2018 Multi Sport Competition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Ignoring the EPL (both on bad selections)he has no differentials with Lao Lao, so would have to change and bink either the snooker or hockey to win. Tall order.
    Wolve's season is about to collapse any second now, I can feel it...

Comment

Baseball semi-finals (best of 7 games over 10 days) start tomorrow.
      Everyone got to the playoffs but as always seems to be the case most lost their first knockout tie and we are just left with Houston (5starpool) v Boston (no-one) and LA Dodgers (pokerhand) v Milwaukee (no-one).

Comment

Everyone got to the playoffs but as always seems to be the case most lost their first knockout tie and we are just left with Houston (5starpool) v Boston (no-one) and LA Dodgers (pokerhand) v Milwaukee (no-one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_N...ionship_Series
        Go Dodgers!

Knew my la stay was good for something
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Result 34/40.
          Rugby League - Superleague.

1st. Wigan. 2 points - Flushdraw, Dimoxinil.
          2nd. Warrington. 1 point - no-one.

Completed Events.

Remaining Events.

Leaderboard.
          Baseball World Series will wrap up next, around the end of the month. Links to the ongoing semi-finals are 2 posts above.

Comment

I really need Cardiff to start racking up points rather quickly to have any hope of winning this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
              I really need Cardiff to start racking up points rather quickly to have any hope of winning this.
              4 of their next 6 at home, to Fulham, Leicester, Brighton and Wolves. That's their chance if they are anyway good enough. They don't seem to have anyone capable of putting the roundy white thing in the netty yoke though.

Comment

4 of their next 6 at home, to Fulham, Leicester, Brighton and Wolves. That's their chance if they are anyway good enough. They don't seem to have anyone capable of putting the roundy white thing in the netty yoke though.
                Fulham is the key one for me - They either get 3 points or they'll be bottom come end of December.

Comment

Fulham is the key one for me - They either get 3 points or they'll be bottom come end of December.
                  Quietly hopeful Huddersfield will. They got the second season syndrome bad.
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_N...ionship_Series
                    Baseball update
                    Houston elimated.
                    Dodgers drawing in series 3-3. Decider tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao
                      Wolve's season is about to collapse any second now, I can feel it...

[emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                        Baseball update
                        Houston elimated.
                        Dodgers drawing in series 3-3. Decider tomorrow.
                        Dodgers into the World Series final.
                        Best of 7 games starting on Tuesday night/Wed Morning.

A win there and with your two changes left you have an outside sniff at winning this, though will probably need to bink the snooker, hockey and Huddersfield.

Comment

A win there and with your two changes left you have an outside sniff at winning this, though will probably need to bink the snooker, hockey and Huddersfield.
                          Hmmm would have to change to an dark horse and get lucky. Not gonna happen

Just would be happy to avoid the wooden spoon.

Comment

November change deadlines.

Snooker. UK Championship. Starts 27/11. Deadline for changes 20/11 23:59.
                            Field Hockey. Mens World Cup. Starts 28/11. Deadline for changes 21/11 23:59.

Comment

Any betting out for the Hockey?

Comment

Boston won it. Terrible collapse by the Dodgers...

Comment

Result 35/40.
                                  Baseball - World Series.

1st. Boston. 2 points - no-one.
                                  2nd. LA Dodgers. 1 point - pokerhand.

Completed Events.

Remaining Events.

Leaderboard.
                                  November is a bit thin on action, kind of the nature of this thing that its going to be summer-centric. Football will be in play anyway,and possibly some athletics in the southern hemisphere. Otherwise the next big movement will be the snooker & hockey at the start of December.

