Taking 3 days off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking 3 days off

Decided to take 3 days off at least, basically as poker can be very time consuming and heavy on the shoulders and i haven't taken more than 1 day off a week since well before January. Had a half decent day yesterday so can afford to relax and try free the stress for a few days, plan was to be able to move up by August, but I'd say fingers crossed, can possibly do it by the end of next month, I wont pressure it tho, I'l let it happen as it wants, I might even start or use this thread to push myself a bit harder and post up graphs, games played, goals i had, start of year, goals for rest of year etc, when i come back from days off. But looking to know, best things to do? Apart from little more time with herself and that obviously
    take sweets from strangers, lose everything!

Just chill with mates, gf, family. Go for a night out or a meal. Just treat it like holiday and do nothi g poker related. Take herself away for a night.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
      Just chill with mates, gf, family. Go for a night out or a meal. Just treat it like holiday and do nothi g poker related. Take herself away for a night.
      Defo nothing poker related computers going off

Comment

Go for some easy excercise - maybe a swim followed by a soak/steam.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
          Go for some easy excercise - maybe a swim followed by a soak/steam.
          That's exactly what I'l do, something I don't do enough of, hard to fit it in with minding the little 1 all day, and when she's back from work, i do usually get straight on it, I must make a bit of time somewere for it as, it would definitely help

Comment

In almost any endeavour you are much better off taking regular breaks on both a micro and macro level. Not taking a day off since January is crazy.

Poker can be difficult because you are effectively self employed and any time off can be seen as time wasted.

Taking time off after a big win is probably a bad idea. Treat it like a business. Take regular time off and let your short terms results have as little as impact on your life as possible. Its very easy to fall into the trap of working most when you are losing, and least when winning.

As to your specific question - I don't think anyone who doesn't know you can be much help. Many people find Golf a welcome distraction from their working/family lives - personally I'd rather lie face down in the middle of the road. Explore your other interests, whatever they maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by 4ofakind1489 View Post
              Decided to take 3 days off at least, basically as poker can be very time consuming and heavy on the shoulders and i haven't taken more than 1 day off a week since well before January. Had a half decent day yesterday so can afford to relax and try free the stress for a few days, plan was to be able to move up by August, but I'd say fingers crossed, can possibly do it by the end of next month, I wont pressure it tho, I'l let it happen as it wants, I might even start or use this thread to push myself a bit harder and post up graphs, games played, goals i had, start of year, goals for rest of year etc, when i come back from days off. But looking to know, best things to do? Apart from little more time with herself and that obviously
              This is nuts. And entirely unnecessary.

If you do any kind of research at all, even the most simple version of 'listening' to your own body/mind, you'll quickly realise that everyone needs breaks. Sure, you also need goals and the determination to work hard.

Big mistake is to think that working hard = slave-like hours. Its far more important to put in quality hours than long hours.

As others have suggested, you need regular breaks to give your body and mind a chance to catch up with you. The good news is that you're close to approaching your goal even by abusing [working too long/hard] your body, imagine how much closer you'd be if you'd been a little more generous with yourself?

I don't know you so I've no idea what you should be doing outside poker, but as a first step you should find something that takes your mind completely off the game, so something else that can absorb you for the period of time you allot to it.

It probably also goes without saying that you consistently need to look at your diet [as it is feeding your brain] and exercise [as fitness is vital in helping you reach your full potential].

Written by Not-a-lifecoach. - so take with pinch of salt as necessary.

Comment

Ok going to start this off, as I said main goal was to move up by end of august from $5 fo and $2r to $11 fo and $3|$5r, was a possibility much sooner but, with a lot invested in upcoming coaching and Icmizer, Flopzilla, other (poker related) investments, its gonna have to be probably put on hold untill end of August, unless I bink a couple, which is always a possibility, but I'm in no rush, will happen itself. Ok basically going to put up possibly monthly graphs etc, something to push me a little more, and maybe stop slacking from time to time, will put in a lot of extra hours aswell with hh using flopzilla and Icmizer, once I figure out how to use them properly. Any advice on best way to post weekly/monthly of games played etc? I've seen it done but not sure what's best way? Basically I 15/20 3 nights of the week (mind baby in day) and break between 10pm to 1am in my buyin range so bit of a nightmare, but Other 3 days I can grind all day and can get 30+ in if needed, all advice or comment on anything at all, greatly appreciated, I am however making it a must to take 1 whole day off per/week possibly Fridays, but we'l see how this goes

Comment

Year graph (stars) only so far
                  Attached Files

Comment

Gl with this mate.Volume is everything at these stakes on stars because the avg field size is just fuking unreal like 4k or so.Ideally you should be looking to play 800+ mtts a month and thats alot of hours

Best of luck in your games,
                    “The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.”

