Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    Marathons are old hat, friend is running 250km across this desert for 7 days next week. You have to carry your own supplies. If you do the full thing the race is 4 deserts and 1000km.

I find those endurance races really interesting, this was a nice doc about a hard one:
    Available now WORLDWIDE: http://www.barkleymovie.comA famous prison escape sparks the idea for a cult-like race that has seen only 10 finishers in its first ...

Doke is, or was, an ultra endurance runner. I remember reading this blog post about how he did over 200km in 24 hours representing Ireland. I had a few conversations with him about his running, and when he went into detail about how his feet look after a race, my stomach nearly exploded!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Not really. The sight of neo-Nazis in the Bundestag is a sad and frightening one.
      Although one of the co-leaders just quit.

Interesting move.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
        Jaysus IT was some load of shite. Horror my hole. Was more like a comedy. The search for a good horror goes on. Actually watched It Follows last night and it was half decent. Had a few jumpy moments and it was creepy enough
        I thought it was a good film. Very good interpretation of the story, as well as almost a homage to the original IT film (well, mini-series).
        It wasn't scary though. And neither was the original. We only remember IT as this incredibly creepy scary clown because we were children. I re-watched it recently, and honestly it was considerably less scary than the latest incarnation.

As for there only being one Pennywise. I honestly think Scarsgard piped him. That thing where his eye would deviate - to suggest it's false face - wasn't a special effect. He was actually doing it.

Comment

We had a motivational speaker in telling us about him running 7 Ironmans in 7 days. I couldn't help thinking all he'd done is taken years off his life.
          Last edited by Denny Crane; 25-09-17, 12:52.

Comment

@Flushie

Many Irish still going in the main?

Can't check in work.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              We had a motivational speaker in telling us about him running 7 Ironmans in 7 days. I couldn't help thinking he'd just taken years off his life.
              Gerry Duffy?

They sent him in to us before. Pure torture listening too it. The man loves himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                @Flushie

Can't check in work.
                +1

Finishing a little early today so will check when i get home and see how we're looking!

Comment

He was probably thinking the same thing looking at the room.

Comment

We had a motivational speaker in telling us about him running 7 Ironmans in 7 days. I couldn't help thinking he'd just taken years off his life.
                    It’s really bad for your heart http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...473-9/abstract

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                      +1

Finishing a little early today so will check when i get home and see how we're looking!
                      Gambling sites blocked at your work? lol

Comment

Actually really don’t get the whole ultra endurance area, it’s bad for your health ,prob your joints too and makes you look like an inmate of a Siberian hard labor camp. Know some lads mad into Ironman who are always injured/sick and take perverse pride in training through it which fucks you up more.you gotta have some demons
                        Would be far more impressed at a lad getting into running and pushing well under 20 mins in a 5k/40 in a 10k than some guy who isn’t that fit trundling along for a couple 100k pissing on himself and shitting on the side of the road as he goes
                        Last edited by Guest; 25-09-17, 12:08.

Comment

Deloitte hacked,good work ,some hackers are on the side of the angels

Comment

Just devoured the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery. An enjoyable solid start.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                              Deloitte hacked,good work ,some hackers are on the side of the angels
                              https://www.theguardian.com/business...e_iOSApp_Other
                              Why you so Deloitted?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                Gerry Duffy?

They sent him in to us before. Pure torture listening too it. The man loves himself.
                                Yeah I think he's a charlatan and a painful waste of time.

The only thing I got from it is that the motivational speaker circuit must be an easy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  Fair play, that sounds like some test.

