Practice what you preach to become gangsta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
    . I have been told about stuff you can get over the counter in the chemist that pretty much means you can train at 100% every day but its on the banned substance list so I didnt bother
    What substance is that? PM if you don't want to post.
    The banned list doesn't really mean anything unless you are competing at a high level. Obviously some bad stuff are on the list, but so are some very basic stuff like the old formula of sudafed and vicks inhaler used in some countries (the irish one isn't on the list)

Comment

I cant remember the name of it lads I'll go back and ask the lad that recommended it and I'll let you know

Comment

Week 2 Update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
        Current weight = 92.9kg
        weekly weight loss = 1.6kg
        Total weight loss = 5.6kg
        Weight to go = 16.7kg

Ok so not a bad week at all - diet has been nearly close to perfect apart from the odd slip (slice of bread lol)

Training was as follows

Sunday - Mini Triathlon fun run (fundraiser for the club)
        Monday - football training on the beach (FML this was tough)
        Tuesday - REST
        Wednesday - Football training
        Thursday - Spin Class
        Friday AM - Gym (meant to have football training but I have to work later)
        Sat - Rest

I'll prob rest Sunday too because we have a League game on Monday and I want to make amends for my crap performance the last day (stange that Im the guts of a stone lighter than I was 2 weeks ago) feel a little bit better but nothing major yet

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
          Yeah you definitely need rest days.

I only train 3 times a week and I don't see any need to do more then that.
          Not enough IMO, maybe at the very start its ok but you will need to up that to 4-5 sessions (with weights) a week IMO.

Comment

Starting weight= 98.5kg
            Current weight = 92.9kg
            weekly weight loss = 1.6kg
            Total weight loss = 5.6kg
            Weight to go = 16.7kg

Ok so not a bad week at all - diet has been nearly close to perfect apart from the odd slip (slice of bread lol)

Training was as follows

Sunday - Mini Triathlon fun run (fundraiser for the club)
            Monday - football training on the beach (FML this was tough)
            Tuesday - REST
            Thursday - Spin Class
            Friday AM - Gym (meant to have football training but I have to work later)
            Sat - Rest

I'll prob rest Sunday too because we have a League game on Monday and I want to make amends for my crap performance the last day (stange that Im the guts of a stone lighter than I was 2 weeks ago) feel a little bit better but nothing major yet
            Congrats, super performance.

Comment

I could congratulate you, but you know exactly what you're doing and how much further you have to go so no pats on the back yet. Demonstrate the Big Heart on Monday with whatever minutes you have on the pitch imo.
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                Actually, on a related point, interesting debate over on boards.ie Health Forum on the new SafeFood campaign going on at home. Typical government agencies, slow to react, even slower to change. So much money spent on what is extremely extremely bad advice.
                Just saw that now from your referral. Shocking stuff.

Comment

interesting read so far - keep it going

how many calories are you taking in? and how strict are you being to this diet? Would you believe this to be the main reason to your turn around? (albeit its a complete culture up haul)

As for supplements, ive heard Jack3d described as close to cocaine - 1 guy i know who was on it actually felt himself coming down later and his mood changing noticeably.
                  Whats our opinions on this, and then on "NOexplode" and simular drinks??
                  How much will they increase your work rate vs the damage (if any) theyre doing to you

ty
                  GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                    interesting read so far - keep it going

how many calories are you taking in? and how strict are you being to this diet? Would you believe this to be the main reason to your turn around? (albeit its a complete culture up haul)

As for supplements, ive heard Jack3d described as close to cocaine - 1 guy i know who was on it actually felt himself coming down later and his mood changing noticeably.
                    Whats our opinions on this, and then on "NOexplode" and simular drinks??
                    How much will they increase your work rate vs the damage (if any) theyre doing to you

ty
                    I rarely go over 2000 cals a day but the big difference has been nearly eliminating sugar from my diet - this also me to keep insulin levels stable and constantly be burning off cals.

put it this way say I was eating a snickers every day (it was more but whatever) that is the equivilant to spending one hour in the gym. so Imagine how my body feels when the sugar is cut out completely. its nearly like spending hours in the gym everyday without lifting a finger

In summary - diet is 90% of the battle

Comment

how much does natural sugars count into this?

