YOLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOLO

I've been going to the gym for the last few months. I'm going to do a triathlon in two months and decided to make some formal goals. I start training for the triathlon tomorrow (new running runners arrived today!)

This is where I am currently:

Unassisted pull ups: 6
    1 Rep max squat: 130kg
    Body Fat: 10%
    1 Rep max chest press: 55kg

750m swim: 16mins in a 25m pool
    20km cycle: 42mins
    5km run: 20mins
    (These three are from a year ago so may not be currently accurate)

Goals: Pullups: 10
    1 Rep max squat: 150kg
    Body Fat: 9%
    1 Rep max chest press: 65kg

Swim: 16
    Cycle: 40
    5km Run: 19mins

I'm not entirely sure what my overall goal for the triathlon will be, something around under 1:20 (which includes transitions). I'll do a practice one in the next week to give myself a rough idea of where I am now. Running 5k is a lot harder after cycling 20km!

Good luck with this.

I suggest a good few long sessions and back to back block training sessions, along with plenty of practise transitionning to help bring down your time ...

Comment

GL with this.

Thats a really really good max squat.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
        GL with this.

Thats a really really good max squat.
        Yeah, it was nice to find something in the gym I was actually good at!

Comment

LIDL are curently stocking one of those chin up gadgets that you can fit to a door frame. They are 16.50 and I guess it might be worth the investment as you can just pop in few chin ups whenever throughout the day and build you rep range that way.

just an idea.

also your 1 rep max to 65 on chest seems a little bit unambitious.
          you can definitely get a 1 rep max much higher than that i'd imagine. personally i'd be going for building a rep range more than a 1 max rep but that would just be my way.

good luck with it. i suspect your plan/aims will evolve when after a few sessions and you start to see some progress.

Comment

Week 1 Day 1

5 pull ups. Failed on the 6th one.

Warmup deadlifts, 10×60kg. 5×90kg

Deadlifted 110kg, 5 sets of three.

Various rows and curls.

30 mins of a body pump class.

Deadlift was tough but do-able. The class got extremely tough towards the end. Glad to get back after a week off.

Going to rest tomorrow bar a 5km run. Back to the gym Thursday.

Comment

Good luck with this.
              Whats your current/goal bodyweight?

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
                LIDL are curently stocking one of those chin up gadgets that you can fit to a door frame. They are 16.50 and I guess it might be worth the investment as you can just pop in few chin ups whenever throughout the day and build you rep range that way.

just an idea.
                My friend actually gave me one as a birthday present last week, I just need to work out how to safely attach it to my door!

also your 1 rep max to 65 on chest seems a little bit unambitious.
                you can definitely get a 1 rep max much higher than that i'd imagine. personally i'd be going for building a rep range more than a 1 max rep but that would just be my way.
                I should have been clearer at the start, I am an absolute novice at anything to do with weight training. My goals are pretty arbitrary, I'm quite confident when doing squats and feel comfortable doing them - I was aiming for 125 last week and ended up doing 130, I felt like I could do 135 but decided to leave it for a while. However, my 55kg chest press was ridiculous, I mean I got it up and down, but it nearly killed me and I never really felt in control. So possibly I am being unambitious. All feedback gratefully appreciated. I've learnt a lot from the other training logs. What would you suggest I aim for in 6 weeks? (3 gym sessions a week with at least one of upperbody)

good luck with it. i suspect your plan/aims will evolve when after a few sessions and you start to see some progress.
                Thanks a lot. I'd imagine so too. I've seen quite a bit of progress already, 6 weeks ago my max pull ups was 2, and before christmas my max squat was 105kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  Good luck with this.
                  Whats your current/goal bodyweight?
                  Current is 78kgs. Not sure about an exact goal, somewhere around 75.

Comment

Can i suggest doing DB bench pressing rather than BB. Although the number wont be as high, it's definitely as tough but it also has the added benefit if having more control and is safer to do for a beginner (ie easier to drop to the sides). Also, if you have any sort of imbalance it will go some way towards fixing it, that a BB wont.

Comment

Ran 3km in just over 16 mins with very little warm up. Found it very hard, I have a lot of practice to do!

