Optimum raising amount??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimum raising amount??

Any ideas on what is a good percentage of blinds to raise in tournaments??
    Is there an ideal amount were you don't become pot committed ??
    Thanks

Originally posted by Quad 9's View Post
    Any ideas on what is a good percentage of blinds to raise in tournaments??
    Is there an ideal amount were you don't become pot committed ??
    Thanks
    A quick attempt at a serious answer

It's a very open question dependent on a lot of factors. Your stack, opponents stack, bubble, etc etc
    a quick rule of thumb is 2.5x BB plus another for every limper. The idea being that your hand strength is disguised. Use the same raise no matter what the hand.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Junk replies deleted

Lads, please keep the replies as helpful or useful or dont bother hitting the reply button

Comment

I like to raise x2 except on the button where i do x3 but as the tournament goes deeper you have to make changes. short answer to an not so simple question

Comment

Originally posted by sevenfoursuited View Post
          I like to raise x2 except on the button where i do x3 but as the tournament goes deeper you have to make changes. short answer to an not so simple question
          If you are going to adjust your raise size for different positions, you should do the opposite of this! Your raises should smaller from the button, not bigger.

Comment

There is a school of thought at the moment FD that is saying raising more on the button in cash games is optimal. The players who are following what Pokersnowie (GTO software) tells them 3.5x the button and min raise from every other position. I'm still dubious but it will be interesting to see how it pans out over big sample sizes.
            Last edited by ikilldurrr1; 13-12-13, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by ikilldurrr1 View Post
              There is a school of thought at the moment FD that is saying raising more on the button in cash games is optimal. The players who are following what Pokersnowie (GTO software) tells them 3.5x the button and min raise from every other position. I'm still dubious but it will be interesting to see how it pans out over big sample sizes.
              Bill Chen, a very maths based player, is a proponent of this. Basic reasoning is that you get more in pre in position.

Comment

Originally posted by ikilldurrr1 View Post
                Yeah, my default would be tournament when we wont be always 100bb deep and wasn't even thinking cash game. Would imagine it would be extremely exploitable in tournaments

Comment

Hi Flushdraw....I don't adjust my raises I use x2 in all positions except the button.
                  im new to the game so you will have to forgive my lack of experience.

Comment

Thanks for the replies , just trying to figure out people's thoughts on it, I am still fairly new to the game and trying to improve.
                    Gonna try the 2x in very position with the 3.5x in the button ..
                    See what happens ..

Comment

Thanks for the replies , just trying to figure out people's thoughts on it, I am still fairly new to the game and trying to improve.
                      See what happens ..

Just saw this now. Going by your OP this is for Tournament play?
                      Without going into a big spiel, don't do the above, do whats below. Far better starting point.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      A quick attempt at a serious answer

It's a very open question dependent on a lot of factors. Your stack, opponents stack, bubble, etc etc
                      a quick rule of thumb is 2.5x BB plus another for every limper. The idea being that your hand strength is disguised. Use the same raise no matter what the hand.

Comment

See what happens ..
                        If you are going to alternate raise sizes based on positions then you should have your smallest raise size on the button as you will be raising this spot as a steal more often and want to give yourself the best price by making your raise smaller. Opening bigger in early position is fine because you will have a stronger range of hands and it builds the pot more but I wouldn't go over 3x as you will struggle to get action from worse hands.

Comment

Hi Brian, I am going to try using your suggestion in my game also.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianN View Post
                            If you are going to alternate raise sizes based on positions then you should have your smallest raise size on the button as you will be raising this spot as a steal more often and want to give yourself the best price by making your raise smaller. Opening bigger in early position is fine because you will have a stronger range of hands and it builds the pot more but I wouldn't go over 3x as you will struggle to get action from worse hands.
                            wouldnt this become transparent and exploitable in a very short period of time?
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

In cash I min raise when I open and 5x +1bb for every limper. Will also open up to 5x if there is a fish in the blinds.

Comment

How would you exploit it?

Comment

I suppose it can be, depending on stack sizes and who your opponents are.I personally don't change my raise sizes in tournaments based on position but sometimes do based on stack sizes. In cash games I will open a wide range on the button with a min raise if folded to me as I am always playing the pot in position which leads to easier decisions than being out of position. I wouldn't want to min raise other positions to encourage players to play me in position. I think my strategy works well for new players as it keep things simple when most of your hands are played in position. I only really mentioned it because the op was talking about raising bigger on the button than anywhere else as I think that just discourages players from playing pots with you when you have the edge of position.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    How would you exploit it?
                                    Anyone paying attention can 3bet lighter from Buttons open for one.
                                    Calling in position with the larger open from early position enables you to be in control of a bloated pot.

I don't like it tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                    X