Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time poster. Does anyone have any experience using sites like hhsmithy.com ? I am new to online poker and wondering if this would be a good idea ? Feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong thread. I am new to this.

Thanks for the help all,
    Jake

Comment

I dabble a bit at poker. Every so often a mood will overtake and I'll play a week's worth of 1/2c tables. I've been using the trials of Hold Em Manager, and used up my Poker Tracker one. I don't have the cash, nor want to outlay on the $60 version (broke student.)

Is there any free option that just let's me review a hand after it happened, and keeps track of how much I've won/lost over time?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrenda View Post
        I dabble a bit at poker. Every so often a mood will overtake and I'll play a week's worth of 1/2c tables. I've been using the trials of Hold Em Manager, and used up my Poker Tracker one. I don't have the cash, nor want to outlay on the $60 version (broke student.)

Is there any free option that just let's me review a hand after it happened, and keeps track of how much I've won/lost over time?
        Jivaro is free tracker,not sure if that is best.

Pokerprolabs is good to show online players tourneys records.Not sure if any site can show u what u have done in cash games.I would advise moving up slightly higher level if u wanna improve as player.1c/2c tables are a joke,so many calling stations

Comment

Not strictly a newb but I've neglected to give the game the same level of attention that I used to back a few years ago. Only play once in a blue moon these days.

Back a few years ago Harrington on Hold'em were the books you wanted to read to improve your tournament play. Obviously the game has evolved so much since then so I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for current books on tournament strategy? Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by ItFellOnDeafEars View Post
            Not strictly a newb but I've neglected to give the game the same level of attention that I used to back a few years ago. Only play once in a blue moon these days.

Back a few years ago Harrington on Hold'em were the books you wanted to read to improve your tournament play. Obviously the game has evolved so much since then so I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for current books on tournament strategy? Cheers.
            i hear moormans book is very good.

Comment

dont get a book training site basic 10 a month bada bing

Comment

Moorman's book is very good, but sometimes reading hand histories isn't the easiest to follow - especially not so many at a time, with two varying view points as put across in the book.

I actually picked up the video series online and it was - far easier to follow with good ideas/advice etc. Worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by noname1255 View Post
                  dont get a book training site basic 10 a month bada bing
                  Originally posted by LucasCalvertus View Post
                  Moorman's book is very good, but sometimes reading hand histories isn't the easiest to follow - especially not so many at a time, with two varying view points as put across in the book.

I actually picked up the video series online and it was - far easier to follow with good ideas/advice etc. Worth a look.
                  There's a clue in his name that a book might be better than something online. Books are very 2nd rate compared to what's available online now since the Twitch revelation.

Haven't read anything in a while, but Moorman's book is meant to be the best out there as others have said. I also heard a few good thinks about Gripsed books, but tbh, i reckon it's all fanboy stuff and wouldn't be surprised if they were a pile of shit.

Comment

Hey. Good places live for newbies just for fun really ver low buy ins and also I know its a long shot but anywhere have a ladies game or tournament running? I have looked here.

I will look through for books etc. If I have the commitment to read them...is another thing!

Thank you!

Comment

Hey guys , first post..

Just wondering if there's a huge difference between picking up a book and learning its contents when the player is very much a cash game player or tournament player.. Is there a great over-lap or are these two disciplines completely different?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by clking33 View Post
                        Hey guys , first post..

Just wondering if there's a huge difference between picking up a book and learning its contents when the player is very much a cash game player or tournament player.. Is there a great over-lap or are these two disciplines completely different?

cheers
                        Don't get a book. There's plenty of online training sites where you can directly pick the videos you want to learn about. If you don't want to spend money on training sites, just check out Twitch for a few days. You can watch some great tournament and cash game action from some top players as the action happens.

Comment

Anywhere on these forums where I can flog poker stuff I have knocking about?

Comment

Actually since youre all talking about books here I have some for sale.

A bunch of the Harrington ones are there. I can honestly say they contributed to my success and win rate of around $20 per hour for 18 months back in 2010-2011. Got out good for 70k$ off a €50 deposit. Never got back into it after Full Tilt got taken down for that period

Comment

Originally posted by bingobars View Post
                              Anywhere on these forums where I can flog poker stuff I have knocking about?
                              A charity shop is your best bet.

Comment

If you were to compile a reading list what might it be?
                                This is a Shashka. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN3uhImuy6E Ty Menya Ne Ishi. Ti menya ne stoish. 'Do not look for me you are not worthy of me.'

Comment

I have Helmouth's 2003 book.
                                  This is a Shashka. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN3uhImuy6E Ty Menya Ne Ishi. Ti menya ne stoish. 'Do not look for me you are not worthy of me.'

Comment

Which types of poker chips do you guys prefer?

Custom Poker Chips

Comment

Originally posted by joshshore View Post
                                      Which types of poker chips do you guys prefer?

Custom Poker Chips
                                      PINK with decent weight i guess! I don't play at all seriously though.

Good luck with your product.

