New Challenge! 19 weeks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Challenge! 19 weeks.

Ok so I'm back in Ireland for nearly 20 weeks after my 7 months in 'Nam.

I have dont literally no gym work over in 'Nam but did live a fairly active lifestyle. I drank a lot too however.

Anyway, with these 19 weeks I've decided to set myself a few goals.

Sub 12% Bodyfat

Squat 1.5x Bodyweight
    Deadlift 2x Bodyweight
    Bench Bodyweight.
    100 push ups in one set.
    30 Pull ups
    1 clean Muscle up.

I have a few things going for me,and a few things going against me. Firstly, I cant even run 2miles with out stopping at the moment such is my lack of cardio fitness and while this doesnt matter for weightlifting considering I used to be able to run 7.5 miles at a very decent pace Im using that as a barometer for my overall decline.

An advantage is I've hit most of these goals before the squat, bench, pull ups and push ups have been done in the past. Never managed the 2x Deadlift or the muscle up for a few reasons.

I was going to try get action on this but I suspect Id find it hard to drum it up so after taking some advice Ill just make it a personal goal.

Starting tomorrow Im going to follow starting strength and watch my calories for 10 days and see where I am before I decided to either go on a straight cut first then bulk for strength then cut for final goal making, or do it the other way around. I'll have a much better idea of where I stand after the 10 days anyway.

Wish me luck! Ill be posting here with workouts, meals, thoughts etc etc as much as I can.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Diet consists of lots of fat, lots of protein, minimal carbs.

For example:

Brekkie: 2 Eggs, 3 Slices Bacon, Cup Coffee.

Lunch: 1 1/2 grilled chicken breast, broccoli, capsicums, garlic, chilli, onions, some rocket/iceberg lettuce added after.

Dinner: Steak/Salmon/Tuna Steak/Other meat. With some root veggies like carrots, peas. Spices to taste.

Pre and post workout meals will usually involve protein shake and small amount of carbs.

Thats the usual stuff. Changes obv depending on how Im feeling, portion sizes and carbs will obv be tailored if Im feeling I need it.

Off to Gym now. Gonna go right back to the start, expect to progress pretty fast given muscle memory but starting off at the beginning and nailing the form is important so I'll build it progressively workout on workout until I stall and then drop 10% and rebuild. Day on Day off. The usual.

First workout will consist of.

Squat 60KG 5x5
    Deadlift 80kg 1x5
    Bench 50KG 5x5
    Shoulder press 30kg 5x5
    Pull ups 3x5
    Dips 3x8

First two goals Im gonna try it are 100 push ups and 30 pull ups. Before the end of September.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

30 pull ups in one go? Fair play and good luck with it!

Comment

this was Steve before he went to Vietnam

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
          30 pull ups in one go? Fair play and good luck with it!
          Yeah. I think itll be a challenge but doable.

When in Oz I was doing sets of 8-10 with 10kg-15kg attached so Ive been to a certain level with them before.

Aim high I guess.

Comment

Back and that workout was good.

Good to settle back in. Nothing too challenging. The pull-ups were difficult and failed on last set as I stupidly decided to do them after both shoulder press and dips with no rest as was in a rush.

Might him them first next time.

Comment

a2g?

Comment

Defo below parallel, most likely A2G, couldnt go any lower.

Comment

Best of luck with this.

Quick question what is your current bodyweight??

Comment

77kg. Thereabouts.

Comment

Right Right. Gym in the morning and Im pretty excited, wanna get back to the old level of strength as quickly as possible please.

Also, just thinking back over my last workout and I deadlifted 90kg 1x5 by accident.

Tomorrow then:

Squat 65kg 5x5
                      Bench 52.5kg 5x5
                      Power Clean 40kg 5x5

Pull ups 3x failure
                      Dips 3x6

I'll do some core work, foam rolling too.

Diet has been decent so far, still weaning myself off the bread, still have some carb cravings but getting better. Slowly but surely.

Comment

Back just there.

That was fine. Not as easy as first day back, reckon the doms and being out for a while meant recovery wasnt as fast. No gym work over the weekend. Maybe a light run on Sunday.

Back to it on Monday.

Comment

Good luck with thus.
                          I've been travelling the US a few weeks. Did a bit of BW stuff, but reckon I'll have a decent fall off in strength under a barbell.
                          7 months must be a decent drop for on you. But it'll come back quick.

Hardest goal out of those for me would be pull ups.

Comment

Gym time:

Squat 70kg.
                            Bench 55kg
                            Deadlift 95kg
                            Shoulder Press 32.5kg.

