V4V 2013 body comp log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bodybuilder View Post
    Running will give you more bang for your buck mate.
    No thanks. Sprints only. Walking is recovery for body and soul.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

2 training sessions and ~6 hours of walking. Busy times. Training is brutally hard though to make up for the lack of volume! Food is fine a bit less IF this week at 4/7 and a bit of tweaking re some carbs immediately after training to see what impact that has. It feels good so far.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
        No thanks. Sprints only. Walking is recovery for body and soul.
        Is that eight hours in the week or an eight hour session?

I manage a 40 minute walk most working days but I just don't have the time for the long walks. We have been planning to walk the Barrow line for 18 months now but can't find the time.
        I've been running a good bit lately, having finished the c25k I have just been upping the distance bit by bit and I'm up to 9K at sub 10k/ hour pace.
        Mostly though I'm enjoying it in a way I never did before so I'm happy to keep it up as long as its not hurting me. Also finding it very good to clear the mind of all the shit I'm dealing with at the moment in a way that walking kind of lets you dwell on.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          Is that eight hours in the week or an eight hour session?
          It's over the course of the week. During the summer I was managing 10 + hours easily. 1/2 hour before work, 1/2 hour at lunch when I could. 90 minutes in the evening. 5 hours at the weekend.

Now with rain etc it's not as straightforward plus I have lectures eating into my evenings and weekends.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          I manage a 40 minute walk most working days but I just don't have the time for the long walks. We have been planning to walk the Barrow line for 18 months now but can't find the time.
          I've been running a good bit lately, having finished the c25k I have just been upping the distance bit by bit and I'm up to 9K at sub 10k/ hour pace.
          Mostly though I'm enjoying it in a way I never did before so I'm happy to keep it up as long as its not hurting me. Also finding it very good to clear the mind of all the shit I'm dealing with at the moment in a way that walking kind of lets you dwell on.

It really depends on your overall goals and how your body reacts doesn't it.

I'd personally be against the idea of long sessions of strenuous cardio in general. This article would be a good summary of my views.

Walking, slow cycling or rowing at a comfortable pace would be more my cup of tea.

My goal is to put on lean muscle mass and gain strength and walking aids my bodies recovery from a hard strength or sprint session and therefore helps to maximise the benefits I get from each session so it suits me.

I find a hard strength session leaves no room for thinking about anything else and when walking I prefer to go without headphones and be present in the environment as much as possible mentally. But you do obviously reflect on things as well and if you don't want that then obviously that's a potential downside to walking. I love that bit but life is mainly good at the minute. Maybe walking with some company might help alleviate that.

My Dad is doing quite a bit of running and would be managing ~10k * 3 times a week now that he's down at ~14 stone. But the downside of it is that he'd still be carrying a high enough percentage of fat, and as he no longer works as hard physically his muscles have wasted down quite a bit from where he was before. His bf% would still be ~30% I'd say even after dropping 7 stone over the last 3.5 years. He probably feels like that's natural at his age but he could resist it to a much greater degree from what I've seen if he was willing to move back towards a body weight session 2-3 times a week.

I don't try to dissuade him though as he really enjoys his running as it's very social and he's in a million miles better place physically then he was 5 years ago, so why let perfect be the enemy of good.

Here's what I'm aiming for at age 60. As Anthony Hopkins character says in that cracking little movie The Edge, "What one man can do, another man can do"

Last edited by V for Vendetta; 21-10-13, 11:36.

Comment

I find a hard strength session leaves no room for thinking about anything else
            Thats exacly what I'm after at the moment and running with music and an app keeping my pace is just perfect tbh
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

3 * training sessions. 6+ hours walking. 3 IF days. 3.4% bf drop in 7 weeks according to Biosig. Pushing for 4% more between now and year end. Slowly slowly catchy monkey....

Comment

3 * training sessions. 8+ hours walking. 4 IF days.

Comment

3 * training sessions. 6 hours walking. 3 IF days.

Comment

Wiped last week. I had a cold of some sort and while it didn't stop me doing my normal day to day stuff my Thursday class and in particular the PT session on Saturday were very weak.

I also struggled to get my walking in.

So 1.5 * Training, 3 hours walking and 4/7 IF days just because I wasn't feeling hungry.

The positive thing is that in the past I'd probably have been wiped out for the week with man flu and instead I was able to stay going if unfortunately not train very well.

I was actually gutted on Saturday about not being able to train properly I think I'm addicted....

Comment

4 * Training sessions. 5 hours of walking. 3 * IF days but the eating situation is very fluid at the minute. I'm probably going to stop tracking this as it's become meaningless.

