25 runs in 25 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 runs in 25 days

At the start of the year i set myself the goal of running 1000K this year.

As of tonight i've run 880K - three 5Ks, four half marathons and nearly 80 10Ks. Mostly laps of Drimnagh.

That means 120K to go - just 12 10Ks and four weeks to do it. Perfectly doable if health and weather permit.

Then this evening i read about the Advent Running challenge - 25 runs in 25 days between Dec. 1 and Dec. 25.

I quickly realised if i did 5K a day for 25 days i'd make the target while giving myself an unexpected sub-twist-challenge-thing to the original goal. Intriguing!

It's Christmas party season, i'm busy with work, and the light is short and the weather is inclement and i'll have to run some mornings if i'm to do it (which i hate) but i'm going to give it a shot.

I don't really like 5Ks. They don't play to my strengths of lumbering doggedness where speed is of secondary importance and they've always seemed just a distance to bust through rather than work up to BUT this plays right into my desire to find a challenge in 5K.

So i'm gonna try and repeatedly break my PB (a dawdling 29m10s) which should frankly be easy enough.

But can i remain motivated and find the requisite mental satisfaction?

Perhaps its the whiskey i'm drinking telling me i can. Tomorrow and the days ahead might tell a different story.

Sounds fun. Enjoy!

Comment

Day 1
      Weather: Mild & damp. Perfect running conditions for this time of year.
      Distance: 5K (3.12 miles)
      Time: 28:54 (new PB)
      Days left: 24

Things couldn't have gotten of to a better start really. I got home at a reasonable time (just after 6pm), the rain had more or less stopped, it was mild and there was no wind to speak of.

My belly was rumbling so i had one Weetbix to keep me going, did a shorter warm up than usual and hit the road.

I knew i could go faster than normal because i wouldn't have the second 5K to do and rather than take it slowly for my first run of the new challenge I decided a decent, steady pace was the order of the day.

Did some quick calcs while scanning my RunKeeper app and decided i'd try and go close to my PB for run 1.

I wouldn't consider myself a great judge of pace but had a fair idea i would be close to the PB after 1mile.

And thus it came to pass. Very straightforward in the end and i'm thinking i might be able to get to maybe around 26 mins if i push it and stick to the plan.

Things will get a little tougher tomorrow. I'm out for evening pints which means my first morning run and a 6am start. I've only gotten out of bed once before and run, years ago, and hated it. I suppose the weather will be the decider as to wether i can dig it or not but hey, its only 28 minutes. How hard could it be?

So far the most number of consecutive days i've ever run is six.

Only 24 more days to go.

Comment

25 runs in 25 days.
        GL with this. Will be interested to see how you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
          25 runs in 25 days.
          GL with this. Will be interested to see how you go.
          raw vegan elderly couple run a marathon every day for a year

So good luck to OP, definitely possible

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            raw vegan elderly couple run a marathon every day for a year

So good luck to OP, definitely possible
            Damn that's impressive!!! Bleedin' Vegan nutjobs.

The distance is the easy part it's finding an hour every day to commit - 30 mins running and 15 mins warm up and warm down/shower.

If i was retired sure it'd be no bother.

Comment

Day 2
              Weather: Frosty, chilly and black.
              Time: 28:32 (new PB)
              Days left: 23

First morning run as i'm pinting this evening so would have no time after work.

Up at 6:05 (i'm usually awake around this time anyway, no later than 6.30 so this isn't so much of a shock to the system), drank most of a pint of water, stretched, texted my mate who was at the airport on his way back to Detroit to bury his dad, and hit the road at 6.20.

It was quiet, dark and pretty cold. Frost on the cars but not on the road. About half way round i was warming up and realised i'd gotten fairly lucky again with the weather and that 5K was perfectly do-able in the morning from a time perspective.

One side of my course had a little windy which was getting funneled into my hood and down my sweaty back and that was pretty bracing and my chest felt a bit rattly as i've just come off the back of a bad cold.

Really didn't expect another PB but hey i'll take it every time.

Back to a post-work run tomorrow.

8% or so completed so far and feeling fairly bullish.

Comment

...would be interested to know your route as well...if you give notice I might just pull out a banner for motivation...
                ...but great time to start it actually...Christmas morning will be your final run, perfect present to yourself if, wait, when you complete it...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  This is a really great thread. I look forward to reading following your progress.

Are you running the exact same route everyday?
                  When in Drimnagh yes that's the plan.

