Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Belfast for the snooker final. Watching Ronnie do his thing live is something special. Outrageous standard from both players.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      I dunno... there is definitely some quite nasty bullying going on.
      I guess any kid who is hasg cringeworthy behaviour posted widely online is going to be open to some abuse but this case appears acceptable to all the neckbeards and wannabee SJW's because he is middle class.
      Didn't know the lad was named, and haven't seen the bullying. Nothing wrong with what they were at, bullying is unwarranted.

However, going back to your earlier question, these future captains of industry, benefitters of future open doors are much better placed to deal with a few days of viral slagging of their accents than say a kid from Darndale is.

Your question is a little obscene frankly.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            Didn't know the lad was named, and haven't seen the bullying. Nothing wrong with what they were at, bullying is unwarranted.

However, going back to your earlier question, these future captains of industry, benefitters of future open doors are much better placed to deal with a few days of viral slagging of their accents than say a kid from Darndale is.

Don't think this is fair. Comes across like theres a chip on your shoulder.

So because these kids parents are wealthy, and the wealth they've earned will provide their kids with more opportunities in life that they are better placed to deal with bullying (viral slagging = bullying)?

You've basically made Strewels point for him.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              Don't think this is fair. Comes across like theres a chip on your shoulder.

So because these kids parents are wealthy, and the wealth they've earned will provide their kids with more opportunities in life that they are better placed to deal with bullying (viral slagging = bullying)?

You've basically made Strewels point for him.
              Assuming there's bullying, I've not seen it, I've seen people slag off an anonymous kid's accent.

Of course a wealthy kid with all the support that wealth provides is better placed to deal with it.

Bit ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Comment

What are the origins of that accent? How long has that been around?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Very few young people who have any type of open door imo. Maybe at the very high level - when people have made their way up to exec level it might help a bit.

The problem is not really that some people have open doors, but rather its a bit more difficult, in business anyway, for people with certain accents. I think particularly the North Dublin accent. So yeah, that kid from Darndale will struggle a bit, unfairly. And will probably have loads of dodgy experiences growing up that means they never even get to apply for the jobs that the kid from Blackrock gets to apply for.

Its not a Blackrock thing though, its a Darndale thing. So not sure its fair game to target the kid in Blackrock who probably has the same life problems as everyone else. Gov should obv work more on fixing that problem in Darndale, but tbh those areas send in loopers into the dail who will never get into power and so govs are only half-assed to chase their votes by putting proper effort into their communities.
                  Blackrock college kids and Darndale kids do not have the same life problems. Sorry.

Every single kid in Blackrock college has open doors ahead of them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      What are the origins of that accent? How long has that been around?
                      Don't know the origins but it's been around a decent amount of time. You can hear the twang in Bob Geldofs accent.

Was bizarre to hear the call. I went to Blackrock college and live nearby but it's been a long time since I've heard the 'pure' goys version of it

Comment

They really don't. They have less problems, rather than more advantages. I'm not sure having less problems is something to be abusive to people about. The solution is rather to work on making sure other people also have less problems.
                        As someone who went there I feel like I definitely had a leg up in a general sense. Not quite 'open doors' but the very fact the school has always had such a high rate of students who went on to third level is always going to give more options.

Going there certainly doesn't guarantee you're going to be rich but I've definitely had fewer hurdles to get over than others

Comment

Less problems, more advantages. Basically the same thing.

Lazares post, and maybe he didn't mean it this way, but the tone of the post certainly made it seem like the chap being bullied (or virally slagged, or slagged or whatever semantics we want to argue over) should be well able for it because his parents are rich.

Which is bullshit.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

No idea what you mean by the question being obscene but your idea that everyone who goes to Blackrock becomes a Captain of Industry (Copyright Blackrock old boy Paul Murphy) and is somehow more able to handle bullying is as chippy and inverted snobbish as it is wrong.
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

They really don't. They have less problems, rather than more advantages. I'm not sure having less problems is something to be abusive to people about. The solution is rather to work on making sure other people also have less problems.
                                Less problems = more advantages

Whoahh there now though, who said it's cool to be abusive to people?

Comment

Think they're quite distinct. One implies a group of people being given special treatment, the other involves a group of people being given shite treatment. If you assume the first you get angry towards that 'special treatment' group, if you assume the second you get angry towards the system that allows that to exist. People should be getting angry towards the system and not towards kids who happen to have lucked into decent upbringings.
                                  Fair point. I intuitively agree with this.

