This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    What is the story with this Ciaran, how much do you have to play for the monsy to be fully "yours"?
    We generally do it on a case by case basis tbh.

A nominal amount of play will get it approved but playing one $10 Double up from a €200 transfer wont be passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
      We generally do it on a case by case basis tbh.

A nominal amount of play will get it approved but playing one $10 Double up from a €200 transfer wont be passed.
      Sorry Cieran but thats bull, ive often had 100s transfered from friend a friend, as long as i play a certain amount of cash on it

Comment

Originally posted by Theycall me GINNIE View Post
        Sorry Cieran but thats bull, ive often had 100s transfered from friend a friend, as long as i play a certain amount of cash on it
        A nominal amount of play will get it approved

Comment

Some Basic Questions

Hi all,

I have been playing poker for about 4 years now but only for fun and as a means of passing the time.

Previously I would have said that I had a fairly good understanding of the game although I have read some of the conversations on here and realise that I certainly don't have the same grasp and depth of understanding as alot of you seem to. I think this will be a great place to learn!

For a number of reasons my ability to actually play poker in the last couple of years was curtailed and I would like to remedy that now. In particular I want to try to focus on online poker as it seems that this is where alot of profit can be made with less effort than live play, particularly as I have a full time day job.

As my current laptop is a piece of s*** I am going to get a desktop and intend downloading a poker HUD, pokerstove etc and seeing how these work for me..........the questions I have are

1.) I am on pokerstars right now.....are there any softer or easier sites for my type of entry level playing. It seems stars gets alot of traffic but it might not be the best for actually making a profit

2.) I am planning on re-reading phil gordon's little green book and harrington on poker and have ordered colin mosshmans book online.....are there any other reading materials you might recommend.

3.) Which is the best poker HUD....poker tracker or holdem manager....I have never used anything like this and am a bit of a techno-phobe so the most user friendly would have an advantage

4.) What type of desktop would be best for running these programs....I dont mean make but rather the RAM or operating speed/capacity. Or is any bog standard desktop grand.

5.) I plan on trying to play for 1 - 2 hours a night/day ........ is that enough to get good or does it require all night gringing.....eventually I want to make enough to give up the day job (everyone has to dream) so would that amount of time let me get there

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Kwisatz View Post
            Hi all,

I have been playing poker for about 4 years now but only for fun and as a means of passing the time.

Previously I would have said that I had a fairly good understanding of the game although I have read some of the conversations on here and realise that I certainly don't have the same grasp and depth of understanding as alot of you seem to. I think this will be a great place to learn!

For a number of reasons my ability to actually play poker in the last couple of years was curtailed and I would like to remedy that now. In particular I want to try to focus on online poker as it seems that this is where alot of profit can be made with less effort than live play, particularly as I have a full time day job.

As my current laptop is a piece of s*** I am going to get a desktop and intend downloading a poker HUD, pokerstove etc and seeing how these work for me..........the questions I have are

1.) I am on pokerstars right now.....are there any softer or easier sites for my type of entry level playing. It seems stars gets alot of traffic but it might not be the best for actually making a profit

Depends on what your playing really. If your playing cash, you would probably be better off playing elsewhere where you can get rakeback
            2.) I am planning on re-reading phil gordon's little green book and harrington on poker and have ordered colin mosshmans book online.....are there any other reading materials you might recommend.
            I have never read a book and learned most of what I know from playing and reading forums such as here, the old poker forum on boards.ie and two plus two.
            3.) Which is the best poker HUD....poker tracker or holdem manager....I have never used anything like this and am a bit of a techno-phobe so the most user friendly would have an advantage
            I have pokertracker and its very easy to use. Holdem manager is considered better but I doubt it will make much of a difference
            4.) What type of desktop would be best for running these programs....I dont mean make but rather the RAM or operating speed/capacity. Or is any bog standard desktop grand.
            My desktop is nearly 6 years old and fairly bog standard and I rarely have a problem playing 6 tables.
            5.) I plan on trying to play for 1 - 2 hours a night/day ........ is that enough to get good or does it require all night gringing.....eventually I want to make enough to give up the day job (everyone has to dream) so would that amount of time let me get there
            no comment
            Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Lots of softer sites with rakeback too. What limits are you playing? If it's micro stakes the best way is to build up your roll using kick back bonuses. http://www.kickbackbonus.com/kickbac...ack-Bonus-List

Haven't read Phil gordons book but I haven't heard good things about it. No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice by David Sklanksy is probably the best, also Theory of poker by him is excellent as wel but more advanced so you can wait a while until you get it.