Is it fair to say during something like this eating as much fruit as you wish is ok? or should you keep this limited also?

Also, hydration wise, 3 litres + a day? or what

(have a look at the "supplement" Q above, also whats peoples opinions on protein/creatine shakes . . . a necessity? or only needed with extreme muscle work out? not needed at all? )
                      GAA News Website

Comment

R.e. supplements.

Protein shakes - yes if your not getting enough protein in your diet or it is difficult for you to access a quick source after the gym.

Creatine - when you have been training for a good few months you may want to incorporate creatine into your programme to increase your endurance and see further gains. Note creatine is quite difficult to get right in dosage and time of consumption etc.

Pre workout shakes - Yes I love them. Haven't tried Jack3d yet but I've heard great things and I may get it next time instead of NO Shotgun which is what I currently take. No Explode is banned in Ireland. You get a serious pump of these shakes and you get a great sweat on and really gets you in the zone. Note No Shotgun incorporates creatine as part of its components.

Comment

Pre workout supps while very good if you are doing a good solid session are the devil if you time it wrong or have to stop your session early.

You wont sleep.

I took some Mesopmorph (prob the strongest one behind NoExplode) before training on Thursday and its not exaggeration that I didnt get to sleep til about 3am and then kept waking once I drifted off.

Regard creatine good idea for recovery, thats what I use it for. Helps a lot on a deficit for recovery, helps a lot on a bulk for grinding out those last 2 reps. You'll retain a lot of water though.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Im very reluctant to say anything on supplements I know nothing about I'll let other people field that one.

Anyway I know the Dublin GAA nutritionalist and she gave me some stuff to take before the game last night. She said it was similar to this http://www.pasonline.co.uk/products/index.aspx?prid=3 but with a few tweaks

Man it was like someone shoved a rocket up my arse - never felt as good during a game (in saying that I found it hard to sleep last night and Im in ribbons today) so I might just leave it for match days

Comment

how much does natural sugars count into this?

Is it fair to say during something like this eating as much fruit as you wish is ok? or should you keep this limited also?
                              Natural sugar is just as bad as any kind.
                              Most sugar is natural.

The fruit question is tricky, if you were eating lots of bananas it would defo affect weight loss or control. Bananas are full of sugar.
                              But on the other end, you could eat berries all day. They are really low and people generally won't eat big enough amounts to have an impact.

Dried fruit, raisins, apricots etc and basically concentrated fruit. Very easy to over do it with these.

Anyway I know the Dublin GAA nutritionalist and she gave me some stuff to take before the game last night. She said it was similar to this http://www.pasonline.co.uk/products/index.aspx?prid=3 but with a few tweaks

Man it was like someone shoved a rocket up my arse - never felt as good during a game (in saying that I found it hard to sleep last night and Im in ribbons today) so I might just leave it for match days
                              Have a glance at the ingredients, it looks very similar to Jack3d or other pre supps. Match day only is a good idea as some people report that those supps can be less effective if they take them too often. A tolerance of sorts

Comment

Week 3 update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                Current weight = 91.7kg
                                weekly weight loss = 1.2kg
                                Total weight loss = 6.8kg
                                Weight to go = 15.5kg
                                Waist measure = 37'

Sunday - Rest
                                Monday - Football match - played well happy enough
                                Tuesday - Rest
                                Wednesday - Spin class
                                Thursday - Football training - not happy think I have strained my left hamstring
                                Friday - Gym
                                Sat - I have physio in the morning so I might go to the gym after depending on what he says about my hammer

One word to describe this week "sloppy"

didnt drink enough water
                                didnt injest enough fat
                                Eat too many carbs

Its amazing how little things add up - a couple of slices of pizza at JP's game, an odd ham sambo and one too many spuds for dinner each day and you see the reason why I only lost 1.2kg instead of 1.5kg+

So in order to get back on track a bit Im going to aim for the perfect week. It will include

Minimum 3 litres of water EVERY DAY
                                Train a minimum of 6 days for a minimum of 1 hour
                                Have the diet as close to perfection as humanly possible for 1 week.