Comment

Originally posted by bingobars View Post
                                        Actually since youre all talking about books here I have some for sale.

A bunch of the Harrington ones are there. I can honestly say they contributed to my success and win rate of around $20 per hour for 18 months back in 2010-2011. Got out good for 70k$ off a €50 deposit. Never got back into it after Full Tilt got taken down for that period
                                        You should head to B&Q, I cleared out a similar amount to your ad and they gave me 50c each for them.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          You should head to B&Q, I cleared out a similar amount to your ad and they gave me 50c each for them.
                                          Pretty good. You should have held out for magic beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashka View Post
                                            Pretty good. You should have held out for magic beans.
                                            I felt I got more than they were worth.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                              I felt I got more than they were worth.
                                              So did I.

Comment

First time posting here,

I've been playing poker for about two years, started playing tournaments and cash in college and micro stakes online. Being a broke college student, played usually smaller live tournaments every now and then with buy ins usually <€50 with a decent amount of success. I've read a few books and watched a lot of videos/ twitch streams, I've still a lot to learn though I know.

I'm now working so can play tournaments and cash especially a lot more comfortably without playing scared money. I've been running pretty well the last couple of months, making a fairly decent profit. Online I play a small bit, still mostly micro stakes really, just gets frustrating going really deep in a MTT with thousands of runners, playing for 6 or 7 hours and then busting for like €15. I would like to play slightly higher stakes online but I don't know if I'd be good enough really to be profitable.

Two questions,

1 - Made it to the final table of one the side events at the IPO there on Halloween. 6 players left, me and 2 others are very short stacked, all 3 of us I'd say 5-7BBs approx. There was roughly a €1,000 jump in payouts between 6th and 3rd. Guy to my left is chip leader with massive stack.

It was the hand before a break, I'm in the BB. One of the other small stacks open shoves from the CO for 5BB, it folds around to me and I have pocket deuces with maybe 6BB including the one in the pot. I tank for a bit and call. He had KK. Even though I thought he would have a fairly narrow shoving range due to the pay jumps, I figured I'd just hope we were flipping and he had AK,AQ etc. If I had folded, after the break I would have been in the SB with like 3or4 BB with pretty much no fold equity with the massive stack to my left. Not sure if I should have folded the deuces or not.

2- Bankroll- for live tournaments, don't know exactly where to draw the line with buy-ins. What sort of bankroll should I have playing 1 maybe 2 tournaments a week with buy ins usually between €40-€110 ?
                                                I really want to play the main event at the Fitz for €440 but I'm not sure if it's a great idea.

Comment

i'm never calling with 22 here. You're flipping for your tourney life. With 3 stacks so short - you're looking to ladder as far as possible. Calling for flips is not the way to do that.

With regards bankroll - it's said you need 100x buy ins for a decent tourney bankroll, so you need a €4000/€11000. There's a lot more variance in tournaments that cash games.
                                                  While you may have been on a good run for a couple of months - what happens when you go on a bad run for say 7 months ? 2 tournaments X €70 per week X 7 months is €3900.

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right there. I knew with the blinds and antes so high that after the break I'd have to shove within 2 or 3 hands with pretty much no fold equity, and odds of me getting better than 22 in those 3 hands fairly low. At the time I was thinking if I was flipping and I won, it would have given me a fighting chance of coming in the top 3.

Comment

to get exactly the correct answer we need to know exact stack sizes and exact payouts if you are shortest stack then its a big difference to being 4th or whatever

Comment

You thought over your decision to make that call,and then asked here for future guidance. That's half the battle when you are still learning,and shows your line of thinking is positive. Continue watching the coaching videos.Read as much as you can,and look and listen to your opponents at the table.The learning curve will be littered with mistakes,but learning from them,and adapting as you progress will take you a long way from your starting position. Be disciplined with your bank roll, and never stop believing in yourself. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by skpmn View Post
                                                          Good luck.
                                                          Thanks

Originally posted by noname1255 View Post
                                                          to get exactly the correct answer we need to know exact stack sizes and exact payouts if you are shortest stack then its a big difference to being 4th or whatever
                                                          Blinds 25k/50k ante 5k (last hand before break, after break would be 30k/60k 10k ante)

Payouts - 6th - €1,410 5th- €1,865 4th- €2,375 3rd- €3,145 2nd- €4,320 1st- €7,250 + trip to vegas worth about €2,000 with entry to WSOP Colossus game I think.

Approx. Stacks -

SB - 750k
                                                          BB - 320k - (Me)
                                                          UTG - 2.5 million
                                                          UTG+1 - 1.5 million
                                                          CO - 310k
                                                          Button - 400k

Folds to CO, he shoves, I tank and call. As I said, looking back on it should have probably folded.

Comment

Welcome Duffman :-)

Comment

probably not needing own thread so will ask here.. I actually have two questions.

first: has anyone tried the poker book Grinders Manual? I have heard a couple good things about it on reddit so was thinking of buying but its so expensive...

second: does anyone know if this guide on how to play poker is any good? I've been reading so much drivel and outdated strategy stuff and was hoping for a second opinion on this one, seems fairly good but again most free strategy stuff online can be fairly iffy.

sometimes i think people put out terrible info to keep games soft...

