Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old Yesterday, 23:02   #53581
Hectorjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
And it was FF that has done the most for the environment through the plastic bag tax. Despite the Greens actually having shared power for a good few years.

The plastic bag tax that FF introduced was grand and had a huge impact (that Green's etc are now following with less practical things like straws), but the key was their decision to put all money raised from the plastic bag tax (and the landfill tax - which incidentally has more-or-less closed landfills) into a special 'Green Fund' with the EPA.

That has had a massive impact on knowledge of green issues in Ireland. E.g. it has led to the development of policies like the home insulation grants, educated many key policy makers etc.

As a country Ireland has made strong progress from almost zero environmentalism to okay environmentalism. None of it is traceable to the Greens.

Still a long way to go, but the route to the future is reasonably well set out. Richard Bruton's plans are excellent. Green's plans are just pure pie-in-the-sky idealism. E.g. passing an ordannance in Dun Laoighaire to make all new houses passiv housing - and thus adding maybe €100k to the cost of building a house there. I've forgotten the precise details of the Dun Laoighaire thing, but it's not a million miles from that. Most of the policies on their website are pure nonsense.

The greens would turn your argument around. All those tiny improvements mean almost nothing. Living the way we do now is pie-in-the-skie idealism. The fact you highlight the plastic bag tax as a huge win means we're on very different pages as to exactly the situation the world is in right now.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:06   #53582
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
If the other parties don't even bother mentioning a lot of stuff that people care more and more about, it's their own fault. http://robincafolla.com/2019-05-05/C...ihEVUuRL2UQ5rY
Having a line 'Declare a climate emergency', shows the shambolic nature of that chart given the meaningless nature of that. EPP even come out bad on carbon trading despite being fundamental in actually introducing carbon trading! (unlike the Greens who had no role). Would I be right in thinking that Robin who created that chart isn't fully neutral on the matter?!

I'm not against European Greens by the way. Love pro-climate policies. Just Irish Greens who are demonstrably anti-Green in their actual policies.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:11   #53583
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
The greens would turn your argument around. All those tiny improvements mean almost nothing. Living the way we do now is pie-in-the-skie idealism. The fact you highlight the plastic bag tax as a huge win means we're on very different pages as to exactly the situation the world is in right now.
I see you've changed tack from the previous claim I knew nothing about the issue. Just skipped right over it really!

If plastic bags are minor, then I guess recent Green focus on plastic straws is what?

Well sure tell me one practical policy the Irish Greens have to address the big issues? Like a proposed law that will have actual impact. It doesn't in itself have to be transformative, but more clearly showing the right direction. Maybe they've started coming up with sensible ideas recently.
Old Yesterday, 23:13   #53584
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Read their website by the way, all the policies, and most of their ideas seem either vague or not actually related to Green issues. E.g. social welfare gets same billing as greenness.
Old Yesterday, 23:21   #53585
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Having a line 'Declare a climate emergency', shows the shambolic nature of that chart given the meaningless nature of that. EPP even come out bad on carbon trading despite being fundamental in actually introducing carbon trading! (unlike the Greens who had no role). Would I be right in thinking that Robin who created that chart isn't fully neutral on the matter?!

I'm not against European Greens by the way. Love pro-climate policies. Just Irish Greens who are demonstrably anti-Green in their actual policies.
"climate emergency" probably shows intention more than anything, which is also important. The current administration were laughed and jeered at on TV during the reading of the budget over their great plans for the climate. The aul give money to farmers, do nothing, let's take the EU fines instead of doing anything that was. I guess people will take people with good intentions doing the wrong thing over people without good intentions in the first place. This is the issue that people are voting over right now, people in my work were out campaigning for the greens, never heard them talk about politics ever before this. Yeah, he mentioned his affiliation in italics near the start haha, and a link to contact him for corrections. Just a normal dude who gives a shit, know him. That's always something I laugh about. Imagine researching something and you thought it was best, so they start following through on your intentions - in this case join a party because they align best with what you think, suddenly they lack credibility because of that action! Double-edged sword, as obviously it can be true too.

