Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok im brand new to Irish Poker Boards and just looking for some advice from fellow players that grind alot of hours online.
    Firstly I have only been playing a year or so and am quiet happy at the moment with how my game is progressing..:-)
    I want to get into both live and online multi table tournaments in a big way.
    My buy in range for online tourneys will be from $20 - $100 with the odd temptation to play some of the big games that do be on various poker sites every sunday, preferably I'd love to win entry to those via satellite...lol
    Any advice at all as in bankroll, best sites to play on, etc etc would be muchly appreciated!

Comment

Welcome to IPB,

For MTT in my opinion has to be the Market leader PokerStars
      Excellent range and registration fee's compared to other sites

With all the problems going on with iPoker if your serious about grinding I think you'd be better of staying away until fixed even though its a full fish tank

As for bankroll I think you certainly should be using a 50 buy-in rule bankroll for MTT's
      (i.e. Your playing $20 games you should have $1k bankroll)

By being tempted to play the bigger games on Sunday's you just causing yourself pain, they're always going to be there waiting for you when you have the bankroll for them

Good luck at the tables
      Last edited by Donkathon; 08-01-13, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
        Welcome to IPB,

For MTT in my opinion has to be the Market leader PokerStars
        Excellent range and registration fee's compared to other sites

With all the problems going on with iPoker if your serious about grinding I think you'd be better of staying away until fixed even though its a full fish tank

As for bankroll I think you certainly should be using a 50 buy-in rule bankroll for MTT's
        (i.e. Your playing $20 games you should have $1k bankroll)

By being tempted to play the bigger games on Sunday's you just causing yourself pain, they're always going to be there waiting for you when you have the bankroll for them

Good luck at the tables
        Thank you for your words of wisdom, much appreciated

Comment

Stars is also the toughest highest variance site to play. Grinding and bumhunting the softer smaller field euro sites would be more advisable.

$20 to $100 tournaments is serious stuff and $300 to $1k a day spend is the norm for that level multitabling so a large bankroll or staking deal is required for those levels.

My advice would be to get yourself sorted on the French sites and take it from there. The software is excellent on Stars.fr and Winimax.fr and the fish pool is huge at the moment.

Comment

Fifty buy in rule on stars is a recipe for busto. Field sizes are monstrous so without early run good you'll be bust or micro staking in no time. 100bi min imo but your own variance will dictate what's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirtoyou View Post
              Stars is also the toughest highest variance site to play. Grinding and bumhunting the softer smaller field euro sites would be more advisable.

$20 to $100 tournaments is serious stuff and $300 to $1k a day spend is the norm for that level multitabling so a large bankroll or staking deal is required for those levels.

My advice would be to get yourself sorted on the French sites and take it from there. The software is excellent on Stars.fr and Winimax.fr and the fish pool is huge at the moment.
              Yes I agree, I have played on Pokerstars a few times but the amount of players in some tourneys is actually unreal and regardless how good you are or might think you are, you defo will need luck against such big fields...
              Thats why I have tended to play a bit on iPoker because the traffic is not that high..
              I've never played on any french sites so i might just download one of them this evening and give it a go... Cheers mate

Comment

Also I tried that Irish Eyes Poker site not so long ago... lol I think its the worst site that ive tried so far

Comment

Just got referred here from boards, didn't know this even existed :O

I'm getting back into the online game with a view to hit more live events. Played a lot in college and did well in intervaristy games and poker funded my third level education, but I started to drift away from it for a few years.

Been hunting around to see where is a nice place to get setup for online, I used to play paddy power but I see alot of mention of Pokerstars(if that's right?). Is that one of the top sites?

As much as I'm looking for a solid platform and decent application to play with, also want a level to easily break me back into the online game, while providing some tiers to move up as time goes on

Cheers, will lurk here more often

Doc

Comment

I'm winning at 6 bb at 10NL Pokerstars 30000 hands 4/5/6 multitabling.
                    Is this just noise, sample too small or can I say I'm beating the game relatively easily and be aggressive with bankroll and take shots at 25nl? Current bankroll €380($ 516)

Comment

Interesting one.

I'm being staked for Micro MTT's and MTSNG's on stars by an absolute grinding machine. His stats are truly awesome and once every two weeks we skype and review HH's, which is priceless. He shipped me lots of $100's and so far I'm down $470.