I think my running goal might be optimistic. I just checked my logs from last year and after 3 months of steady running practice my best pace was 4.25, which is 21.40 over 5km. I have been doing almost no running recently, so I'm not at that level now. Something to aim for anyway.

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                      Can i suggest doing DB bench pressing rather than BB. Although the number wont be as high, it's definitely as tough but it also has the added benefit if having more control and is safer to do for a beginner (ie easier to drop to the sides). Also, if you have any sort of imbalance it will go some way towards fixing it, that a BB wont.
                      I do some DB pressing, I just picked the BB as a benchmark. I always have someone spotting me when I do any sort of difficult weights. I see what you mean about being much safer, I'll stick to DB when I'm on my own.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback!

Comment

Best of luck with this Darragh, some nice squat and dead numbers already. I think your goals are achievable.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Week 1 Day 2

Chest Press
                          Warm up
                          Bar * 26, Bar * 10
                          50kg 5sets of 5

I felt much more in control this time than before, even on the last rep the movement was smooth.

Barbell Press

35kg 5 sets of 5

Got tired quickly and last few had pretty bad form. Not comfortable with this weight.

3 Sets of 50 Chest pulls with minimal weight. Not sure if I'm using the right term here.

10 Pressups
                          28 Half Pressups.

Happy with the pressups, I was surprised to be able to do 10 with good form despite my arms being sore from the above. The last few half pressups were agony.

Comment

Do you know what Lidl your friend got the chin up bar in HJ?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                              I'm not sure, I'll ask him.

Week 1 Day 3

Warm up of Plank, Mountain Climbers etc.

Managed six pull ups and was close to seven.

Squat 80kg, three sets of ten.

Deadlift 85kg * 6, 95 * 6 100 * 6

60kg by 30, twice.

Easy enough session. I was happy with the pull ups, thats the first time I've ever not struggled with the sixth.

Going to run 3km either tomorrow or Sunday as fast as I can.

Comment

saw them in Lidl Bray last week. 2 left at that time. FYI. gl.

Comment

Am I reading that right, you did two sets of 30 Deadlifts with 60kgs on the bar?
                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                    Am I reading that right, you did two sets of 30 Deadlifts with 60kgs on the bar?
                                    All the weights I've listed have included the bar, is this not standard?

So the deadlift was 40kg + 20kg bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                      All the weights I've listed have included the bar, is this not standard?

So the deadlift was 40kg + 20kg bar.
                                      Id say his question is in relation to so many reps.
                                      Why so many reps ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fearbocht View Post
                                        Id say his question is in relation to so many reps.
                                        Why so many reps ?
                                        I don't know, thats what my trainer told me to do. He said to do between 20+30 and I managed 30.

Comment

That's fair enough, if your coach programmed that who am I to argue. In general I'd be opposed to super high rep (or even high rep) Deadlift work as it's not a movement where you can tolerate form breakdown. But stick with your programming.

I'd say your glutes and hams where on fire after those sets though!!

Comment

Week 2 Day 1

Military press

Warm up 12 * bar

5 Sets of 5 30kg

Skullcrushers (not sure of real name)

5 Sets of 5 30kg

Very slow push ups
                                            5 sets of 5

Chest pulls 30 * 2

2.5km run in 10.44

First time doing military press, found it hard at first. Quite happy with the run, felt much more comfortable than last week. Back to the gym tomorrow. Will run 2.5km again this week and aim for under 10m.

Comment

good luck with this, looks like you're progressing steadily!

what i would say is don't be concerned with numbers and weights since you're only starting off, just get good quality reps under your belt and ingrain the movement patterns into your nervous system; that will in itself build your strength..

your numbers seem crazy off. i know you said you find squatting handy, but i've never come across someone whose deadlift is lower than their squat, and also have never whose pull ups and bench are so low relative. concentrate on them, if you fail on 6 pull ups then you'll find 'negatives' of great benefit. also, push ups should be one of your 5 or 6 staple exercises; do them whenever you get a chance.. nice squat though, don't get me wrong

look forward to seeing this thread progress! any questions, just ask!