But when in Tipp (Dec 24/25) or Derry (Dec 8/9) i'll go with the 5k flow there.

I have a set route (see below) i run and its easiest not to change it - gives me consistent terrain, few dangers, its a loop of 1.1 mile around my house (5 and 3/4 or so laps makes 10K) so i can drop in for a drink or the bathroom if needed and i'm never too far from the front door if i get injured.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                    ...would be interested to know your route as well...if you give notice I might just pull out a banner for motivation...
                    ...but great time to start it actually...Christmas morning will be your final run, perfect present to yourself if, wait, when you complete it...
                    Brandon Road, Sleivebloom Road, Drimnagh Road, Crumlin Road, Cooley Road, Sperrin Road and back to Brandon Road.

A nice 1.1 miles which i loop 3 times for the 5K and 6 for the 10K.

Hmmmm... how the hell do i post a screenshot from RunKeeper? I'll figure it out and post later.
                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 02-12-14, 14:23.

Comment

Tomorrow the plan is for a 5k from 6.30pm to 7.30pm when i get home after work.

Thursday should be OK post-work too but Friday i'm off to see Sleaford Mods in the evening so that means a Friday morning run and a Saturday run (indeterminate start time) that will have to fit around cleaning the house then driving up north for my sister's 40th and my auld man's 74th birthday.

Then a run on Sunday either up north early (if i remember to bring my gear) or when i get back to Dublin late (a drag after driving for 2hr30mins)

No snow or hurricanes forecast so far 'til Sunday so still reasonably confident only the weather or injury/illness can do me in.

What are the odds at this stage of me completing (Not interested in a bet, just curious) given the information presented so far?

One more whiskey before bed.

Comment

Your odds will drop sharply if you get through the upcoming weekend imo. Life so often is the killer for stuff like this.

Good work thus far though - I'm rooting for ya!
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                          Your odds will drop sharply if you get through the upcoming weekend imo. Life so often is the killer for stuff like this.

Good work thus far though - I'm rooting for ya!
                          Cheers Lloyd. Yeah the weekends will be tough but my biggest potential downfall is really heavy snow OR sickness/injury.

If i get another head cold like the one i've just come off its two weeks of dehydration and lethargy that would wreck the attempt.

Fingers crossed or a clean bill of health for the next three weeks.

Comment

Day 3
                            Weather: Frost just taking, crisp but not uncomfortable.
                            Distance: Indeterminate
                            Time: 31:45
                            Days left: 22

Despite last nights pints and relatively late night (for midweek) i felt fine today, drank lots of water, ate well and was feeling good until the Luas home i started falling asleep after 10 hours in the office.

Got distracted by a phone call just after i'd changed into my running gear and walked out of the house and started running without having warmed up.

Within half a mile my foot was getting numb and i was feeling generally lethargic and heavy but it wasn't cold so on i plodded despite being a bit uncomfortable.

Then i looked at RunKeeper in my usual spot on the last lap and i was a mile short! Damn thing had malfunctioned and had me cutting the four corners of my run, running through brick walls and buildings.

It recorded just 2.54 miles rather than 3.12 but i knew by the time i had met the right distance so ran right to the front door and called it a day.

Keep reading about the heavy snow that's expected mid-month and get nervous.

More to worry about this weekend though so i'll stay focused on that for now.

Comment

what warmup/down do you do? Seem to spend a good bit at it and it's something I neglect, which is starting to pain me as I exercise more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                what warmup/down do you do? Seem to spend a good bit at it and it's something I neglect, which is starting to pain me as I exercise more and more.
                                Actually i don't. I'm pretty rubbish at it. I have about 10 stretches i do to warm up, maybe 15 secs each. Perhaps 30 if i was running a race.

The 15 mins i allude to here is really just a buffer and includes going to the bathroom, drinking water and generally faffing around.

The warm down consists of the walk back to the house from wherever i finish, usually about a couple of hundred meters.

I'm a heavy sweater though so it usually takes me 10 mins to stop sweating (more in summer) before i can get in the shower - that's the longest part of the whole thing TBH.

Comment

I am rooting for you.

I suggest mixing up a few more routes or even just run direction.

Might be an idea to book in a rub/massage at about day twelve...

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                    I am rooting for you.

I suggest mixing up a few more routes or even just run direction.

Might be an idea to book in a rub/massage at about day twelve...
                                    Cheers dude.