I'm training harder and heavier now so I'm concentrating on getting plenty of protein in and lots of good fats and variety and letting the food timing look after itself. Eat when I'm hungry sort of thing. I try to have a specific carb portion directly after training along with protein (eggs and bacon during the week or liver/kidneys and veg with cream and wholegrain mustard at the weekend).

The food quality is high and the supplementation with Vit D, omega 3, zinc and magnesium continues and seems to quite effective as I'd definitely notice even small drops in food quality or missing supplements for anything more than two days in a row. Some people might think it's in my head and maybe they're right but it certainly works for me anyway...

I have a good few holiday days to take in December so I'm going to really push to try and get 2-3% more bf knocked off before the DXA scan in January.

Comment

Chipping away. 3 * training sessions, 3 hours walking and a decent week of eating.

I did a lot of sprints at Thursday's class which left me in a bad way on Friday as my lower calves are still a weak point (my upper calves look like they are about to pop at times and this puts strain on the lower calf) but hopefully this kind of thing will strengthen that area over time. Lot's of foam rolling, and working with a tennis ball and sliotar helps....

Comment

4 * Training sessions. 4 hours walking. 2 * IF days

Slow progress at the minute. I'm undermining myself by eating a little bit too much due to numerous social eating occasions happening and by going a little bit off beam with paleo ice-cream and a lot of dark chocolate etc. and assuming that I'll out train the "off-piste" eating.

I'm also not getting out walking enough and still eating like I'm going to do 10 hours a week and as a result I've only dropped 0.5% bf in the last 3 weeks as a result.

I've got a chunk of time off coming and the training is going very well so I'll just rein in my indulgences and keep the foods as clean as possible. Last few weeks to hit the 2013 target....I reckon I'm circa 20% bf at the minute. I'm 16.6% by calipers but the DXA scan in January will be the accurate measure.

I also got some gym rings for my pull up bar in the house and need to start using them a bit more....a killer on the arms and back but great fun.

Comment

I'm going to finish out this log for 2013 but not bother with it in 2014 once the results come in. It was useful at the start when I was working on my own to keep myself honest and accountable but at the minute working with Paul I really don't need it. I met the guy who recommended Paul to me last night and he was laughing at how much leaner my face is since we last spoke in September.

Anyway 3 good training sessions last week and 5+ hours of walking. The food was a little poor due to the season that's in it. Good eat out options still can't compare to preparing it yourself. The sleep has also suffered a bit with so much going on. It can be hard to fit in the 8 hours of quality shut eye and less napping options these days.....

Comment

Last post

I probably should have started a log 12 months ago but instead I've been posting in the BBV, in other people's logs and in the Health and fitness thread as the mood struck me.

I don't apologise for it because I got great help and support from everybody but I should know better. Thanks for the patience folks and nobody told me to fuck off which was very decent of you all.

I'm not really posting here for comment but more so to keep myself accountable to what is a much harder goal to track then simple weight loss. I of course welcome comments but that's not the reason for the thread.

My health and fitness goal is as follows;

To improve my body composition over time for the truly long term, in a manner I can sustain within my overall lifestyle, and without putting myself at excessive risk of injury.

I shared my primary health and fitness goal for 2013 in the health and fitness thread on 10.01.2013.

I have specific physical targets and challenges set out in my mind as markers for myself but they are just markers the body fat scans are the true test and the primary goal for 2013.

I'm not a fan of weighing or measuring food, or stressing about my diet or training program. My approach is to listen to my body and to try to adapt long term habits and behaviours that are both productive and sustainable for me and my body/mind. I couldn't manage a food log for more then a week or stick to a program for more then a few days as life gets in the way so I have to do what will work for me.

Since the post above, I've gotten back to a pretty strictly primal diet except I'm probably overeating dark chocolate in the evenings. My average carb intake is not at the lowest it's ever been (one meal a day seems to have a carb portion at the minute) but it's improving. For example I had sweet potato yesterday and I'll be having a banana today. But by keeping conscious of it I am keeping it relatively low and making informed choices coupled with trying to have those carbs post training sessions.

I'm occasionally doing 16 hour intermittent fasting on days I'm not feeling hungry in the mornings (typically not training days).

The IF isn't planned but since I've brought these back in I feel a good bit sharper and less like I'm overeating which I have felt somewhat since I started back working with the structure that puts on my day and my eating habits/social situations.

When I wasn't working I tended to have a large brunch or a large meal in the evening and some smaller meals around those and I was straying into IF without really noticing. I've needed to bring this back in consciously as I felt I was unconsciously overeating when not particularly hungry due to portion sizes outside of my control and because I was concerned about slumping at a time when I couldn't eat food.