That Barkley marathons is some grueller alright, the Netflix doc is brilliant.
                                  My mate does the Art O'Neill challenge ultra every year, and loves it. I think he's done it 5 times now and him/his team are down to about the 9 hour mark. He also does 100k + races quite regularly

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    Gambling sites blocked at your work? lol
                                    haha, nah i don't have Pokerstars downloaded on my work laptop and can't figure out good enough reason why i need it yet

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                      haha, nah i don't have Pokerstars downloaded on my work laptop and can't figure out good enough reason why i need it yet

all left plus marc mcdonnel just out of screen shot on 92k

edit: some are actually from portugal who moved to ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                        @Flushie

Can't check in work.
                                        281 left with 278 paid (min cash is $8,900)

Avg Stack is 388k

Sluglife 92k
                                        Max Silver 665k
                                        Cathal Shine 295k
                                        Kevin Kileen 455k
                                        Steve O Dwyer 110k

Hansaraba (flying the irish flag but is not Irish) 278k
                                        Last edited by Flushdraw; 25-09-17, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                          My mate does the Art O'Neill challenge ultra every year, and loves it. I think he's done it 5 times now and him/his team are down to about the 9 hour mark. He also does 100k + races quite regularly
                                          Hmm,that does look pretty cool

Comment

Actually really don’t get the whole ultra endurance area, it’s bad for your health ,prob your joints too and makes you look like an inmate of a Siberian hard labor camp. Know some lads mad into Ironman who are always injured/sick and take perverse pride in training through it which fucks you up more.you gotta have some demons
                                            Would be far more impressed at a lad getting into running and pushing well under 20 mins in a 5k/40 in a 10k than some guy who isn’t that fit trundling along for a couple 100k pissing on himself and shitting on the side of the road as he goes
                                            Think 5k a couple of times a week is meant to be optimal for longevity. Although if those studies are anything like the studies for nutrition, that number is likely to change.

Comment

Although one of the co-leaders just quit.

Interesting move.
                                              Nicely executed Donnelly maneuver

Comment

You're all focussing on the effects running has on your physical body. People run for the immensely positive effect it has on their mental health.

I was out for a couple of pints on Sat night after running the half and I genuinely felt like I was after taking cocaine. I'm pretty much always in a positive mood.

Yes you get injured, and risk long term cartilidge damage, but I've never been fitter in my life physically either, toned muscle definition in my legs, and upper body, even have a six pack

Every single thing in life has some sort of negative effect, it's about ratios though. The positives of running far far outweigh any negatives.
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Go on Willie, tell us that time, love to know.

Comment

I don't think I'll ever get into ultras, maybe a 50k road someday, but not more than that. You'd have to commit fully to it I'd imagine, year round.

I love the short stuff too much. Gonna train for 5 and 10k races from Dec to June or July every year then switch to marathon from July to October and race Dublin.

Comment

What you you call well under 20?

A decent 5km time is all I want from cardio. But to get anywhere near 16mins you have to look a malnourished. id like to Beas fast as I can without giving up strength

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                        What you you call well under 20?

A decent 5km time is all I want from cardio. But to get anywhere near 16mins you have to look a malnourished. id like to Beas fast as I can without giving up strength
                                                        Ah you’re right,actually anywhere near 20,sure if you are anywhere under 25 you are probably way ahead of most

Comment

I don't think I'll ever get into ultras, maybe a 50k road someday, but not more than that. You'd have to commit fully to it I'd imagine, year round.

I love the short stuff too much. Gonna train for 5 and 10k races from Dec to June or July every year then switch to marathon from July to October and race Dublin.
                                                          Well that seems sensible,we’re talking about the 7 marathons in 7 days while blindfolded and pushing a fridge crowd though. 1 marathon a year gives your body plenty recovery

Get what you are saying re the buzz but you can get that without going anywhere near the self harm exertion some get into. Honestly think there’s an element of guys not liking not being competitive at 5k or 10k and going longer and longer to put themselves above people “only” running 10k.

Comment

Yeah definitely an element of that alright.

It does turn you into a bit of a junkie though, chasing that high I spoke about. Maybe it's just like drugs for some people they need to up the dose.

