Starting from Scratch - Online Poker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting from Scratch - Online Poker

Started playing online in August 2010 & up until last July was a decent winning player with good(ish) BRM. Due to personal circumstances a break was taken & since then I haven't been applying myself even close to optimally with regards BRM/game selection etc and have basically been flittering money away in a pointless manner online. Nearly had a heart attack when I OPR'd myself for 2012 http://www.officialpokerrankings.com...DA870.html?t=2
    so made a decision to get back on the horse properly.

I started back on Tuesday but know the type of person I am so need something to keep me motivated & stop me falling into bad habits. Hence this, I'm starting from scratch online. Once I have something like this to report to it should keep me on the straight & narrow (till I bust ofc!). I am only a recreational player so will probably only be doing 3 nights a week.

Anyhow,

MTT's only with a 30BI rule to start and see where it goes.
    $5.50 & $11 games only (Ave $8.25)
    Starting Roll $250
    Rebuy Games allowed but strictly monitored
    4 table max
    Move up to $10/$20 buyins when/if 50BI rule is reached.

Accounts on Stars/Boyles/Irish Eyes/Ladbrokes but gonna start with Stars.

GL me
    Last edited by Dice75; 23-05-12, 21:44.

22/5/12

OB - $250
    CB - $258

5 MTTs played - waiting on OPR opt-in to see details

Comment

Pretty sure 30bi for MTTs isn't even close to enough...need more like 100.

Comment

23/5/2012

OB - $258
        CB - $507

6 MTT's played - again waiting on OPR opt-in to list

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Pretty sure 30bi for MTTs isn't even close to enough...need more like 100.
          Yeah- starting with a short 30BI rule to see - have reload money if required obv but at low-level I'm happy to start with 30 & see. Intend to stretch it out to 50 then 100 in the long term hopefully. All comments welcome though, cheers.

Comment

3x turbos super spin

Comment

Yeah I suppose if you're not doing it for a living and just looking to move up and get established at higher stakes then its the way to go.

Comment

Reckon you'll be up there in no time! Nice start too!!

Good luck with this Ciaran

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                  Yeah I suppose if you're not doing it for a living and just looking to move up and get established at higher stakes then its the way to go.
                  Problem I'd have is i'd look at the balance & struggle to stick to the plan if I saw 100BI's in cashier, I know myself too well!

Comment

Half heartedly started to do this a few weeks ago but losing all my money at Zoom got in the way You may inspire me to give it a proper go

gl with it

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                      Half heartedly started to do this a few weeks ago but losing all my money at Zoom got in the way You may inspire me to give it a proper go

gl with it
                      Come along for the ride.

Comment

24/5/12

OB - $507
                        CB - $433

8 MTTs this morning - 2 outered/raped all over the place. Gotta love poker

BBQ lunch time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                          MTT's only with a 30BI rule to start and see where it goes.
                          $5.50 & $11 games only (Ave $8.25)
                          Starting Roll $250
                          Rebuy Games allowed but strictly monitored
                          4 table max
                          Move up to $10/$20 buyins when/if 50BI rule is reached.
                          Gl with this , just wondering what exactly do you mean by the bolded part, have you a set limit of rebuys + addon or will you wing it, I ask because I know alot of recreational players who do their bankroll playing these, especially if your starting off a 30 buyin roll.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                            Gl with this , just wondering what exactly do you mean by the bolded part, have you a set limit of rebuys + addon or will you wing it, I ask because I know alot of recreational players who do their bankroll playing these, especially if your starting off a 30 buyin roll.
                            Not playing any 3x Games.

Playing the odd 2x Game ($3.30) with a Double Buyin & Topup = ($9.30)

Have played 3 of these so far & didn't see the break in one of them. Try & keep them at 1/10 of total games played max for the time being.

Comment

Are you just logging on and regging whatever games are in front of you or have you done up some sort of schedule?
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                Are you just logging on and regging whatever games are in front of you or have you done up some sort of schedule?
                                No schedule as I cant really commit to any specific days/nights/times.

When i know I have a window coming up I'll check the games & build a 5/10 game schedule around them.

Comment

Cool was just interested in your game selection and why your picking or not picking certain games
                                  airport, lol

Comment

Id be inclined to put in the boyle and PP added games even if they are over your bankroll.

