Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-13, 08:39   #1
Aya14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,232
Fitzpatrick’s (LIMK) closing card room?

I hear the card room is closing in two weeks.
As the last card room in Limerick this is a disaster. They really did run that place down with crazy charges. It also surely means the loss of jobs for several dealers. Sad really.
Aya14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 11:30   #2
Sickpuppy
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya14 View Post
I hear the card room is closing in two weeks.
As the last card room in Limerick this is a disaster. They really did run that place down with crazy charges. It also surely means the loss of jobs for several dealers. Sad really.
Sad to see a city the size of Limerick unable to have a cardroom.
Was the rake high there?
Sign of the times im afraid the country is bust.
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 12:10   #3
Aya14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
Sad to see a city the size of Limerick unable to have a cardroom.
Was the rake high there?
Sign of the times im afraid the country is bust.
I don't know of late but it had been capped at 3% for a long time
Aya14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 12:57   #4
thegreatiam
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: here
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya14 View Post
I don't know of late but it had been capped at 3% for a long time
was it a 3% rake with a cap?
3% is very low, how much was the cap?
thegreatiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 13:41   #5
Aya14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatiam View Post
was it a 3% rake with a cap?
3% is very low, how much was the cap?
Capped at 15 quid max

Afaik tournaments cease in two weeks and cash games are phasing out til the cash league finishes in May
Aya14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 13:45   #6
shano_88
Member
 
shano_88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: casatroi
Posts: 3,083
Sad to hear its closing. Havent played in there much over the last year or so but used to play in there quite a bit. Must pop in before it closes.
shano_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 14:08   #7
thegreatiam
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: here
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya14 View Post
Capped at 15 quid max

Afaik tournaments cease in two weeks and cash games are phasing out til the cash league finishes in May
Even with a 15 cap 3% is a small rake. smaller than almost 100% of places ive been.

and they are the only club in limerick? quite a surprise with such a low rake.

when you say "ran the place down with charges" can you clarify if this means you thought they weren't charging enough and that's why it closed or it was too high and they pushed out custom.
thegreatiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 22:54   #8
donkey34
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
The best way to describe that club is that IT IS A JOKE SHOP AND THE SO CALLED MANAGERS HAVEN'T A CLUE...............................
donkey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 01:35   #9
mugsy
straight arrow
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 600
yes one would think that limerick has a big enough poker playing community to keep at least 1 properly run card room going. I was only in the place twice ( not from limerick) where i played a small bit of cash later in the evening. Wouldnt go back .... not going into reason much but SLOW, UNWELCOMING RAN Like HOME GAME, POST MORTEMS FROM BAD PLAYERS THEMSELVES. I had the impression it was the same heads there all the time.

Plenty of people i know like a live game of cards in limerick but wouldnt go near that place. Maybe the casino is run bad but at the end of the day all to run a cash game is easy whatever about tournaments and gimmicks. Maybe the problem was closer to home
mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 14:06   #10
710suited
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
The real culprit

Nobody seems to have commented on the role that the previous GENERAL manager played in the closing of the poker room.The poker managers and dealers never had a chance of making a success of the poker room. He pulled the rug out from under the feet of lady poker manager while she was on holidays by undoing all the hard work she had done(he took away all guarantees and promotions that she had in place) and she came back to a crippled poker room again and had to suffer the abuse and the blame for his work.
Two day before he was due to leave he stopped to talk to me on the floor and asked me how things were.....i replied "good ..Jude has got the tournaments going well again and he has a cash game nearly every night".....He replied to me with a sneer on his face "Enjoy it while it lasts,Mr.XXX (one of the part owners of the club) wants that poker room closed and it will be".
So it appears now that he was that he was acting on behalf of this owner in aiding to close the poker room.....And now we know why he was kept there even after REPEATED complaints by customers and staff to the owners.....He was actually doing the job he was hired to do.
Unfortunately for the owners he has left a legacy and bad taste that wont be forgotten...

