Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live abroad

I would like a vote on referendums & think it would probably be good if I was allowed

With regard to government, they are all shades of grey anyway and I won't be governed by them so...

However if my getting a vote allows some Yank/Brit with an IRA/UDA tattoo, a U2 collection, a boring story about some grandfather from Tipp/Enniskillen and a "What kind of Irishman doesn't drink whiskey" (Paddy or Powers too boot) attitude a vote

Well then, fuck me if I can't take that Irish politics is a joke!

Comment

What about allowing people who have moved to here (long term/permanently) to vote... and I dont just mean EU and local elections.
      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
        What about allowing people who have moved to here (long term/permanently) to vote... and I dont just mean EU and local elections.
        They are paying tax, they should have a say in how their tax monies are spent!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          What do you mean by that? (I'm conscious of how it's difficult to guage a person's emotions from text, I assure you I'm asking out of curiosity)

Do you mean it would be difficult for me to express my atheism in those times?

If so, I totally agree, and I hope you aknowledge that backs up my point.

If you mean I would not have have actually been atheist, due to social constraints, well that too backs up my point, but I would disagree.

I first questioned everything when I was about ten years old. I had learned that I belonged to a group that were the only true people. The only ones going to heaven. Everyone else was wrong.
          I remember thinking that seemed a little off.
          I wondered about other people, other kids in school, and what they were being taught. If they were being taught the same thing, that they were correct and we were the ones that were wrong.

I actually remember thinking, 'well, if one group is wrong, everyone is wrong'.

The one thing I remember well about that time and those thoughts is fear. The inner turmoil. This is mid 1980s, catholicism permeated everything. I fought those thoughts for years, racked with guilt, shame and confusion, unable to express it to anyone. Everything you were taught as a child doesn't seem to be true, but you've no alternative.

Then I learned about evolution by natural selection.

I would absolutely have been atheist in 1950, a contented social pariah.
          I'm sure you would have if you had been brought up the way you have been now. You may still have been even at the time, but we can't know.. What we do know is most people would not be atheist.

People don't realise how much their upbringing and society affects them. Try talking to most people that are 80/90 years old and they will have no logic at all on this topic, they have been moulded since birth, my mother would not even be able to grasp that God could not exist. Perfectly intelligent and logical in every other topic as they weren't beat into them from birth.

It's easy to say you wouldn't believe in God and would have acted on it back then from our current viewpoint and free, more open upbringing, same as nobody would say they would have slaves back in the day. Guess what, most people would yet we find it abhorrent now and like to think we are above all that. There is a Lazare in the future saying he would never have been complicit in the barbaric boiling of crustaceans alive even if he had lived in the 21st century

Kind of a silly thought experiment in general, but it's something I've thought about before, when looking back on others and what they did, it's quite complex and we can't just apply our current personalities to people back then. We would not be the same people as we are now. People go along with societal norms in general, that is why they are societal norms. As time goes on this becomes more lax for us as society is becoming more liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            So, you are not actually placing your argument in the context of the time but instead in some imagined State where Catholicism was not the de facto State religion.

It doesn't work. Unless as the basis for a movie or a novel.

And Ireland was far from unique. Look at what happened in Spain for example.
            Well you did ask a hypothetical question in fairness. Your question supposed an imagined state.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Good post Tar, fair points.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

No representation without taxation imo.

All those non-domiciled Irish who wish to vote in the presidential election should be allowed to do so. On receipt of a €1,000 surcharge.
                Also all those paying tax here should have a general election vote.
                I wouldn't object at all to seanad constituencies for various emigrant groups.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  Well you did ask a hypothetical question in fairness. Your question supposed an imagined state.
                  Conor, would you agree that telling all Muslims they should be ashamed of themselves is wrong?

I like you but the way you go on these liberal crusades and try to shout down resonable arguments with "they threw babies in the sewer so I am right" is the exact reason we have Trump and Brexit.

You have to respect people and respect their views if you want to engage and try and help them see a different way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    Also all those paying tax here should have a general election vote.
                    I wouldn't object at all to seanad constituencies for various emigrant groups.
                    As much as I agree with that it gets messy.

Should non Irish people claiming benefits get a vote? Irish people on the dole?

Comment

2017. What are today's societal norms ? Have ye all bent to adapt .

Fwiw I think Lazare would have been a durty atheist back then .
                      Pagons everywhere dragging on our trip man.
                      Anyone remember making up sins to get through confession ?
                      The looking up Nora Vs skirt was a recurring infringement that got me a gansyload of hail marys. I still owe them to Jesus .

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post

They pay VAT for one so yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                          I live abroad

I would like a vote on referendums & think it would probably be good if I was allowed

With regard to government, they are all shades of grey anyway and I won't be governed by them so...

