This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Poker? Ask any questions here.. no smart answers please

This thread is here so anyone who might have a question that they're afraid to ask or a potentially simple hand they'd like to get advice on (but don't want to start a thread about it) can post it in here and they will get a genuine response.

The rules in this thread are simple, no levelling, genuine responses only, and because the people asking the questions are new to the game, 1 word answers are not permitted, take a little time to even give a one sentence reply as to why you'd do something.

I'll be reading it so if any newbs don't realise they are being levelled, I will and you will be suitably punished. (At mine and the other mods discretion, from a warning to a ban for persistent transgressions)

pokersites

hi all ,could u advise me some good poker sites iam with paddypower would like to try others could u please advise thank you dom

Comment

Originally posted by poppydogwins View Post
      hi all ,could u advise me some good poker sites iam with paddypower would like to try others could u please advise thank you dom
      It depends what you like playing, and for how long.

Stars and Full Tilt get get the most traffic, but the standard is generally a bit tougher. They have a huge selection of game types and buy in level, if its tournaments you are into they have some brilliant guarentee's but the large number of players can mean a long run to the final table.

ipoker (ppp and others such as Boyles) doesnt have great software, but the player pool is largely european and the tournament sizes arent as big. Other similar options are Cake (Brucepoker) and Entraction (ladbrokes)

I'm sure some of the other online lads can give you more advice particulary around rakeback and sign up bonuses.

Comment

ladbrokes is supposed to be pretty soft for cash games,i myself never play on it anymore but they have good sats for their big games and as far as i know the cash games on it are pretty low standard

Comment

Try a few different sites and avail of sign up bonuses then decide what you want. When signing up seek advise here as to whether rakeback is available as if you sign up you may not be able to get it in future.
          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

It depends what you're playing, if you can tell me that I can give you some advice. I only pay cash on-line and across a number of site so let me know.

Comment

i gave pl omaha a go for first time last night on 5/10c got up to $40 but got into big pot and lost $30, called small raise pre, flop came 3c4h7c i had 5h6s8s9h 3 players in the hand first to act leads out for $1.50 i raised pot of $6 next player calls $6 and initial raiser moves all in for for $22 more , i call other player fold , up against AcAs7d8c
              club hits river,
              Im just wondering shud i be raising with no club in my hand or is it better to just flat call ?

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the way you played it either. In Omaha you may sometime have to consider folding the nuts, and this hand is a good example of when you might think of it because it is a 3 way pot so you could be up against both clubs and a set, as well as maybe only splitting it if the board bricks out. However, at 5c/10c this wouldn't really come into my thinking an awful lot, you you played it fine in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                  There is nothing wrong with the way you played it either. In Omaha you may sometime have to consider folding the nuts, and this hand is a good example of when you might think of it because it is a 3 way pot so you could be up against both clubs and a set, as well as maybe only splitting it if the board bricks out. However, at 5c/10c this wouldn't really come into my thinking an awful lot, you you played it fine in my opinion.
                  Interesting hand i'd say (don't play Omaha really). Will probably play a couple of the IPB/IWF Omaha games and was wondering if in a tourney game would this be, generally, a flat call & re-evaluate on turn or a raise for info & fold to repop?

Comment

thanks for the reply i only play tournament poker

Comment

thanks for the reply i only play tournament poker
                      Dont play any more Razz anyway

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL
                        no smart answers please

Comment

Originally posted by playuppompey pompeyplayup View Post
                          i gave pl omaha a go for first time last night on 5/10c got up to $40 but got into big pot and lost $30, called small raise pre, flop came 3c4h7c i had 5h6s8s9h 3 players in the hand first to act leads out for $1.50 i raised pot of $6 next player calls $6 and initial raiser moves all in for for $22 more , i call other player fold , up against AcAs7d8c
                          club hits river,
                          Im just wondering shud i be raising with no club in my hand or is it better to just flat call ?
                          i don't play omaha atall. but would consider this hand to be very similar to a holdem hand where you have flopped the nuts and getting it all in against some guy looking to draw out. as you don't know where any of the other clubs are in the deck only the 2 on the board and the 2 in his hand i would assume that this is the same % as holdem and that he has roughly a 36% chance of making his flush by the river. though luck imo
                          could be completely wrong do

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

I think stars is the best for this but not really sure... It's RNG broke last night though and actually gave me some hands... then got working again near the end and fucked me.