https://twitter.com/jackpowerIT/stat...32622329323520 I do think even if the greens are stupid it was a good thing to vote for them to put the fire up more clued in politicans.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; Yesterday at 23:32.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:28   #53586
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Saw this earlier, but it doesn't look real

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-traffi...ie-summit.html
Seems crazy to have 300 there in a day. When about 600-800 complete it annually.
Bad weather creating a back long during peak season?
Old Yesterday, 23:35   #53587
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
"climate emergency" probably shows intention more than anything, which is also important. The current administration were laughed and jeered at on TV during the reading of the budget over their great plans for the climate. The aul give money to farmers, do nothing, let's take the EU fines instead of doing anything that was. I guess people will take people with good intentions doing the wrong thing over people without good intentions in the first place. This is the issue that people are voting over right now, people in my work were out campaigning for the greens, never heard them talk about politics ever before this. Yeah, he mentioned his affiliation in italics near the start haha, and a link to contact him for corrections. Just a normal dude who gives a shit, know him. That's always something I laugh about. Imagine researching something and you thought it was best, so they start following through on your intentions - in this case join a party because they align best with what you think, suddenly they lack credibility because of that action! Double-edged sword, as obviously it can be true too.

https://twitter.com/jackpowerIT/stat...32622329323520
Nope, was just that the chart itself is so bad. How EPP can be behind on carbon trading given they helped create it is bizarre. Surely they get some kudos for that. Carbon trading is amazing and has revolutionised green policy in Europe - EPP alone among the parties helped create it. I don't get why that means EPP are shown up as bad on that chart for carbon trading compared to Greens who've actually done nothing.
Old Yesterday, 23:40   #53588
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

I'm 100% for great green policies. Just think the best green policies in Ireland at the moment are FG through Richard Bruton's plans. I realise no-one has read those policies, but there we go. The Green policies - their actual policies - are pure nonsense or already being implemented by government parties. Once again, I know nobody has read the Green policies, but that doesn't mean you are right to think voting for a green party that isn't actually green is somehow you making an enlightened decision.
Old Yesterday, 23:50   #53589
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Nope, was just that the chart itself is so bad. How EPP can be behind on carbon trading given they helped create it is bizarre. Surely they get some kudos for that. Carbon trading is amazing and has revolutionised green policy in Europe - EPP alone among the parties helped create it. I don't get why that means EPP are shown up as bad on that chart for carbon trading compared to Greens who've actually done nothing.
What are you referring to as behind? Or bad, there is no mention of that in the chart and there is this in the analysis below? There is no mention of what is better or worse in the chart at all, just the position of parties?

Emissions trading
While silent on almost everything else the EPP spring into life for trading. One of the few mentions of climate change in either of their 2 manifesto documents is that renewable energy should be achieved through emission trading.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; Yesterday at 23:53.
Old Yesterday, 23:57   #53590
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Compared to the Green Party dream description on the chart it's clearly inferior looking for EPP. Yet only one of those two parties has actually done anything.
Old Today, 00:00   #53591
Hectorjelly

Quote:
I see you've changed tack from the previous claim I knew nothing about the issue. Just skipped right over it really!

If plastic bags are minor, then I guess recent Green focus on plastic straws is what?
I acknowledge you claim to have written a major report on the subject isn't available online and you don't have a copy of it.

The focus on straws is part of a big movement to ban ALL single use plastic. Straws are a very visible form of a culture that needs to change.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:01   #53592
Tar.Aldarion

Quote:
Compared to the Green Party dream description on the chart it's clearly inferior looking for EPP. Yet only one of those two parties has actually done anything.
Lol, this is enough internet for today. The lad doesn't even agree with the greens in his analysis.
I didn't even vote #1 for them why am i talking about this

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; Today at 00:06.
Old Today, 00:14   #53593
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Really find it hard to care about "climate emergency". It's like peak oil, every few years we're told we've only x time left. Tough too to take the people around the movement seriously. Usually wasters who've just switched from having legalising weed as their prime cause in life. So much virtue signalling too, if they really cared about the carbon footprint they'd be out marching for nuclear, not worrying about plastic straws. Don't think I've ever seen a sign for more nuclear power on any of those marches.