Last edited by 710suited; 12-04-13 at 14:08.
710suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 11:32   #11
Mcwilliams
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 710suited View Post
Nobody seems to have commented on the role that the previous GENERAL manager played in the closing of the poker room.The poker managers and dealers never had a chance of making a success of the poker room. He pulled the rug out from under the feet of lady poker manager while she was on holidays by undoing all the hard work she had done(he took away all guarantees and promotions that she had in place) and she came back to a crippled poker room again and had to suffer the abuse and the blame for his work.
Two day before he was due to leave he stopped to talk to me on the floor and asked me how things were.....i replied "good ..Jude has got the tournaments going well again and he has a cash game nearly every night".....He replied to me with a sneer on his face "Enjoy it while it lasts,Mr.XXX (one of the part owners of the club) wants that poker room closed and it will be".
So it appears now that he was that he was acting on behalf of this owner in aiding to close the poker room.....And now we know why he was kept there even after REPEATED complaints by customers and staff to the owners.....He was actually doing the job he was hired to do.
Unfortunately for the owners he has left a legacy and bad taste that wont be forgotten...
so you feel that the promotions that she introduced were a good thing from a business point of view. IMO if i was the owner of the club and i saw some of the promotions that were introduced id see the amount of money wasted in the poker room and id want to close it as well, maybe if the promotions had an element of common sense in them then maybe they'd have worked instead of costing the club money............so IMO the manager of the poker is to blame for wasting the owners money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-Fly
They basically had a promotion where a certain winning bet on a house game (I think it was mega texas hold em) resulted in a bonus (i.e. free entry to a poker tournament - i.e. a ticket worth €30). As far as I could tell, the promotion was massively +EV for the player and whoever came up with it obviously didn't even think about it. They pulled it after one night after losing too much. To be fair, i don't think you can blame them for pulling it. I just think it shows how incompetent some of the management can be to allow this promotion in the first place.

Jude did a great job in turning around the club after the toxic job that was done when he was on his "sabbatical", maybe if he was left run it they way he wanted then we wouldnt be in the situation we are in now.................

Last edited by Mcwilliams; 13-04-13 at 11:34.
Mcwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 13-04-13, 15:26   #12
710suited
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
it was succeeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcwilliams View Post
so you feel that the promotions that she introduced were a good thing from a business point of view. IMO if i was the owner of the club and i saw some of the promotions that were introduced id see the amount of money wasted in the poker room and id want to close it as well, maybe if the promotions had an element of common sense in them then maybe they'd have worked instead of costing the club money............so IMO the manager of the poker is to blame for wasting the owners money.




Jude did a great job in turning around the club after the toxic job that was done when he was on his "sabbatical", maybe if he was left run it they way he wanted then we wouldnt be in the situation we are in now.................
But it was making money when the promotions were in place....it was only while she was on holidays and the guarantees and promotions well pulled that it collapsed.

And i am not saying all the ideas were good but this girl was trying her best and feeling her way to see what would work best.

And in regards to the paying out of one of the promotions before it had ended....this was done in order to save the cash game....it was the BEST HAND OF THE MONTH promotion....the dealers had to collect a euro from the button on every hand to swell the pot for this.....so when 4 aces were got early in the month the players were not prepared to pay a euro each in every round to try to beat this hand and the game died completely for 2 weeks....so in the interest of the game the best hand was paid before the end of the month and the cash game started again.and this promotion was scrapped as one of the bad ideas (remember nobody is perfect ).....also the hand that was got afterwards by a player was a royal flush .....and the game where this hand was got would never have taken place if the promotion hadnt been payed out early .....so this point is N/A.
710suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 15:40   #13
Mcwilliams
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 710suited View Post
And i am not saying all the ideas were good but this girl was trying her best and feeling her way to see what would work best.
some people might say that Brian Cowen was a good boy and tried his best........... but the fact still remains that he is still made a bollix of things just like she did

all the points in my original post were my opinions and the opinions of others that i had spoken to, to say a point is n/a is a matter of opinion which you are entitled to express, but a lot of people would tend to disagree with it.

to make a card room work you need a manager with experience in that job, a person with common sense and someone who understands the players, IMHO she didnt tick any of these boxes.
Mcwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 15:56   #14
bantee
Member
 
bantee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 710suited View Post
But it was making money when the promotions were in place....it was only while she was on holidays and the guarantees and promotions well pulled that it collapsed.

And i am not saying all the ideas were good but this girl was trying her best and feeling her way to see what would work best.