The question Im asking is how much tolerance should I expect him to have before he pulls the plug?

I have been close to a couple of binks, but variance is sick in Turbo's and without getting super deeps the payouts are shite.

Heres my stats:

Comment

Live returns?

Hi guys i was just wondering if anyone could shed light on this for me. I have had a lot of spare time on my hands since losing a job before christmas and have been playing very low stake live poker in order to try and build some kind of income/roll. I wanted to ask what kind of return if at all you could expect to see playing 20-30e trnys and playing 25c/50c cash upon busting said tournament. Trnys get 30-50 runners and the cash action is mostly loose and soft with a 1 straddle on often and stacks being 300/400+bb deep a lot of the time. The tournaments have a 5e reg fee which i have often thought is a major cut into the value of the tournament. Any insight would be great and much appreciated.

Thank you
                        McShovin

Comment

poker differences

hey there

not so long at the game and learning the hard way loosing

im not sure is it beginners luck or that i play so bad but i started out playing a few small tourys, enjoyed them..seen alot of good and bad turns / rivers, and genuinely enjoying the few hours entertainment and winning pots... however...

could someone point me in the right direction,,,i started playing a few cash games and seem to play and do better in a cash game compared to a toury...buy in be small and when i say win i mean maybe double / triple my buy in...how ever im struggling to leave while up but ill work on it
                          but

my play style doesnt seem to change from the two how ever im sinking fast in toury...whats the difference with the two..is it all in my head or is the short time bli.dd putting me off ?? is there much difference from cash / toury / online poker... how can one become a fairly strong all rounder ?

thanks in advance

Barry

Comment

Hey guys.

Im moving to Australia fairly soon.

I`ll prob play some online poker when im bored.

Just wondering can I still play using my stars and stars.fr accounts over there?
                            If you're not in, you can't win

Comment

Hi everyone, just joined there looking forward to learning a lot from using this site! One question, is there any requirements needed to get the password for the Study Group forum? Really interested in joining but is there anything I need to do first as a new member to get the password? Thanks and glad to be here!

Comment

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by *PocketRockets* View Post

(Also, min raise is 22k, so 26k is only one blind above?)
                                Min 3 bet is not 22k just fyi it would be 18k in this instance. *Math 11-4 = 7; 11+7 = 18 (just a quote from another thread!!)
                                QUESTION
                                so blinds were 2k/4k someone opened for 11k. What is allowed as the min 3bet in most clubs and games in Ireland?
                                a min 3 bet to 18 or has to be double the open to 22?

Comment

Originally posted by badugi View Post
                                  Originally Posted by *PocketRockets* View Post

(Also, min raise is 22k, so 26k is only one blind above?)
                                  Min 3 bet is not 22k just fyi it would be 18k in this instance. *Math 11-4 = 7; 11+7 = 18 (just a quote from another thread!!)
                                  QUESTION
                                  so blinds were 2k/4k someone opened for 11k. What is allowed as the min 3bet in most clubs and games in Ireland?
                                  a min 3 bet to 18 or has to be double the open to 22?
                                  For a long time, the standard for raising was double the last bet so it would be 22k (still think the SE do this). JP, for a long long time had always used the double the last raise to bring into line with other European/US games because Ireland seemed to be stuck backwards. Slowly tho, almost every festival or big game has the rule as double the last raise (18k) while clubs just have a mixture of both depending on what their own house rules are.

Comment

Originally posted by stellamarch16
                                    I am an absolute beginner when it comes to playing poker, which is why I am interested in knowing, where to start from and how to go about becoming an expert in the game. My eventual ambition is to play poker in Vegas one day and possibly even win some money, while at it.
                                    Read some books, watch some training videos (Runitonce.com) $10 a month and play some hands! Easy!

Comment

Hi

Hi I'm new here not sure it's the right section. Got back into poker about another ago not played for a few years. Had few gd finishes in freerolls on pokerstars hope to talk more I'm the future this looks to be a nice forum

Comment

Welcome along. What did you have for tea?
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Ha ha a couple of pies in my car I work nights so just about to get some Well deserved rest? How much harder are bigger cash tournies than freerolls?

Comment

Originally posted by Darbys85 View Post
                                            Ha ha a couple of pies in my car I work nights so just about to get some Well deserved rest? How much harder are bigger cash tournies than freerolls?
                                            The bigger the buy-in the harder it gets, at least in theory.