Comment

That there is less than 6 points between top and bottom at this stage of the game is kinda impressive, can't decide if that is good impressive or terrible impressive though.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                      That there is less than 6 points between top and bottom at this stage of the game is kinda impressive, can't decide if that is good impressive or terrible impressive though.
                                      There's going to be some relevance to who the favourite in the betting was at the time. It would have been interesting if we kept note of the score that someone picking all the favourites would have got.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                        There's going to be some relevance to who the favourite in the betting was at the time. It would have been interesting if we kept note of the score that someone picking all the favourites would have got.
                                        I think some of the events were pretty much 'betting proof' in that there was no market (bottom of EPL31/12, poker last longest) and in other events there isn't really a favourite (t20 cricket 'fav' was something like 12/1 in an 18 runner field).

I'd like to see how blindly doing 'defending champ' would have got on. It would definitely have a 5 point start as it binked events where everyone else blanked (Koepka US Open, and Real Madrid ECL) which is a useful lead in such a lowscoring comp.

Comment

Thankswhoring post alert.

Seeing as we are at a November lull, a good time to check whether there'd be interest in repeating this in 2019 - if enough interest I'll go off and find 40 suitable events. With a lot of this years events not taking place next year I'd need to come up with good replacements.
                                          Please thank or reply to give me an idea if worthwhile to go again (non-players this year more than welcome to thank/comment if they'd be interested). Or any ideas you'd have.

I'd intend to stick with much the same concept, ~40 events with selections picked during week1 of January, 3 free changes as we go, all events with roughly the same scoring as each other (a small premium for the big golf majors like this year). Would probably expand the base scoring from 2,1 to 4,2,1 so as to give points to semi-finalists in big field events, just to reduce the amount of blanks.

Or if someone else wanted to run it instead and give it their own flavour then I'll happily step aside.

Comment

Thankswhoring post alert.

Seeing as we are at a November lull, a good time to check whether there'd be interest in repeating this in 2019 - if enough interest I'll go off and find 40 suitable events. With a lot of this years events not taking place next year I'd need to come up with good replacements.
                                            Please thank or reply to give me an idea if worthwhile to go again (non-players this year more than welcome to thank/comment if they'd be interested). Or any ideas you'd have.

I'd intend to stick with much the same concept, ~40 events with selections picked during week1 of January, 3 free changes as we go, all events with roughly the same scoring as each other (a small premium for the big golf majors like this year). Would probably expand the base scoring from 2,1 to 4,2,1 so as to give points to semi-finalists in big field events, just to reduce the amount of blanks.

Or if someone else wanted to run it instead and give it their own flavour then I'll happily step aside.
                                            Pretty sure we're all super happy for you to take the reigns on this AJ. In for round 2!

Comment

This has been my favourite type of sports competition in a very long time, defo in for round 2 and no offence to every other member on IPB but, couldn't think of a better person to run it than AJ.

Comment

November change deadlines.

Snooker. UK Championship. Starts 27/11. Deadline for changes 20/11 23:59.
                                                Field Hockey. Mens World Cup. Starts 28/11. Deadline for changes 21/11 23:59.

Comment

My 3rd and final change as I make a late effort at a glorious Top8 finish.

Snooker.
                                                  Luca Brecel out, Judd Trump in.

Comment

My 2nd change... Ronnie for the snooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      This has the potential to ruin my christmas if I'm still involved, sweating two gimps beating the shite out of each other in a poxy MMA circus
                                                      Whitaker's next fight has been booked, for February.
                                                      So it's essentially guaranteed that he closes out the year as the incumbent champion.
                                                      You can rest and enjoy Christmas Strewel.

Comment

When does the last 100mnsprint event take place for the year and who is fastest so far, tough to find online.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                          When does the last 100mnsprint event take place for the year and who is fastest so far, tough to find online.
                                                          Coleman still leads Baker.

Not sure whats left in 100m this year, I think there's a race calendar somewhere on that site but can't find it now.
                                                          I'd expect there'll be nothing in the northern hemisphere coz winter so probably won't change too much between now and 31/12.
                                                          But always a non-zero chance that someone might bink a time at an Australian meeting I suppose.