Also I need to get fish oil tablets in the chemist as I dont think Im getting enough fat from nuts etc

Comment

coconut oil is a good source of fat, it is tasty enough to eat straight out of the jar tbh, plus can use it for cooking, put it in smoothies etc
                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                    coconut oil is a good source of fat, it is tasty enough to eat straight out of the jar tbh, plus can use it for cooking, put it in smoothies etc
                                    This. I add in a tablespoon to my smooties and it gives them a lovely creamy flavour. It really is fantastic. Only costs just over a euro for a tin of it in Superquinn too.

Comment

Just had my BF% taken there - shocked that im now just over 25 @ 25.5% - it worries me that I may have been closer to 30% or so 3 weeks ago.

Anyway not that it matters now because its obviously heading the right direction. I wont get them done again for about 8 weeks so I can see how much I improve.

My lean mass (everything minus fat is 69kg) so allowing for essential BF ripped to pieces would be sub 74 (assuming I dont lose any muscle mass)

ah well onwards and upwards

Comment

how was the BF so off at the time then? did you measure it yourself incorrectly? or what is it

Ive still to measure myself, but am nearly on 2 weeks without a beer, eating 2k calories a day or less. excercising broke up from what i can do in a park, kick about, sit ups press ups, few laps and few sprints to finish.
                                        What should i add in? tougher sprints, to point of empty? or longer run at start? (hate long distance runs mentally, do my tits in, so boring)
                                        opinions appreciated
                                        GAA News Website

Comment

how was the BF so off at the time then? did you measure it yourself incorrectly? or what is it

Ive still to measure myself, but am nearly on 2 weeks without a beer, eating 2k calories a day or less. excercising broke up from what i can do in a park, kick about, sit ups press ups, few laps and few sprints to finish.
                                          What should i add in? tougher sprints, to point of empty? or longer run at start? (hate long distance runs mentally, do my tits in, so boring)
                                          opinions appreciated
                                          Take a look at the youtube vid I posted in Sledgejammer's general Q&A thread...

Comment

opinions appreciated
                                            I'd say his 25% before was just a visual estimate he did himself, its pretty much impossible to measure yourself accurately (as you can't reach the more important sites)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              I'd say his 25% before was just a visual estimate he did himself, its pretty much impossible to measure yourself accurately (as you can't reach the more important sites)
                                              yeah pretty much this - tries a rough estimate based on previous weight and previous BF%. Wont be doing that again

Comment

Week 4 update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                                Current weight = 89.65kg
                                                weekly weight loss = 2.05kg
                                                Total weight loss = 8.85kg
                                                Weight to go = 13.45kg
                                                Waist measure = 36.5'

Sunday - Football training
                                                Monday - Gym
                                                Tuesday - Rest
                                                Thursday - Rest
                                                Friday - Meant to have a league game tonight but have to work with Galway
                                                Sat - I'll do a good session in the gym tomorrow

Diet was perfect this week which was good because that is what I set out to do. Getting back in the 80's weight wise has put me in great form tbh. The stretch marks I had on my arms are nearly gone and the ones on my stomach are starting to fade too

I didnt train as hard this week as I would have liked but when I have been training I have been really happy. People that were writing me off on the football team this time last month will eat their words yet

edit - another big push this week. If I can get to 88 kilos by next friday it means I have gone sub 14 stone which is a pretty big landmark for me. Im buzzing right now tbh and Iv never been more focused.

Champo game in 4 weeks. I'll be ready
                                                Last edited by Bubbleking; 08-07-11, 10:21.

Comment

Good man Tony, good to see you making progress.

Comment

throw us a sample diet would ya?

I'm on a cut too, but not getting anywhere near the results you're showing, stupid sedentary lifestyle.

Think my diet's clean, but maybe could do with some other work. Although, have to make do with what's in the fridge/presses till next week anyw ay.

Comment

yeah no problem (this is what I had yesterday)

9am scrambled eggs from the canteen (If Im hungry Il throw in bacon too)

12.30pm bowl of veg soup and a salad with the following. Chicken, tuna, sweetcorn, peppers, goats cheese, tomatoes, red onion and some Brazil nuts.

Also popped a couple of fish oil tablets with added flax seed oil.

