Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
    The healthier you are the tougher it’ll be!
    Then you're in better shape to enjoy it.

Surely retiring while simultaneously being banjaxed limits you to a future of daytime TV and not much else?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Then you're in better shape to enjoy it.

Surely retiring while simultaneously being banjaxed limits you to a future of daytime TV and not much else?
      I was joking that if you’re fit and healthy you’ll need a bigger pot to retire as you’ll have longer to prepare for!

Comment

Top 20 Tunes 2019

My annual argument with myself to come up with my favourite tunes of the year along with the link to a Spotify playlist containing all the songs

20) Soak – Maybe
        19) Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall
        18) Hot Chip – Hungry Child
        17) Bombay Bicycle Club - Eat, Sleep, Wake (Nothing But You)
        16) Maggie Rogers – Burning
        15) Two Door Cinema Club – Once
        14) HAIM – Summer Girl
        13) Le Boom x AE MAK – Dancing Bug
        12) The Murder Capital - More is Less
        11) Sorcha Richardson – First Prize Bravery
        10) Foals – In Degrees
        9) Columbia Mills – Who Am I supposed to talk to now?
        8) Bon Iver – Hey Ma
        7) Mango x MathMan - Deep Blue
        6) Billie Eilish – Everything I Wanted
        5) Lizzo – Truth Hurts
        4) The National – Not in Kansas
        3) The Murder Capital – Don’t Cling to Life
        2) Fontaines D.C. – Roy’s Tune
        1) Fontaines D.C. – Dublin City Sky

Comment

1/20

SPOILER
          Billie Eilish and only because my daughter is obsessed

Comment

0/20

At least have heard of The Murder Capital as one of band members aul lads (i say aul lad he's he same age as me ) plays poker regularly.

Comment

A lot of people vying to be 1st born in 1970 on this forum it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                Not a restaurant recommendation but the Guinness storehouse is a massively overhyped let down. Probably the worst tour of a place I've done..

If you can, do the Jameson tour in Smithfield, it's better than Guinness by a distance and the samples are generous.

I did them both in the same day before and wouldn't recommend Guinness at all tbh.
                I did the Guinness tour before. The bar at the end is the highlight imo and the reason we’re going back. As we’re already on site for Roe & Co.
                I try to do a different whiskey tour every time I’m back. So I’ve done Jameson Biw st before. It’s pretty good. As were the Jameson Tour in Middleton, Bushmills, Teelings and the whiskey museum.
                If they keep opening distilleries I’ll keep visiting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                  My annual argument with myself to come up with my favourite tunes of the year along with the link to a Spotify playlist containing all the songs

20) Soak – Maybe
                  14) HAIM – Summer Girl
                  10) Foals – In Degrees
                  8) Bon Iver – Hey Ma
                  5) Lizzo – Truth Hurts

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4k...TZalMWHXxxiNXA
                  I know a lot of these. Have I been not with it so long 'it' has come back around and hit me as it passes again?
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

My Da told me a cracking story last night, broke me up.

My folks live in Spain in a golf resort. It's kinda like a retirement community, mostly Brits and Irish.

They were hosting a 70th birthday one evening in their apartment for a friend of theirs, an English lady.

There was a bunch of people there, mostly close friends and a few they knew to see.

There was this one English woman that my Da had never set eyes on before.

He was doing the bit of hosting. She calls him over and says to him, as if he was a waiter... 'Hi, can I have a Baileys please, with ice'. Sure, he says, then she calls him back and says 'can you make sure it's real Baileys'

He was like 'who dafuq does this one think she is'

He goes inside to the drinks table that my Mam has all set up. There's a full bottle of Baileys there and a half bottle of Aldi knock off.

He's tempted, is about to, but decides 'hang on, this oul wan can probably smell a knock off from 50 yards' so he plays it safe to avoid the awkwardness and pours her a Baileys from the new bottle. Grand.

15 minutes later, your wan, puts her finger in the air when my Da's passing, points at her glass and says 'excuse me, another Baileys please'

Well, he says to himself, fuck this one and pours her a glass of knock off.
                    She doesn't notice.
                    About five times during the night this happens, each time he pours her a knock off.

The night starts to draw to a close, people start leaving.

Your wan gets up, goes over to my Mam and says 'thank you very much for the party. Do you mind if I take what's left of my bottle of Baileys?'