Comment

Originally posted by Ballyegan View Post
                                                                probably not needing own thread so will ask here.. I actually have two questions.

first: has anyone tried the poker book Grinders Manual? I have heard a couple good things about it on reddit so was thinking of buying but its so expensive...

second: does anyone know if this guide on how to play poker is any good? I've been reading so much drivel and outdated strategy stuff and was hoping for a second opinion on this one, seems fairly good but again most free strategy stuff online can be fairly iffy.

sometimes i think people put out terrible info to keep games soft...
                                                                Welcome to the Forum Bally Egan!
                                                                I have heard it's very comprehensive as a book. Particularly if starting out.

For me anything i read is sure to broaden my knowledge as I know so little. So I may not be best placed to answer though. It's probably a material source that is beyond me.

If you have amazon prime you can borrow this book through their kindle borrowing library for no charge. This is a good way to read the book for "free". For a little while.

I don't know anything about that online guide though.

Anyway welcome again! Please post lots!

Comment

Hey everyone. I am new here. Could you help with some guides about poker. What should i read for the first? I know rules and play a lil bit. But now wanna know smth more. Also, few words pls abour rakeback. Thx, guys)

Comment

Member Ballyegan sent this article http://playonlinepoker.ie/how-to-pla...r-microstakes/, and btw, its pretty good and usefull. At least for me

Comment

And should i read book Grinders Manual. Is it good? or maybe some youtube channels that will help me. Also i found https://worldpokerdeals.com/ website, that provides access to closed poker fields... are they better? What is the benefit from closed sources. Will be grateful for all infromation

Comment

Solid. Within 2 mins of posting, he read it, sent you the article, you read it and managed to post a link to it here. That's impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                          Solid. Within 2 mins of posting, he read it, sent you the article, you read it and managed to post a link to it here. That's impressive!
                                                                          No, i've read the article before. After i registered here and asked about more information and taged his article. Sry for this trash, maybe i just have too much questions and have mess in my head

Comment

Hi all,

First time poster.

I used to play a bit of poker 8/9 years ago, and i recently rediscovered some unused cash sitting idle in my Full Tilt account, which together with a recent local tourney rekindled my interest.

Couple of questions:

1 - If i'm playing Zoom poker on Full Tilt / Pokerstars, can I assume that the ranges are tighter than normal? If yes, by how much should I tighten my ranges, if we assume i'm playing approx 15% of my hands in full-ring.

2 - Not sure I see it here on these boards, but is there anywhere where I can find and join local cash-games etc? Some site/app to help me find local players to play a home game with, over a few brewskies?

3 - I've been studying ranges for the first time, and one thing puzzles me.
                                                                            I often see cards like 76s, 87s, etc in ranges, but not T9s, 98s.
                                                                            What is the rationale behind overlooking stronger connectors in favour of weaker ones?
                                                                            Is it a ploy to fool your opponent to widening his perceived range of you, or is it to increase the number of flops you can hit, etc?

I'll have more questions, but thanks for any advice in advance.

Roy.

Comment

You can play free video poker . There are many websites where you can do this . Here is a list of casinos where you can play - https://casinopublic.com/free-video-poker/ . It takes into account the region in which you live. You can find more information about each casino on the website.
                                                                              Last edited by Sarrene; 30-01-19, 14:13.

Comment

If you ask about my game choice it would be live casino games? I know that most of you guys like to play online casino games once you review this platform US casino guide which guides you proper to play casino games like blackjack, roulette and other games with live dealers. You can play casino games without even depositing any money.

Comment

At the Institute, I need to write an essay about poker. Tell me, who can I buy such an essay from? I was able to find a site with reviews of essay writing services - https://edureviewer.com/services/cus...gs-com-review/ . Can be, order here?
                                                                                  Last edited by Sarrene; 31-05-19, 04:29.

Comment

can anyone direct me to where results of tournaments can be found ?
                                                                                    thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Collydub View Post
                                                                                      thanks in advance
                                                                                      They’re on the website

Comment

Originally posted by Collydub View Post
                                                                                        thanks in advance
                                                                                        https://www.thehendonmob.com/ Live Tournaments

https://www.pocketfives.com/ Online Tournaments

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...splay.php?f=59 Historical Irish Rankings/Tournament Results

Comment

What is the best way to learn play online casino and poker?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Morrison View Post
                                                                                            What is the best way to learn play online casino and poker?
                                                                                            I am also interested in solving the question. Thank you for your inquiry. I also play poker not so long ago and this game became a great discovery for me, because before that I only played slots and some other card games. In addition to the fact that I play in certain online casinos, I still always find out various information about them. On the site https://onlineslot.us/deposit-method...iendly-casinos I found information about American casinos and deposit methods that you can use, such as Mastercard, Bitcoin, Amex, etc.
                                                                                            Last edited by Thothris; 24-09-21, 10:11.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            X