Comment

I'd definitely look further into the program your trainer gave you. Ask about it on boards or just question him more on it. I'm no expert, but from what I've read I just can't imaging a competent trainer asking his client, who's also a relative beginner, to do 30 reps of 60kgs deadlifts twice after he's also done heavy enough session of squating and deadlifts on the same day. To me it just sounds like a recipe for disaster/injury.

Comment

Originally posted by lowkicker View Post
                                                  your numbers seem crazy off. i know you said you find squatting handy, but i've never come across someone whose deadlift is lower than their squat, and also have never whose pull ups and bench are so low relative. concentrate on them, if you fail on 6 pull ups then you'll find 'negatives' of great benefit. also, push ups should be one of your 5 or 6 staple exercises; do them whenever you get a chance.. nice squat though, don't get me wrong

look forward to seeing this thread progress! any questions, just ask!
                                                  Thanks for the feedback!

I think my numbers make sense if you know my history, I started going to a trainer a few months before christmas last year. Up to that point I had done almost zero upper body exercises since I was 17 (17 years ago!), bar some swimming. I had played football and ran extensively for over 10 years, so I have large strong legs but a very weak upper body. Once I got used to the technique of doing squats I've quite enjoyed it because its something that feels natural to me and also I feel like I'm not a dweeb when doing it.

As for deadlifts, I've never really tried to test how heavy I can lift it, I wouldn't be that surprised to have a one rep max of the same as my squat, I just haven't concentrated on it in the same way I have squats. I find them quite sore on my hands.

My pullups might seem low to you (and they are!) but they seem pretty high to me since before christmas I could manage the grand total of one!

Comment

I'd definitely look further into the program your trainer gave you. Ask about it on boards or just question him more on it. I'm no expert, but from what I've read I just can't imaging a competent trainer asking his client, who's also a relative beginner, to do 30 reps of 60kgs deadlifts twice after he's also done heavy enough session of squating and deadlifts on the same day. To me it just sounds like a recipe for disaster/injury.
                                                    He was there making sure my form didn't suffer. The session up to that point had been pretty easy, for both the deadlifts and the squats I felt I could do more (which is unusual). He is there keeping a good eye on me - I could have done a few more. I think my friend who trains with me stopped on around 25 each time. Having worked with him for quite some time now I trust him implicitly.

Comment

He was there making sure my form didn't suffer. The session up to that point had been pretty easy, for both the deadlifts and the squats I felt I could do more (which is unusual). He is there keeping a good eye on me - I could have done a few more. I think my friend who trains with me stopped on around 25 each time. Having worked with him for quite some time now I trust him implicitly.
                                                      You need to believe in your programming. The most well structured programming in the world will only work as well as the trainee believes in it and follows it. Don't go second guessing your training around the internet. It's working for you, you're hitting it hard so keep grinding away with it.

Comment

Is he there every session? Just because you have worked with him for a long time I wouldn't put 100% trust in a trainer. I'd only do that after doing a lot of research on the advice he is giving me first. Best of luck with it anyway, if you're happy with then that's what matters I suppose.

You need to believe in your programming. The most well structured programming in the world will only work as well as the trainee believes in it and follows it. Don't go second guessing your training around the internet. It's working for you, you're hitting it hard so keep grinding away with it.

This is probably the reason people end up doing retarded shit like this

A trainer isn't some God who knows everything and will never give poor advice. You'd be crazy to take on board everything they say and do it without ever questioning it or doing your own research.

Comment

Is he there every session? Just because you have worked with him for a long time I wouldn't put 100% trust in a trainer.
                                                          I should have said I have come to trust him having worked with him for some time. If he ever asks me to do a squat on top of a large ball I'll refuse!

Anyway, week 2 Day 2

6 Pull ups, failed on the 7th.

3 Different row exercises.

1 Exercise that involved moving a single weight slowly up and down.

More rows and similar exercises.

For some reason anytime I do rows I immediately forget what the exact exercise was and the weights I do. I'll have to bring my phone with me next time.

Squats

Bar * 5
                                                          60kg * 5
                                                          90kg 4 sets of 5

2.5km run 10.25

I was hoping to get under 10 for the run, and started off at a pace to easily beat it but tired badly half way through. I want to get my legs used to running after other exercise so did the run immediately after the squats (very quick warm up first), not sure if this hampered my time or not.