She'd only gone and brought the fucking bottle of Baileys to the party herself. And my Da filling her full of Aldi shite all night, his own Aldi shite.

Mam goes 'sure, of course' oblivious to the hustle and goes and grabs her a pretty much full bottle of Baileys.

My Da standing there as the oul wan looks at the bottle all drunkenly confused.

He said he just legged it.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                      Not a restaurant recommendation but the Guinness storehouse is a massively overhyped let down. Probably the worst tour of a place I've done..

If you can, do the Jameson tour in Smithfield, it's better than Guinness by a distance and the samples are generous.

I did them both in the same day before and wouldn't recommend Guinness at all tbh.
                      Couldn't disagree more. it's a fantastic purpose built exhibition (not a tour), and clearly there's a reason why it's the most visited place in Dublin by a country mile (although let's be fair, there's not a huge amount of competition). very well thought out and highly enjoyable imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        I did the Guinness tour before. The bar at the end is the highlight imo and the reason we’re going back. As we’re already on site for Roe & Co.
                        I try to do a different whiskey tour every time I’m back. So I’ve done Jameson Biw st before. It’s pretty good. As were the Jameson Tour in Middleton, Bushmills, Teelings and the whiskey museum.
                        If they keep opening distilleries I’ll keep visiting them.
                        I did the Tullamore Dew tour and taste over the weekend
                        Very enjoyable hour and a half
                        Got 3 samples of their whiskey, not a lover of any whiskey but enjoyed the samples and the knowledgable tour guide

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                          Forest avenue or suesey street are good low key options.
                          Suesey street looks right up my street. Probably a bit far from Guinness for the parents to be walking.
                          So now the plan is share food somewhere closer. Seen a place called Variety Jones on Instagram. Might do the trick (edit: except it’s closed til 5:30)
                          Last edited by Mellor; 01-01-20, 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            I know a lot of these. Have I been not with it so long 'it' has come back around and hit me as it passes again?
                            7 or 8 of the 20 bands/artists have been in previous top 20 lists so maybe you just have a decent memory...

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Suesey street looks right up my street. Probably a bit far from Guinness for the parents to be walking.

So now the plan is share food somewhere closer. Seen a place called Variety Jones on Instagram. Might do the trick
                              Variety Jones just picked up a Michelin star late last year. Food is very good and is quite reasonably priced. If you can get a table, definitely go.

Comment

Variety Jones just picked up a Michelin star late last year. Food is very good and is quite reasonably priced. If you can get a table, definitely go.
                                I just read that too. Food looks great. Close to Guinness. Ticks all the boxes.
                                But doesn’t appear to be open. Looks like they are changing over to a tasting menu for 2020.
                                Might ring to be sure, either way it’s on the list for next trip.

Comment

7 or 8 of the 20 bands/artists have been in previous top 20 lists so maybe you just have a decent memory...
                                  quite possibly. Maybe you are just getting old then
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                    quite possibly. Maybe you are just getting old then
                                    I'm ok with getting old, safe in the knowledge I'll never be as old as Dice or The Duke...

Comment

My annual argument with myself to come up with my favourite tunes of the year...

Anybody who goes to school to learn how to be in a rock 'n' roll band is doing it very very wrong IMO. FDC/TMC music sounds like a washed-out facsimile of what they are really yearning to be... the vastly superior originators Girl Band who had both album and live show of the year for me.

But it's just another instance of chancers co-opting something truly original, exciting and edgy and stripping it of its spirit to make it palatable to a more mainstream audience.

Nothing to see here really, music industry gonna music industry.

Comment

I'm ok with getting old, safe in the knowledge I'll never be as old as Dice or The Duke...
                                        When I go as bald as you, I won't be getting 12 haircuts a year.

Comment

So much wrong with this post, am surprised to see it's from you tbh.

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                          Anybody who goes to school to learn how to be in a rock 'n' roll band is doing it very very wrong IMO.
                                          What on earth is wrong with going to music school to meet like minded people, to collaborate, to learn from other people, to expand your knowledge?

Originally posted by BennyHiFi
                                          FDC/TMC music sounds like a washed-out facsimile of what they are really yearning to be... the vastly superior originators Girl Band who had both album and live show of the year for me.
                                          Ah here, 'a washed out facsimile' - Are you going out of your way to try to be the Eamon Dunphy of this site?

But it's just another instance of chancers co-opting something truly original, exciting and edgy and stripping it of its spirit to make it palatable to a more mainstream audience.
                                          Mainstream?!?!?!? You could not say that either FDC or TMC are mainstream or anywhere close to mainstream.

Nothing to see here really, music industry gonna music industry.
                                          More nonsense, FDC were self releasing singles a good 18 months before being signed to a label and TMC were playing together for about 2/3 years before getting signed. Your comment makes it sound like they are both manufactured bands straight out of X-Factor.

Comment

Had to put sunscreen on my head last couple of days a losing battle now rip hair.

Comment

20) Soak – Maybe
                                              14) HAIM – Summer Girl
                                              10) Foals – In Degrees
                                              8) Bon Iver – Hey Ma
                                              5) Lizzo – Truth Hurts

Nice list . No Lazarus Soul ?

Will add to me Spotify mist .

Comment

So much wrong with this post, am surprised to see it's from you tbh.

What on earth is wrong with going to music school to meet like minded people, to collaborate, to learn from other people, to expand your knowledge?

Ah here, 'a washed out facsimile' - Are you going out of your way to try to be the Eamon Dunphy of this site?

Mainstream?!?!?!? You could not say that either FDC or TMC are mainstream or anywhere close to mainstream.

More nonsense, FDC were self releasing singles a good 18 months before being signed to a label and TMC were playing together for about 2/3 years before getting signed. Your comment makes it sound like they are both manufactured bands straight out of X-Factor.
                                                Ah here . There is a degree of truth . Take some acid and listen again

It's very tough to be original and progressive with all that has been. I find I like a lot of new stuff just cause it's new however I often struggle to go beyond a few listens. I'm hoping the music industry will see a new rising , some new genius to blow us away . Until then we have to jump through the genres and eras to find something to satiate our tastebuds damaged by benal saturation . I found myzelf listening to SOAK. Nice. What have i become .

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                  Had to put sunscreen on my head last couple of days a losing battle now rip hair.
                                                  I dont remember you with hair ?

Comment

20) Soak – Maybe
                                                    14) HAIM – Summer Girl
                                                    10) Foals – In Degrees
                                                    8) Bon Iver – Hey Ma
                                                    5) Lizzo – Truth Hurts

I have heard of 5 of the bands or singers, mostly through a WhatsApp group of lads, some of whom discuss music occasionally. I would be fairly certain I've heard none of the songs though and couldn't pick any of the musicians out of a line up or identify them from listening to them.

Comment

@Lao Lao you've got to read Benny's absolute extirpation of some poor music King pretender's soul when they chose Fontaines DC.

Have never seen the man so angry.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

2016 - still stunned by the death toll.

Comment

Those Stryker employees in Cork sure know how to party.

Unrelated, but could be massive some on here.....

Clip Notes® at Great Clips: Personalized hairstyling notes in your customer profile guarantee the perfect haircut every visit, with any stylist. Stress-free and kid-friendly haircare.
                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                A question: Someone who has worked for me for the last year is leaving at the end of Jan to move to another country. Do you think I should get her a going away present? The relationship is all very friendly but within a standard work context. Not sure of the etiquette.
                                                                A card is nearly always appropriate and appreciated, the present can be trickier. It’ll depend on relationship.

Comment

I dunno, is playing Jimmy Fallon, Glastonbury, selling out Iveagh Gardens etc, not considered mainstream?

My friends are all big fans of them, I'm the minority opinion. Seeing them live, the disheveled appearance, smoking and drinking on stage, all just seemed like a silly facade. It's no different to what a polished pop band does, it's just a different genre. I know people who are what DFC are trying to come across like. The kinda guys that turn up to play a show after a 2 or 3 day session, and there's not much to want to emulate about them. So it's funny to someone putting that act on.

