Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bet out of turn. Tournament ruling.

Hi Guys.
    Played a tournament last night in a small card club.

This spot came up.

The flop is dealt.
    Player A bets 300
    I re raise to 800. But i have bet out of turn.
    Player B has yet to act. The dealer makes an odd ruling (imo). So we call the TD.

TD rules that Player Bs options are
    call the 300
    fold
    raise to whatever
    or match my 800 and my bet will stand.

Player B decides to flat the 300 bet.
    Now the extra 500 of my bet is returned to my stack and for the rest of the hand I am frozen. ie I cannot bet but can only call all the way to the river.

lol i was sitting there with the nuts and couldn't bet.

I believe that the ruling that the t.d enforced was in relation to someone exposing their cards (which didn't happen).

I let it go after making a minor protest. I chatted with the TD afterwards and we agreed I would post here for advice.

Originally posted by islander32 View Post
    TD rules that Player Bs options are
    call the 300
    fold
    raise to whatever
    or match my 800 and my bet will stand.

Player B decides to flat the 300 bet.
    Now the extra 500 of my bet is returned to my stack and for the rest of the hand I am frozen. ie I cannot bet but can only call all the way to the river.
    This is such a bad lol ruling

Player B has all his options (matching your 800 has no bearing on you)
    If he folds/flats the 300, your 800 raise (not re-raise ) stands. If he chooses to raise, then you get your 800 back and have your options. I'm pretty sure that's what happens.

When he flats, giving you your 500 back and only allowing you to call is just one of the most stupid rulings i've ever heard.

Comment

Exactly as FD says, that ruling is bizarre

Comment

Tony is 110% correct.
        Solution: Dont play there anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
          Tony is 110% correct.
          Solution: Dont play there anymore
          To be fair Damo. This is a fairly new card club. They're nice aul nordie skins that have taken over the place. They have a lot going for them.eg
          Nice Card Room.
          Friendly staff.
          At least one hot dealer.
          Tremendous hospitality. (someone is over to the tables at least every 10mins to see if everyone is alright for a beer or a coffee or a sambo etc.)

It's a really well run club and I think they just need to brush up on some stuff with rulings etc.

The T.D I believe is open to correcting mistakes if he has made them (which he obviously has in this instance).

Does anyone have a link to a set of rules for Tournament Directors or maybe someone might have a copy they could e.mail me so I can forward it to the lads?

Comment

plenty of resources online. pokertda.com is a good place for the variations of tournament standards. its not the be all and end all of poker though, but a good place to start.

Comment

http://www.pokertda.com/poker-tda-rules/

Comment

What Tony says is correct for "most" tournaments you play in but not all as some card clubs have their own ruling on this.

Some clubs rule chips put in remain in even if the action changes and I don't totally disagree with this ruling as there are players who angle shoot & deliberately play out of turn.

It is up to all players to keep alert with what is going on at all times.

The above ruling is stupid imo and only applies if cards were exposed.

Comment

Working...
                X