Pull ups 3x6
                            Dips 3x7
                            Push ups, 3xF

Comment

Yeah that was fine.

Sailed through them all. Actually did 35kg on the Shoulder Press.

Comment

Best of luck. 30 pull ups is sick.

Just wondering is 5 x 5 the best way to exercise?

And what type of shakes do you take? How often etc?
                                If you're not in, you can't win

Comment

Not really any best way, it depends on what you want.

Picking a programme that aligns with your goals and sticking to it, until the end is whats important. Im doing 5x5 because Ive been out for a long time and want to get some base strength back. In 6 weeks, Ill move onto something else (depending on progression).

I have one protein shake a day, usually after a workout. Get everything else I need from real food and only if I feel I need some extra protein for recovery will I grab another shake.

Comment

Steve. Get your hands on some of these.
                                    SPOILER

That hurt, 50m with each starting from heavy to empty. Will be like a gazelle tomorrow.

Comment

Just back from gym.

Squat 75kg 5x5
                                      Bench 60kg 5x5 ( I actually thought this was 57.5, grabbed the wrong size plate)
                                      Hang Clean 40 1x5 *Abandoned* My form was terrible. Pretty annoyed.

Pull Ups 3x7
                                      Dips 3x8
                                      Bent Over Dumbell Row. 25kg 5x5 -Barbell was busy.
                                      Curl 22.5kg 3x8

Annoyed with Hang Cleans. Seems Im just pulling the bar up and dropping into a front squat, so not really getting anything out of it through the hips. No extension and no actual pop. Silly. Will study this a bit more and maybe get a bit of coaching on it. Bent over Rows made up for it a small bit.

Comment

Good day today.

Squat 80 5x5
                                        Bench 62.5 5x5
                                        Deadlift 100 1x5

Pull ups 3x8
                                        Shoulder Press 37.5kg 5x5
                                        Dips 1x9, 2x7 - Failed here was supposed to do 3x9. Probably fatigue. Will try again on Mon.

Did some core and bicep work to finish.

Gonna start reducing the progression on the squat to 2.5kg per day as opposed to 5kg. Everything else the progression is fine but the squat I'm finding is slowing, bar speed is meh. I might even do 5kg from friday to monday and 2.5kg Wed and Fri. Leaving me two days recovery before a bigger increase.

Also, Weight this morning was 75KG down from 76.5kg when I started. Weight taken first thing in morning.

Comment

The way you call peppers capsicums tilts me beyond belief!

Comment

lol capsicums are peppers, Threresa you moron, back to Vietnam with your capsicums
                                            Last edited by smoothcall; 07-09-12, 16:39. Reason: bit OTT in rereading

Comment

Reckon the two of ye should start eating more capsicums and less fuckin mars bars!

Comment

you mean capri suns?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                  Reckon the two of ye should start eating more capsicums and less fuckin mars bars!
                                                  Capsicum off it man!

Comment

Lol I call them capsicums too.
                                                    Less of your vague shit with peppers

Comment

Went gym on Sat, hopped on the bike for 15k, Rowing Machine sprints with a mate 3x 500m and then some core work.

Today back to the plan:

Squat 85kg
                                                      Bench 67.5kg
                                                      Bent Over Row 60kg

Pull ups 3x9
                                                      Dips 3x9
                                                      Will do some chin ups and other pull up/shoulder work with an eye to 30 pulls ups at end of month.
                                                      Push ups 3xF
                                                      2x500m sprints on Rowing Machine to finish.

Cut all wheats and grains out of my diet too starting from today.

Comment

First Meh session.

Squat was good, good depth. Bench was fine. Rows were fine.

Pull ups I had nothing in the tank. Nothing. Did some negatives though to at least get something done. I reckon it was the Rows, not back used to them yet. Will go again next time.

Dips were fine. Did some other shoulder/back work after failing the pull ups hoping it'll help the next day. Push ups were fine, and then was shattered so didnt do the sprints.

Will head down tomorrow for a swim and sprint work.

Comment

Ok so prob won't have time to fill this in tomorrow:

2 weeks in. Will get a weight in the morning. I was at the gym today and did some cardio on the bike for 15mins, then rowing maching for 3k, some core work, stretching and foam rolling and then in for a swim of 5x2 lengths.

Everything going well so far although I've decided to switch some stuff to help me get the most out of the programme. I'm gonna delay aiming for the pull up goal until the end of October. I don't think its doable in Sept tbh, as long as I have it done before Jan 6th or so Im happy though.