The people involved tend to be impractical and support policies that are counterproductive, the Paris Accord would have raised global emissions by capping production in the most efficient country in the world and encouraging industry in one of the world countries for output. Solar panels have been a disaster in Germany. Perhaps its something that I should care about, but it seems so far down the list of things I have a practical impact on. Zealots just make me lose interest. Sod off swampy.

Last edited by Denny Crane; Today at 00:16.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Today, 00:45   #53594
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
I acknowledge you claim to have written a major report on the subject isn't available online and you don't have a copy of it.

The focus on straws is part of a big movement to ban ALL single use plastic. Straws are a very visible form of a culture that needs to change.
Heh. You hardly think I'd make that up do you? It's the reason for my 'Duncan fucking Stewart tagline given ages ago on here. It's definitely online somewhere. I just can't remember what it's called.

But anyway your point is a silly one. Getting people out of cars is the main environmental issue and Greens seem to be hell-bent on stopping that through their actual actions.
Old Today, 00:45   #53595
PSV58

There is actually a very achievable and realistic thing that could be done to help the environment. End planned obsolescence in consumer goods. It is possible to build fridges, bulbs, washing machines,cars etc that last decades, its been done in the past and could be again.
Would not suit idiot shareholders and rent seekers who can’t see past the next financial quarter though.
Even simple things like government just sending the army in to Gillette and Bic factories ,shitting them and their shit razor producing facilities down and forcing everyone to only use double edged or cutthroat razors would make a real difference

Last edited by PSV58; Today at 00:48.
PSV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:48   #53596
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

If your green movement is against the main green policies, it's not a good green party. Can you imagine the Dutch green movement protesting against bus routes and metros and wind farms? The Irish crowd are gombeens of the highest order.
Old Today, 00:56   #53597
Denny Crane
Undefeated

The Bailey bet may not be such a lock

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:59   #53598
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV58 View Post
There is actually a very achievable and realistic thing that could be done to help the environment. End planned obsolescence in consumer goods. It is possible to build fridges, bulbs, washing machines,cars etc that last decades, its been done in the past and could be again.
Would not suit idiot shareholders and rent seekers who can’t see past the next financial quarter though.
Even simple things like government just sending the army in to Gillette and Bic factories ,shitting them and their shit razor producing facilities down and forcing everyone to only use double edged or cutthroat razors would make a real difference
My wife has a blender passed down through her family - about 30 years old at this stage. It'll never breakdown as the white goods back then in Soviet Russia were designed to minimise production hassle by never breaking. Shows it's possible at least.
Old Today, 01:02   #53599
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Really find it hard to care about "climate emergency". It's like peak oil, every few years we're told we've only x time left. Tough too to take the people around the movement seriously. Usually wasters who've just switched from having legalising weed as their prime cause in life. So much virtue signalling too, if they really cared about the carbon footprint they'd be out marching for nuclear, not worrying about plastic straws. Don't think I've ever seen a sign for more nuclear power on any of those marches.

The people involved tend to be impractical and support policies that are counterproductive, the Paris Accord would have raised global emissions by capping production in the most efficient country in the world and encouraging industry in one of the world countries for output. Solar panels have been a disaster in Germany. Perhaps its something that I should care about, but it seems so far down the list of things I have a practical impact on. Zealots just make me lose interest. Sod off swampy.
Think you're conflating two things here. The need for environmental improvements and the natural right of poor countries to not remain poor forever. Paris Agreement recognises the right of poor countries to grow, which clearly makes moral sense, even if there are emissions as a result.
Old Today, 01:16   #53600
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Translyvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame, Yeah
Quote:
If your green movement is against the main green policies, it's not a good green party. Can you imagine the Dutch green movement protesting against bus routes and metros and wind farms? The Irish crowd are gombeens of the highest order.
Bus Connects is fairly shit though and deserves protesting about.
I've seen advertising for it outside estates that would be easily 25 minutes worse off on the normal commute to work in the city centre that 90% of the residents do.
Some theoretical gain that apparently they are within x minutes of 50,000 jobs in a direction they never actually travel in.
The chosen hub in D15 (Blanchardstown Shopping Centre) is particularly clueless.
Jarrett Walker = Lyle Lanley.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker