Gym Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gym Question(s)

Not exactly a log as such, but this seems like the place for it. Recently started going to the gym because old age is catching up with me and my back used to get really sore playing golf, so I decided to try and strengthen up. Been going about 2 months now and my back is much better. Just wanted to run my routine by experienced people to see if I should change anything...

Currently 86 kg and 6'5" if that makes any difference.

Basically I do ABABA split Monday Wednesday Friday with the following:

A:

Barbell squat 3x10
    Military press 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 10
    Inverted row 3 x 10
    2 sets of 20 crunches
    set of 20 dumbell curls
    2 sets of 10 press ups to finish

B:

Deadlifts 2 x 7
    Incline bench press 3 x 10
    Pull ups 3 x fail
    2 sets of 20 crunches
    set of 20 dumbell curls
    2 sets of 10 press ups to finish

You're close enough to the program to just do Stronglifts 5x5.

I was going to recommend more sets and less reps in any case, then noticed you're very close to SL without doing it.

Either of these splits and rep routines I'd pimp tbh.

If you want to do your isolation exercises on top, keep doing them too. No issues there.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Comment

Cheers. I tried that SL5x5 a few years ago when I briefly went to the gym and I found that the weights go up crazy fast. I also wanted to reduce the emphasis on squatting a little bit as my left knee isn't in great shape...prob should have put that in OP.

I might switch to 5 x 5 rather than 3 x 10. Any particular reasoning behind it being better?

Comment

Just allows you to not get gassed quite as quickly. So you can keep the form and lift heavier weights.

The theory behind 5x5 is to lift "just less than the heaviest weight that you can lift for 5 sets of 5 reps with perfect form".

Just don't do the weights progression as quickly as SL suggests if you're worried about injury. The important thing is form. If the form is breaking, the weight is too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

I might switch to 5 x 5 rather than 3 x 10. Any particular reasoning behind it being better?
          Depends on what you are you trying to achieve really, this is a good read. I'd recommend getting a personal trainer even for a couple of lessons to devise a programme to suit your goals and current strength levels, also getting the form right early is key. The amount of people I know who've done damage to various degrees to their backs from deadlifting is silly, given that you're so tall it's probably tougher to maintain a neutral spine.
          Profit before people.

Comment

+1 for the personal trainer. I started circuit classes back in December and they're great but I started using one of the trainers for pt last week and the benefit is huge. Get a lot more work done and more suited to me rather than a whole class.

Comment

I've a dodgy knee, really found squats useful for strengthening around the knee and my knee feels a lot better for it. Similar to you strengthening up your back despite it being sore. Just keep form as perfect as possible and take more than two days break when needed.

Comment

Working...
              X