Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 22-06-18, 11:11   #661
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Did Outliers by Gladwell and now doing Tipping Point by him, enjoyable pop science with correlation = causation for him. Also did some famous persuasion influence book that was full of things I already do . Have gotten an audio book on scrum as we've started that in work.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-06-18 at 11:15.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 11:20   #662
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Influence?

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 11:24   #663
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Influence?
Yep looked it up now, "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion". Did I ever mention how much I love how sharp and forthright you are?
Old 22-06-18, 11:49   #664
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Did Outliers by Gladwell and now doing Tipping Point by him, enjoyable pop science with correlation = causation for him. Also did some famous persuasion influence book that was full of things I already do . Have gotten an audio book on scrum as we've started that in work.
I read those two of Gladwell as well. I bought Blink, What the dog saw and David & Golaith too but haven't read them yet.

Persuasion is good, lots of good books in that area.

Thinking Fast & Slow
Nudge
Misbehaving
How to win friends & influence people
Daniel Goleman has a few on emotional intelligence which are decent too

I was maybe 1/3 through two Dan Dennett books and put them down. They're just draining trying to figure out exactly what he's talking about

Last edited by brady23; 22-06-18 at 11:55.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 11:59   #665
careca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Yeah read that recently. Think a lot of wannabee entrepreneurs read that for inspiration, but so much good luck (and sacrifice) involved in that story (his coach happened to be a genius, he got lucky with finance, endorsements, etc), company could so easily have folded with tighter credit.
Absolutely. Ran well if you excuse the pun
careca is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 22-06-18, 12:28   #666
Tar.Aldarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
I read those two of Gladwell as well. I bought Blink, What the dog saw and David & Golaith too but haven't read them yet.

Persuasion is good, lots of good books in that area.

Thinking Fast & Slow
Nudge
Misbehaving
How to win friends & influence people
Daniel Goleman has a few on emotional intelligence which are decent too

I was maybe 1/3 through two Dan Dennett books and put them down. They're just draining trying to figure out exactly what he's talking about
I Read What the Dog Saw and Loved that, have Blink here to read too. A rare physical copy of a book for me. Thinking Fast & Slow sounds good from the title, it's a concept I've thought a lot about. I'd like some books with more Science to them like Influence.

Dan Dennett sounds good considering his credentials.
Old 22-06-18, 12:45   #667
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
I Read What the Dog Saw and Loved that, have Blink here to read too. A rare physical copy of a book for me. Thinking Fast & Slow sounds good from the title, it's a concept I've thought a lot about. I'd like some books with more Science to them like Influence.

Dan Dennett sounds good considering his credentials.
Thinking Fast and Slow is hands down the best and most influential book I've ever read anyway.
Hitch said Michael Lewis adaptation The Undoing Project is very good too.

Dennett is great, he's one of the 4 horsemen with Dawkins, Harris & Hitchens. He did a great podcast with Sam Harris on the concept of Free Will vs Determinism which arose because of his criticism of Harris's book Free Will as he felt it was flawed.
Lots of it going over my head as it often feels like they're arguments over semantics but they're interesting concepts.

Hitchens "Letters to a young contrarian" is well worth a read too
Thanks From:
Old 22-06-18, 16:03   #668
brady23

@Tar I'd you're interested in Dennett & persuasion, I'm moving on to reading this:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Intui...SABEgLKIvD_BwE

He consistently mentions Rappaports Rules as a formula for constructing a debate and probably pretty apt for idea of persuasion:

How to compose a successful critical commentary:

1. You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”

2. You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).

3. You should mention anything you have learned from your target.

4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

One immediate effect of following these rules is that your targets will be a receptive audience for your criticism: you have already shown that you understand their positions as well as they do, and have demonstrated good judgment (you agree with them on some important matters and have even been persuaded by something they said).

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games