My exercise consists of ~5 hours of walking/hiking per week. 1 or 2 short swim sessions a week to stretch the body out after a hard session and 3 bodyweight strength/HIIT type sessions per week. The workout sessions have gotten stronger over the last few weeks and I'm beginning to get into a steady training rhythm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Unfortunately I'm spending ~50+ hours a week sitting in the office and ~15 hours at home watching sport/tv per week. I try to spend time standing up watching tv ironing etc but I've been a bit lazy about it. This is an area I need to address as much as possible as this can add a lot to the party in an imperceptible way.

Anyway since the 10th of January my weight has gone up to 91.6 kilos. My body looks and feel stronger/tighter so I'm not complaining but it's weird to see the scales go up after the relentless push down in 2012.

My plan is to keep going until June/July and then have another scan done to check on progress.

My intention is to try and do an update here once a week as a log and to keep myself honest.

So I had another scan. My muscle weight has gone up a small bit but no change in bf%.

Unfortunately its clear that I'm eating at a maintenance level and not with a calorie deficit. I'm a bit disappointed obviously but I'm glad I had the scan as it would have been very easy not to go ahead with it as I had a sinking feeling that the results weren't going to be great.....I'm stronger and more flexible and I feel I'm making progress fitness wise, but the reality is that I've plateaued on the bf% front and dropping bf is my fitness goal for the year.

I'm eating all the right things I feel but all the easy gains from eating correctly and with a calorie deficit for 18 stone me have now been eroded. I'm going to have to get focused on the diet side of things again.

The gas thing is people are always telling me not to get any thinner and that I'm looking well etc. etc. The reality is I'm still miles away from my hoped for end point. It's scary how incorrect our perception can be due to the rising obesity all around us.
                              I'm going to finish out this log for 2013 but not bother with it in 2014 once the results come in. It was useful at the start when I was working on my own to keep myself honest and accountable but at the minute working with Paul I really don't need it. I met the guy who recommended Paul to me last night and he was laughing at how much leaner my face is since we last spoke in September.
                              2013 Results

Right so Christmas wasn't great in terms of training and then I picked up a pretty bad cold which knocked me out of action for over a week. So I took a few weeks to ease myself back into my pre Christmas shape before booking in for a scan today. I'm at my leanest and sharpest that I've been at since this journey began as measured visually, by physical performance and how I feel. So no excuses.

Unfortunately, UCD no longer allow a Dexa scan without a GP or radiologist referral letter. Damn Health and Safety party poopers!! So I had a Bodpod scan done. Romain feels it's pretty accurate to within 1% having cross checked it versus the Dexa on a few clients. Plus it's a bit cheaper.

My bf% today is 23.3% which represents a 3.3kg fat loss since July 2013 and a 1.3kg muscle increase. My goal for 2013 was 17% from 27% but given the poor nil performance in the first 6 months of the year I'd have been happy to get 20% so I fell quite a bit short of even that more modest goal. My bf% as measured by callipers by my trainer who is pretty experienced and consistent with callipers is 16.5% so make what you will of that....

I'm not disappointed as that would be childish and churlish but I'm realising how fucking hard this thing is and how committed you need to be to reach really big goals like this. For those of you making progress on your own goals I guess the point is you need to celebrate and take satisfaction from the wins along the way because hitting really big milestones takes a lot of time and effort.

I'm currently in the best shape of my life since I was 19 years of age and loving this journey but it's not the only journey of improvement I'm pursuing.

The reality is that physical fitness and achieving a truly healthy peak takes a lot of commitment between eating optimally at all times (correctly for both your particular genetics and your training goals) along with optimising every workout both in terms of preparation beforehand (good sleep and proper nutrition the night before), during the workout (pushing yourself correctly into pain without injury) and recovering correctly afterwards (proper nutrition, stretching, sleep etc.). My commitment to my fitness goals just slipped down my priority order in 2013. It never went away it just didn't dominate like it did 18 months ago.

The trend is going the right way, I'm working with a great bunch of people who are pushing me along and I'll get pretty close over the next few years to what I consider achievable, but it'll take a lot longer than I initially hoped and I may have to accept that I won't get all the way without dedicating myself to fitness goals in a way that impacts the rest of my life too much for me.

Thanks to everyone who supported me on this log and those who've encouraged either via pm or IRL. I'm going to wrap it up here as I no longer need a log to keep me honest in terms of my consistency at training and the nutrition side of things is something I just have to keep making good decisions with every day on my own.

So here's to sub 17% bf by this time next year!!

Comment

Really good read Olly fair play not seen you since two years ago at that rugby night in Harcourt street.
                                I agree when people say your fine dont lose any more weight fat people are everywhere.
                                Size 16 is seen as normal for women.
                                An explosion of problems relating to excess weight is just around the corner.

Comment

Working...
                                X