Comment

Change hockey to Belgium please.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              Whitaker's next fight has been booked, for February.
                                                              So it's essentially guaranteed that he closes out the year as the incumbent champion.
                                                              You can rest and enjoy Christmas Strewel.
                                                              I'm invested in something called a Rockhold whatever that is.

I'm assuming it was on the basis of your sage advice, that's the story I'll be sticking to anyway
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

All change deadlines now passed so existing selections are final selections.

I'll do some analysis later (I got pm'ed a good head start) to see who needs what to happen to win or get placed, and close off the UFC result as per Judge Mellors call.

Comment

Lao Lao would you have followed my pick if I changed to Ronnie in the snooker? Missed the cutoff and just wondering if I could have put it in earlier.

Cheering for Cardif and Belgium now.

Comment

Result 36/40.
                                                                    UFC - EoY Middleweight Champion.
                                                                    With no more title fights scheduled this seems set in stone already.

1st. Robert Whitaker. 2 points. Lao Lao, mdoug, Flushdraw, 5starpool, pokerhand, RichieM

I don't think this type of belt event really suits the competition structure, as an injury to the defending champion (as occurred) stops any action in a way that wouldn't happen in other sports. So will drop it next year unless maybe mellor or anyone can see a way it could be done.

Completed Events.

Remaining Events.

Leaderboard.
                                                                    Snooker to finish next on the 9th December. I thought there might be more differential hunting here but its mainly a Selby v Ronnie slugfest again.
                                                                    The Cardiff v Huddersfield cripple fight remains interesting, with mdoug's Crystal Palace also a surprising contender. Fulham playing the role of spoiler at the moment.

Comment

Result 36/40.
                                                                      UFC - EoY Middleweight Champion.
                                                                      With no more title fights scheduled this seems set in stone already.

1st. Robert Whitaker. 2 points. Lao Lao, mdoug, Flushdraw, 5starpool, pokerhand, RichieM

I don't think this type of belt event really suits the competition structure, as an injury to the defending champion (as occurred) stops any action in a way that wouldn't happen in other sports. So will drop it next year unless maybe mellor or anyone can see a way it could be done.

Completed Events.

Remaining Events.

Leaderboard.
                                                                      Snooker to finish next on the 9th December. I thought there might be more differential hunting here but its mainly a Selby v Ronnie slugfest again.
                                                                      The Cardiff v Huddersfield cripple fight remains interesting, with mdoug's Crystal Palace also a surprising contender. Fulham playing the role of spoiler at the moment.
                                                                      This has worked out a lot closer at the end than I expected with more people in with a shot of winning. Would be interesting to know if any of us punted on our picks if we would have come up with any money at the end. I am guessing maybe Lao Lao since the golf must have had the biggest odds?

Comment

If the result between Fulham and Southampton stays this way, it drags the Saints into the spoiler mix too. It's the best result for Cardiff though.

It's getting funky down there. Still 7 gameweek's before it's sorted.

Comment

Looking like a decent result for Huddersfield

Funny that can jump from bottom of the table to 14th with 1 win. It's pretty tight down there!

Comment

Lao Lao would you have followed my pick if I changed to Ronnie in the snooker? Missed the cutoff and just wondering if I could have put it in earlier.

Cheering for Cardif and Belgium now.
                                                                            Meant to reply to this before now. I had one change left to play and I had a cunning plan to make it, either in the snooker or hockey and do it last minute until work absolutely fucked me over as I got landed with a whopper of a problem which had me working until all hours on the deadline day.

Had you of changed your snooker player, I would have looked at it and considered it had I had the time but may not have done anything about it. As it worked out, I wouldn't have even seen your change u til after the deadline passed.

Comment

Meant to reply to this before now. I had one change left to play and I had a cunning plan to make it, either in the snooker or hockey and do it last minute until work absolutely fucked me over as I got landed with a whopper of a problem which had me working until all hours on the deadline day.