Comment

Nicely executed Donnelly maneuver
                                                              Very sinister bit of angle shooting IMO

You have a bunch of wannabee career politicians riding a populist bandwagon to cheat their way into the Bundestag by pretending to be a party that they weren't. Upshot is a few proper Nazis in the Bundestag.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Did the O'Neill a few years ago. A very tough slog starting at midnight in the middle of winter. Jesus, I so wasnt prepared for it even though I did some training for it. Awkward moment during it, was stopping for a piss half way through and falling asleep leaning against the tree..
                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Well that seems sensible,we’re talking about the 7 marathons in 7 days while blindfolded and pushing a fridge crowd though. 1 marathon a year gives your body plenty recovery

Get what you are saying re the buzz but you can get that without going anywhere near the self harm exertion some get into. Honestly think there’s an element of guys not liking not being competitive at 5k or 10k and going longer and longer to put themselves above people “only” running 10k.
                                                                  Got a good lol from this the other day, was sharing it with my friend who was intending on running his first DCM until he did his achilles last week... he wasn't quiet so amused

Pathetic excuse for man only runs half marathon

A FEEBLE loser has announced plans to run a pathetic 13 miles to derision from his friends, family and colleagues.

Comment

I'm hoping to do a version of this event early next year, sounds like a right good day out
                                                                    Inspired by the celebrated short story, The Swimmer is a regular half-marathon sporting event that takes in many of London’s finest parks and open-air pools. Richard Nelsson took the plunge

Comment

Pokerstars using a pic of the convention center is a bit misleading imo.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                        Did the O'Neill a few years ago. A very tough slog starting at midnight in the middle of winter. Jesus, I so wasnt prepared for it even though I did some training for it. Awkward moment during it, was stopping for a piss half way through and falling asleep leaning against the tree..
                                                                        Either you aren't the lad I thought you were or the lad I thought you were was a lot fitter and more active than I thought he was

Comment

Pokerstars using a pic of the convention center is a bit misleading imo.

Comment

Go on Willie, tell us that time, love to know.
                                                                            I'll give you a hint.

Where was Newton when he was beaned by the apple good..yeah yeah yeah yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                              Would a boiled egg without the yolk w/ 2 slices of soda bread and a cup of tea (no sugar, slimline milk) be a ‘good’ breakfast? As in.. not make me fat
                                                                              It won't make you fat. Won't do much of anything really. Eat the whole egg and try to find something to eat other than bread.

Comment

Some man....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                  I'll give you a hint.

Where was Newton when he was beaned by the apple good..yeah yeah yeah yeah.
                                                                                  Really???

Wowzers.

My dream is to do that before I'm 50.

Comment

Please tell more, what was your training etc..

Stick it in the running thread if you'd prefer

Comment

Mother is a pretty terrifying film, enjoyed nothing about it yet thought it was the best film of the year so far.
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Imperial - 40

But come on Strathclyde, Daughters college.

Comment

Would this phone work in Ireland? Seems like a good buy.

Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                            Would this phone work in Ireland? Seems like a good buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...H2L&ref=plSrch
                                                                                            Yeah but it is an Apple product. Apple and Good deal are not usually in the same sentence!

Comment

Jayz, a long time ago. Here TLDR
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              picture a time before the Celtic tiger , before the committments, before Demspseys den
                                                                                              dark days when lolpool were simply Liverpool . Willie lived in drimnagh with da mudder and siblings. Dick Hooper and Jerry Kiernan were household names. I was a sports addict, (drimnagh have many different addicts now). The ol running was a national craze

1st Maratthon, not a lot of training as I was superman (I thought) and decided a few runs to Joe Wongs and back every day would suuffice. It didn't and from Raheny home I walk jogged the last 6 miles home in the time it took me to run the previous 20.

2nd one. I decided too late and ran a poor time but ran it all at least

3rd one. I decided to train but felt shit the whole race and nearly dropped out (short version) Soniaitis ie the dodgy belly , effected me.