Complete rest day tomorrow, back to the gym on Thursday. My trainer is away so I plan on doing a lot of triathlon focused stuff. 2.5km run in under 10m, a fast 180 meter swim and start thinking about bike training - I find cycling incredibly boring. I also want to find out my deadlift one rep max.

My rough plan for the triathlon is to establish good paces for each section and then slowly increase the length of my sections over the next couple of weeks, coupled with a weekly combined bike/run practice.

I want to beat 1.20 overall, which is going to be tough to do. I've been thinking about how to achieve it. If I can get the swim down to less than 16, the cycle to 38 and the run to 22, that leaves me with 4 mins for transitions! I also have to pray my calves don't give way at any stage.

Comment

Week 2 Day 3

No trainer today.

6 Pullups, completed a 7th one with assistance.

Deadlifts

Warmup 10 * 60
                                                            90*3
                                                            100*3
                                                            110*3
                                                            115*1
                                                            120*1 3 times
                                                            125*1
                                                            130*1
                                                            132.5 *1 Failed.

Squats

80kg 5*5

Pullups 5 Unassisted, did a further 5 with assistance.

Cycled straight to football after and played for an hour. My team mates were unfit, disorganised, selfish and suffered from extremely poor decision making. I don't miss it one bit.

Pretty happy with the deadlifts, everyone I talked to said I should be able to do more than the squat. I felt I could do 132.5 but my body was kind of buckling under the pressure, decided to wait until the trainer was back before pushing any further. I had a friend with me but he isn't an expert. Squat was a piece of piss, I should have done heavier.

Comment

Week 3 Day 1

Taking tomorrow off so got the session in today.

Superset 5 * 5
                                                              Pullups
                                                              Squats 85kg

Squats were fine but only finished the first set of pullups unassisted.

Superset 5*5
                                                              Leg press (can't remember weight)
                                                              Arnie press 15kg on each arm.

To finish
                                                              50 Squats/medicine ball throws
                                                              100 Burpees

I was pretty hungover so this wasn't a pleasant session, felt like dying during the burpees.

Comment

Week 2 Day 3

No trainer today.

6 Pullups, completed a 7th one with assistance.

Deadlifts

Warmup 10 * 60
                                                                90*3
                                                                100*3
                                                                110*3
                                                                115*1
                                                                120*1 3 times
                                                                125*1
                                                                130*1
                                                                132.5 *1 Failed.

Squats

80kg 5*5

Pullups 5 Unassisted, did a further 5 with assistance.

Cycled straight to football after and played for an hour. My team mates were unfit, disorganised, selfish and suffered from extremely poor decision making. I don't miss it one bit.

Pretty happy with the deadlifts, everyone I talked to said I should be able to do more than the squat. I felt I could do 132.5 but my body was kind of buckling under the pressure, decided to wait until the trainer was back before pushing any further. I had a friend with me but he isn't an expert. Squat was a piece of piss, I should have done heavier.
                                                                Have you given up football?

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                  Have you given up football?
                                                                  Still play occasionally, but mostly yes.

Week 3 Day 2

Just me and the trainer so we concentrated on technique. Squats were done with a bench underneath, and with a small rest between each set.

Squats

20*Bar
                                                                  20*40kg
                                                                  15*60kg
                                                                  15*80kg
                                                                  12*90kg
                                                                  8*95kg
                                                                  6*100kg
                                                                  4*105kg
                                                                  4*107.5kg

Leg Press

Similar structure as above, but I've forgotten the weights. I'll check tomorrow what weight I was doing

Very good session, I was covered in sweat by the end of the squats.

Back tomorrow, planning on doing a mini biathlon after, 5km cycle, 2.5km run

Comment

Week 3 Day 3

Warm up

20kg kettlebell swings 20 reps
                                                                    10 pressups
                                                                    5 sets of the above, reducing the pressups each time (finished with 4)

Dumbell Presses

15kg * 5 3 Reps
                                                                    17.5kg * 5 2 Reps

Medicine ball pressups
                                                                    5*5

Bench Press
                                                                    50kg 3*3

5km cycle, resistance level 10 (don't know what this means in real life) 11.4mins
                                                                    Immediate 2.5km run 12mins

Good session. Not too happy with the times at the end, but I have a feeling I set the resistance too high in the cycle.

