than than the estimated 15000 assuming it stays as is.
                                                                          It comes down to the volume of testing.

SK never locked down like Italy & China, so it is possible. I think under the current measures we won't get to 15k anyway.
                                                                          Look at the timelines & population size when compared to Italy, 15k is a lot in relative terms over the next 2 weeks.
                                                                          The key to me is a massive decrease in wait times for test results to go significantly below it, I mean 4 days like the lads here just won't work.

Additionally, you'll need to cast a far wider net for actual testing, as in effectively, anyone asking for a test, gets a test.
                                                                          SK have 43 drive through testing facilities, not sure of the size but I'm guessing many like Croke Park. Test complete in 10 mins, results in 6-8 hours.

Get 5-6 of those testing facilities for all throughout the country, get results to people in the same day and disseminate the info to all, especially those in close contact.

Perhaps use the most ubiquitous mobile apps for real time updates. Something like AIB, BOI banking apps or FB messenger to disseminate the information to everyone with a smart phone.

The details being given elsewhere like:

Originally posted by SK View Post
                                                                          When a person tests positive, their city or district might send out an alert to people living nearby about their movements before being diagnosed.
                                                                          A typical alert can contain the infected person’s age and gender, and a detailed log of their movements down to the minute — in some cases traced using closed-circuit television and credit-card transactions, with the time and names of businesses they visited. In some districts, public information includes which rooms of a building the person was in, when they visited a toilet and whether or not they wore a mask. Even overnight stays at ‘love motels’ have been noted.
                                                                          How feasible that all is, who knows but on the face of it, they're very applicable measures if the resources are in place.

Comment

Someone recommend me a good online coffee company please. Supplies running low and now seems an ideal time to expand my repetoire.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                              Covid probs hitting me now, badly need a haircut, covid was a faraway problem last time I had one.
                                                                              Could self administer a blade 1 but not a good look for work
                                                                              Thanks to YouTube, i can cut my own hair and if needed, remove my appendix.
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                I remember doing this one a good few years back and it being pretty good:
                                                                                https://www.coursera.org/learn/r-programming
                                                                                Ah that one is very good, but datacamp is a comparative revolution. Its really next level.
                                                                                Datacamp is very good but never done an R course on it so can't comment on that but will take your word on that.

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                Swirl is always the top thing I see mentioned on reddit when someone asks about R. No idea personally as never used it.

Opr

Course I linked to I think included swirl if I remember correctly.

Forgot to link to this:
                                                                                This book will teach you how to do data science with R: You’ll learn how to get your data into R, get it into the most useful structure, transform it, visualise it and model it. In this book, you will find a practicum of skills for data science. Just as a chemist learns how to clean test tubes and stock a lab, you’ll learn how to clean data and draw plots—and many other things besides. These are the skills that allow data science to happen, and here you will find the best practices for doing each of these things with R. You’ll learn how to use the grammar of graphics, literate programming, and reproducible research to save time. You’ll also learn how to manage cognitive resources to facilitate discoveries when wrangling, visualising, and exploring data.

Best book on R. Once you get the basics down, that book is a great reference point.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  Owner of the company came in to give us a pep talk. Not closing, said this wont be as bad as the last recession and they worked through that, it didn't seem to dawn on him the last one wasn't caused by a global pandemic. Its gonna be business as usual and anyone that gets it had to make their own decisions lol. Hungry cunts.

One of the lads missus gone to get tested, surely if she tests positive we shut down but wont hold my breath
                                                                                  Jesus dobby, you really do work for morons. I would start stealing as much as a I can!

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                    Thanks to YouTube, i can cut my own hair and if needed, remove my appendix.
                                                                                    at the same time....?

Comment

Someone recommend me a good online coffee company please. Supplies running low and now seems an ideal time to expand my repetoire.
                                                                                      Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                      For anyone like me who still can't handle the thought of instant, Calender Coffee from Galway doing their part for the cafes that have shut.

We're launching a nationwide campaign to support coffee shops and cafes during the Covid-19 outbreak.
                                                                                      We will be donating 30% of every bag sold through our website to a cafe of your choice.
                                                                                      The best part, is that this can be ANY cafe in the Republic of Ireland, regardless of whether they stock Calendar Coffee or not.
                                                                                      To make this work, there'll be a €4 flat rate on all orders up to 2kg to cover shipping costs.
                                                                                      All you need to do is include the name and location of your favourite cafe at checkout, and you can even share a message of support.

https://calendarcoffee.ie/
                                                                                      Coffee is top notch too, if you're not in the giving mood though, PS Coffee Roasters is excellent too: https://pscoffeeroasters.com/

Comment

schools to close from friday in Wales and Scotland. At a guess tonight's announcement will confirm this will be nationwide.i'd be shocked if he left England/NI out of it

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                          Yes, have faith.
                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

All aboard Friday Night Poker Home Game Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                              Don't think any place is worth the risk of this, in Malta espcially!
                                                                                              Totally worth it! Can have a quiz house warming when things settle.