Never really thought about having a massage. Always see people getting them after races but figured it was for the serious runners.

Would probably be uncomfortable changing route TBH.

It's mostly dark when i'm running these days and i like the security of having run this particular route well over 100 times in the last 18 months. I know every step, twist and turn.

I will have to find a new route when up north this weekend but will try to run during daylight hours.

It's only day 4 and i seem to have been writing about this challenge more than doing it

Comment

Day 4
                                      Weather: Nippy but a bit warmer than the previous three runs. Dark & a bit damp.
                                      Distance: 5K
                                      Time: 26:41 (new PB!)
                                      Days left: 21

I knew immediately i stepped out this evening i was lighter of foot than y'day. Plus it was milder so i was less distracted by the ambient temperature and i clipped along until after a mile was maybe 70 or 80 metres ahead of my first split.

My shins began to hurt then later my calves but soon i passed my second split and was even further ahead so i wasn't intending to slow down.

I began wondering if this were to continue a massage at some point might indeed be helpful. I think the faster speeds and hitting the ground harder could well do stuff to my legs i'm not used to.

With half a mile to go i knew i'd be close to sub-27 mins and i was breathing a lot heavier than usual.

I'm thrilled with the time. To knock 2 1/2 mins of my PB (even one i don't really care about) this early is more than i could have predicted or hoped for. If that's as fast as i go over the duration of the challenge i'll be happy enough.

I'll probably take it easy for the next two or three runs and try and give my legs a rest. Might spend a bit more time stretching them too.

Celebrating now with a peppermint tea and some Aines Dark Chocolate with Zesty Lime (from Cavan and highly recommended).

Next run tomorrow morning at 6.15am. Would rather have more time to recover but need to save tomorrow night for pints and Sleaford Mods.

Comment

Excellent work. Would definitely recommend you do some foam rolling exercises for your calves and shins, are you stretching at the end of each 5k?

Massage would also be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                          Excellent work. Would definitely recommend you do some foam rolling exercises for your calves and shins, are you stretching at the end of each 5k?

Massage would also be helpful.
                                          Cheers Emmet. No i'm not stretching afterwards. I come home, have a shower and eat me dinner!

Will definitely try it from tomorrow. I'm sitting around de-sweating anyway so might as well.

Got a good link for foam rolling? Have heard of it but don't usually go in for all that new-fangled new-age stuff

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Day 5
                                              Weather: Frost lifting as morning was breaking.
                                              Time: 29:46
                                              Days left: 20

Slept in by 10 mins, stretched a little more than usual, drank a pint of water and hit the road at 6:30 am. It was cold but not so bad but the shock to my system meant i was running too fast and i knew it. I tried to slow down but it wasn't easy. Just after the end of lap 1 (1.1 miles) and in the space of about 200 metres i got a stitch, the front of my right foot was getting numb and i had a shooting pain in my left knee.

I'd warmed up rightly by then so was able to slow right down and within about half a mile the symptoms of distress had abated.

The last lap was probably the most comfortable i've been so far. Overall i went 1 min per lap (or per mile) slower than my record time y'day with a dramatic drop between the first and second split.

Stretched my legs properly when i got in (thanks Emmet!) and by the time i was heading to work felt great with quite a spring in my step.

Glad the weather has been kind to me - makes everything else fall into place all the more easily.

Have at least 24 hours until my next run. I now have 20% of my work on this challenge done and only 95K to go before i hit the 1000K mark.

Comment

great work!

Must find a foam roller around dublin as not using one seems to be causing me problems with my runs.

Comment

Hockey ball / sliotar just as good for the lower legs tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                    Next run tomorrow morning at 6.15am. Would rather have more time to recover but need to save tomorrow night for pints and Sleaford Mods.
                                                    Good work with the runs, keep it up but gonna need some sort of trip report on the Sleaford lads, not sure what to make of them and they sell out in double quick time over here so haven't had a chance to see them!

Comment

Day 6
                                                      Weather: Mild, dry and light.
                                                      Time: 30:24
                                                      Days left: 19

Woke up mid-morning after a night's drinking and really didn't want to run but knew i should before i headed up north otherwise i'd be running in the dark again.

So i clambered into my running gear, had two Weetabix and a pint of water, did my stretches and off i went.

Very pleasant all told. Great to be running in daylight after five runs in the dark. Kept the pace slow as all i wanted to do was get round really.