Comment

dont think this deserves a thread so ill ask in here.

brother started playing poker a few weeks back so i transfered some funds to his account via another account i had on boyles.

now i know that transfers stop us playing at same cash tables and that. but as i said i did it thru another account. and for first few days we we were able to play. then this evo boom not allowed.

is this an ip addy thingy or what happened
                              http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Eh you realise people from these skins read and post on here yeah?
                                Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post

brother started playing poker a few weeks back so i transfered some funds to his account via another account i had on boyles.

now i know that transfers stop us playing at same cash tables and that. but as i said i did it thru another account. and for first few days we we were able to play. then this evo boom not allowed.

i know that sometimes when 2 people try to play the same tournies even mtt's that if they have sent money to each other then whoever tries to reg second cant get in but i think that after 24 hours it goes back to normal.just ring customer service thats what i do and theyl sort it

Comment

Originally posted by liz:) View Post
                                    i know that sometimes when 2 people try to play the same tournies even mtt's that if they have sent money to each other then whoever tries to reg second cant get in but i think that after 24 hours it goes back to normal.just ring customer service thats what i do and theyl sort it
                                    just dosn't encourage staking atall

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post

You can't play cash with someone you have shipped to. Mtts are fine afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by playuppompey pompeyplayup View Post
                                        club hits river,
                                        Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                        5starpool is a better omaha player than me and i agree with some of his thinking in this post, but you have to fold when he raises €22 more. This is 220 big blinds MORE to call when you could be chopping and facing someone with the club redraw, or facing the nutflush and a set. I prefer a call on the flop and maybe get it in against a brick on the turn, but raising is ok aswel i suppose.

Comment

Ok think I asked this before but

I'm in Sb with 4 BBs and I look down at 2 4os, am I always shoving here or do I give up the Sb and wait.

Just me and the BB in it? No/small ante?

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post

I'm in Sb with 4 BBs and I look down at 2 4os, am I always shoving here or do I give up the Sb and wait.

It would depend on a few factors like his stack size/prizemoney/table aggresssion/how many players left etc, but in a vacuum i let it go. You'll get a better chance to ship before the blinds come back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                              It would depend on a few factors like his stack size/prizemoney/table aggresssion/how many players left etc, but in a vacuum i let it go. You'll get a better chance to ship before the blinds come back to you.
                                              Last time I did let it go I got I few weird I was wrong looks. But thought I made the right play.

Comment

Last time I did let it go I got I few weird I was wrong looks. But thought I made the right play.
                                                You're probably better shipping with 42o than J2o tho, because there's more chance you'll have live cards if you're called.

Comment

It depends on a load of factors.
                                                  For example how wide will the BB call? If he has only 5 or 6 BB himself then he may not call light which improves the chances of the shove getting through. Or you may have him pegged as a supernit which leads to a shove as well.
                                                  What stage of the game are we at and are the chip stacks of players not in this hand less than yours? Does having 4BB put you at close to average (not completely unknown ) Is there anyone with less than 1BB who can't survive another round etc. For example I play turbo SNGs on Stars and there are loads of bubble/itm scenarios where this is an insta fold, and ditto loads of situations where its an insta push.
                                                  In a knowledge vacuum, where I don't know any of these answers, then I'd say its a shove.

Comment

Live tournie so I am short stacked. The Villain has 7/8 BB but know will call. Middle of game so nothing going on. Ie people are content to sit on stacks and blinds are not forcing hands to much.

@ Flushdraw I see where you are coming from, but I would still rather push with something I might be ahead with when I know I am getting called. With 4 2os I am never ever ahead. Least with a K or Q I might be called with suited connectors.