4th one. TRAINING (same as last year) sorry to disappoint we just went running nothing fancy

3 times a week from Rafters road to Joe Wongs, twice a week, to Newlands cross and back. Sometimes extend it to Rathcoole. kept that up until 2 month beforehand,
                                                                                              then some more of the Rathcoole run and less of the Newllands,
                                                                                              Never ran more that 16ish miles but a really fast pace, and always picked it up the last 1/2 mile. Loved that , flying down the long mile road like a real runner.

closer to the big run we (my running buddies) kept the runs small and , off to the manshion house for our numbers and goodie ags the night before. This 4th one I felt alive and excited and was up near the front of the multitude. 4 of us started together, me in my spina bifida vest (raised 90 quid..hero) . Great hearing people shouting come on spina bifida lads, the ol wans at Finglas half way mark singing run rabbit run rabbit run run run. I was flying. Struggled near howth even though the wind was behind me , coming around and near the green I was went for it as I knew my family were there to cheer on the skinny (was then) shaggy son home. In the middle of all those thick thighed me I floated to the line and was stunned and delight to break the time target.
                                                                                              Nothing here to learn, except my 10k times got slower after doing them.

Would love to take it up just for one more year but zero time these days.

Last edited by Solksjaer!; 25-09-17, 19:34. Reason: me bleeding b key keeps sticking

Comment

Yeah the running thread would love to hear tales of bloody but unbowed former or irregular runners!

Future runners and those who enjoy basking in the grim or the opportunity to rebuke and perhaps scoff are welcome too

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                  Mother is a pretty terrifying film, enjoyed nothing about it yet thought it was the best film of the year so far.
                                                                                                  It's a film I wouldn't recommend to anyone but I thought it was superb.
                                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Wondering does Trump know Mueller has the goods on him and he's just going to go full retard for whatever time he has left?
                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      Yeah but it is an Apple product. Apple and Good deal are not usually in the same sentence!
                                                                                                      ya im 50/50 on it mainly excellent reviews but if u click into the few bad reviews they are fairly bad. its for Chanel for xmas. if anyone knows or is selling an Iphone , 6, se or above for around 300 , let me know.
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

New 10 part documentary on the Vietnam war just started on BBC4. May be worth a watch.
                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Wondering does Trump know Mueller has the goods on him and he's just going to go full retard for whatever time he has left?
                                                                                                          Either the Military haven't really taken over the Presidency or they do want a nuclear war.
                                                                                                          Thats hard to believe... they have all watched Dr Strangelove haven't they? Maybe they have very strong back channels and are sure Pyongyang won't fire first.
                                                                                                          If Trump has somehow maneuvered himself back into power the chances of an accidental war are scarily high.

Comment

soz now for bombarding .... Mia looking for a gaming laptop, I am not spending more than 550

when I say gaming all she plays is the fucking Sims

this any good?
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

...
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

If Trump first came Into office and declared war on paedophiles, he'd probably be dead now.

Comment

A guy I know who was a regular marathon runner was away on holidays last week, went out for a short run came back to the feeling unwell and dropped dead.

Comment

I’d say trump would love to let a thermonuclear missile rip,he probably watches the vids on YouTube on loop (like me)
                                                                                                                      If it wasn’t for all the people who would die it would be pretty cool to see what a 1-2 megaton bomb would do to a modern high rise city.
                                                                                                                      If I’m thinking that you can guarantee that looper is (without the dead people disclaimer)

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                          Just on the warranty thing.

Irish law guarantees you can return goods for up to six years after purchase if they develop a fault. Thats the point I was getting at with Lazare the other week when he was saying his phone is out of warranty and he had to buy a new one (his phone definitely wasn't that old!). Was in the middle of something at the time so couldn't look up the

legislation.

People who sell you these electronics try to cover that obligation up by offering you their own warranty, but that doesn't remove your statutory warranty rights which can never be removed.

E.g. here's the Apple Ireland page explaining that. And here's the EU page showing that is the law in Ireland.

I think almost no-one knows this though.

So these people trying to include in their package that there's a two year warranty is attempting to deceive you, because you are already covered by a six-year warranty by law.
                                                                                                                          handy to know , doubt be any good for a 22 yr old who smashes her iphone screen at least one a month , not joking btw lol
                                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X