The best thing is to signed up to 2+2 forums and read all threads in here

uNL has had a lot of good, solid discussion in the last two years. We compiled a list of the best threads for you so there is less work for you, the us

It will give you more information then any book.

Holdem manager. Takes a bit of effort to get it running but then it's easy enough.

The more hands you play, the more you will improve. Playing just wont do it though, reading threads and HH's will be a huge help as well.

Comment

Posting hands you've played and seeking feedback is really really important IMO.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I am going to dip my toe at first so I will be playing micro stakes SnG and MTT games and also maybe similar level cash games too.....at least until I build a bit of a bank roll.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Kwisatz View Post
                    Thanks guys I appreciate it. I am going to dip my toe at first so I will be playing micro stakes SnG and MTT games and also maybe similar level cash games too.....at least until I build a bit of a bank roll.

Thanks again
                    One thing that's vitally important is to follow a proper bankroll management strategy. There's loads of good information online about it, but for micro S&Gs I would recommend always having ~30 buyins for the level you're playing. I got started with $100 on Stars playing $3 18-man S&Gs. I moved up to the $6 ones at $200 and grinded that up to nearly $800.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just thought I would post this here because it has tilted me in the past and probably would be tilting others atm.

On FTP, you can click on another player's badge at the table and it brings you to an internet page automatically, very annoying imo and I just found out how to stop it.

Options>Badge Display Options>Display badges without links.

HAPPY DAYS!

Comment

wow caf, i often misclick their badges and get stuck going to the pages...thanks for the help on that!

Comment

that is helpful thanks

Comment

Hey new enough to playing SnG and small MTT tournaments, a problem i have is leaking chips towards the end. I'll usually have a reasonable stack but once the short stacks start shoving and a blinds going up this changes!

Any tips on how to close out the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave03 View Post
                              Hey new enough to playing SnG and small MTT tournaments, a problem i have is leaking chips towards the end. I'll usually have a reasonable stack but once the short stacks start shoving and a blinds going up this changes!

Be super-aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave03 View Post

Your prob widening your calling range too much when calling the shortstacks late on. What I mean is, could you give us some examples of hands the shortstacks were shoving with and the cards you were calling with? (and be honest ) <Maybe stack sizes in relation to the cards might give us a clue also. Just a thought...
                                Last edited by Tilt Gone; 03-02-11, 17:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilt Gone View Post
                                  Your prob widening your calling range too much when calling the shortstacks late on. What I mean is, could you give us some examples of hands the shortstacks were shoving with and the cards you were calling with? (and be honest ) <Maybe stack sizes in relation to the cards might give us a clue also. Just a thought...
                                  Shortstacks are shoving with any pocket pair and pretty much any Ax or Kx.

Say big stack <4500 and small stack about 1000 with blinds 200-400.

All this pre flop so unless i've a pocket pair or some high face cards....

Comment

Help Reqd

Looking to be pointed in the right direction to get someone to run a fundraising poker tourney in my gaa club, would rather pay someone a registration per player as opposed to a fee for the night, any help appreciated....

Comment

Good Poker books

Could some of the experts here tell me where i can get good poker books, ive looked ina few book shops but had no luck, thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by ojay View Post
                                        Looking to be pointed in the right direction to get someone to run a fundraising poker tourney in my gaa club, would rather pay someone a registration per player as opposed to a fee for the night, any help appreciated....
                                        Throw out your location that might help?
                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by riveredagain91 View Post
                                          Could some of the experts here tell me where i can get good poker books, ive looked ina few book shops but had no luck, thanx.
                                          Wouldnt class myself as an expert. But im sure someone on here was looking to sell a load of them. Also, ebay and amazon have a rake of them.

I recommend Dan Harringtons books along with Super System. They will help your game a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
                                            Wouldnt class myself as an expert. But im sure someone on here was looking to sell a load of them. Also, ebay and amazon have a rake of them.