However if my getting a vote allows some Yank/Brit with an IRA/UDA tattoo, a U2 collection, a boring story about some grandfather from Tipp/Enniskillen and a "What kind of Irishman doesn't drink whiskey" (Paddy or Powers too boot) attitude a vote

This proposal would not allow you a referendum vote, just presidential elections.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                            This proposal would not allow you a referendum vote, just presidential elections.
                            Have to imagine it would be slippery slope towards that though.

Comment

It was the whole 'making up sins' business for the first confession and any subsequent ones (crazy to think I haven't been in probably 25 years) that I remember as my first 'hmm, this is surely complete nonsense!' moment. I remember very distinctly thinking that what we were encouraged to give as 'sins' were just normal things that everyone did and there was zero chance in my mind that they were wrong things to do; fighting with your siblings, talking back to your parents etc... How could anyone believe that pre-teen children are capable of sin and that God needs to forgive them?

I honestly don't think I ever actually believed in God. Every time I heard the story of Doubting Thomas I was like 'he's my dog in this fight; how could you blindly have faith?'

My mind isn't built like that; I smile when I hear people on TV or radio who, when asked if they believe in God, say 'no, but I'm a really spiritual person...' Scared if you don't admit to having a spiritual side, people might think you are an unfeeling automaton, a mere organic computer. I don't think I have a spiritual side at all! Maybe I just don't understand what spiritual means for these people.

Comment

It was slightly tricky to convince my missus we won't be having our child baptised (what about schools she says, which is the only possible reason, but not enough for me). I'm sure my mother and her parents (who are only in their 60's but still mass goers) will be aghast at this choice though.

Comment

I know

Comment

It was slightly tricky to convince my missus we won't be having our child baptised (what about schools she says, which is the only possible reason, but not enough for me). I'm sure my mother and her parents (who are only in their 60's but still mass goers) will be aghast at this choice though.
                                    Quare maths going on in my head for that one!

Comment

Stade Francais and Racing 92 to merge at end of season.

Comment

2 kids , none baptised. Lots of negotiations to be done at the pearly school gates . When other kids are having 1st holy communion days out I will raid his college fund and take him to Euro Disney.

Comment

Just make sure about local schools.....
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            Stade Francais and Racing 92 to merge at end of season.
                                            http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/0...cais-to-merge/
                                            Lorenzetti had enough?

Comment

Even though i've not lived in France for over 20 years, i'm still allowed to vote in presidential elections and referendums (and have done so at every opportunity). The only admin i have to go through is ensure i am registered with the french consulate in the country i live in. i also get a vote for the European parliament as France has a number of MEPs representing expats.

surprised to hear it's not the same thing in Ireland tbh.

Comment

Just make sure about local schools.....
                                                Ya that is to be the clincher. There is an educate together primary school beside where we are moving, will need to ask them what the situation I for secondary schools, but I hope it won't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                  Quare maths going on in my head for that one!
                                                  My wife's parents are in their 60's I mean. My mother is in her 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    Even though i've not lived in France for over 20 years, i'm still allowed to vote in presidential elections and referendums (and have done so at every opportunity). The only admin i have to go through is ensure i am registered with the french consulate in the country i live in. i also get a vote for the European parliament as France has a number of MEPs representing expats.

surprised to hear it's not the same thing in Ireland tbh.
                                                    Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                    I live abroad

Above is basically the reason, about 100 million people with a claim on Irishness on planet, an awful lot of them have claims on a passport due to the candle in the Presidents window, it's a way of stopping them hijacking the vote and voting for any auld shite from a 200 year old ballad

Comment

Looks like the Scots are going to have a second independence referendum in early 2019 - I can see this one getting over the line.

Interesting timing for Westminster though - they can hardly use their previous dire warnings of what would happen to Scotland if it split away whilst simultaneously trying to maintain that Brexit isn't going to change much.

Comment

Doesn't the house of commons or UK government though have to sign off on allowing them to have a second referendum though? Also Spain, and possibly Belgium would presumably still object to Scotland joining the EU as an independent councillor, never mind how annoyed the rest of the UK (i.e. England essentially) would be in terms of future trade.

Comment

Doesn't the house of commons or UK government though have to sign off on allowing them to have a second referendum though? Also Spain, and possibly Belgium would presumably still object to Scotland joining the EU as an independent councillor, never mind how annoyed the rest of the UK (i.e. England essentially) would be in terms of future trade.
                                                          Be some craic in NI if they split and get into EU

bordered on both sides by EU with England/Wales not really giving a fuck about them and calling them Irish most of the time as it is!