I think Lazares point was more that it was "easier" for kids from Blackrock, which is probably objectively true (whether its due to advantages or less problems).

That said, his tone that because its easier means they should be well able to deal with bullying is horsecrap. To put it in your words, Kids who happen to have lucked into decent upbringings should be well able to handle online bullying.

Comment

Comment

Took a massive step towards being a hardcore rightwinger there last week, went and did my firearms course and am applying for my gun license.

The goal here is to go deer/elk hunting during next years season.
                                      Ugh! Is there really nothing better that you could be doing with your spare time than excecuting animals? I've always found those involved in hunting to be rather strange individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Silly Gilly View Post
                                        Ugh! Is there really nothing better that you could be doing with your spare time than excecuting animals? I've always found those involved in hunting to be rather strange individuals.
                                        No. There isn't unfortunately.

Blood is all that drives me now.

Comment

No. There isn't unfortunately.

Blood is all that drives me now.
                                          That's unfortunate both for yourself and the animals involved.

Comment

The faux working class Jackeen howarya accent laid on with a trowel by a whole generation of artsy left leaning kids (epitomised by the likes of the lads in the hugely talented Lankum ) is every bit as comical as the D4 RO'CK accent.

As we can hear from listening to radio archives accents change very fast but whole tribes of kids almost consciously adopting and comically overdoing a caricature of an accent that exists more in popular culture and the media than in the real world is a new development.
                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 17-11-19, 22:44.

Comment

Fair point. I intuitively agree with this.

I think Lazares point was more that it was "easier" for kids from Blackrock, which is probably objectively true (whether its due to advantages or less problems).

That said, his tone that because its easier means they should be well able to deal with bullying is horsecrap. To put it in your words, Kids who happen to have lucked into decent upbringings should be well able to handle online bullying.
                                              Sigh. I never once said these kids should be well able to handle bullying.

I was responding to this question..

Absolute cringe but...
                                              Whats the difference between bullying people because their families are wealthy and bullying people because their families are poor?
                                              Wealthy people, with all the supports that wealth provides are better placed to deal with life's hurdles than poorer people. Can we agree that that's a fact without foaming at the mouth that anybody is promoting class warfare?

The question is obscene.

Comment

Sigh away. The tone of it certainly read that way.

Comment

FWIW I think if it was the same carry on, but with a bunch of buckos from Darndale or hard rural Kerry (lol Im gonna catch heat for this), or wherever then the point of ridicule would be the same.

Funny accent and funny behaviour.

Comment

Last edited by Theresa; 17-11-19, 22:49. Reason: double post

Comment

I guess any kid who is hasg cringeworthy behaviour posted widely online is going to be open to some abuse but this case appears acceptable to all the neckbeards and wannabee SJW's because he is middle class.
                                                      Don’t worry they’ll get their revenge in a few years paving over the neckebeard/sjws local neighbourhood dive pub/jacking the rent up/ eating Pizza when their supposed to be auditing accounts of a too big to fail bank

Comment

Jaysis, some weekend in Galway/Clare. Montpellier bate, lobsters consumed and a swim in the Atlantic. Marmelised.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

4/4 Irish wins in the HC this weekend. Doing something right.

Comment

FWIW I think if it was the same carry on, but with a bunch of buckos from Darndale or hard rural Kerry (lol Im gonna catch heat for this), or wherever then the point of ridicule would be the same.

Funny accent and funny behaviour.
                                                            If it was a bunch of buckos from Darndale raucously diving into a Ko Samui pool at midnight lengthing and sending the commentary would be similar to that of Hurricane Katrina when the black folk carrying supplies were called looters and the whites were doing all they could to provide.

Privilege.

Comment

Sigh. I never once said these kids should be well able to handle bullying.

I was responding to this question..

Wealthy people, with all the supports that wealth provides are better placed to deal with life's hurdles than poorer people. Can we agree that that's a fact without foaming at the mouth that anybody is promoting class warfare?

The question is obscene.
                                                              Depends on the hurdle/problem

Tarquin's tend towards useless at keeping there mouths shut in situations where lads from poorer areas know when to shut up and leave the room

ooh and..
                                                              Republic... therefore we only have a caste (class) system if we choose to impose it on ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                Jaysis, some weekend in Galway/Clare. Montpellier bate, lobsters consumed and a swim in the Atlantic. Marmelised.
                                                                Did ya film it to share with Rog from the office?