I recommend Dan Harringtons books along with Super System. They will help your game a lot.
                                            To be fair there 2 good recommendations. Join a training site it would probably be more beneficial than a book
                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Books

Yes i have done the tutorials videos ona number of sites and found they helped my game alot particularly in bank roll management etc, so was just wondering if any particular book would help me further as well?

Comment

Originally posted by riveredagain91 View Post
                                                Yes i have done the tutorials videos ona number of sites and found they helped my game alot particularly in bank roll management etc, so was just wondering if any particular book would help me further as well?
                                                The overwhelming consensus seems to be that the training sites >>>>>>> any of the books.

So basically your money would be better spent on a sub.

Comment

So whats the best free poker training sites?, ive done the full tilt training videos and paddypower and found them quite good.

Comment

Most of the training sites have some free vids to get you started, but you generally have to subscribe to get all their best stuff.

Some of them do free week long trials though, for example I know leggo poker does.

Comment

Winning at small stakes

i have being playing poker for about 18 months now just started off as an recreational player on small stakes and prob donked away a few quid at the start while getting to grips with online poker, i didnt take bankroll mangement seriously till prob last autum cause i donked away bout 50 quid on ppp, so i studied a few training videos esp on bankroll mangement, and deposited 20 dollars on ppp and stuck to playing small stakes mtts, because im better at them den sit n goe and cash, so far my bankroll is at 250 dollars so ive had a good retturn on investment from my $20 deposite in sept 2010, but i also play on full tilt and im finding it tougher there, i deposited $80 around the middle of nov 2010 but find it a struggle there im down to $40 atm, i mostly play mtts there as well, so i would just like to know from guys playing small stakes if they are beating there level and what games do they find most profitable (cash, mtts, sngs)?

Comment

180 man 2.20 turbos on stars are beatable.

Comment

could someone please tell me what and where is BBV , thank you

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post
                                                            It's the Bad Beat/Moan/Vent thread.

Started off as somewhere to put all the beats and brags etc, and has evolved into a combination of wiki and google. If you need a question answered, go there. If you want to post some pics of sexy women, go there. If you want to post youtobe vids, go there. It's just an off-thread with well over 100k posts

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post
                                                              BBV stands for Bad Beats/Venting and Moaning Thread (not the best acronym to be fair) and is the enormous and ever growing off-topic thread at the heart of the IPB Community.

The topics are varied and the general discourse can rage wildly from deep political discussions to "Lol, you're sporting team sucks while mine remains supreme" type discussions to the ever popular post-watershed MichelleSatNav says dirty things to strangers themed evenings Friday-Sunday after 11pm.

It can be found as the top sticky in the General Poker section of IPB and is always the most active thread on the site over any 24 hour period so should almost always be in the "Top Threads" section of the front page.
                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

BBV stands for Brags, Beats & Variance IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                  180 man 2.20 turbos on stars are beatable.
                                                                  Bit embarrassing, but I beat my first one the other day after so many crossbars

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                    Bit embarrassing, but I beat my first one the other day after so many crossbars
                                                                    I didn't say I beat them, I can just tell they're beatable

Comment

First timer on here. Was reading the thread about staking other players and may be interested. Do i have to be on the IPB for a certain length of time first ?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyg View Post
                                                                        First timer on here. Was reading the thread about staking other players and may be interested. Do i have to be on the IPB for a certain length of time first ?
                                                                        Depends if u want to stake or be staked.
                                                                        Afaik there are no rules about giving stakes.
                                                                        There are rules in the sticky thread at the top of the staking section about recieving stakes (min 30 post/member 2 months etc.)

Comment

Ok, I'll try to get some posts in (not very good at this mind) ! Anyhow i dont mind staking the odd player, see how it goes. If i wanted to be staked in future could i use poker prolabs to show my online results as i only play online ?

Comment

anyone know if pokerstars take laser card to top up an account?

Comment

#98
                                                                              Originally posted by R.McGee10 View Post
                                                                              Doesn't look like it no,

Comment

#99
                                                                                they do paysafecards that you can buy in any post point , they are very handy!
                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

nope. the irish ipoker sites do.
                                                                                  pokerstars will take ukash vouchers if you have no credit card. can get it in shops that have the pink or yellow printer top up unit!! same machine for phone credit topups.