Tomorrow will be:

Squat 87.5kg 5x5
                                                          Bench 70kg 5x5
                                                          Deadlift 105kg 1x5

Dips 3x10
                                                          Push ups 3xF
                                                          Curls 32.5kg 3x8

I wont do any pull ups or shoulder work tomorrow. Felt fatigued the last day and today wouldnt have helped so will bounce back there on Friday.

Comment

Another meh session.

Failed on the last rep of the bench and got a nice bruise for my troubles. Pinged the bar off my chest where my headphones were sitting on the first rep. Prob added to me failing the last rep.

Progression is slowing which is to be expected with the deficit and BW.

Should bench BW on the cut part of my cycle though in the next 4 weeks so thats one thing to mark off.

Comment

What height/weight are you dude?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                What height/weight are you dude?
                                                                5'9''- ish.

75-76kg.

Comment

5'9''- ish.

75-76kg.

What is this ish!?

Comment

Gym today!

Weighed myself this morning and just broke 75kg. Slow and steady!

Just taken delivery of my new bag of mint choc whey too! Delighted!

Today:

Squat 90kg 5x5
                                                                    Bench 70kg 5x5
                                                                    Bent Over Row 62.5kg 5x5

Pull ups 3x10
                                                                    Chin ups 3x5
                                                                    Rowing Machine sprints
                                                                    Maybe a swim depending on time!

Comment

Right last day was weird.

Got down, couldnt squat as had a slight strain from soccer on wed. So didnt. Then couldnt even bust out one set on the bench. Thought it might be my warm up so went and did a bit of rowing machine to get warmed up and couldnt even do that.

Very strange. Decided to just go home. Rested for the weekend, had a cheat meal and said Id see Monday.

So back at it today. Workout same as above

Comment

Smashed it.

Gonna start increasing all lifts bar DL by 2.5kg or less now. Progress slowing. Maybe even going to twice a week might be an idea if it keeps happening.

Comment

Couldnt get down yesterday or Wednesday and played some soccer in between so wouldn't have been much use anyway.

Today:

Squat 92.5
                                                                          Bench 72.5
                                                                          Deadlift 110
                                                                          Shoulder Press 45kg

Pull Ups 3x11
                                                                          Dips 3x12

Will start adding weight to dips and pull ups pretty soon.

Comment

Great session yesterday.

Decided to drop back to 2 weights sessions a week because a) making better progress with more rest, b) Have quite a bit of team sports training during the week and c) weight loss is hindering recoverys for 3 heavy sessions.

So yesterday:

Squat:
                                                                            60kg x5
                                                                            70kg x4
                                                                            80g x3
                                                                            85kg x2
                                                                            100kg x3
                                                                            90kg 5x5

Was pretty sweet, didnt realise I had racked 100kg til after I put the bar back, was going to just do 1 but didnt feel too bad.

Bench:
                                                                            40kg x5
                                                                            50kgx4
                                                                            60kgx3
                                                                            65kgx2
                                                                            67.5kg 5x5

Having stalled on bench a few times lately dropped back to 65 last session and building again. Feels more solid. Will see on Friday how 70 is again.

Deadlift:

60kg x5
                                                                            70kg x4
                                                                            80kg x3
                                                                            90kg x2
                                                                            110 kg x1
                                                                            115kg x5

Sweet. Very happy with that so far.

Dips +5kg
                                                                            2x10
                                                                            1x7

Pull ups
                                                                            1x17
                                                                            +5kg
                                                                            2x3

Ended with a super set of

Incline Bench 50kg
                                                                            Bent Over Row 65kg
                                                                            Curls 30kg
                                                                            3x5

Decent session. Resting now from weights til Friday. Weigh myself thurs but by the looks of things bodyfat is coming off. Quite happy. Looking forward to Oct 15th when I plan on upping the calories and bulking for 6 weeks.

Comment

#39
                                                                              4 weeks in:

Weight this morning was 73.5 kg.