Had you of changed your snooker player, I would have looked at it and considered it had I had the time but may not have done anything about it. As it worked out, I wouldn't have even seen your change u til after the deadline passed.
                                                                              If you could still make your change, what would it be? Just to rabbit hunt

Comment

If you could still make your change, what would it be? Just to rabbit hunt
                                                                                I'm keeping it to myself for the minute as I'll only jinx myself otherwise [emoji3]

Comment

Snooker from tomorrow.

2nd round onwards on BBC and Eurosport from Saturday.

Hockey from Wednesday. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_M...ld_Cup#Results
                                                                                  All games live on BT sport from 11am each day.
                                                                                  3/1 Australia, 4/1 Netherlands, 4/1 Belgium, 11/2 Argentina, 11/2 India, 13/2 Germany, 11/1 England 18s bar.

Comment

Good man Selby. Can't even get through Round 1. Shit

Comment

Good man Selby. Can't even get through Round 1. Shit
                                                                                      A pity for excitement purposes that Lao Lao or Richie hadn't changed to Ronnie.

Comment

Damn that was going to be my change - completely jinxed myself and Selby. The power of the bbv extends to other threads it seems.

Comment

A pity for excitement purposes that Lao Lao or Richie hadn't changed to Ronnie.
                                                                                          I'm fine with that

Damn that was going to be my change - completely jinxed myself and Selby. The power of the bbv extends to other threads it seems.
                                                                                          Belgium off to a winning start in the hockey for you. Aussies play Ireland this evening in their first game.

Comment

I'm fine with that

Belgium off to a winning start in the hockey for you. Aussies play Ireland this evening in their first game.
                                                                                            Gives Mdoug a shot at splitting for first and strewel a chance at second I think?

Comment

Gives Mdoug a shot at splitting for first and strewel a chance at second I think?
                                                                                              mdoug can't get first.

He has 2 selections the same as me, and Palace aren't finishing bottom with Cardiff outside of the bottom 2. Plus he needs Ronnie to bink too.

Lao Lao still in with a chance though. If Argies bink the hockey (and Aussies don't finish 2nd), and Cardiff don't finish bottom 2, then he wins.

More than likely Cardiff finish 2nd bottom, and we split it.

If Cardiff finish bottom, i win regardless.

He really needed to change the snooker to have another 2 point freeroll.

These are my predictions though

Comment

mdoug can't get first.

He has 2 selections the same as me, and Palace aren't finishing bottom with Cardiff outside of the bottom 2. Plus he needs Ronnie to bink too.

Lao Lao still in with a chance though. If Argies bink the hockey (and Aussies don't finish 2nd), and Cardiff don't finish bottom 2, then he wins.

Cardiff wins tonight. Does that change picture much? Palace more likely finish bottom two, but who the fuck knows, have no idea now... But gut call palace and Fulham at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                  We can change our picks? I must read this shit more!
                                                                                                  mdoug first change: Fiji.
                                                                                                  I shall also change this volleyball, but to France.
                                                                                                  I cost myself 3 points with the 2 changes I did make, so I am the main reason I am so fucked really!

None of this is going to matter, Southampton are going to be last as Mark Hughes is super shite.
                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

mdoug can't get first.

Love the confidence flushie

Comment

I cost myself 3 points with the 2 changes I did make, so I am the main reason I am so fucked really!

None of this is going to matter, Southampton are going to be last as Mark Hughes is super shite.
                                                                                                      I think Newcastle are going to drop to the bottom, they look terrible.

Comment

Bleedin Welsh chavballers sunk any chance I had by winning the other night
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Love the confidence flushie
                                                                                                          The 100m is locked up for 2 points, and i've gone with the favourites in the betting in the hockey, and i think Cardiff will finish 2nd bottom

I've given the Ronnie backers the 2 points too

Comment

The 100m is locked up for 2 points, and i've gone with the favourites in the betting in the hockey, and i think Cardiff will finish 2nd bottom

I've given the Ronnie backers the 2 points too
                                                                                                            The hockey is a great event for the whole thing to hinge on as I know nothing about it at all and in terms of selections it’s is about the biggest spread.