Comment

Week 3 Day 4

Preacher rows 27.5 kg 5*5

Bicep Curls 15kg 5*5

Tricep overhead press Can't recall weight 5*5

Two other exercises I can't recall.

1 Hour of football.

Checked the leg press and I was doing around 160kg for the leg press.

Tomorrow is a total rest day, going to varnish a bird table and finally put my pull up bar up. Will run on Sunday and then back to the gym monday.

Comment

Nice to have two days off, I also finally got my pullup bar installed. My trainer was telling me last week that he thought that with some work I could compete at competitive squats, I thought he was crazy at the time but I've looked up some recent irish competition results, and in the <75kg the range of weights lifted went from 130 - 180, so its definitely not out of the question. I reckon I would be best of aiming to get under 75kg and compete at that level. Its definitely something I'm interested in doing. Anyone have any experience with anything like that?

Also I've kind of gotten carried away with weightlifting, must remember that the triathlon is getting closer rapidly. Next week I aim to do 3 good runs, a cycle and run combo (10k,2.5k) and at least one good swim.

Comment

Lifters are usually slightly over the upper weight limit, so you are probably spot on for the 75kg division.
                                                                          With some powerlifting specific coaching on technique and proper cycle to build up to it you'd hit some decent numbers on squat/DL.
                                                                          You'd need to hammer the bench press too as all 3 lifts are almost always contested together.

Comment

Lifters are usually slightly over the upper weight limit, so you are probably spot on for the 75kg division.
                                                                            With some powerlifting specific coaching on technique and proper cycle to build up to it you'd hit some decent numbers on squat/DL.
                                                                            You'd need to hammer the bench press too as all 3 lifts are almost always contested together.
                                                                            Thats both encouraging and discouraging. I can't see my bench press (or any exercise using my arms) improving that much. We'll see though.

My old training buddy has moved to london, so I roped in a new guy. He is similar to me, lots of cardio but no weight lifting, basically no upper body strength. He's going to take a little while to get up to speed, so the next few weeks will be relatively easy, loads of met cons etc. I'm going to aim to get there early and get some lifting in.

Week 4 Day 1

Warm up

5 mins of High Plank, Plank with leg kicks, mountain climbers etc

Kettle Bell Swings 10 sets of 10. First 5 16kg, last 5 20kg.

Met con 5 reps
                                                                            20 kb swings 20kg
                                                                            20 Mountain climbers
                                                                            30 Second Plank
                                                                            10 Burpees

Back tomorrow.
                                                                            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 25-03-14, 12:01.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Week 4 Day 2

6 Pullups, failed on the 7th one.

10 Half Pullups, holding in position 1/4 of the way up.

Attempted 6 pullups, barely managed 1.

Warm up

9 Sets of 10 Kettlebell swings 24kg. Last set of 20.

5 * 5 goblin squats.

Started with 24kg, then went to 32kg and 40kg for the last two sets. Found holding the 2 kbs the hardest part of this.

5*5 superset

Leg Press 212kg
                                                                              Goblin Squat with one leg perched behind (not sure of correct name) 24kg

Great workout, I was covered in sweat afterwards.

Going to head into the gym tomorrow myself and do some lifting, a swim and a run/cycle.

Also dug my back garden up today which was surprisingly hard work!
                                                                              Last edited by Hectorjelly; 25-03-14, 20:20.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Short session today. I felt a bit tired after two days in the gym and was happy to take it relatively easy.

Warm up

20 Kettle Bell swings 24kg. Was planning to do more Kettlebell stuff but I realise I hurt my wrist yesterday so decided to leave it at 20.

Leg Press 212kg 5 * 5

2.5km Cycle Resistance 10 (There was no free squat racks so was just doing this to pass the time)

Squat

Bar 10 * 2
                                                                                80kg 5 * 1
                                                                                100kg 5 * 5
                                                                                100kg 1 * 8

Felt really good squatting this weight, even the last set I was in total control. I was on my own so reluctant to put any more weight on.