Comment

A question: Someone who has worked for me for the last year is leaving at the end of Jan to move to another country. Do you think I should get her a going away present? The relationship is all very friendly but within a standard work context. Not sure of the etiquette.
                                                                    Would be a lovely touch.
                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Favourite Albums of 2019 in no particular order:

Bedouine - Bird Songs of a Killjoy
                                                                      Julia Jacklin - Crushing
                                                                      Orville Peck - Pony
                                                                      Holly Herndon - Proto
                                                                      Sault - 5
                                                                      Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
                                                                      Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
                                                                      Calexico and Iron and Wine - Years to Burn
                                                                      FKA Twigs - Magdalene
                                                                      Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls
                                                                      Nilüfer Yanya - Miss Universe
                                                                      Burial - Tunes 2011-2019
                                                                      DJ Shadow - Our Pathetic Age
                                                                      Kankyo Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990
                                                                      Last edited by Ed; 02-01-20, 11:26.

Comment

Over to Dice and 5star

Comment

Glad to hear Orville is back, (0\14).

Orville the Duck, Keith Harris and Orville the Duck, I wish I could fly, CHRISTMAS TOTP, 1982, 80s christmas, christmas song, 80s christmas song, 80s music, 80s uk charts
                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            I dunno, is playing Jimmy Fallon, Glastonbury, selling out Iveagh Gardens etc, not considered mainstream?

My friends are all big fans of them, I'm the minority opinion. Seeing them live, the disheveled appearance, smoking and drinking on stage, all just seemed like a silly facade. It's no different to what a polished pop band does, it's just a different genre. I know people who are what DFC are trying to come across like. The kinda guys that turn up to play a show after a 2 or 3 day session, and there's not much to want to emulate about them. So it's funny to someone putting that act on.
                                                                            Definetely not mainstream.

They've had 7 singles released in the last 18 months and not one of them has managed to get into the Top 75 in the UK (Boys in the Better Land has been re-released a 2nd time in April this year and it still didn't break the top 75)

Their one album made it into the top ten in the UK for a grand total of one week and then dropped out of the top 40 and then out of the top 75 the following week.

They have a decent following in Ireland (I'd even go as far as to say Dublin)

Also, surely you know all about living in your own echo chamber, just because a handful of your mates like them, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

You won't be able to afford 12 haircuts a year when you retire young with a piss poor pension pot

Comment

0

Over to Dice and 5star
                                                                                0

Comment

I only know of 8 of the artists for LaoLao's and I have 80k-100k minutes of music under my belt this year, will give the playlist a go cheers.
                                                                                  Fav album was Fear Inoculum by Tool, but I'd say I only listened to two albums this year, don't listen to music like that.

My favourite thing about that release is it is 13 years since their last album so nobody had a fucking clue who this band of old men at number 1 were, knocking their taylor swift from the top.
                                                                                  At the same time their catalog came to digital platforms so all of their albums were in the top 10, adding to the confusion.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-01-20, 12:52.

Comment

0

Over to Dice and 5star
                                                                                    Obviously 0 for me too. They could be made up for all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

The faux Dub accents are annoying but the idea of pretending to be latter day pouges or Brendan Behan's is a bit pathetic.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

You won't be able to afford 12 haircuts a year when you retire young with a piss poor pension pot
                                                                                        I'll let it grow down to me arse and go for the crazy old dude vibe.

Might get some tattoos as well.

Comment

What you really need is a skate board. I've noticed a few mentalists in their 60s on them in recent years.
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                            Obviously 0 for me too. They could be made up for all I know.

Comment

Guess you know what your political prop bets should be this year.

Comment

...

Comment

I've had a poor year listening to new music but that Sharon van etten album that Ed posted, Remind me tomorrow is very special. Defeintely my most listened to album during the last year.

Jon Hopkins is playing a tour showcasing a side of himself that he hasn't really done before live or at least not in a good few years that I think a few here might enjoy. Coming to Dublin in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre in March.

The POLARITY tour will bring together the two disparate elements of harsh and fragile in my music, in some of the most incredible concert halls in Europe. In the 18 years I've been releasing music, about half the stuff I've done has been beatless and meditative, but so far on this tour I've been focussing on the upbeat ravey side. For the Polarity shows I will have a grand piano on stage and be joined by my long-term collaborator / legendary guitarist Leo Abrahams, violinist and arranger Emma Smith and cellist Laura Moody. This will be the first time I've had the opportunity to explore both the techno side and the meditative side of my music on a full tour
                                                                                                  "The POLARITY tour will bring together the two disparate elements of harsh and fragile in my music, in some of the most incredible concert halls in Europe. I...