If not, no-one cares

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                  Depends on the hurdle/problem

Tarquin's tend towards useless at keeping there mouths shut in situations where lads from poorer areas know when to shut up and leave the room

ooh and..
                                                                  Republic... therefore we only have a caste (class) system if we choose to impose it on ourselves
                                                                  We have a caste system people just pretend we dont

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                    We have a caste system people just pretend we dont
                                                                    na, we have a caste system because people decided to play along... to pretend we do

Easily fixed when compared to England

People need to stop calling themselves working class for a start

& and very few people in Ireland live with enough money/without debt to call themselves middle anything

imo

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                      As someone who went there I feel like I definitely had a leg up in a general sense. Not quite 'open doors' but the very fact the school has always had such a high rate of students who went on to third level is always going to give more options.

Going there certainly doesn't guarantee you're going to be rich but I've definitely had fewer hurdles to get over than others
                                                                      I'd say the Horseplay was EPIC .

Comment

Less problems, more advantages. Basically the same thing.

Lazares post, and maybe he didn't mean it this way, but the tone of the post certainly made it seem like the chap being bullied (or virally slagged, or slagged or whatever semantics we want to argue over) should be well able for it because his parents are rich.

Which is bullshit.
                                                                        Is it bullying? I thought it was funny just due to the innocence of the poor fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Is it bullying? I thought it was funny just due to the innocence of the poor fella.
                                                                          I agree although you'd have to ask yer man.

The point of my post was to highlights that its ridiculous to think that someones parents wealth makes them more or less able to deal with bullying.

Comment

This from the man who literally invented the epithet 'Rich Boy Barrett'?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                              I hope you don't take my Kerry accent comment to heart. You are one of the good guys!

That Dobby fella though...

Comment

can;'t believe ye are getting reeled in by Strewelpeter defending a bunch of D4 gobshites acting the arseholes in Thailand.
                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

The more I think about it. The more the Democracts are fucking themselves with these impeachement hearings... yet there is nothing else to be done.

This goes one of two ways:

1. Public sentiment turns, Republicans get worried and force Trump to resign. Pence takes over. Maybe Dems go after him too because he's obviously compromised. He resigns and then we see who they run in 2020. If they don't I think they run someone else in 2020 anyway.

2. Republicans stick by Trump because they believe the public doesn't care enough. They are safe enough.

In either of these circumstances if Biden is the dem candidate in 2020 he gets eviscerated. Hunter and Burisma will be all over the news. Clearly something sketchy is going on there, or was, and even if not... that wont matter to the Republican spin machine and any even remotely right leaning voter.

So do they run Biden? if they don't is it Sanders or Warren? They need to run someone who is bulletproof from a moral and ethical standpoint and then... that person needs to be acceptable to the middle. Does that person exist?

Comment

A bunch of young lads acting the clown on holidays. Well that's never happened before. Its pretty tame stuff tbf. Its about the lowest rung of the ladder of things to get upset by. Really can't understand why the cringey voice message and comical accent generate so many eyerolls on twitter in the first place.

Comment

Its Rich Boyd Barrett and Posh Boy Murphy

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                      can;'t believe ye are getting reeled in by Strewelpeter defending a bunch of D4 gobshites acting the arseholes in Thailand.
                                                                                      Ah howerrya Zod me oul segotia did ya have some nice coddle for your dinna, good to hear from ya, shure you're da heart of the rowl.

Accents have gone to shite since Niall Tobin died.

Comment

Think they're quite distinct. One implies a group of people being given special treatment, the other involves a group of people being given shite treatment.
                                                                                        I think that line is the problem in your logic. It doesn't imply that at all.
                                                                                        Better in the better situation is an advantage - regardless as to whether its due to your own positive treatment, or somebody else's negative treatment.

I seen the clip. I don't see what the fuss was about.
                                                                                        Making fun of somebody's accent for no reason, other than collective jealously, isn't right. But I'm not sure if I'd call it bullying if they "victim" is blissfully unaware. But obviously, different story if they are aware.

Comment

I think lads are at their peak twat at that age anyway. Add into the mixture the D4 inbred self importance without the intelligence to back it up in many cases and in the case of the kid in the voice a hilarious lack of self awareness and you get a very cringey voice note. Life experience and a few set backs generally knocks that out of most of them.
                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Having brekkie in a cafe and the 2 lads beside my would deffo pass for those Blacrock guys aul lads. Its all Adare Manor, massages, my new clubs, Mercs guzzling diesel etc etc....only difference is the accent seems to mature into a more Denis O' brien version (no idea where he is from originally).