Comment

My wife's parents are in their 60's I mean. My mother is in her 80's.
                                                            Ya, I got it after a 2nd reading. Was beginning to think you had aged badly for a teenager

Comment

Doesn't the house of commons or UK government though have to sign off on allowing them to have a second referendum though?
                                                              Couple of the papers I've looked at (Guardian, London Independent) seem to think its unlikely to be refused.

Also Spain, and possibly Belgium would presumably still object to Scotland joining the EU as an independent country, never mind how annoyed the rest of the UK (i.e. England essentially) would be in terms of future trade.
                                                              I don't think Spain will object when it comes down to it, after all they didn't refuse 'splitters' like Latvia or Slovakia etc. Would be a bit of nuclear option to do so on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post

Would you like to know more.....?
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I did a 'holy well' thing with Dara Molly (same dude that married us).
                                                                  went here which is pretty much a field beside someones garden near the national stud.
                                                                  Complete bunkum but ticked a load of necessary boxes.
                                                                  Everyone that went got to tie rags around the tress and shit.
                                                                  bit of craic in fairness, I got chased by a bee
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I've a target for cheltenham now
                                                                    Find Semi Detached Houses for Sale in Chapelizod, Dublin. Search 2 Semi Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

or

Have my first 40k locked away in a stonewall day one accumulator
                                                                    Just need GAB to weigh in for the rest....

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      I did a 'holy well' thing with Dara Molly (same dude that married us).
                                                                      went here which is pretty much a field beside someones garden near the national stud.
                                                                      Complete bunkum but ticked a load of necessary boxes.
                                                                      Everyone that went got to tie rags around the tress and shit.
                                                                      bit of craic in fairness, I got chased by a bee
                                                                      I was considering it until the bee part. I'm ruling it out though on that basis.

Comment

Final declarations for the tipping comp....

Currently racing for €2,050. There'll be plenty of actual races in the UK where you wouldn't get that much for coming first!

Comment

Find Semi Detached Houses for Sale in Chapelizod, Dublin. Search 2 Semi Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

or

I like how the throne is elevated.
                                                                          Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 13-03-17, 14:24.
                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt View Post
                                                                            IMO
                                                                            President = Yes
                                                                            Dancing with the Stars = Yes
                                                                            real Political referendum or elections = GTFO
                                                                            I would say no overall tbh. The huge numbers of plastic paddys in the UK and US who would vote for Adams for president based on a misguided sense of nationalism.

They can however have the dancing with the stars

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                              I like how the throne is elevated.
                                                                              most important seat in the house

Comment

most important seat in the house
                                                                                Cheapo looking seat on it - head into The Shelbourne and lift one of theirs

Comment

Final declarations for the tipping comp....

Currently racing for €2,050. There'll be plenty of actual races in the UK where you wouldn't get that much for coming first!
                                                                                  €2200 now.....
                                                                                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 13-03-17, 15:32. Reason: Moar!

Comment

or

The smaller place is better value IMO. Bigger place would be ok if you were looking to let it.
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      The smaller place is better value IMO. Bigger place would be ok if you were looking to let it.
                                                                                      Is pitched low IMO. Will easily clear 350 for it. Love that rooftop garden. Must get a pay rise so I can afford it.
                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Missus just got a call from Leopardstown to say she has won a weekend in the Presidential suite of the Cliff @ Lyons, from a racecard competition in December

We're not going to ask any questions anyway, ship ship.

Comment

Lorenzetti had enough?
                                                                                          Seems as if it might be the opposite, with Racing 92 being the aggressor in the deal and effectively taking over SF. According to that Mourad Blujelly guy who banrolls Toulon.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay in Tenerife ?

Got cheap ass flights but accommodation has me stumped.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Sitting joint 32nd in fantasy for the month of march with just one gameweek left, both baines and llorente getting injured fucked me last week and will fuck me again this week as I am going to bench boost. 14 points behind the leader, it can most definitely be done!

Official Fantasy Premier League 2023/24. Free to play fantasy football game, set up your fantasy football team at the Official Premier League site.

On another note, still haven't booked a hotel in vegas, resort fees are shit!! Should tell you how much it will be at time of booking
                                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                On another note, still haven't booked a hotel in vegas, resort fees are shit!! Should tell you how much it will be at time of booking
                                                                                                Yeah it's bullshit. I stayed in Harrah's in Jan. Resort fee was $32/night. If you don't care about gym/pool access, Wifi in the room was $20/night on it's own. Pool was closed and I'm hardly gonna use the gym, so I chose to go WiFi only. When I went to check out they had charged me the full resort fee. Had a great time trying to get my $48 back from reception.