As said 30 buyins is pretty tiny but not a huge issue when going broke doesnt really matter.

Id say the smaller networks may be better with a small roll as the variance wont be as much in play with the smaller fields.
                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                      Id be inclined to put in the boyle and PP added games even if they are over your bankroll.

As said 30 buyins is pretty tiny but not a huge issue when going broke doesnt really matter.

Id say the smaller networks may be better with a small roll as the variance wont be as much in play with the smaller fields.
                                      Not overly worried about variance/value. This is a back to basics lesson in long-term BRM which I think a lot of people overlook as a big part of poker.

I could easily throw a couple of $k online and fire away but thats not the point of this excercise.

Comment

Not overly worried about variance/value. This is a back to basics lesson in long-term BRM which I think a lot of people overlook as a big part of poker..
                                        Its huge and i never made any money out of poker until i managed to get that in my head. I probably regret when things were going well poker wise tho that i was overly cautious on BRM and didnt take a few more shots but whats done is done.
                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Sorry to derail Ciaran (& best of luck btw)

Enda is there any way to play on 2 ipoker skins to play the added money games on boyles & PP?

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
                                            Sorry to derail Ciaran (& best of luck btw)

Enda is there any way to play on 2 ipoker skins to play the added money games on boyles & PP?
                                            Sandboxie.
                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Not too sure on the 4 table max rule. Really be better getting up to 8 tables. I'd hammer all the stars 3,4 and 5$ MTTS. Try and at least stay to a 50 buyin rule. 100 is better. If u bink early have your 50 buyins on over 2 networks to try an remove temptation. Volume is hugely important especially on stars with the big fields. Move from there when u get to $20 buyins. Much softer elsewhere but Stars is perfect at the moment.
                                              Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

25/5/12

OB - $433
                                                CB - $456

10 MTT's played, few min cashes / 1 semi-deep. Running pretty bad so awaiting the flip side soon.
                                                Last edited by Dice75; 26-05-12, 09:56.

Comment

26/27/28 May

10/12 Mtts played, few small cashes.

Getting a bit more into the swing of cash MTTs from having been mainly playing Satelites.

OB - $456
                                                  CB - $452
                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 28-05-12, 15:54.

Comment

31/05/12

Played 28ish MTTs over the last 3 days. Not running/playing great (pretty horrific tbh) but happy to have stuck to the BI rule which was a struggle.

Summary since start - played roughly 85 MTT's with a grand profit of $15.70
                                                    (better than the banks )

Balance $265.70
                                                    Last edited by Dice75; 31-05-12, 11:18.

Comment

Not playing too regularly in June after the first week with Holidays/Euro's & Work.

Stuck to the buy-in rule (95% of the time) bar one Sunday playing a few $20 Sats so happy enough with that side of things considering I haven't had a regular pattern going.

Hoping to get a run from Sunday this week for a few days.

OB - $250
                                                      CB - $735

Last edited by Dice75; 29-06-12, 23:41.

Comment

Sunday 1st July

Played about a dozen MTTs. Took a couple of shots outside BR in Sunday Sats to dampen profit but dont mind the odd Sunday lapse.

Almost at 100 buyins now of ave $10

OB - $735
                                                        CB - $962

Comment

Mon/Tues

Played about 18 MTTs without much luck (few small cashes).

Took a shot in a UKIPT Sat this evening that looked like value & binked a £770 seat.

Took $250 out for flights/accomodation so any cash there goes back into pool.

OB - $962
                                                          CB - $561

UKIPT Newcastle to be played.

Comment

Took a break till Sunday.

Played about 6 tournies but was too wrecked from IPB pissup to go properly so called it a night early.

OB - $561
                                                            CB - $605

Comment

9/10/11th

Played 24 MTTs according to OPR with a grand profit of $9.

Soul destroying stuff but stuck to the BI rule bar one tourney ($55) which I satted into.

Taking an online break till next week as its a pain in the arse sometimes.

Starting Balance - $250

Current Balance - $614 (+ UKIPT Newcastle package @ $1240).
                                                              Last edited by Dice75; 11-07-12, 20:47.