Comment

I was just wondering how rackback worked,I was thinking of puting $400-$500 online and playing 5c/10c and playing for on average 3 hours per day so realistically how much could I expect to get in rackback?also any recomandations on what would be the best site for it?
                                                      Thanks

Comment

How many tables? You'e overrolled for .5/.10 if you're putting that much on. Also, FA RB at .5/.10

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                          You're probably better shipping with 42o than J2o tho, because there's more chance you'll have live cards if you're called.
                                                          Except for a situation like this with only 1 player remaining, heads up I'd much rather the later.

Comment

Originally posted by _UTG_ View Post
                                                            Except for a situation like this with only 1 player remaining, heads up I'd much rather the later.
                                                            Weird how I was thinking about this again.

But that was my thinking. Knowing the villian was calling with anything I would be better shipping with the J and hoping I might have a high card.

Comment

Originally posted by pflynn10 View Post
                                                              I was just wondering how rackback worked,I was thinking of puting $400-$500 online and playing 5c/10c and playing for on average 3 hours per day so realistically how much could I expect to get in rackback?also any recomandations on what would be the best site for it?
                                                              Thanks
                                                              I just had a look at my hem and you rake approx $21 per 1k hands at 20nl.

Then its up to you how many tables you play and all that sort of stuff.

I have 60% rb and 9 table so that means playing 3 hours would provide me with $25 rakeback.
                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                I just had a look at my hem and you rake approx $21 per 1k hands at 20nl.

Then its up to you how many tables you play and all that sort of stuff.

I have 60% rb and 9 table so that means playing 3 hours would provide me with $25 rakeback.
                                                                what site is it you get 60% rb from?also what site would you recomend for someone starting out online?
                                                                thanks

Comment

what site is it you get 60% rb from?also what site would you recomend for someone starting out online?
                                                                  thanks
                                                                  shush... check some signatures...

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                                                                    How many tables? You'e overrolled for .5/.10 if you're putting that much on. Also, FA RB at .5/.10

http://www.rakebrain.com/rakeback-calculator.php
                                                                    Here was me thinking that your br system was made to suit you. How do you know that this person is overrolled for 5/10c? He only has 40 or 50 buy ins for those stakes. Unless you know more about this player than is in this thread?

Thanks
                                                                    There is a thread that would be useful for you here:

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                                                      Here was me thinking that your br system was made to suit you. How do you know that this person is overrolled for 5/10c? He only has 40 or 50 buy ins for those stakes. Unless you know more about this player than is in this thread?

Good point well made...

TC

Comment

I personally have 100 buyins for the level i play at. Everyone is different there is def a lower level not to go under but on the higher end its personal choices that effect it.
                                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Just got some money on stars.

Noticed that the quick betting option like on iPoker(1/2 pot 1/4 pot) are not there. Anyway to get em there or is that it?
                                                                          Last edited by MegaSin; 06-11-10, 16:18.

Comment

Just god some money on stars.

Noticed that the quick betting option like on iPoker(1/2 pot 1/4 pot) are not there. Anyway to get em there or is that it?
                                                                            Not on stars Megasin. Just what you see is what you get afaik.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Just god some money on stars.

Like Caf says I think it's just what you get. Use it as an opportunity to improve your game. A lot of people use those buttons without thinking so just try and think about why you are betting and what amount you think will achieve this. Stack sizes very important.
                                                                              Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

#40
                                                                                Cheers guys. I suppose it will make me think about my bets alot more.

Just I seen some people intsa bet out odd amounts. But I am guessing this is some 3rd party software?

Comment

#41

Just I seen some people intsa bet out odd amounts. But I am guessing this is some 3rd party software?
                                                                                  I always meant to look for something on Stars to highlight the bet amount so you can make quicker bets when needed. I'm usually too busy playing when I remember it so just had a nose around the options and think I just found it:

In main lobby click 'options', then click 'advanced multi-table options...', then click on 'highlight bet amount'. This should mean that when you have the cursor active on a table that you can instant type in your bet and press enter to speed it up for you. You can also click on 'single click table activation' which will make it more like what you are used to on ipoker.