Opr

Comment

Random 2019 album favs for anyone who cares

Steve Lacy - Apollo XXI
                                                                                                    Eli Escobar - Last Summer
                                                                                                    Shanti Celeste - Tangerine
                                                                                                    Murlo - Dolos
                                                                                                    Lynda Dawn - At First Sight
                                                                                                    DJ Shadow - Our Pathetic Age
                                                                                                    Kano - Hoodies All Summer
                                                                                                    Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
                                                                                                    Joe-Armon-Jones - Turn To A Clear View
                                                                                                    Loyle Carner - Not Waving But Drowning
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Why the fcuk do I keep arguing medical points on twitter. Five hundred responses to a rather sensible point noting that healthcare outcomes are more important to measure than the amount of people waiting on trolleys. You go to hospital to get better. Its not so difficult to understand.

Its an important point though as you can see from the UK that when the public becomes fixated on a particular measure then politicians spend all the resources trying to solve that measure, even if its not the best measure to address. Trolleys are far from the best measure.

Clearly we'd prefer our politicians and policy makers to be most focused on quality of life and length of life.
                                                                                                      Honestly I thought the responses to you were fairly convincing.

You seemed to be suggesting trolleys are not important to outcomes, the replies I read explained trolleys==overcrowding && overcrowding==worse outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                        Honestly I thought the responses to you were fairly convincing.

You seemed to be suggesting trolleys are not important to outcomes, the replies I read explained trolleys==overcrowding && overcrowding==worse outcomes.
                                                                                                        I heard a doctor fairly convincingly explain that the way to solve health service budgeting - forever - was to let people die naturally rather than keeping them alive in limbo.

This apparently is the state in which 90% of lifetime health cost is incurred.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

We also have to think about *why* its such a prominent measure. Why do the nurses unions focus on it so much. Maybe its an inherent interest in patient health, or maybe its a particularly useful measure for them. They will go on strike at a drop of a hat, so the idea that something they are doing is purely in the interests of patient health is at least worthy of a bit of doubt. I think the answer is more that they then link the trolley issue to understaffing, which they then link to poor pay. So its a focus that suits them in terms of getting a pay increase. Doesn't mean it should be what we as the public should focus on. Yet the media making all the news about this as its handy to just re-write press releases when you have to write eight articles a day has made it the de facto public measure.
                                                                                                              Do some actual research and produce a table of comparitive PS pay across the EU.

Comment

Popular IPB eaterie Fallon & Byrne shutting down its Rathmines shop.
                                                                                                                Fallon & Byrne, a restaurant, food hall and wine bar group, has confirmed the closure of its Rathmines outlet with immediate effect.

Comment

I heard a doctor fairly convincingly explain that the way to solve health service budgeting - forever - was to let people die naturally rather than keeping them alive in limbo.

This apparently is the state in which 90% of lifetime health cost is incurred.
                                                                                                                  I don't think even DNR's are a thing in Ireland.

Comment

Why the fcuk do I keep arguing on twitter?
                                                                                                                    FYP

Comment

Trolleys measure only post-admittance, known as the team-to-ward stage. As you can see here in this study of 20,000 admittances in St James they are one of the least significant (although still significant) predictors of health outcomes.

That's the point really. Its important, but its most definitely not the most important predictor of health outcomes as this study shows. Thats the problem - focusing on the least significant factor.
                                                                                                                      OK, but the tweet you were complaining about everybody giving stupid replies to said "no-one has ever linked sleeping on trolley vs bed to a single health outcome".

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                        Popular IPB eaterie Fallon & Byrne shutting down its Rathmines shop.
                                                                                                                        https://www.independent.ie/business/...-38829337.html
                                                                                                                        Would explain why the shutters were down fairly early yesterday afternoon but there was some staff in there who looked like they were doing some sort of a stock take.

Anytime I've been in it, it's always been busy. Obviously busy doesn't necessarily translate to profitable.

Sad to see it close as it was a good place to have locally. It's a very big shop so it would be interesting to see who (if anybody) takes on the space.

The Press Up lads seem to be one of the few places that are actively expanding at a fairly serious rate and it might suit them as they have Elephant and Castle and The Stella just down the road.

Comment

Twink special on RTE at 6.30pm - cant wait.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X