5pm not sure what it was because herself was cooking but I think it was chicken and wholemeal pasta with a sauce made from chicken soup and milk - was quite tasty actually.

8.30pm - had a tin of tuna to help get down another couple of fish oil tablets.

Today

9am - Porridge with blue berries and a tablespoon of honey

12.30pm - Il prob have the same as yesterday

5pm - I dunno what I'll do here Im working from 6-10 so I might go down and get some pub food to keep me going

If im hungry during the day I just snack on the odd apple and Brazil nuts

Comment

Everyone seems to be a fan of the fish oil, must look into getting some...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                          Everyone seems to be a fan of the fish oil, must look into getting some...
                                                          +1

Any names? Brands? Specifics? Bargains?

Couldn't find those psylium husks that I was told to look for the other week either.

Comment

I ledt the bottle at home I'll get it for you later - it isnt bad value 90 tabs for 15 euro

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              Couldn't find those psylium husks that I was told to look for the other week either.
                                                              They definitely had those in Holland & Barrets the last time I was there fwiw.

Comment

They definitely had those in Holland & Barrets the last time I was there fwiw.
                                                                had them as tablets though when I checked...

Its moot point really anyway for another few weeks though.

Comment

had them as tablets though when I checked...

Its moot point really anyway for another few weeks though.
                                                                  I'm in the same boat thanks to car costs unfortunately - had to cancel trip to Benicassim

Comment

+1

Any names? Brands? Specifics? Bargains?

I'm still going through 2 tubs of these and I bought them ages ago. Ridiculous value for 1000 caps and good quality too.

Comment

whats the deal with the fish oil?

i take a few spoons of paradox every now and then to help with the ol' arthritis

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

went on the beer on saturday and its taken me until today to get back to where I was last friday

not worth it imo

Comment

Week 5 Update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                                                          Current weight = 89.1kg
                                                                          weekly weight loss = 0.55kg
                                                                          Total weight loss = 9.40kg
                                                                          Weight to go = 12.90kg
                                                                          Waist measure = 36'

Sunday - Hungover
                                                                          Monday - Rest
                                                                          Tuesday - Football training
                                                                          Wednesday - Rest
                                                                          Thursday - Football training
                                                                          Friday - Gym
                                                                          Sat - Light run or some light gym work

Bah had a crap week this week - blow outs just arent worth it. After drinking my fill of pints last week and the mandatory food after/take away the next day it was always going to be tough . Yes I lost .5kg but thats pretty fecking crap tbh. Anyway lesson learned no more blow outs (only 3 weeks until championship.)

We are playing our championship opponents in the League on Monday night. We expect to get beaten well as we are missing an awful lot through suspension and injury and holidays. Plus we might play our forwards as backs and vis versa for the laugh

Eh positives from this week are I am down to a 36' waist which is nice as some of my clothes that I had "outgrown" now fit me again and my fitness has improved dramatically (Im starting to imerge from the pack )

Bit disapoointed I missed my target of going sub 14 stone (I now weigh 14st 0.4lb) but Im going to put in the work this week and should cruise below it.

Thats all for this week - stay classy IPB

Comment

Just quit the booze for a while.

Go nuts when you've earned it(i.e when you hit your target).

Dropping a waist size is always an awesome feeling. I've done it 7 times. Always feels bloody brilliant.

Comment

#98
                                                                              Thinking of going back playing football as a couple of lads I'm friends with are playing up here for Portobello.

Went to watch them last night and they're at a level I'd be pretty comfortable with (i.e. lolbad).

My major problem playing football was always fitness, so if I go back playing I'll want to solve this.

What do you recommend as the best sort of cardio regime for getting up to speed for football?

Comment

#99
                                                                                Thinking of going back playing football as a couple of lads I'm friends with are playing up here for Portobello.

Went to watch them last night and they're at a level I'd be pretty comfortable with (i.e. lolbad).

My major problem playing football was always fitness, so if I go back playing I'll want to solve this.

What do you recommend as the best sort of cardio regime for getting up to speed for football?
                                                                                This is all imo obviously so others may disagree with it.