All the cool kids are doing it

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I always meant to look for something on Stars to highlight the bet amount so you can make quicker bets when needed. I'm usually too busy playing when I remember it so just had a nose around the options and think I just found it:

In main lobby click 'options', then click 'advanced multi-table options...', then click on 'highlight bet amount'. This should mean that when you have the cursor active on a table that you can instant type in your bet and press enter to speed it up for you. You can also click on 'single click table activation' which will make it more like what you are used to on ipoker.

All the cool kids are doing it
                                                                                    Is this not standard? whoops don't remember setting this up..sorry should have mentioned it.
                                                                                    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

#43

They're using tableninja

Whether you play four tables or twenty-four, TableNinja will change how you play poker by giving you the time-saving features that pros need to win. Concentrate on making winning poker decisions while TableNinja handles the rest.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by BobSloane View Post
                                                                                        They're using tableninja

http://tableninja.com/
                                                                                        yep, tableninja can also do this very fast. You can configure it up so that you bet/raise a % of the pot or any number of big blinds.

tableninja makes multitabling a breeze imo.
                                                                                        NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

#45
                                                                                          also use table ninja and its the nuts,
                                                                                          but todays stars update might have what your looking for, lets you choose 3 different types of bet sizing and they put them as buttons just above the normal buttons
                                                                                          Last edited by Laois Hammer; 10-11-10, 14:06.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Just a QQ

When trying to convert a PS hand I am always getting this now

Error: Failed to parse game header

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Just a QQ

When trying to convert a PS hand I am always getting this now
                                                                                              Is it flopturnriver you are trying to use?

I've only had that problem with mixed game mtt hands.

~Probably stupid of me to ask have you sopied the entire hh, so I won't ask.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                dublin poker tonight (sat)

In Dublin tonight looking to play poker. Anyone online now know a bit about Dublin poker clubs buy ins and rough no.s tonight (sat), I have looked up a bit and know below,any other info would be great, cheers.

Club Buy in No.s
                                                                                                Fitzwilliam 120
                                                                                                Sporting Emporium 70
                                                                                                Jackpot
                                                                                                Cellbridge

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Expect anything between 20-40 for the fitz game (from ooking at their tournie resuts online for numbers). No idea about the rest I;m afraid.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Is it flopturnriver you are trying to use?

I've only had that problem with mixed game mtt hands.

~Probably stupid of me to ask have you sopied the entire hh, so I won't ask.
                                                                                                    Yeah it was FTR, but using the dueces cracked one now and all seems to be fine.

Was copying the entrie thing as well. No idea what was happening.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Anyone any tips on the best way to learn to play poker properly?

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Originally posted by MrWynn View Post
                                                                                                        Maybe u should put up a bit of your poker background so far for people to be able to give u better advice.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Do you know what hands are best?
                                                                                                          Do you know the basics of texas holdem?
                                                                                                          Need a bit more info if we are gonna help ya.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Play a lot - especially different kinds of games. Play tourneys, cash and sit&gos.

Study a lot - read books, read theory sections on forums, watch training videos.
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Hi guys do you know if there can be a swap from players done and if so do you know anyone. I want to swap 1,66 dolls for boyles so i can withdraw obv the money will be sent first

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Theycall me GINNIE View Post
                                                                                                                Hi guys do you know if there can be a swap from players done and if so do you know anyone. I want to swap 1,66 dolls for boyles so i can withdraw obv the money will be sent first
                                                                                                                You wont be able to withdraw a Player to Player transfer directly.

Its considered money laundering.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post

Well obviously ciaran i would play a few games on boyles begore hand

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Would be best to give him what he wants Ciaran ,

You dont want him starving himself again

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                                      Would be best to give him what he wants Ciaran ,

You dont want him starving himself again
                                                                                                                      Very funny damo, wouldnt say ud last an hour without eating

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post

What is the story with this Ciaran, how much do you have to play for the monsy to be fully "yours"?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X