Legs felt fine and could easily have done another 5K but had business to attend to (house cleaning!) so called it a day after 5K.

The weather is to get worse from tomorrow onwards so i'm anticipating things getting a little more uncomfortable.

Not sure if i'll run here at my home place or back in Dublin. Probably the former to get another daylight run in and shake things up a bit but i'll monitor the weather tomorrow morning and see.

Almost of a quarter of the way there. Don't know what all the fuss has been about TBH! (Can the power of the BBV haunt me way down here in the Personal Log section?)

Comment

Day 7
                                                        Weather: Sunny but cold, damp, windy and sleety
                                                        Time: 28:53
                                                        Days left: 18

Another nice daylight run from my home place on the edge of a small county town in south Derry, out a winding undulating country road down to my old GAA ground and back.

The ambient temperature seemed a little higher than usual (probably cos it was near noon when i ran) and even the shower of sleet and the occasional sharp gust of wind couldn't dampen the simple please of running thought nature on a bright winter's day.

Having beaten my PB a few times in the last week already today marked the first time i'd ever run seven days in a row so each day after this will be a new milestone.

I wish i could run in the country every day but its back to running in the dark through the suburban streets of Dublin from now til Dec 24.
                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-12-14, 19:27.

Comment

Day 8
                                                          Weather: Cold and dark with a slight wind.
                                                          Time: 30:20
                                                          Days left: 17

Damned glad i didn't have to run before work this morning. There was a hard frost on the ground when i was leaving for the office at 8am and it would have been a proper nightmare to run on (if not altogether impossible).

I didn't really want to have to run at all truth be told. Just didn't feel like it and it was bloody freezing but that wasn't an option and the weather isn't an excuse on this challenge so i got out at 6.20pm after i got home from work and did a workmanlike 5K which ended up being quite enjoyable simply because i warmed up fairly quickly so it wasn't that uncomfortable.

Next few days set to be wet AND windy. Exactly the type of weather i virtually always avoid running in. Great.

Almost one-third of the way through now so mustn't grumble too much.
                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 08-12-14, 21:15.

Comment

Day 9
                                                            Weather: Dark, damp and blustery but quite mild with no rain.
                                                            Time: 29:44
                                                            Days left: 16

When i left the office it looked as if it had been raining most of the afternoon and it started up again as i was waiting for the Luas. Lots of soaked people got on but somehow 45 mins later when i was leaving the house to run it had stopped.

Score!

I forgot my hat and gloves but it was so mild i didn't bother going back for them and ploughed on through the intermittent gusts (at my back going west to east) and it turned out to be quite bearable.

My leg muscles are perfectly fine and the only thing i'm not enjoying is the short distance and the fact that i can't take a bloody night off.

Comment

Day 10
                                                              Weather: Cold, blustery, dark and wet.
                                                              Time: 29:53
                                                              Days left: 15

Was prevented from getting home on the Luas by some ancillary protest on O'Connell Bridge (complete with a right aggro dickhead preventing a van driver from passing about his business on the middle of O'Connell St) so started walking.

Normally i'd give up and go to the pub and wait a couple of hours but it was cold and i was sure it would be a bad idea to have three or four pints then go home and run.

So i had walked about a mile out of the city centre and eventually got a cab, got home and donned my running gear and off i went.

The weather wasn't as bad as predicted and despite it being pretty damed cold i was well wrapped up and got round fairly comfortably.

Really could do with a day off from it now. The grind is really setting in and i'm not even half way there yet. The running itself is still ok but it's the thought of having to do it every day that is taking up more time than it should (as much time than the run itself probably).

The novelty has well and truly worn off so all i can do is get my head down and jog on.
                                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 10-12-14, 21:33.

Comment

Can you not take a day off and fit a morning and evening run in to a day?

I.e. take Friday off, 1 run Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

Been an interesting read so far.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                  Can you not take a day off and fit a morning and evening run in to a day?

I.e. take Friday off, 1 run Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

Been an interesting read so far.
                                                                  All my holidays for the year are gone (bar Christmas) so this is how it's gotta be.

The main goal is the 1000Km of course so in theory it's not the end of the world if i missed a day as i could easily make it up BUT that kinda defeats the purpose i suppose.

It's typical runners masochism i suppose - i knew this would be the hard part, just picking myself up every day to do it. Thus it has come to pass. As always it's the mental vs the physical but this time it's not a pain barrier i'm trying to break through but a boredom/repetition barrier.