Pull ups 5 - Felt so weak I didn't even attempt a 6th.

Day off tomorrow.
                                                                                Last edited by Hectorjelly; 26-03-14, 20:52.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Alex Viada

Came across this guy on a thread on Boards. He's an endurance triathlete who is pretty heavily skewed towards strength training. You can see the link to your current training

Alex Viada

In summary:
                                                                                  Ultra Runner/Iron Man shooting for a sub 11 hr Iron Man
                                                                                  Squats 700lbs+ for reps at 100kg-ish bodyweight ... (700lbs = 320kg)
                                                                                  Likes carbs/has visible abs
                                                                                  Vehemently opposes HIIT
                                                                                  I haven;t had a chance to read through it yet, but his website has plenty of articles on training strength & triathlon/endurance together.

(note: The site is co-owned with a female amputee Ironman triathlete, in case you are wondering why there pieces about prostheses & phantom pain)

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Came across this guy on a thread on Boards. He's an endurance triathlete who is pretty heavily skewed towards strength training. You can see the link to your current training

I haven;t had a chance to read through it yet, but his website has plenty of articles on training strength & triathlon/endurance together.

(note: The site is co-owned with a female amputee Ironman triathlete, in case you are wondering why there pieces about prostheses & phantom pain)
                                                                                    That's really interesting thanks for the link. The last week or two I've felt like I might be attempting too many things at once, theres some good info here on how best to merge the two disparate goals.

On a side note I think people who do Ironmans are crazy. I get so bored doing any repetitive activity, the idea of combining extreme boredom with pain is something that does not appeal to me at all. I admire the commitment needed, but its not for me.

I was happy with my squats earlier but I've come to the later conclusion that I was a bit of a pussy earlier. If I want to get my max squat up in 4 weeks time I need to push myself a bit harder - the last set shouldn't be easy for me. Might head down to the gym tomorrow. Similarly with the pull ups, I just realised my progress has plateaued.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      If you are a beginner lifter then the right squat program for you is a linear progression 5 x 5 or 3 x 5. And you just increment the weight each time. Even if it feels easy, you're getting stronger all the time. Eventually you will fail and be unable to continue adding weight and have to switch to an intermediate approach.

Once you get to that stage, the important thing is that your program varies high volume / low intensity sets with low volume / high intensity sets. Here is an example of a squat cycle that intermediate and advanced lifters would make progress on:

Welcome to Mike's Gym! Find out what physical fitness is and how it can help you achieve the fitness lifestyle of your dreams.

And again, whether you felt each session was 'easy' wouldn't matter. By doing all the prescribed work you'd be getting stronger.

Train consistently, train to a proven template, recover well and your squat will go up and up in the long term which should be the goal as it will supplant and aid whatever athletic activities you are engaged in.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Week 4 day4

Squat

Bar * 10* 2
                                                                                        110kg * 5

Superset 10 reps

Squat 80kg * 10
                                                                                        Pushup * 10

Deadlift 70kg * 10 * 3

Pull ups 6, failed on the 7th

360m swim. Forgot my watch so not timed.

Great session, very happy I got through the all the pushups.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Might head down to the gym tomorrow. Similarly with the pull ups, I just realised my progress has plateaued.
                                                                                          Pullups is all about getting in the volume. Get a pullup bar to put in a door frame in your house. Also, if that's your biggest weakness, start doing a few sets as part of your warmup routine.

In a 3 week period I did this metcon twice - 30 full range situp with 15kg db on chest / 20 pullup / 30 snatches / 20 pullup / 30 full range situp 15kg db on chest. The first time I did it I did every pullup with band assistance. In the 2nd round I had to use the green band and even then in singles. 3 weeks later I did all the pullups with no band assistance and more than a minute faster, so IMO it's all about getting in as much volume as possible.

Should also be trying to add weight to them too, even if it's just for singles, doubles or triples.
                                                                                          Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Thanks for the advice Lloyd and Ian, I'm going to incorporate what you said into my plans. I installed a pullup bar in my room last week. Now to get using it!