1. you need to build a baseline fitness i.e. long runs at a moderate pace. Im not too worried on the distance once you can run between 30 mins and an hour. This is completely irrelevent to football and I hate it but you need some base line level of fitness

2. start to train the anerobic system (this is making energy in the absense of oxygen and it happens when we want to work harder than our body can take in oxygen) Spinning classes are the nuts for this as is interval training

3. HITT. this is when you want to push on through. This is just an example but use half a football pitch (the outside). stand on the halfway line and face down the touchline. Run @ 80-100% down the touchline around the goals and to the halfway line on the other side. Dont stop and use the walk across the opitch to get you recovery

Repeat until dead

Comment

Week 6 update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                                                                  Current weight = 89.2kg
                                                                                  weekly weight loss = +0.1kg
                                                                                  Total weight loss = 9.30kg
                                                                                  Weight to go = 13kg
                                                                                  Waist measure = 36'

Sunday - Rest
                                                                                  Monday - Football match (happy with how I played)
                                                                                  Tuesday - Rest
                                                                                  Thursday - Rest (hamstrings very tight need to see physio for rub out)
                                                                                  Friday - Gym
                                                                                  Sat - Hopefully I'll get a light run in down in tramore if its a nice morning

Bit miffed about this week tbh. I know I put on .1kg but for all intents and purposes its counted as maitanance. I cant really think of anything that would have stopped the weight loss. I had meetings a couple of mornings this week that I was running late for so skipped breakfast - maybe thats it? no breakfast = slower metabolism = less calories burned = no weight loss.

Id like to change up my training to include more gym days but the club at home has us training hard 4 times a week so its hard to fit anything else in. As a team we played shite on Monday so on wednesday we just played a game at training - It was as hard as any championship match Iv ever played the hits were rediculous (which is good to see but Im in bits today).

It looks like Im having a mental block getting through this 14 stone barrier. I suppose all I can do is keep it clean and hopefully next week Il get through it

Comment

Its defo not that you skipped breakfast.

The metabolic slowdown you might have gotten from not eating breakfast defo wouldn't compensate for the lack of actual breakfast calories.

The fact you are in the gym and training a lot means you probably didnt get any sort of notable metabolic slowdown anyway.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Week 7 Update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                                                                      Current weight = 88.5kg
                                                                                      weekly weight loss = 0.7kg
                                                                                      Total weight loss = 10.00kg
                                                                                      Weight to go = 12.3kg
                                                                                      Waist measure = 36'

Sunday - Spinning with the club (great craic tbf)
                                                                                      Monday - Gym
                                                                                      Tuesday - Rest
                                                                                      Thursday - Rest
                                                                                      Friday - Football training
                                                                                      Sat - probably rest

First off I have finally broken the 14 stone barrier (go me) I now weigh 13st 13lb Its kind of a mini landmark goal for me but I wont be leaving it there its just good to be down in the 13's again after being at 15.5 stone at the start.

Second - this was a shit week Needed a couple of beers to unwind in waterford - I forgot how to drink and was pissed after 4 coronas followed by takeaway. We are training so hard in the football at the minute that its hard to get any gym time in as all the days you arent training you are so wrecked you just want to stay in bed

Big championship match is now 9 days away so all attention now gets focused on that. I would like to lose a minimum of 1kg this week because that will bring me to the halfway mark of the entire challenge. It will be kinda shite staying in for the entire bank holiday but when you play on a team theres a load of other people in the same boat so it isnt too bad

Comment

Does anyone know a good swimming plan for a novice? I try to do the odd bit of swimming after gym work but I find that if I do 2 lengths in a row Im knackered. Does anybody have a programme for building up endurance?

maybe I should get a coach/lessons

once winter comes in I'll be doing all my training in the gym so Id like to have it down by then

Comment

One on one off, swim with someone.

Length at 70% an then recovery at 40%, repeat repeat repeat repeat etc etc until tears, cramps, drown etc

Swimming lanes with someone else taking the opposing line and you trying to steer clear of them is handy on this too.

Comment

Get a few lessons Tony, technique is vital to get a decent return from swimming probably moreso than any other type of cardio.