Comment

I thought you were debating Prince Andrew being bullied into giving that interview.
                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

All the significant happenings in the world and it's this that sparks us into heated debate. Who'd a thunk it?

Comment

The more I think about it. The more the Democracts are fucking themselves with these impeachement hearings... yet there is nothing else to be done.

This goes one of two ways:

1. Public sentiment turns, Republicans get worried and force Trump to resign. Pence takes over. Maybe Dems go after him too because he's obviously compromised. He resigns and then we see who they run in 2020. If they don't I think they run someone else in 2020 anyway.

2. Republicans stick by Trump because they believe the public doesn't care enough. They are safe enough.

In either of these circumstances if Biden is the dem candidate in 2020 he gets eviscerated. Hunter and Burisma will be all over the news. Clearly something sketchy is going on there, or was, and even if not... that wont matter to the Republican spin machine and any even remotely right leaning voter.

So do they run Biden? if they don't is it Sanders or Warren? They need to run someone who is bulletproof from a moral and ethical standpoint and then... that person needs to be acceptable to the middle. Does that person exist?
                                                                                                  Sondland this week will be very interesting. Political appointee, gave $1m to Trump and was at the heart of the shakedown.

Very much looks as though he'll be prioritising his own ass over Trump.

Which will pretty much prove the case (already fairly rock solid) that Trump made military aid to an ally conditional on digging dirt on Biden.

The question really is will that cause any Senate Republicans to flip? Or indeed Trump voters.

Comment

I hope you don't take my Kerry accent comment to heart. You are one of the good guys!

I wouldn't be too worried about people from anywhere in Ireland slagging the accent of people from anywhere else in Ireland tbf. As they go I wouldn't be in a big rush to swap mine for too many of the other varieties floating around!

Comment

Comment

Tory majority now 2/5 (was evens when the campaign kicked off)...

Comment

Can AJ plwase give the short version of what happens if we lose tonight re playoffs etc and how playoffs work (if we are even in them?)

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about people from anywhere in Ireland slagging the accent of people from anywhere else in Ireland tbf. As they go I wouldn't be in a big rush to swap mine for too many of the other varieties floating around!
                                                                                                            The worst accent is the Danish one in my view but then I'm thinking musically. Certain culchie accents are nice but maybe I'm influenced by the foxy wimmin that use them. You are right though slagging accents is fine. 2019 is up it's own arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              Can AJ plwase give the short version of what happens if we lose tonight re playoffs etc and how playoffs work (if we are even in them?)
                                                                                                              Broken down here:

We're guaranteed a playoff spot if we don't win tonight but who we play will depend on how Wales do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                Broken down here:

We're guaranteed a playoff spot if we don't win tonight but who we play will depend on how Wales do.
                                                                                                                Cant read that as you have to login. Are the playoffs just a 2 leg job or rounds? Prob unlikely to get anyone we can beat bar jamming it to penos anyway.

Comment

Some absolutely crazy footage in this thread..

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                    Cant read that as you have to login. Are the playoffs just a 2 leg job or rounds? Prob unlikely to get anyone we can beat bar jamming it to penos anyway.
                                                                                                                    There's no home/away legs involved. We get put into a pot of 4 teams and it's a straight knockout with 2 semis (higher ranked team plays at home) and a final.

e.g.:

If wales win, the League B play-off semis would be Bosnia v Northern Ireland and Slovakia v Ireland.

Comment

Potential winner takes all away trip to Belfast.

Mrs Lao Lao already nervous as she reckons there could be killings up there and I'd defo be going (once we got a ticket of course)

Told her, it'll be grand, we'll beat the Danes tonight...

Comment

It's fairly shocking that Ireland have scored less goals than games played in this group, especially considering one of those sides contains a team where players have day jobs aside from football and set a record for most goals conceded last campaign.

Only hope tonight is one of those 1-0's where we surrender like 75% of the ball and frustrate the living daylights out of Denmark. If they score early I could easily see a repeat of the trouncing they gave here before.
                                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                          It's fairly shocking that Ireland have scored less goals than games played in this group, especially considering one of those sides contains a team where players have day jobs aside from football and set a record for most goals conceded last campaign.

Only hope tonight is one of those 1-0's where we surrender like 75% of the ball and frustrate the living daylights out of Denmark. If they score early I could easily see a repeat of the trouncing they gave here before.
                                                                                                                          If we score early could be the same too! 93rd min into the mixer and pigball it into the net our best chance.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X