Rest day today, to the gym on my own tomorrow. If I can get someone to go with me I will video my squat and dead lift.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              I think Lloyd's advice applies pretty much across the board after a plateau. So for pull ups it should be a cycle of high volume / low intensity sets onto low volume / high intensity sets. I was looking into it last week watching various youtube videos.

So for pull ups

High volume 5 sets of 8 reps. Many as you can do up until you fail at which point if you have access to assisted pull up machine lower the weight or if not start doing negatives.

Low volume 5 sets to failure (You may not even be doing one on the last couple of rounds) Do to failure but at the failure point hold for as long as possible. If you want to keep in the low rep range of less than 5 then add weight but I'd guess at this point this isn't a problem.

Opr

Comment

#48
                                                                                                What with the hours going forward and it being mothers day I didn't have time to do anything properly today; just did some pull ups.

I saw someone do a handstand push up on youtube so attempted one this morning. I got myself into the position and tried pushing. No good, couldn't even move an inch. Then I realised I was effectively bench pressing 78kg whilst upside down! Definitely now a long term goal though.

Hopefully will go for a run after work.

I'm going to try weighted pull ups during the week. How do people add the weight? Grip a kettlebell between your legs?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  You can add weight by using a weight belt( your gym might have one?). It's a belt with a chain on it that allows you to hook the chain around a weight plate. Another way is to hold a dumbbell between your legs like so, probably easier than grippin a kettlebell

Another idea to improve break your pleatu for pull-ups is to consider taking a week break from doing them.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I saw someone do a handstand push up on youtube so attempted one this morning. I got myself into the position and tried pushing. No good, couldn't even move an inch. Then I realised I was effectively bench pressing 78kg whilst upside down! Definitely now a long term goal though.
                                                                                                    Yeah handstand pushups are pretty tough. Prob need to be getting close to a military press of 3/4 of bodyweight. Starting at the bottom is a lot harder too.
                                                                                                    If you want to work toward it, you can do easier version and work progressions towards a full HSPU. Handstand holds against the wall, try to work towards 2 minutes. Negative HSPUs where you just lower your self from the top down, then half depth HSPUs, then full depth. Moving on when you can get a few reps of each.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Week 5 Day 1

Squats
                                                                                                      Warmup bar * 10 * 2

100kg 5 * 5
                                                                                                      110kg 3 * 3
                                                                                                      120kg 3 * 1
                                                                                                      120kg 3 * 1 failed.

Bench
                                                                                                      Warm up
                                                                                                      30kg *10
                                                                                                      45kg * 10
                                                                                                      50kg 5*5

Failed on the 5th rep 4th set of 50kg. Took a break and completed the 5th set.

Deadlift

110kg 5x5

Pull ups *6 *5 *2

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        100kg Squats from earlier. Feedback welcome.

I just had an inexperienced friend with me to take the video, from watching the video myself I realise the last two aren't deep enough.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          fair play with this all

Regards the Tri. Buy tri suit ( onesy ) that you wear straight from the ocean/lake/pool to the bike.
                                                                                                          If outside, vaseline on your calves of wetsuit. Practise taking it off when running also.

I used to practise cycling a distance and then dropping the bike and going str8 to running. The jelly legged effect takes awhile to get used to
                                                                                                          Also for the last 1k of the race, put the gears up so that the pedals are flying, this works the lactic acid down
                                                                                                          take your feet out of the clips (presuming your using them) as your finishing also. Takes a lil practise but these smooth transitions really help
                                                                                                          Remember where your bike rack is, tougher when tired!
                                                                                                          I also went foot to runner (no sock) just talc, and if you can get the elastic laces, with like a draw string to tighten.
                                                                                                          Few gel pcks on your belt&bike stocked with water & your flying

Well done on the gym work. Brilliant effort on all, and very decent time you're aiming for for a first tri (my swim was pretty weak also!)

Is it ocean or what? Borrowing a wet suit with buoyancey in the legs (ie a proper swimming one) makes a massive difference.
                                                                                                          Also, a light bike will save 1m+ (as will being aware of the track and route, pre race prep. Which Im sure youll be on top of anyways)

Best of luck with it all!
                                                                                                          GAA News Website

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            100kg Squats from earlier. Feedback welcome.