Comment

Cloud picker coffee roasters are my beans of choice. Sam is my favourite variant, but take a look yourself and decide:

Speciality coffee roasters seeking out the most exciting coffees on planet earth!
                                                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Shop locally roasted and ethically sourced coffee, Wilfa Svart, Kinto, Puck Puck, coffee merchandise, oat milk and more

FUCKCOVID19 for 20% off atm.

Comment

Also this coffee is great https://hackneycoffee.co/collections...sadlers-ascent

Comment

Oh and any coffee I get in two boys brew is great.

Their coffee atm:

Root & Branch Coffee Roasters // Belfast
                                                                                                      Espresso / Eagle Mogiana - Brazil | Natural
                                                                                                      Pour Over / Gitesi - Rwanda | Washed
                                                                                                      www.rootandbranch.coffee / @rootandbranchcoffee
                                                                                                      Colonna Coffee Roasters // Bristol
                                                                                                      Espresso / Carlos Alberto - Colombia | Washed
                                                                                                      Pour Over / Cerro San Luis – Costa Rica | White Honey
                                                                                                      www.colonnacoffee.com / @colonnacoffee

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        Oh and any coffee I get in two boys brew is great.

Their coffee atm:

Root & Branch Coffee Roasters // Belfast
                                                                                                        Espresso / Eagle Mogiana - Brazil | Natural
                                                                                                        Pour Over / Gitesi - Rwanda | Washed
                                                                                                        www.rootandbranch.coffee / @rootandbranchcoffee
                                                                                                        Colonna Coffee Roasters // Bristol
                                                                                                        Espresso / Carlos Alberto - Colombia | Washed
                                                                                                        Pour Over / Cerro San Luis – Costa Rica | White Honey
                                                                                                        www.colonnacoffee.com / @colonnacoffee
                                                                                                        Another few for you to try

Roasted Brown in Wicklow: https://www.roastedbrown.com/

BeaninDingle: https://www.beanindingle.com/

TraRoasters in Tramore: https://www.tracoffeeroasters.ie/

All excellent.

I'd have tried the one GAB shared had I not just bought 1kg from Calendar. 40e for 1kg is a tad steep but with 30% going to a cafe, I'm happy enough, usually paying in the high 20e, lower 30e range.

Comment

Well, that was quite the slew of coffee recommendations.

Sterling service men. I went with Lloyds crew and picked:
                                                                                                          • Guji | Ethiopia | Arsosala - 250g / WHOLEBEAN1
                                                                                                          • El Salvador | Ayutepeque - 250g / WHOLEBEAN1
                                                                                                          • HENRY - 250g / WHOLEBEAN1
                                                                                                          • SAM - 250g / WHOLEBEAN1

better be good or I'll come over there and kick his ass.

Comment

Jesus dobby, you really do work for morons. I would start stealing as much as a I can!
                                                                                                            I agree, apart from the stealing but understand the sentiment. As if this company was a big enough lol as it is. Owner just had his office cleared out so he can wfh, says he needs to isolate so as to not catch the virus. I'm 100% certain we are now being filmed as part of some comedy sketch show. He cant be for real surely

Comment

Presume this would be a decent time to increase AVCs a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                schools to close from friday in Wales and Scotland. At a guess tonight's announcement will confirm this will be nationwide.i'd be shocked if he left England/NI out of it
                                                                                                                Schools closed til at least April 17th in Malta. I'm lucky enough that i can work remote for as long as needed. I can't promise i won't strangle one of the kids though.

Comment

Has anyone used Google hangouts? Just been using Zoom in the past few days, but someone proposing Hangouts for a group of up to 10 people. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    Schools closed til at least April 17th in Malta. I'm lucky enough that i can work remote for as long as needed. I can't promise i won't strangle one of the kids though.
                                                                                                                    Yep, same here, my kids schools shut on Monday. The online schooling is still getting bedded down but looks pretty good so far. At least they're old enough to get on with it by themselves although they still need the odd prod from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      Were you not tempted to go with the Half Bean option?
                                                                                                                      that might be this one?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                        Yep, same here, my kids schools shut on Monday. The online schooling is still getting bedded down but looks pretty good so far. At least they're old enough to get on with it by themselves although they still need the odd prod from time to time.
                                                                                                                        <insert your own joke here>

Comment

Has anyone used Google hangouts? Just been using Zoom in the past few days, but someone proposing Hangouts for a group of up to 10 people. Any thoughts?
                                                                                                                          I have used hangouts for many years. Works fine. It's nice that it is built into my email accounts that I have open anyway and that it's hooked into my phone too. Pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X