Fuck you running, no wait.. don't go

Comment

...An amateurs opinion...Yeah the novelty has worn off, but you expected that so nothing has really changed...If you were doing 40 days constant then after 9 days if its getting difficult it would be hard to follow through...
                                                                    ...But looking at it backwards, if you get to day 20 then there is fucking nothing that's gonna stop you from finishing what is an incredible (almost ridiculous) goal...So in that sense, your half way there to the day 20, then the rest you can call it a celebration and maybe do drunk for the lols...getting over last weekend imo was your biggest challenge, because you were on the piss and out of your comfort zone by going up north (stupid family distractions)...So you've done the hard part, you've done 99% of it, so do not give up...
                                                                    ...If nothing else, you owe it to IPB degenerates such as me to give hope and inspiration...

Comment

Day 11
                                                                      Weather: Drizzly, dark and very wet underfoot
                                                                      Time: 29:45
                                                                      Days left: 14

When i got off the Luas after work it was lashing down but i knew the longer i left it before going out the harder it would be so i got indoors and compromised with myself giving it 15 or 20 mins and then i'd go out regardless.

Thankfully the rain had slowed to a drizzle by then so off i set, top zipped up and hoodie pulled down.

It was very wet underfoot so in between concentrating on missing the puddles and trying to relax my stiffening lower legs i spent the run wondering what next year's running would bring.

I've been doing this quite a bit recently as 2014 nears an end

I'm confident of meeting my 1000K now (only 60K or so more to go) and four half marathons and (hopefully) 25 running days in a row is beyond the goal i set myself at the start of the year so how do i better that and do i have to?

A marathon? Did one 10 years ago but might interesting nice to try again (despite the injuries i suffered last time).

A half marathon every month? Hmmm... too easy maybe. One every week? Too hard probably.

Work on my speed rather than distance? Could be interesting but i'd have to join a club probably and i'm not much of a 'joiner'.

I'm none the wiser but it made this evening's 5K go fast enough.

It's definitely easier to think about next year at the minute than the next run.

Comment

Day 12
                                                                        Weather:Wet & gusty but mild
                                                                        Time: 27.52 (second fastest 5k)
                                                                        Days left: 13

I got unlucky with the weather finally. As soon as i stepped out this evening (straight after work with barely a thought) it started raining lightly, then it got heavy quickly but by the final mile it had dropped off to a light drizzle.

No biggie though. I ran with a spring in my step (which is evident in the time) as it was the weekend, i was planning to get stuck into a bottle or two of recently procured Marques de Riscal 2009 Reserva tonight, and had two daylight runs ahead of me (not withstanding the expected light hangovers both days).

Job done.

As long as i don't get too high titty tonight (home) and tomorrow night (in town) Saturday and Sunday should go OK. I am optimistic right now. And the wine tastes good.
                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 13-12-14, 11:56.

Comment

If you can figure a way of giving yourself an extended break I think you'll feel better for it.

E.g late run tomorrow, then a run first thing Sunday, and then late Monday / early Tuesday again.

Short breaks in between two, long in between the other two.

Aim for a PB in the one following the longer break, aim for a recovery run / blood in the legs in the early ones.

Comment

Good plan. Cheers.

Realistically i'll aim for Monday and Tuesday as i think i'll just have to take what comes over the weekend.

Early Monday run might just set me up for the week.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Day 13
                                                                              Weather:Light but overcast, frosty underfoot
                                                                              Time: 30:24
                                                                              Days left: 12

Lying in bed, dehydrated but feeling pretty good otherwise i decided on a simple slow recovery run today given last night's wine and the slightly frosty underfoot conditions.

Felt a bit heavy, probably as a result of eating last night's Thai special fried rice for breakfast with a pint of milk.

Got round in plodding, undramatic fashion but smashed though the half way point of the challenge. The grind gathers pace.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Day 14
                                                                                Weather:Mild and damp. Dusk.
                                                                                Time: 30:24 (same as yesterday!)
                                                                                Days left: 11

By the time i got around to running today at 4.30pm the worst of the squally weather had passed (as had my hangover) and conditions were more or less perfect.

It was actually very pleasant (despite a touch of cajun fries-induced heartburn about half way round) and if the weather remains as it is overnight i might try a pre-work run tomorrow.