Australia and Belgium are on opposite sides on the draw if both win I think which is not ideal but was the only real choice I had to roll the dice with.

Comment

The hockey is a great event for the whole thing to hinge on as I know nothing about it at all and in terms of selections it’s is about the biggest spread.

Australia and Belgium are on opposite sides on the draw if both win I think which is not ideal but was the only real choice I had to roll the dice with.
                                                                                                              Yep. Know nothing about it myself, but fun to have an interest in an event which i would not have otherwise!

Comment

Best part of the comp for me was doubtless the obscure events alright.
                                                                                                                Following a volleyball group match on flashscore or checking the Aussie Rules playoff results when I woke up at the weekend; events that would have barely registered with me otherwise.

KenDoc 3-1 up on Ronnie at the interval, he couldn't could he?

Comment

Best part of the comp for me was doubtless the obscure events alright.
                                                                                                                  Following a volleyball group match on flashscore or checking the Aussie Rules playoff results when I woke up at the weekend; events that would have barely registered with me otherwise.

KenDoc 3-1 up on Ronnie at the interval, he couldn't could he?
                                                                                                                  I watched the end of the final at about 2am on some obscure Polish channel

Come on Ken. Roll back the years!!

Comment

Result 37/40.
                                                                                                                    Athletics - Fastest 100M of year.

With only marathons on the schedule for the rest of the year this seems over so might as well close now so everyone knows where they are for the remaining events. Will reserve the right to come back to it if a failed drug test comes to light or something.

1st. Christian Coleman. 2 points. Lao Lao, mdoug, Flushdraw, 5starpool, RichieM, dimoxinil.
                                                                                                                    2nd. Ronnie Barker. 1 point. No-one.

This event didn't really provide the all year action and December changes that I hoped, so with the World Championship on next year I'll probably just pick an open looking event in that for the competition and have it done and dusted on the day.

Completed Events.

Remaining Events.

Leaderboard.
                                                                                                                    Snooker and Hockey on-going.
                                                                                                                    Australia and Argentina already into the quarter finals and on opposite sides of the draw.

Comment

Group C is interesting.

India and Belgium both on 4pts from 2 games, but India have +4 GD, so a small buffer.

India are 1/5 to win v Canada, and Belgium 1/20 to beat SA

The group winners go into the same SF side as Australia, while the runners-up have a playoff against Pakistan most likely, and then go into the Argentina SF side.

I'll be cheering on India, and hope that Belgium can beat Argentina in the SF. If the Aussies also make it, then i should have it wrapped up, and even if they don't, i have a decent final sweat!

I think that's my best case realistic scenario!

Comment

2019 initial list.

39 events so far so open to more.
                                                                                                                        Have dropped Basketball and All Ireland football (GSW and Dublin too dominant) but open to alternative ways these sports could be brought in.
                                                                                                                        F1 a possibility (Hamilton same issue?) or some other motor sport event if anyone has ideas. A fighting event of some sort maybe but I'm not sure how.
                                                                                                                        All ideas welcome except mdoug's idea of a second wrestling event. Maybe I've missed an obvious one.

Would be worried about Leinster and New Zealand being auto selections in rugby, hopefully Leinster lose this weekend .
                                                                                                                        Handball makes its debut, a bad oversight this year.
                                                                                                                        Its still quite summer-centric but not sure that's avoidable.

Scoring is basically the same as this year, except doubling it allows me to pay semi-finalists (or 3rd place playoffs if they exist) in large field events to reduce blanks.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 07-12-18, 13:48.

Comment

Not that I am remotely interested in or, but the likes of the Aga Khan showjumping thing in the RDS is usually open enough isn't it? Should that be considered for entry? Also, the world championship darts, I assume it is the PDC 2020 event?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X