Work your way up slowly but don't be put off by variance.

Always remember, mathematically, you will lose with AA v an underpair at least one time in four.
                                            One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I was just wondering as with the freerolls I do well aslong as I get through that crazy first half an hour with the all ins everyone plays. I seem to be placing in the top 10% pretty consistently il keep at it.

Comment

Whats the difference between a 4b shove and a cold 4b shove?

Comment

...about 10 degrees... serious question

Comment

Originally posted by 3Bet View Post
                                                    Whats the difference between a 4b shove and a cold 4b shove?
                                                    Player A opens. Player B 3b. Player A 4b shoves.
                                                    Player A opens. Player B 3b. Player C cold 4b shoves.

It's when a new player enters the pot with the shove that its called a cold 4b shove. It's normally seen as stronger than when player A does it.
                                                    https://twitter.com/#!/PadraigONeill89

Comment

could somebody explain to me about rakeback sites and how they work??

Comment

Originally posted by drive56 View Post
                                                        could somebody explain to me about rakeback sites and how they work??
                                                        You sign up at a rakeback site, then use their link to sign up at a poker site.

The poker site will give the rakeback site a percentage of all the rake you earn as a reward for getting them a new player. In turn, each month, the rakeback site will give you a percentage of the money that the poker site gave them.

The overall effect of this is that you get some of the rake that you paid to the poker site back.

Comment

i no there is an easy formula to help you work out if any of the players to act behind you percentage wise have a bigger pair than you. i cant seem to find wat im looking for on the net so if any1 here could help that would be grate. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by brackaboy View Post
                                                            i no there is an easy formula to help you work out if any of the players to act behind you percentage wise have a bigger pair than you. i cant seem to find wat im looking for on the net so if any1 here could help that would be grate. thanks
                                                            This question is answered in the link

Hello, thank you for a very interesting and informative site. I have a question of my own that I hope you can answer for me. As a Texas hold’em player, I pay special attention to pocket pairs, and have particular interest towards 10 10 or J J or similar, as on the surface they appear strong but can be beaten easily. My question however, is how do you work out the probability of there being at least one person on your table holding a higher pocket pair to yours?
                                                            — Andrew from St. Albans

Comment

Does anyone know if I can sign up to an italian poker site like ipoker.it or gioco digital?

Comment

hi just wondering if there is any good training sites out there

Comment

Originally posted by emilypoker View Post
                                                                  My knowledge is a little out of date but http://www.bluefirepoker.com/ used to be great a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by emilypoker View Post
                                                                    runitonce or tournament poker edge are the two best atm imo

Comment

It's been a good while since I've played. Wondering how the games are these days? Is it worth playing on a recreational bases. Maybe a few hours a week? I don't mean for any big money or stakes just to enjoy the game and maybe make a bit of money over a long time period.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkFart View Post
                                                                        It's been a good while since I've played. Wondering how the games are these days? Is it worth playing on a recreational bases. Maybe a few hours a week? I don't mean for any big money or stakes just to enjoy the game and maybe make a bit of money over a long time period.
                                                                        no the games are so tough
                                                                        i lost over 700e playin online
                                                                        the players are so aggresive
                                                                        they never let yu see a flop
                                                                        they always shove blind on blind in later stages
                                                                        its just so hard to make money
                                                                        i really suspect that it maybe fixed or bots on the table
                                                                        for example i shoved AA utg in a tounamnet a while back
                                                                        and of course the big syack calls with 10 4os and gets two pair on flop
                                                                        how the hell can you win
                                                                        how do they get these sttacks playin poker the way they do
                                                                        something tells me its rigged
                                                                        anyways my advice is its so tough really really tough

Comment

How to get better

Originally posted by Degenerate88 View Post
                                                                          Read some books, watch some training videos (Runitonce.com) $10 a month and play some hands! Easy!
                                                                          I second reading books and watch some training videos. When you have done that I would definitely get a coach which is relatively easy to do. Important as well is to choose what you play carefully so it will not be an expensive journey. I recommend deeper sng´s and mtt´s to start with. As well you need a HUD HM2, PokerTracker which cost roughly 100 but you get a trial period for 1 month, or you can try out the new Jivaro HUD which is free. Lastly talk about hands with someone who knows poker or review hand histories together - VERY IMPORTANT.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Comment

Will Boyle poker be running Satellites for the Irish Open closer to the date? Or are they exclusive to Paddy Power?