Comment

Does anyone know a good swimming plan for a novice? I try to do the odd bit of swimming after gym work but I find that if I do 2 lengths in a row Im knackered. Does anybody have a programme for building up endurance?

maybe I should get a coach/lessons

once winter comes in I'll be doing all my training in the gym so Id like to have it down by then
                                                                                              Hey Tony,
                                                                                              I always found that the training given to me by my big brothers (when I was 6) worked really well........ 1 arm 1 leg each, into the air (spinning me of course!) and land in the 6 foot end............ swam like Michelle Smith, drug enhanced, after that!
                                                                                              D15 CASINO, Mulhuddart Village (opp Blanchardstown shopping centre)

Comment

http://www.swimsmooth.com

Fab site for all levels, focus on one thing per session eg getting your body horizontal in water.
                                                                                                There is a couch to 5k equivalent for swimming too, zero to one mile i think its called.
                                                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

People always harp on about how swimming is the best cardio as its full body work and such low impact. Both of which are true. But it also fails to consider the fact that unless you can swim well you get nowhere. A huge amount of people who swim for fitness are wasting their time just paddling along.

If you want to go for it BK, put in the extra work now to get the technique down, so it pays off in the future.

Comment

week 8 update

Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                                                                                    Current weight = 88.7kg
                                                                                                    weekly weight loss = +0.2kg
                                                                                                    Total weight loss = 9.8kg
                                                                                                    Weight to go = 12.5kg
                                                                                                    Waist measure = 35'

Sunday - Spinning with the club
                                                                                                    Monday - Gym
                                                                                                    Tuesday -Football training
                                                                                                    Wednesday - Rest
                                                                                                    Thursday - Football training
                                                                                                    Friday - Rest
                                                                                                    Sat - Gentle kick around
                                                                                                    Sunday - Championship

Not too worried about not losing anything this week - Training has been pretty intense so Iv been eating and drinking (water) lots to help me recover. In other news Iv knocked another inch off my waist and got my BF% done again today. so since thats the end of 2 months I suppose I better to a 2 month summary

BF has dropped from 30% to 22%
                                                                                                    Im 1.5 stone lighter
                                                                                                    Iv lost 3 inches from my waist

now although there is still a long way to go that is a serious improvement since the last championship match. I think when the football season is over it will be easier to lose weight as I can spend more time in the gym and wont be as worried about trying to recover optimally so I can eat below maintence again

Comment

Update?
                                                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

week ??? Update

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                        Update?
                                                                                                        Starting weight= 98.5kg
                                                                                                        Current weight = 87.0kg
                                                                                                        weekly weight loss = ????kg
                                                                                                        Total weight loss = 11.5kg
                                                                                                        Weight to go = 10kg
                                                                                                        Waist measure = 35'

Havnt really been making earth shattering progress the last couple of weeks - I'll pull the socks up again and see what I can do. Getting knocked of champo + getting into med school resulted in a good few nights on the beer and living the good life. Have a bike now for cycling to college so its always nice to get the extra bit of exercise in

Comment

New Season

Have to have some lol loking back at the huge effort I put in to get fit for football only to be back at square 1 again (well thats technically not true and I'll explain why in a second) Its amazing how quickly the motivation faded when the football season ended but with the start of the new season comes the start of new motivation. hopefully.

In the off season I did 0 training (cardio) what so ever. I eat and drank to my hearts content and did a bit of lifting for the american football - I hit a new PB in the bench and just kept my squat and deadlift ticking over. Unfortunately that made me tip up to 16.5 stone which is great for football but an absolute disaster for GAA. Im back training about a month now - back to the old hard routine trying to do something every single day. We arent out in the championship for another 10 weeks so the plan for that time is to be perfect - in every way; eating sleeping and training. To be fair It has been very good over the last month but I was starting to lose track so I thought Id post up here to keep me focused

Starting weight= 104kg (16.5st) just after ski trip on January 13th 2012
                                                                                                          Current weight = 95.5kg (15st)
                                                                                                          Target weight (phase 1) = 89kg (14st) [st Patricks day]
                                                                                                          Target weight (phase 2) = 83kg (13st) [first round of championship]
                                                                                                          Ultimatetarget weight 76.2kg (12st) [business end of championship - mid summer]
                                                                                                          body fat 28% - ultimate target sub 10%
                                                                                                          waist measure 38 inches - ultimate target 32

Obviously going to be a lot of hard work...again but in a sick way I kind of enjoy being a hermit during the season and then destroying myself in the off season (cant be good for me)

Gonna try and keep some record of specific exercises this time around as I want to see how much my 1rm's drop with the weight I lose. Hopefully they wont drop at all but given the size of the cut its pretty inevitable

Comment

Good luck dude.