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                    they do paysafecards that you can buy in any post point , they are very handy!
                                                                                    tried in the local post office and they said they dont do paysafe cards?

Comment

New to the site and didnt see anywhere to introduce myself so am doing it here.
                                                                                      My name is David Adams and I am an amateur only playing for around 2 years now and hope to make it as a pro one day.
                                                                                      Mainly an online player.

Comment

Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                                                                                        New to the site and didnt see anywhere to introduce myself so am doing it here.
                                                                                        My name is David Adams and I am an amateur only playing for around 2 years now and hope to make it as a pro one day.
                                                                                        Mainly an online player.
                                                                                        Welcome to IPB , come in pull up a chair and enjoy .

Comment

.
                                                                                          should fit in quite well around here so.

anyhow:
                                                                                          welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to stick up a few hands for comment, and take a gander over to the BBV you might like it (its not for poker you know)

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

tried in the local post office and they said they dont do paysafe cards?

you will find your local stockist here
                                                                                            48

Comment

thanks guys /girls?

Comment

thanks guys /girls?
                                                                                                no need for the question mark after the "girls"

We are always hanging about

welcome to the madness and dont take no shit off Damo
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                                  no need for the question mark after the "girls"

We are always hanging about

welcome to the madness and dont take no shit off Damo
                                                                                                  3 posts and already ur tryin to chat him up

Comment

Whats with all the damo bashing .
                                                                                                    I is all upset now

Comment

OK Gonna ask what may be a simple question but i cant work it out

On i poker at 9.10pm theres a 10k guaranted R/A and at 10pm theres a 10k GP rebuy

whats difference between a guaranteed and a GP ?

both are rebuys with add ons and have gtd prizepool

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post

On i poker at 9.10pm theres a 10k guaranted R/A and at 10pm theres a 10k GP rebuy

One is at 9:10pm and the other is at 10:00pm silly

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post

iPoker is run by idiots.

iPoker Must Die

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                            One is at 9:10pm and the other is at 10:00pm silly
                                                                                                            Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                            iPoker is run by idiots.

iPoker Must Die
                                                                                                            it would well worth both of yere while to read the thread title and pay specific attention to the last four words.

i think a 2week ban so the 2 of ye can reflect is in order.

ban!
                                                                                                            ban!
                                                                                                            damn it what happened my super mod powers
                                                                                                            ban!!!! i command you to bannnnnnnnn!

sigh.......
                                                                                                            i'get my coat

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                              it would well worth both of yere while to read the thread title and pay specific attention to the last four words.

i think a 2week ban so the 2 of ye can reflect is in order.

ban!
                                                                                                              ban!
                                                                                                              damn it what happened my super mod powers
                                                                                                              ban!!!! i command you to bannnnnnnnn!

sigh.......
                                                                                                              i'get my coat
                                                                                                              Did you plug it in yet ??

Comment

well i did try and find out answer...maybe someday

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE[/ame]

Comment

I set up a Party Poker a/c a week or so ago and haven't been able to get off the play money tables. Anyone have this problem before or able to tell me how to find the real money tables?

Comment

Got an email from pokerstrategy last month saying there was $50 on Party waiting for me. The Party poker Download wouldnt install on my laptop....so tried a couple of spring million sats with it on instant play....the instant play is horrible...no resizing of tables, daft avatars etc...all in all pretty tilting.

So my question is...how can i install the Download version?

Comment

Anybody got any good rakeback deals for Full Tilt?

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                                                                                                        I set up a Party Poker a/c a week or so ago and haven't been able to get off the play money tables. Anyone have this problem before or able to tell me how to find the real money tables?
                                                                                                                        When you log into Party, there's tabs across the top Cash Games, Sitngos, Tournaments, Play Money etc.

Are you just on the Play Money tab?

Have you got a new deposit bonus btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                          When you log into Party, there's tabs across the top Cash Games, Sitngos, Tournaments, Play Money etc.

Are you just on the Play Money tab?

Have you got a new deposit bonus btw?
                                                                                                                          The only tab across the top is 'play money' for me. There's a favourites beside and a search feature beside that tab actually.

Haven't deposited yet, I just want to check out the mtts. Will deposit or get a P2P transfer if I like what I see.

I don't know if you can see this but it's what I'm looking at:
                                                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X