Comment

boyles were running them a few weeks ago but for some reason they stopped,no idea if they will come back i doubt it

Comment

They were running on Boyles for a while but stopped recently and dont think they will be back, i reckon they are on a few other ipoker skins. Bet365 is one i can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Micky View Post
                                                                                  Will Boyle poker be running Satellites for the Irish Open closer to the date? Or are they exclusive to Paddy Power?
                                                                                  It's pretty insane to be playing IO sats anywhere else except P power with the last man standing promotion in place.
                                                                                  location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser soze View Post
                                                                                    It's pretty insane to be playing IO sats anywhere else except P power with the last man standing promotion in place.
                                                                                    Good point, i just hate the 5 minute turbos in the feeder satellites, i thought if Boyle ran some they'd have 10 minute blinds, making it not such a shove fest.

Comment

Originally posted by Micky View Post
                                                                                      Good point, i just hate the 5 minute turbos in the feeder satellites, i thought if Boyle ran some they'd have 10 minute blinds, making it not such a shove fest.
                                                                                      Those sats are network wide. Would be the same on Boyle's as PP.
                                                                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PokerPolly View Post
                                                                                        Those sats are network wide. Would be the same on Boyle's as PP.
                                                                                        Boyles aren't running them at the moment. Not sure if I'll bring them back for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                          Boyles aren't running them at the moment. Not sure if I'll bring them back for this year.
                                                                                          I meant if they were running! Worth bringing back for Mega Sat time imo (without knowing full reasoning behind not running etc but I can take a guess)
                                                                                          sigpic

Comment

I meant if they were running! Worth bringing back for Mega Sat time imo (without knowing full reasoning behind not running etc but I can take a guess)

Guess away....

Comment

I might go back for the mega sats but its the Nut worst promo for recreational punters imo so just opted out this year.

Comment

Hello everybody, just registered and wanted to say Hi!

Comment

hello

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua182 View Post
                                                                                                    Post in the bbv so we can give you a proper welcome.
                                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua182 View Post
                                                                                                      Hi Joshua, may I assume that was you with the other AK against the AJ in the last hand of the satt? I was dobman23. Welcome to IPB.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                                                        Hi Joshua, may I assume that was you with the other AK against the AJ in the last hand of the satt? I was dobman23. Welcome to IPB.
                                                                                                        That's correct sir, thank you!

Comment

What does ''1 bike per table mean?''. Never heard that term before?.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                            1 re-entry per table. Not sure were they got bike from

Comment

One re entry per table
                                                                                                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayo-...0391231?ref=hl

Mayo's longest running and most successful pub poker league. Teach O'Hora, Kiltimagh every Wednesday night, entry €20. Re-entry €20.

Comment

NOT RE-ENTRY!!

bike = rebuy ...(not RE-ENTRY!)

So, if a game is €100 + €20 and there are 10 tables then there would be 10 rebuys of €100 (not €120) optional at the game.

Re-entry are charging the €100 + €20

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Poker View Post
                                                                                                                  NOT RE-ENTRY!!

bike = rebuy ...(not RE-ENTRY!)

So, if a game is €100 + €20 and there are 10 tables then there would be 10 rebuys of €100 (not €120) optional at the game.

Re-entry are charging the €100 + €20
                                                                                                                  Ok thanks. But why would only one person per table be able to get a bike(rebuy)?. Can anyone at anytime call for a bike as long as they are the first?.

Comment

Ok thanks. But why would only one person per table be able to get a bike(rebuy)?. Can anyone at anytime call for a bike as long as they are the first?.
                                                                                                                    correct, The term "per table" is not literal...... first 10 people out of the game, irrespective of their table placement, can get the rebuy.....

As for "bike".... definitely a culchie thing! (blame Fionn)

Comment

Greeting!
                                                                                                                      Hello, I am a newbie, Addlink is my name.
                                                                                                                      Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

european poker

Hi,

I know this thread is for poker hands but I have question that you may or may not be able to help me with. Do you know any website that is good for live events around europe?i would like site that tells you buy in and prize pool.

Thanks for whatever help that you can provide,
                                                                                                                        G

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X