I'm out Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week so will have to find a way to work around that. Should be plain sailing thereafter.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Day 15
                                                                                  Weather:Very mild. Night time.
                                                                                  Time: 30:09
                                                                                  Days left: 10

My plan to get up and run at 6am was thwarted by sleeping in by 30 mins. I had an unusual 8:30am meeting so decided it wasn't worth the risk of arriving late and i'd leave the run until i got home.

Luckily the mild weather held out and it was a good run, though i'd rather have just come home and put my feet up.

If i'm awake at 6am tomorrow i might get up and try and knock out the 5k but its due to be freezing so i might take the risk of an evening run instead. Decisions, decisions. Good start to the week though.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Day 16
                                                                                    Weather:Heavy rain easing. Gusty, dark and cold.
                                                                                    Time: 29:19
                                                                                    Days left: 9

Missed the opportunity for a morning run and the weather had turned nasty by the time i got home after work.

I sat down for five mins then decided just to get up, get changed and go for it - it was only half an hour after all.

Pretty unenjoyable really but not what 'd describe as traumatic - if the wind had been wilder it would have been much worse.

Dodged puddles in the dark (but managed to stand in a couple), got splashed by a car, ran past two teenage girls smoking weed in a bus shelter (a fleeting aromatic highlight) and got soaked despite the rain easing to a drizzle towards the end of the 5k.

Got home in one piece and am typing before an open fire eating chocolate and drinking peppermint tea. Another minor triumph for the litte guy.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Day 17
                                                                                      Weather:Mild and dark.
                                                                                      Time: 30:43
                                                                                      Days left: 8

An easy run completed in near perfect conditions. Quite run of the mill except for the fact that it took me past the 600 mile mark for the year.

601 miles to be precise or about 970K - just 30K to go and i'll have clocked up my 1000k for the year.

It's tantalisingly close but i'm boozing three days in a row now. I hope nothing grim happens!

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Day 18
                                                                                        Weather:Wet, cool &dark.
                                                                                        Time: 29:46
                                                                                        Days left: 7

The alarm woke me at 6am to get up and run but i heard the wind outside and thought sod it and rolled back over for an hour.

So i left work on time to get home, run then get ready for the Christmas party tonight, the first of four nights out in a row (it was three but Sunday has now been added!)

Straightforward enough. Bit of drizzle, wee bit of wind but not too much. Got round without any drama or niggles and put another notch on the belt.

The next three runs are likely to be a little more challenging but four nights out in a row is pretty good reason to pace myself over the coming days so overall not too concerned.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Day 19
                                                                                          Weather:Cold, dry, windy and dark.
                                                                                          Time: 29:15
                                                                                          Days left: 6

This was probably the day i wanted to run least of all the days so far. It was cold and windy and i was hungover and tired still at 6pm but the show must go on so i got into my gear and ground out another 5k taking me to 980K for the year.

It was freezing and windy but once i got into my stride time passed quickly enough and i was home before i knew it bt very glad to be so.

Tomorrow will be tough.

Out in a club to see electronic boffins Autechre tonight and they don't hit the stage to get the dancefloor moving until 1am.

Then back in the pub tomorrow at around 3.30pm leaving only a small window to clear the mental fog and physical funk.

But tonight i dance!

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Day 20
                                                                                            Weather: Light, bright and fresh.
                                                                                            Time: 29:48
                                                                                            Days left: 5

I didn't get to bed 'til 4am and had drinks at 3.30pm so my window of opportunity to run was small. It was sunny and not too cold just after noon when i hit the pavement after two Weetabix and a pint of water.

The repetition of the run was punctuated only by a niggling heartburn and a pungent plume of weed smoke from the neighbourhood car wash. Otherwise pretty uneventful and overall comfortable.

I wonder if i'm getting used to it too much? No time to dwell.

More drinks tomorrow evening but i can't see that threatening the regime at this stage.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Day 21
                                                                                              Weather: Light, windy, dry, mild.
                                                                                              Time: 30:49
                                                                                              Days left: 4

Hardest run of the challenge yet. Three evenings drinking really took its toll. Was still not hydrated enough despite a pint of milk and two pints of water in the hour before i set off.

Had several more bouts of heartburn on the way round a couple of which slowed me to a near standstill. I felt bloated, heavy and uncomfortable the whole way and the only saving grace was that the weather was kind.

RunKeeper tells me i have completed 99% of my 1000k challenge so should hit it on Tuesday, a day earlier than originally anticipated probably due to rounding differences between Km and miles.

