Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealer error?

Situation:
    On the river player A bets player B raises -player A exclaims 'oh' in surprise (and delight) at this raise. Dealer mishears and thinks he said NO(as in fold) and pushes pot towards player B who exposes his cards.

Player A, who clearly holds his cards, quickly points out the mistake.

What is the ruling where/if:-

1. Player B has mucked his cards?
    2. Player B has taken in the chips?

The first thing I would have done as the dealer anyway, is made sure that the intention was to fold and asked the player has he folded before pushing the pot and if so mucked his hand. The pot shouldn't be passed until player A's cards are in the muck.

Player B opening his hand even though its not a showdown is something I would rarely do, but in this case i would probably rule that his hand is still live and action is back on Player A, interesting to see what others think though because is really is a clear dealer error.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
      Situation:
      On the river player A bets player B raises -player A exclaims 'oh' in surprise (and delight) at this raise. Dealer mishears and thinks he said NO(as in fold) and pushes pot towards player B who exposes his cards.

LTL got it dead it dead on for the situation described above.

Question 1- Player B's hand is dead when his cards are irretrievable from the muck. This has no bearing on this situation as B loses anyway.

Question 2- This takes some skill and composure from the TD. Obv player A is gonna raise here, but with the chips in B's stack and the betting still open here's what to do. Reconstruct all betting in the hand. Starting from the top down is the easiest way, so start with the blinds and 1st street, then 2nd street and so on until the river play and the final action. Most of the attentive players will be able to remember what happened, as well as a good dealer.
      So now you have the correct amount of chips back out of B's stack and the action is back on A who min raises etc etc. . .

Dealers should have 1 live hand only, before they push the pot. KITN for those that don't.

C

Comment

Dealer must be not very experienced. The pot should not be pushed towards anyone until a showdown or until someone has mucked their hand.

Comment

In the second situation player A deserves to lose the pot for being enough of a moron to let the player muck his hand, the dealer reach for the pot and push it over to the other player and the other player to start stacking his chips before saying anything. Surely anyone with a brain immediately says something if he notices the dealers hands going anywhere near the pot, never mind starts pushing the pot to the player?
          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
            In the second situation player A deserves to lose the pot for being enough of a moron to let the player muck his hand, the dealer reach for the pot and push it over to the other player and the other player to start stacking his chips before saying anything. Surely anyone with a brain immediately says something if he notices the dealers hands going anywhere near the pot, never mind starts pushing the pot to the player?
            Once the dealer riffles the first shuffle for the next hand all claims for the pot are gone. In this incident if the dealer hasn't riffled then player B still has claim to the pot.

Comment

Even if a player says "no" this isn't a fold until the cards are in the muck. "Fold" is the only binding verbal declaration.
              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys-pretty much confirmation of my thoughts.

Oh Sledgehammer stop being a prick with your presumptuous reply-I had top house and assure you I couldn't move any faster. All actions were still open to me but as other player had exposed his trips I, in interests of the game and knowing the player, just called.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys-pretty much confirmation of my thoughts.

Oh Sledgehammer stop being a prick with your presumptuous reply-I had top house and assure you I couldn't move any faster. All actions were still open to me but as other player had exposed his trips I, in interests of the game and knowing the player, just called.
                  How come some other players at the table thought you had said "No"
                  I'll tell you why.......... cos you were chewing gum

hope Fox is reading this

Comment

Situation:

clearly both players still hold their cards here
                    so,
                    ruling is easy
                    the pot remains in the centre of the table
                    the action is on player A
                    he has the option to call or fold
                    he CANNOT raise the pot
                    its a pity about the error but this is the fairest option
                    if he calls, then there is a showdown