Comment

Gonna try and keep some record of specific exercises this time around as I want to see how much my 1rm's drop with the weight I lose. Hopefully they wont drop at all but given the size of the cut its pretty inevitable
                                                                                                              I wouldn't be so sure they'll drop. You looking to lose 12kg in 10 weeks. It's not impossible that is will be mostly from fat loss with little muscle. You'll lose some benefit to the extra mass on some lifts, but I'd guess that these will be off set by the improvments in efficiency, strength, CNS etc from lifting again.
                                                                                                              What are the current 1RMs?

Comment

Good luck.

You doing the GAA and AF? Possibly a change of postion required in AF if you lose that weight I presume?

Edit: re - the waist measurement

Last edited by Lurker23; 16-02-12, 23:35.

Comment

12 stone for championship football, you'll get battered!!

gl with it. I'm happy to say I cancelled my gym membership y'day

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                    I wouldn't be so sure they'll drop. You looking to lose 12kg in 10 weeks. It's not impossible that is will be mostly from fat loss with little muscle. You'll lose some benefit to the extra mass on some lifts, but I'd guess that these will be off set by the improvments in efficiency, strength, CNS etc from lifting again.
                                                                                                                    What are the current 1RMs?
                                                                                                                    Done this today Mellor just to work out weight % for the new programme;

these are all at body weight of 95kg - hopefully I can keep them steady at this and then when I get down I can raise them a bit (or so is the plan)

Tricep dips (proper ones ) BW x 14
                                                                                                                    Squat 150kg
                                                                                                                    Bench 95kg

I missed 100kg by a whisker - it would have been the first time in my life to throw up a tonne

edit - Im going in to do Deadlifts and Wide grip pull ups on monday - didnt want to do too many 1Rm's on the same day

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post

You doing the GAA and AF? Possibly a change of postion required in AF if you lose that weight I presume?
                                                                                                                    yeah Im going to ask to change to safety or more likely corner. I think FB's will just run over me if Im still at MLB

Comment

Done this today Mellor just to work out weight % for the new programme;

these are all at body weight of 95kg - hopefully I can keep them steady at this and then when I get down I can raise them a bit (or so is the plan)
                                                                                                                      Your cut is a lot harsher than any I've done but I've managed to keep the numbers the same when on a deficit.
                                                                                                                      The hardest part I found was recovery between sets was much worse when cutting. And not strength it's self. So I'd keep warm up sets to a min, taper reps to save energy for top set etc

Comment

Had our first league game today which we won by 4 points against Ballivor - the team who recently won the Leinster Junior title. Tbf both teams were missing players so it was far from a full throttle encounter but still good to get the win.

Happy with how things went today - moved surprisingly well until I ran out of steam 10 mins from the end but that was expected. Out again in the league this week but gonna train hard all this week regardless

Comment

Perfect week Day 1

going for the perfect week regarding diet and training to see how I get on - need to keep updating this or I'll stray from the task (having a completely perfect week is tough)

Monday

Gym

Bike 10 min warm up

Dips
                                                                                                                          BW 3 x 5

Deadlift
                                                                                                                          5x 60
                                                                                                                          5x80
                                                                                                                          3 x 110
                                                                                                                          2 x 140
                                                                                                                          form didnt feel right so stopped for today - hate deadlifts can never get my form right

lat pulldowns
                                                                                                                          3 x 6 x 70kg

core work - planks, bridge etc

Food

breakfast
                                                                                                                          2 oatcakes with peanut butter and 2 hard boiled eggs (eaten after gym)

Lunch
                                                                                                                          tuna salad (no salad dressing just tomatoes, peppers, onion, lettuce, chickpeas and kidney beans - with a tin of tuna.)

Dinner
                                                                                                                          300g pork chop with one baked potato and some broccoli.

dont think I eat enough for dinner I might boil an egg or something around 8 to keep me ticking over

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X