I'm of to the pub at 5pm for the final bout of pre-Christmas merriment and am thankful i don't have to run again for over 24 hours.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Day 22
                                                                                                Weather: Cold, wet & windy
                                                                                                Time: 32:49
                                                                                                Days left: 3

Another uncomfortable run after four evenings on the booze. Indeed my slowest 5k of the challenge as i went around semi-hunched over trying to prevent an imminent stitch.

Thankfully the rain had stopped by the time i hit the pavement - it had been raining horizontally an hour earlier. It was still fairly blustery but also very mild for the time of year.

Only three more runs to go. I'll be glad when this is over so i can have a proper rest.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Great commitment Benny, really well done.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Day 23
                                                                                                    Weather: Mild with a bit of wind.
                                                                                                    Time: 30:00
                                                                                                    Days left: 2

Sloped off work early but was knackered when i got home so took the opportunity to have a nap for 45 mins.

Didn't feel great when i woke up. Think it was the Mexican i had for lunch. Dicky stomach so drank a load of water. Would loved to have lit the fire, cracked open the wine and settled in for the evening but that would have to wait.

The physical aspect of the run itself was uneventful. Just another light jog without much challenge except the challenge of heading out and doing three more laps. (I almost went for pints after work having momentarily forgot i had still had to do my run for the day so declined the offer)

What was surprising was the ennui that dominated my thoughts over the 30 minute duration of the exercise.

Tomorrow i will run my 1000th kilometre of 2014 and the day after complete the Advent running challenge of 25 runs in 25 day.

What then?

There will be no finish line or cheering crowds. Probably just my wife saying well done and wondering why i'm not happier and a few thanks on here from people who've been following the end of my year-long odyssey.

Dread!

The joy of running comes from running, not sitting around thinking (or writing) about running and i am already sensing anti-climax.

Fuck sake.

So for now the two things i can be sure of in the next 48 hours:

I will complete my challenges for this year
                                                                                                    I will set a new running goal before the start of 2015

Now, where's that wine. I need some inspiration!

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Day 24
                                                                                                      Weather: Crisp, bright and dry.
                                                                                                      Distance: 5K (3.12 miles) and 1,001K for 2014
                                                                                                      Time: 29:20
                                                                                                      Days left: 1

A beautiful morning for a run and i plodded round with as much spring in my step as my hangover would allow.

At the end my running app didn't play the theme from Rocky which disappointed me a little but it did show i had completed 622 miles or 1,001K since January 1.

The 100+ runs took me from my front door in Drimnagh through the Phoenix Park and around Clontarf down to Thurles, Ballina and Portumna, up to Derry and over to Lisbon and Lanzarote.

At one point i was tracking 120k or six weeks behind and had to really step up my game to claw back all those miles.

I'm both glad and relived it's over and that i ran the last mile in the sunshine in Dublin and will celebrate tomorrow with a final 5K in Tipperary.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Good job Benny👏
                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Day 25
                                                                                                          Weather: Bright, frosty, dry.
                                                                                                          Distance: 5K (3.12 miles) and 1,006K for 2014
                                                                                                          Time: 29:06
                                                                                                          Days left: 0
                                                                                                          Mission Complete

The final run of my 25 in a row was probably the best. Not because i felt great, i didn't. My legs were stiff, my torso felt heavy and i moved cumbersomely.

But running in the frost and dew up a boreen in north Tipperary, passed only by two cars and with dogs barking in the distance the only sound i felt good, if a little underwhelmed, at finishing the challenge.

I almost certainly wouldn't have bothered seeing it out if i hadn't been keeping this log. I'd still have made my 1000K for the year and broken my consecutive days running PB and 5k time PB anyway so would have lost nothing to have sacked it off a week or 10 days ago.

But i'm glad i did if only to prove i could of course.

I'll take a week off now and kick on again in January aiming roughly for 20-30K per week to keep things consistent with a view to doing one 13.1 (21k) mile and one 16 mile (25k) run to test my mettle ahead of any decision i might make on a 2015 marathon (the season starts in April).

Thanks for tuning in for the updates, keeping me committed and sharing words of encouragement.

Happy Christmas.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Well done Benny, I've been following since you started and delighted for you. When you posted the other day that you were close and felt good I let out a "Go on my son" roar for you. Well done and gl in 2015.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Great stuff!!
                                                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Good man. Must of had tough moments, dark as wet outside and you thought fuck it.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Well played on all streets.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                  X