Is a huge scam.
                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Goal for the next few days, get to the point where winning the cheltenham comp is at least break even for the week
                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                    Yeah it's bullshit. I stayed in Harrah's in Jan. Resort fee was $32/night. If you don't care about gym/pool access, Wifi in the room was $20/night on it's own. Pool was closed and I'm hardly gonna use the gym, so I chose to go WiFi only. When I went to check out they had charged me the full resort fee. Had a great time trying to get my $48 back from reception.

Is a huge scam.
                                                                                                    I'm pretty sure it is auto charged whether you use it or not right? You get the money back in the end?

Think I am going to book downtown and go to freemont because of no resort fee, then taxi it to the rio the couple of days I'll actually play poker. I do want to hang out by some pools though, hmmmmmm
                                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Goal for the next few days, get to the point where winning the cheltenham comp is at least break even for the week
                                                                                                      Do you need to go for a few pince m8? Would keep you from punting monkeys on dags.

Comment

...Ed Sheeran ...

...What are the chances anyone can get 2 tickets to Ed Sheeran, any date and pretty much any location in Europe?... Have tried every avenue but no luck...Don't mind paying a finders fee if necessary...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                          ...What are the chances anyone can get 2 tickets to Ed Sheeran, any date and pretty much any location in Europe?... Have tried every avenue but no luck...Don't mind paying a finders fee if necessary...
                                                                                                          There was a London extra date show added that went on sale at 5pm today. Is that sold out already?

Edit - Jesus they are gone already. His huge popularity is just something I can't understand.

Opr
                                                                                                          Last edited by Opr; 13-03-17, 17:40.

Comment

a new London show has been added - o2 on 22nd June
                                                                                                            Tickets onsale at 5pm today wouldnt be gone already would they?

Comment

whelp...they are gone

Comment

whelp...they are gone
                                                                                                                ...They went at 17:00 FFS, well maybe not but i clicked at this time and didn't get him...I think he is just an amazing singer, like Adele in the Female version...Would happily fly to London/Rome etc but just can't get them...Fuck it, if I somehow ship the Cheltenham Tipping comp i'll buy off seatwave at disgusting prices...
                                                                                                                ...PS, please keeping looking for poor flabby Liam...

Comment

...They went at 17:00 FFS, well maybe not but i clicked at this time and didn't get him...I think he is just an amazing singer, like Adele in the Female version...Would happily fly to London/Rome etc but just can't get them...Fuck it, if I somehow ship the Cheltenham Tipping comp i'll buy off seatwave at disgusting prices...
                                                                                                                  ...PS, please keeping looking for poor flabby Liam...
                                                                                                                  *fwiw If you are willing to wait until the day before a gig I have never failed to get tickets on toutless for any gig. Even small venue stuff were the tickets seem like gold dust generally pop up the night and day of the gig. With something like someone playing the 3Arena for a couple of nights I think you will find plenty floating around near the gig.

*I am not in anyway responsible if you wait and don't get a ticket

Opr

Comment

Two hours remaining to enter the IPB tipping comp.

Currently we have 44 runners racing for €2,200.

You could buy many things for that kind of scratch, including human beings.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is auto charged whether you use it or not right? You get the money back in the end?

Think I am going to book downtown and go to freemont because of no resort fee, then taxi it to the rio the couple of days I'll actually play poker. I do want to hang out by some pools though, hmmmmmm
                                                                                                                      There are resort fees in the 'nicer' hotels downtown and off Strip as well, unfortunately Am staying at the Golden Nugget for four nights as of this Wednesday, never stayed downtown before but had a great experience visiting there last April so it's be a decent change I hope. Defo a relatively chunky resort fee at the Nugget.

Back to the Wynn for five nights after an interlude in South Lake Tahoe on the slopes (though we are staying in another casino resort there, mad). This is our big holiday of the year, cannot wait to go!

Actually, our flight leaves at 9.30 on Wednesday morning, direct to the East Coast so pre-clearance in Dublin. Do we have to get there at 6.30? Would love an extra while in bed...

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                        *fwiw If you are willing to wait until the day before a gig I have never failed to get tickets on toutless for any gig. Even small venue stuff were the tickets seem like gold dust generally pop up the night and day of the gig. With something like someone playing the 3Arena for a couple of nights I think you will find plenty floating around near the gig.

*I am not in anyway responsible if you wait and don't get a ticket

Opr
                                                                                                                        ...100% yes to this offer if you can...I'd be willing to wait until an hour before it if necessary...Thank you in advance :-)...

Comment

Does not apply to sporting events unfortunately . Toutless has been getting tougher to find tickets through I have found aswell fwiw, which date suits ya best luckforsome? will keep an eye out
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X