Comment

Originally posted by shanno66 View Post
                      Gl with this mate.Volume is everything at these stakes on stars because the avg field size is just fuking unreal like 4k or so.Ideally you should be looking to play 800+ mtts a month and thats alot of hours

Best of luck in your games,
                      Yea field size is a nightmare, but it has to be done, worse part is getting to last 2 tables from 4k fields for fuck all as most money is on FT but its gotta be done, was wondering number of games, so thanks for that, I'l look at schedule and make sure I get that in, thanks again and gl at the tables

Comment

Just finished a rough session, nothing went my way but i did manage at least to get closer to the 32 games mark so I wreckon i could defo do the 800+ a month, just a question, somebody hopefully can answer! How do I get daily/monthly graphs or whatever of games played etc? I see them up that people post but haven't a clue were to find them? Rather than writing it all down manually. Secondly HEM 2 replayer, Is there any way you can change it from start of tourney to the end, mine seems to play backwards? Or is that just the way it is? Also can anybody give me a heads up on flopzilla and icmizer, I've watch videos but am struggling to understand it still, ty

Comment

Use https://www.sharkscope.com/ to get graphs. You get 5 free searches a day but you can only get custom graphs like day/month etc. if you subscribe. It's only $10 dollars for 200 searches though.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                            Use https://www.sharkscope.com/ to get graphs. You get 5 free searches a day but you can only get custom graphs like day/month etc. if you subscribe. It's only $10 dollars for 200 searches though.
                            Yea, cheers that part I know, but, there's a box that I've seen posted and it says games played monthly etc profit, roi for just that month is what I'm looking for, I've looked on sharkscope and its not what I'm looking for, or maybe I just cant find it

Comment

In pt3 there's a filter function and I assume hem is same. Filter your results for the specific period then click on Your graph. You should probably check out the hem tutorials. Good luck with balancing life and poker.

Comment

Was feeling great start of session, building stacks, with good volume then everything went wrong, think i tilted off the last few games, so will take a break and see how I'm feeling, then will get the rest of daily required games in, haven't felt this tilted since last year, thought I'd sorted it, but its obviously still an issue. Cant be tilting out of games that's for sure, couple of stacks thrown away when itm aswell, need to sort it

Comment

Plan of action, on my 3 late days, there is 16 mtts too suit, so I will add in 5x 4.50 180 mans and when no more to start, I will add in up to 12/15 2.50 180 man turbos + 4/5 storm sattelittes as space becomes available to get max volume, other days no problem getting volume in. Plan is to play 1k mtts (including) s&g's thrown in for balance monthly. Going to make it a must to get in a half hour jog before each session, as to focus my mind more (get fitter) for the extra volume. Will also be eating healthier from now on, and listening to Jared Tendlers podcasts while grinding to sort our tilt issues

Comment

Anybody know how to find out how many mtts you've played throughout month so I can keep track incase something comes up and I have to make it up?

Comment

do you use holdem manager or poker tracker ? if not sharkscope subscrition for $10 is the best option imo.

Comment

do you use holdem manager or poker tracker ? if not sharkscope subscrition for $10 is the best option imo.
                                        Yea HEM2 but i can find everything but number of games played? If i sub to sharkscope I'l get it there? Ty, question if ye don't mind mate, do you base your schedule across sites? Or do ya just play stars? And how many would ya play max at at time?

Comment

Yea HEM2 but i can find everything but number of games played? If i sub to sharkscope I'l get it there? Ty, question if ye don't mind mate, do you base your schedule across sites? Or do ya just play stars? And how many would ya play max at at time?
                                          Yeah sharkscope will give you any stat you want in advanced search.

I play Stars,Winamax,Stars.fr and ftp,

I dont really have a sched i just reg whatever is on at the time lol obv this is not a good way of doing it but i start at different times most days.

I was playing 16/18 tables up until last week when i did some reviews and realized i was missing some clear opens so have dropped it down to 12 for a wile.I think most people play to many tables in general but you just have to find what amount is right for you.

Comment

I play Stars,Winamax,Stars.fr and ftp,

I dont really have a sched i just reg whatever is on at the time lol obv this is not a good way of doing it but i start at different times most days.

I was playing 16/18 tables up until last week when i did some reviews and realized i was missing some clear opens so have dropped it down to 12 for a wile.I think most people play to many tables in general but you just have to find what amount is right for you.
                                            Yea that's my prob, see I have a 32" so can comfortably fit 9 little overlap with 12, was playing it over FR 2 ftp couple ipoker, and rest on stars, but not too sure whether to max it at 9 tbh as i think its vital to have 2 screens for 9+ tables, I've schedules set out but keep changing them or adding in some, making sure I'm getting volume in as mtt wise it dry's up for my Buyin range untill 1 or so (last reg has to be 11) otherwise little 1 be on my lap if i regged any later and went deep, confused as to how many to play tbh, stressing me out lol

Comment

Yea that's my prob, see I have a 32" so can comfortably fit 9 little overlap with 12, was playing it over FR 2 ftp couple ipoker, and rest on stars, but not too sure whether to max it at 9 tbh as i think its vital to have 2 screens for 9+ tables, I've schedules set out but keep changing them or adding in some, making sure I'm getting volume in as mtt wise it dry's up for my Buyin range untill 1 or so (last reg has to be 11) otherwise little 1 be on my lap if i regged any later and went deep, confused as to how many to play tbh, stressing me out lol
                                              Just play as many as you can in the timeframe you have for reging and if u feel volume is low you can add in some 180s towards the end of your session so your not wasting time 2 or 3 tabling,

Comment

Its a good idea to pre reg for your scheduel well before your 1st game and you can be adding to it as you go on, I find it best this way when multitabling.