And in regards to the paying out of one of the promotions before it had ended....this was done in order to save the cash game....it was the BEST HAND OF THE MONTH promotion....the dealers had to collect a euro from the button on every hand to swell the pot for this.....so when 4 aces were got early in the month the players were not prepared to pay a euro each in every round to try to beat this hand and the game died completely for 2 weeks....so in the interest of the game the best hand was paid before the end of the month and the cash game started again.and this promotion was scrapped as one of the bad ideas (remember nobody is perfect ).....also the hand that was got afterwards by a player was a royal flush .....and the game where this hand was got would never have taken place if the promotion hadnt been payed out early .....so this point is N/A.
Are you associated with the club trying to defend a retarded decision like that? Paying out was crazy given that a straight flush would have taken it and then lo and behold someone binks a royal! Absolute mental carry on but then again they probably knew it was closing and didn't give a shite.
bantee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-13, 01:50   #15
710suited
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantee View Post
Are you associated with the club trying to defend a retarded decision like that? Paying out was crazy given that a straight flush would have taken it and then lo and behold someone binks a royal! Absolute mental carry on but then again they probably knew it was closing and didn't give a shite.
are u stupid or just not able to read.....the players stopped playing....and would have stopped playing until the end of the month....until the promotion was paid out anyway....so it was in the interest of the players and the cash game that it was paid out early....
710suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 16:43   #16
EnzoScifo
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-Fly View Post
there was no mention of Jude in my post and if I recall correctly, I don't think he was around on said night? Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he was around. Fwiw though, I personally would be a big fan of Jude.

If this certain promotion was his idea, he got it right from the poker player's point of view but wrong from the casino's point of view. The final say on the promotion surely rested with one of the casino managers or bosses or whatever you want to call them, and if they allowed a clearly -EV bet to take place in their casino, then that has to be incompetent. The promotion was a HOUSE GAME promotion, not a poker promotion (the promotion was ON a house game, the prize was a poker prize)
The league play off was on a Saturday night where 2 players were allowed to substitute in for a play off (which was always against the rules). This was a decision taking by Carmen. When shuffle up and deal was announced I stopped the game from starting until the director on the night confirmed this through both herself and John (overall manager, well at least that was what he though he was) who both were not there. After another 30 mins waiting it was confirmed that we could play or leave (basically go fuck yourselves we are changing the rules because 1 of the players is managing us....) We played on, I bubbled to the same player.

On Sunday, I wrote (as in old school ink and paper ) and handed in a letter of complaint to John marked private about the situation.

On Monday when I walked in a dealer said to me "surprised to see you, though you would be home writing letters". This was also said at the table that night by the same sub above. I decided then that once my leagues were over I was finished with the club. I have been in 3 times this year to basically catch up on the regular's. These new promotions were started that night by Carmen. She called me aside at the start of the night and confirmed that (1) These new promo's were her idea and would run until end of the year, (2) John had told her to let the lads stay in the play off's, (3) That neither she nor John knew their own no subs rule even though everyone else did (4) That I could basically go fuck myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 710suited View Post
But it was making money when the promotions were in place....it was only while she was on holidays and the guarantees and promotions well pulled that it collapsed.

And i am not saying all the ideas were good but this girl was trying her best and feeling her way to see what would work best.

And in regards to the paying out of one of the promotions before it had ended....this was done in order to save the cash game....it was the BEST HAND OF THE MONTH promotion....the dealers had to collect a euro from the button on every hand to swell the pot for this.....so when 4 aces were got early in the month the players were not prepared to pay a euro each in every round to try to beat this hand and the game died completely for 2 weeks....so in the interest of the game the best hand was paid before the end of the month and the cash game started again.and this promotion was scrapped as one of the bad ideas (remember nobody is perfect ).....also the hand that was got afterwards by a player was a royal flush .....and the game where this hand was got would never have taken place if the promotion hadnt been payed out early .....so this point is N/A.
It's amazing that the same sub above is the same person who got paid out mid month on the jackpot. Again, he managed the management with the same bullshit above. I have no issue with him, he looked for things and they gave them to him.

By the way since private does not mean much. I was talking over a pint with someone about Jude's return. I said I was delighted he was back but gave out about how many got paid on his 1st night back (I told him this). I also said that nothing had changed and he was his usual over the top self (which was a good thing). A couple of nights later I was asked by herself to submit a complaint as she was not happy he was back and that they could start the process of official warnings if I would do this. I told her to go fuck herself.
EnzoScifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 13-04-13, 17:32   #17
Jam-Fly
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoScifo View Post
The league play off was on a Saturday night where 2 players were allowed to substitute in for a play off (which was always against the rules). This was a decision taking by Carmen. When shuffle up and deal was announced I stopped the game from starting until the director on the night confirmed this through both herself and John (overall manager, well at least that was what he though he was) who both were not there. After another 30 mins waiting it was confirmed that we could play or leave (basically go fuck yourselves we are changing the rules because 1 of the players is managing us....) We played on, I bubbled to the same player.