I just had an inexperienced friend with me to take the video, from watching the video myself I realise the last two aren't deep enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZLdrD4eUVk
                                                                                                            I think your depth could be better across all reps there tbh.

Good news is there is nothing in those reps that look like injury risks imo. I think:

- get tight before you start to unrack. Big breath, core tight, big chest then unrack. Don't look down at your feet then before you squat because you'll lose that tightness;
                                                                                                            - keep pushing those knees out;
                                                                                                            - you need to find better depth;

The first two will become vital when you progress over the com in year and are worth dialling in now. The third is going to require more mobility and focus to correct. A deep upright squat @ X will have better athletic carryover than a ~parallel slightly compromised squat @ Y in terms of athletic carryover, even if Y is decently >> X.

Nothing there that can't be fixed mind, and the effort will be well worth it.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              I think your depth could be better across all reps there tbh.

Good news is there is nothing in those reps that look like injury risks imo. I think:

- get tight before you start to unrack. Big breath, core tight, big chest then unrack. Don't look down at your feet then before you squat because you'll lose that tightness;
                                                                                                              - keep pushing those knees out;
                                                                                                              - you need to find better depth;

The first two will become vital when you progress over the com in year and are worth dialling in now. The third is going to require more mobility and focus to correct. A deep upright squat @ X will have better athletic carryover than a ~parallel slightly compromised squat @ Y in terms of athletic carryover, even if Y is decently >> X.

Nothing there that can't be fixed mind, and the effort will be well worth it.
                                                                                                              Thanks a lot LLoyd.

My right foot has a tendency to swivel right when I'm doing a squat, when I look down its because I'm making sure my feet are in the right position. I'm used to doing them in front of a mirror so its probably pronounced in the video, since there was no mirror. I'll concentrate on looking forward and just being aware of my feet.

The other two comments are something my trainer often says to me, of course as soon as he isn't there I immediately forget them!

My trainer is away this week, so for my next session I'll try and get a large volume in at a low weight and really try and lock in a better technique.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Week 5 Day 2

Squats

Warm up Bar * 10 * 2

100kg 5*5

120kg *1

I had a friend watching and if I didn't go to at least parallel I repeated the squat.

Bench Press

55kg * 5
                                                                                                                50kg 4 * 5

I barely got the first 5, decided 55 was too ambitious.

Superset 10 reps

Leg Press 212kg * 10
                                                                                                                Plank

Back tomorrow, going to do a similar session and also some interval swimming.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Week 5 Day 3

45 Mins spin class
                                                                                                                  2km run (Just under 10mins)

Squats 100kg 5*5

Bench Press 50kg 5*5

Pull Ups 5, 3, 3, 4, 2

Fairly epic workout considering the previous 24 hours. Felt good transitioning between the cycle and run, but my pace wasn't good enough on the run. Squats were very hard, I wavered on the last one and came closer to dropping the weight then ever previously (not that close) Good form and depth though.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Week 6 Day 1

Terrible Terrible Session. Drank too much over the weekend and didn't get enough sleep. Everything felt really hard.

Warm up

Squats 90kg 5 *5
                                                                                                                    Stiff Leg Dead Lift 5 * 12 50kg
                                                                                                                    Superset 5 reps
                                                                                                                    Goblin Squats 24kg * 20
                                                                                                                    Wall Sit

Back today, 5km race tomorrow.

Edit: just found out the triathlon has been cancelled. That's annoying.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 08-04-14, 14:56.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Week 6 Day 2

Warm up - High Plank with various kicks and mountain climbers etc

Bulgarian Bag Swings 20 reps 5 sets
                                                                                                                      Unweighted squats facing a wall

Met Con 5 reps of:

24kg KB swings * 20
                                                                                                                      20 Mountain climbers
                                                                                                                      16kg KB snatch * 10
                                                                                                                      Thrusters with Bulgarian Bag
                                                                                                                      20 Bulgarian Swings

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Week 6 Day 3

Bench Press

50kg * 10 * 5
                                                                                                                        30kg * 10 * 3
                                                                                                                        25kg *10 * 2

70 Burpees

Short session as I was pressed for time. Back to normal training next week once all the norwegians set sail.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X