Comment

12-24th

60 Mtts, €1k of buyins, $876 cashes.

Stuck to BRM pretty well bar one 3x turbo which accounts for most of the loss above.
                                                                Bad period really, close to a couple more UKIPT tickets @ $1200 each but hoping things turn around soon!

Balance $486 (+ UKIPT Newcastle package @ $1240).

Comment

GL with Bringing 3xturbos into a brm excercise

Its a sickness that cannot be cured

Gl with this, see you in newcastle

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                                                                    GL with Bringing 3xturbos into a brm excercise

Its a sickness that cannot be cured

Gl with this, see you in newcastle
                                                                    Please stop busting me on FT's

How do u fkn always have the kingers?

Comment

Please stop busting me on FT's

How do u fkn always have the kingers?
                                                                      skill.

Comment

25/7 - 9/8

Really haven't had much time to put much into this lately (40 Mtts in 16 days).

Stuck to buy-in rule pretty well bar one $50 3x Turbo spewoff & one $55 shot.

Resulted in a $52 loss for period.

Really need to find a few day window to put in some volume as playing here & there doesn't really concentrate the mind properly.

Balance $434 + Newcastle package

Comment

9/8 - 5/9

Didn't update this during August but results for dates above were -
                                                                          Buyins $740
                                                                          Returns $640

Took a 2 week break and resumed yesterday which yielded a $58 profit.

No cash in Newcastle means that Balance is now $392.

Wont be trying to qualify for UKIPT Bristol as away that weekend so all tourneys for the forseeable future will be normal MTTs and little satelites.

Comment

Haven't been updating this as regular as I should be.

Anyway, played a bit through Oct/Nov pretty much breakeven but sticking to the buyin rule.

Finally hit a bit of form in December.

Moved up to $10 buyins last week & moving up to $20's from tomorrow.

Also shipped a UKIPT Edinburgh ticket and took out $250 for flights/accom not included in running total. Also staked a few donkeys here in the Staking thread

Anyway -

OB - $250
                                                                            CB - $2079

+ Edinburgh trip ($1500).

Comment

#39
                                                                              Starting from scratch.

Don't post much, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c here as I'm in a similar situation myself. My advice would be to shell out a few quid on Tableninja and Hold'em manager (small stakes should do). Then spend some time getting used to them maybe at the 50c turbos on Stars something (which are super crushable by the by).

Then once you're comfortable with the software and have it set up to your liking take a shot at 10-20 tabling the $1.50 90 man KOs on stars maybe mixing in a few micro mtts aswell for the Big-Bink Factor, with a fairly TAG strat. I'd strongly advise on being conservative with your roll as I think it really plays a factor in how comfortable you are and hence how in control you are when playing, at least it does for me anyway!! Build up a nice cushion with these as they are really soft (I'm up around 150$ in them since the weekend) then take a shot at the $4.50 180s when you have around 80 buyins or so.

I really would suggest staying away from the 5$ -11$ mtts until you're roll is ready as I think they can be some of the most tilting tournaments on the internet and making a bad play or hitting some sick variance deep can really put you on a steamer for a session or 2.

Not to be dissin the IPB or anything, but take a look at the MTTSNG and Small Stakes MTT sections of 2+2, some really great stuff in there and a great pool of insight to take advantage of.

Also as an aside, if you do get TN and HEM, take a leaf out of Shaun Deeb's book and just don't watch the outcomes of hands and just focus on your decision making alot of the time and you may find this reduces tilt factor. I've started doin that and I really find it helps a bit.

Anyways good luck with it and keep us posted!!!
                                                                              Last edited by ClogBogger; 13-12-12, 04:15.

Comment

#40
                                                                                I look like a total fool now having read the rest of the thread, but all the same I think this is a sound enough response to the OP so I'll leave it up.

Good luck in Edinburgh!!

Comment

#41
                                                                                  13-21 Dec

Still playing some of my regular $5-$10 games but also stepping up to some $20-$33 games as well as satting into a few $55 & $109 games too.

Couple of deep runs which were close to yielding some decent money but up about $200 on approx $1.3k worth of buyins during the above period.

Have also moved some funds onto iPoker to be used for some live Sats (ACOP/EDS/IO).

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Grind stars.fr imo. Soft tourneys at those stakes plus the welcome bonus is sweet if you dont already have an account. Gl wp
                                                                                    Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    X