On Sunday, I wrote (as in old school ink and paper ) and handed in a letter of complaint to John marked private about the situation.

On Monday when I walked in a dealer said to me "surprised to see you, though you would be home writing letters". This was also said at the table that night by the same sub above. I decided then that once my leagues were over I was finished with the club. I have been in 3 times this year to basically catch up on the regular's. These new promotions were started that night by Carmen. She called me aside at the start of the night and confirmed that (1) These new promo's were her idea and would run until end of the year, (2) John had told her to let the lads stay in the play off's, (3) That neither she nor John knew their own no subs rule even though everyone else did (4) That I could basically go fuck myself.
I didn't comment on the subs issue, my post was about that mega texas promo where if u got a straight or better (or something similar) you won a ticket worth €30 for a tournament. I felt this example best demonstrated the simple incompetence of the management.


On the subs issue in that league, from someone effectively on the outside looking in (since I wasn't involved in the league and rarely played tournaments), it seemed like it was another case of inconsistent rulings and incompetent management. I was always under the impression that subs were never allowed in league play offs so to change what seemed to be a house rule on a whim seemed like a joke. However, I doubt any of this was in writing anywhere which was the biggest killer for me. Nothing was ever in black and white, it was always "common knowledge" rulings and procedures. The problem with common knowledge rulings is that they're open to abuse and change since there's no standard to work off.
Jam-Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-13, 02:18   #18
710suited
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoScifo View Post
The league play off was on a Saturday night where 2 players were allowed to substitute in for a play off (which was always against the rules). This was a decision taking by Carmen. When shuffle up and deal was announced I stopped the game from starting until the director on the night confirmed this through both herself and John (overall manager, well at least that was what he though he was) who both were not there. After another 30 mins waiting it was confirmed that we could play or leave (basically go fuck yourselves we are changing the rules because 1 of the players is managing us....) We played on, I bubbled to the same player.

On Sunday, I wrote (as in old school ink and paper ) and handed in a letter of complaint to John marked private about the situation.

On Monday when I walked in a dealer said to me "surprised to see you, though you would be home writing letters". This was also said at the table that night by the same sub above. I decided then that once my leagues were over I was finished with the club. I have been in 3 times this year to basically catch up on the regular's. These new promotions were started that night by Carmen. She called me aside at the start of the night and confirmed that (1) These new promo's were her idea and would run until end of the year, (2) John had told her to let the lads stay in the play off's, (3) That neither she nor John knew their own no subs rule even though everyone else did (4) That I could basically go fuck myself.



It's amazing that the same sub above is the same person who got paid out mid month on the jackpot. Again, he managed the management with the same bullshit above. I have no issue with him, he looked for things and they gave them to him.

By the way since private does not mean much. I was talking over a pint with someone about Jude's return. I said I was delighted he was back but gave out about how many got paid on his 1st night back (I told him this). I also said that nothing had changed and he was his usual over the top self (which was a good thing). A couple of nights later I was asked by herself to submit a complaint as she was not happy he was back and that they could start the process of official warnings if I would do this. I told her to go fuck herself.
Sad ,Sad men.......I got nothing i wasnt entitled to.....if u read it properly u will understand it.....and i was asked as a friend to be a sub on the night only after he heard that there was already one sub in....anf if ye think that a few members boycotting had anything to do with the closure your wrong......it was one of the owners decision a long time ago and it was always going to happen....just took longer than they thought....and by the way taking free shots and trying to upset a young woman in her present condition makes ye really sad men....or maybe i should leave out the "men" part...
710suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 16:11   #19
Jam-Fly
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcwilliams View Post
Jude did a great job in turning around the club after the toxic job that was done when he was on his "sabbatical", maybe if he was left run it they way he wanted then we wouldnt be in the situation we are in now.................
there was no mention of Jude in my post and if I recall correctly, I don't think he was around on said night? Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he was around. Fwiw though, I personally would be a big fan of Jude.

If this certain promotion was his idea, he got it right from the poker player's point of view but wrong from the casino's point of view. The final say on the promotion surely rested with one of the casino managers or bosses or whatever you want to call them, and if they allowed a clearly -EV bet to take place in their casino, then that has to be incompetent. The promotion was a HOUSE GAME promotion, not a poker promotion (the promotion was ON a house game, the prize was a poker prize)
Jam-Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-13, 23:43   #20
curehead
Member
 
curehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 93
I like smiley faces 😄
__________________
curehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:48.