2 weeks left in this current programme and then gonna try something completely different.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Gym yesterday:

Squat:
                                                                                60kgx5
                                                                                70kgx4
                                                                                75kgx3
                                                                                80kgx2
                                                                                90kgx1
                                                                                92.5kg 5x5

Bench:
                                                                                50kg x5
                                                                                55kg x4
                                                                                60kg x3
                                                                                65kgx2
                                                                                67.5kg x1
                                                                                70kg 5x5

Deadlift:
                                                                                80kgx5
                                                                                85kgx4
                                                                                90kgx3
                                                                                100kgx2
                                                                                110kgx1
                                                                                117.5kg 5x5

Dips +10kg 3x8
                                                                                Pull ups +5kg 3x5
                                                                                Pull ups bodyweight 1xF

Core Work to finish.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Gym Today:

Squat 95kg 5x5 (usual warm up)
                                                                                  Bench 74.5kg ( Bodyweight... GOAL achieved)
                                                                                  Shoulder Press 45kg 5x5

Tried the pull up challenge, got to 19. Still a bit off.
                                                                                  Dips with 10kg 3x8.

Wrecked so went home.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Shit week with getting a bit of a knee injury and overdoing the cardio.

Back in Gym today though and had a good session. Benched 75kg so just over BW Bench now. Sorted. Knee should be ok in two or three days and back to it.

Final weight of this cycle on Monday. Will post up here then.

New Progamme from Monday on.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      How much time do you rest between sets when doing squats?
                                                                                      If you're in the gym on your own do you just ask someone to spot you for the bench sets?

Comment

#44
                                                                                        As long as I need 2 mins or so usually. Little bit shorter maybe.

Yeah will ask. Havent needed to so far as pretty steady bar speed but its always way easier with a spotter. Confidence.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          As long as I need 2 mins or so usually. Little bit shorter maybe.

Yeah will ask. Havent needed to so far as pretty steady bar speed but its always way easier with a spotter. Confidence.
                                                                                          That's quite a short break for a 5x5 if the weight is heavy. I wouldn't expect to be fully recovered with anything less than a 5 min break.

Then again, your cardio would be better than mine.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                            That's quite a short break for a 5x5 if the weight is heavy. I wouldn't expect to be fully recovered with anything less than a 5 min break.

Then again, your cardio would be better than mine.
                                                                                            Really? Heavy is...um... relative

Not particularly heavy in the grand scale but I might actually start resting a bit longer as missing a rep or set pisses me off so much more than having to wait an extra two mins.

I am used to just judging when I am ok and going back at it, that is obviously not the best method though. ty

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Really? Heavy is...um... relative

Not particularly heavy in the grand scale but I might actually start resting a bit longer as missing a rep or set pisses me off so much more than having to wait an extra two mins.

I am used to just judging when I am ok and going back at it, that is obviously not the best method though. ty
                                                                                              No bother. Sure on my last few 5x5s I've taken at least 10 mins in-between the worksets sometimes 15. I really don't care how long it takes once they get done properly and I get stronger.

Double your rest period and see how you get on.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                I'd be similar to Lurker. My program calls for ramped sets and before the last one I take 5mins.
                                                                                                Heavy is relative of course, but If you get the reps after 2 mins rest then it's not a true 5RM.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Progress so far

6 1/2 weeks in. Starting Strength or similar for the most part and despite a few bumps regarding recovery and a little bit too much cardio at times I'm happy with how its going. Not 100% all ok but ticking along.

Squat: 95kg (Start 60kg)
                                                                                                  Bench: 75kg (Start 50kg)
                                                                                                  Deadlift 120kg (Start 80kg)
                                                                                                  Shoulder Press 50kg (start 30kg)
                                                                                                  Bent Over Row 70kg (Start 50kg)
                                                                                                  Dips 3x8 with 12.5kg on belt. (Start 3x8)
                                                                                                  Pull Ups 3x7 with 5kg on belt, deadhang with 3 second pause. Max in one go was 19xBW. (Start 3x5)

Obviously I didnt start from scratch having some carryover from training beforehand but doing ok.

Have been on a steady enough deficit as well and am 73kg/74kg thereabouts, prob a little less.

Bodyfat I havent gotten measured even though I said I would. Havent found anyone who can do it with callipers who Id trust to know what they are doing. Dont believe the idiot cookie cutter trainers in the gym would have a clue.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of how I am now. I dont have a before reallly.

From here;

I am gonna keep up with the deficit and fat loss for a little longer. Gonna stick with starting strength for a little longer too as Im not stalling too much even on the deficit so no point changing just yet and still have the goals to reach before Xmas.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Great session last night:

Bench 77.5kg 5x5
                                                                                                    Squat 92.5kg 5x5
                                                                                                    Deadlift 125kg 5x5
                                                                                                    Dips+15kg 1x10 2x8

Solid session. Happy with it. Eating a little bit more now and have cut cardio for last 10 days.

Gonna need to figure out a new strat for the next few weeks but like I said previously, gonna stick with SS for a little longer. No real need to change just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                    X