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                                                  Its a good idea to pre reg for your scheduel well before your 1st game and you can be adding to it as you go on, I find it best this way when multitabling.
                                                  Yea I always have it wrote out day by day, with some added in, madness has just happened, just been offered a stake and have accepted so I am now backed and will be playing $11+ gl me

Comment

Yea I always have it wrote out day by day, with some added in, madness has just happened, just been offered a stake and have accepted so I am now backed and will be playing $11+ gl me
                                                    Well done Glenn, delighted for you. Best of luck with it.

I wonder will your "mate" carry on trolling you

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                      Well done Glenn, delighted for you. Best of luck with it.

I wonder will your "mate" carry on trolling you
                                                      Thanks mate delighted I am, ah ya never know, he's been ok since tbh

Comment

Challenge and Goals

Hey guys, going to start this and update it as much as I possibly can with graphs, maybe some hh and who knows what else.Basically going to do this for a number of reasons but main aim is too set some goals and stick to them, and too push through the stakes! I was looking to get backed around July because I had a prob with having to mix life roll and poker roll as 1, and I thought getting backed would be best option. Anyway applied to a couple of places and got a response from 1. It was for 2.50 180's and mtts 3.30 and under and to obv move up stakes as we go. I accepted the deal as, to be quite honest the stakes didnt really matter to me as I love the game and love working very hard to improve all the time so I was willing to accept pretty much anything as I'd be fairly confident and was looking forward to climbing the stakes. Also got an offer to play mtts upto $11 and $5r from another backer but refused this as I already agreed to the other one and I will finish any contract that i say i will finish before I do anything else! anyway enough of my bull**** any questions etc feel free to ask!If mods can change this thread to challenge and goals please. Will start this from November as obviously goals cant be reached from now to eom.

Goals:
                                                        1/ Play 2000 games in a month (mtts will include in this but most of my volume will be 180's)
                                                        2/review 12 hand historys other than with coach of my own in the month and 12 hh from other people to review
                                                        3/ watch 20 videos in a month
                                                        4/ work up to going for a run again at least 3 times a week by eom
                                                        5/ Have moved up stakes

I will post weekly daily goals ofc aswell nearer the time, however i will give some freerolls for any of my monthly goals not met and if i make a weekly one i will give up freerolls on them too. ALL freerolls are for $50 so first to post which one gets the sweat! I will be 100% honest with the goals that cannot be tracked as I wont get anything out of this otherwise so you can trust me!
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

if anybody can tell me better way to post graphs etc all advice appreciated as I am brutal with computers

Comment

Good luck Glenn

Best of luck with this Glenn hope you reach all of your set goals.
                                                            Having played against you and railed some of your
                                                            FInal tables
                                                            I know how much skill and knowledge you have of the game.
                                                            He fully the volume you put in will pay off
                                                            I know from my own experience that building a roll and getting consistency
                                                            In your game is so tough
                                                            Also is be interested to hear your opinion on the recent rake increases at stars
                                                            Does it affect you personally?
                                                            How do you see the evolution of poker progressing in the next ten years
                                                            Will it be less regs and more rec players?
                                                            Or will the game simply become less and less a mainstream past time
                                                            And instead a niche game for a smaller and smaller group of players.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Feely View Post
                                                              Best of luck with this Glenn hope you reach all of your set goals.
                                                              Having played against you and railed some of your
                                                              FInal tables
                                                              I know how much skill and knowledge you have of the game.
                                                              He fully the volume you put in will pay off
                                                              I know from my own experience that building a roll and getting consistency
                                                              In your game is so tough
                                                              Also is be interested to hear your opinion on the recent rake increases at stars
                                                              Does it affect you personally?
                                                              How do you see the evolution of poker progressing in the next ten years
                                                              Will it be less regs and more rec players?
                                                              Or will the game simply become less and less a mainstream past time
                                                              And instead a niche game for a smaller and smaller group of players.
                                                              Cheers, not going to bother with this as no interest so no point putting in the extra time involved, but to answer some of your Q
                                                              rake increase will effect everyone, dosent effect me more so as of yet tho.
                                                              Poker is fine, but sites like ipoker really should get there finger out now and start upping there game, adding games, bettering software etc as there are lots of annoyed people with stars atm.
                                                              Defintely will effect us regs more as you will see a drop in rec players in the games we play, big big drop noticed already

Comment

Working...
                                                              X