Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time playing live poker

Hi lads

Looking for some advice for first time playing poker Live..

Where would you recommend around Dublin and any tips for first time playing live instead of online?

Thanks

Originally posted by Srdb View Post
    Hi lads

Looking for some advice for first time playing poker Live..

Where would you recommend around Dublin and any tips for first time playing live instead of online?

Thanks
    Jp poker in Tallaght. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. It was the first place I played in Dublin and I'd always recommend it.

If you're nervous, just mention when you register that you've never played live before and the dealer will help you along, players are patient too and won't put you under pressure.

Comment

Thanks very much I'll definitely check it out.

Comment

Also, the Fitz has a twenty five euro Freezeout every Saturday night at 9pm that is is very beginner friendly.

In terms of tips, just relax and enjoy it. Everyone has to start somewhere! I remember the first time I went to play poker live I was literally terrified...there really is nothing to be worried about.

Comment

One thing to note that you might not realise, is that poker chips are disgusting. Germs upon germs upon germs. Make sure you wash your hands before you touch food, and try not to touch your mouth too much while playing.

Eat something before you play, and don't go playing feeling hungry. It could be a long time and you'll need to stay sharp, so get a good night's kip the night before and keep yourself hydrated during the game.

As the others said, just relax and enjoy it. Give a few chips at home, and practice holding them, stacking them, putting them into the pot etc. Just to give yourself an idea. That first hand you win when playing live will be a big adrenaline buzz and you might struggle to collect the pot and stack the chips.

You'll also need to keep a better track of the pot and other people's stacks. Not to point out the obvious, but you don't need to do it online so it might take a bit of time to adjust to live play. Skip the earphones and the phone for your first few visits and watch, listen and learn when you're not in a hand. Always follow the action and don't act out of turn.

Don't be a cnut at the table, and just smile and ignore anyone that is. You get the mouthy types at a lot of games, but don't let them put you off your stride. It's very easy to play passively and scared against a guy that is aggressively making a lot of noise, but don't let his tactics win.

Just go about your business and try to play the best you can. Don't worry about any mistakes, and just try to learn from them. It really won't be as bad you might imagine, and you'll enjoy it if you can put a decent run together. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
            One thing to note that you might not realise, is that poker chips are disgusting. Germs upon germs upon germs. Make sure you wash your hands before you touch food, and try not to touch your mouth too much while playing.
            This is so true! I would add, if you go to the toilet wash your hands before AND after - unfortunately a lot of players do neither of the two
            "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Working...
            X