No announcement yet.

GAA Betting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wexford are certainties v Limerick IMO,Wexford have been very much under rated all year and by the so called pundits.

If the Cork backs can hold the Down forwards which i blieve they will i think the Cork Full forward line will take the Down full back line to the cleaners providing they get enough ball which i think they will.
    Eoin Cadogan returns to the Cork backline he will help shore things up there

Kildare v Derry believe it or not i wouldnt put it past Derry winning this game.
    However due to the 6 day turnaround and the loss in an Ulster final,the loss of Eoin Bradley and his brother earlier in year Paddy,should swing it in favour of Kildare.
    There was nothin in the Ulster final up until the penalty,i wouldnt underestimate John Brennan and his powers of motivation,by all accounts the players would die for this guy and his record speaks for itself.
    Kildare struggled against a poor Meath side in a game that was physically very demanding and bar the late scoring burst there was nothing in it.

Armagh have really disappointed me after there excellent performance v Down,Derry made bits of them,Wicklow should have beaten them in the drawn game and bar Jamie Clarke who is a bloody joy to watch and Aaron Kernan they are very average.
    On the flipside all is not well in the Tyrone camp,Eoin Mulligan has pulled out of squad due to lack of competitive action,Stephen O'Neill is injured.
    However they have an embarrasement of young talent at there disposal,mix that with the all the experienced warriors they have and i think this will see them through just.
    Talks of the experienced Tyrone players being past is rubbish IMO they are only in there late 20's early 30's.

Anyways thats my tuppeny worth on how they might go

Comment

Kildare v Derry is the closest one for me as well fwiw...

Comment

Think the tightest game is Tyrone v Armagh, know each other inside out , expect Armagh to improve on Wicklow games, though Tyrone should still come through.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          Kildare v Derry is the closest one for me as well fwiw...
          i dont see how this is so close we had a solid performance against meath where they asked questions and even though not playing our best grinded out the result. are you all forgetting the score in this fixture last year 2-17 1-9 and derry had the advantage of having both bradleys in the team that day . im doing kildare -4 for this one

Comment

Originally posted by Donk Magnet View Post
            i dont see how this is so close we had a solid performance against meath where they asked questions and even though not playing our best grinded out the result. are you all forgetting the score in this fixture last year 2-17 1-9 and derry had the advantage of having both bradleys in the team that day . im doing kildare -4 for this one

Agreed. If Kildare play as they can they should win by 4 to 7 points IMO

Comment

I just think everybody is blowing Kildare out of all proportion tbh.

I think they'll probably win on Saturday, but they're not a level above Derry.

Derry's six day turnaround will be a huge factor.

Last year's game was a one off and means no more than the Meath-Dublin result from last year.

Comment

Also have a feeling Down could suffer a backlash from Cork after the disappointment of the munster final, wouldn't be surprised to see Cork by 8+ here, saw Down a couple of times this year, looked very flat tbh not near last years levels, though they usually improve from now on.

Comment

I agree Meath most definitely asked questions of the team and it was a serious grind,last year Derry were under different management,playing a different style and alot of changes to the team hadnt shown no where near the form they have this year.
                  Eoin Bradleys loss is huge however as he was in the form of his young life
                  IMO i cant see Kildare beating them by 5points now we all have different opinions thats just the way i see it

Comment

I just think everybody is blowing Kildare out of all proportion tbh.

Derry's six day turnaround will be a huge factor.

Last year's game was a one off and means no more than the Meath-Dublin result from last year.
                    i was merely pointing out that derry had there 2 best players playing last year and couldnt come close so why should it be any diff with less of an attacking threat ??
                    by the way kildare are a level above derry imo a level above alot of teams this year credit where its due they are prob the fittest hardest working team out there

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeal View Post
                      Also have a feeling Down could suffer a backlash from Cork after the disappointment of the munster final, wouldn't be surprised to see Cork by 8+ here, saw Down a couple of times this year, looked very flat tbh not near last years levels, though they usually improve from now on.
                      Did you see them play against Antrim perchance?

Anybody who did care to comment on the performance?

I keep hearing Down are now "on a roll", with a roll seeming to consist of a series of woeful performances strung one after another. I haven't seen the Antrim game though...

Comment

i was merely pointing out that derry had there 2 best players playing last year and couldnt come close so why should it be any diff with less of an attacking threat ??
                        Sure why not just back the same results to happen every time two teams that met last year meet again this year.

That's ridiculously poor reasoning, ignoring as it does form, management change, tactical approach etc etc etc.

by the way kildare are a level above derry imo a level above alot of teams this year credit where its due they are prob the fittest hardest working team out there
                        The fitness thing is a fallacy based on the fact that the team are well rested in the second half of games having slept through the first half.

I think they'll win this weekend but they won't go any farther unless they draw Mayo.

Comment

Sure why not just back the same results to happen every time two teams that met last year meet again this year.

That's ridiculously poor reasoning, ignoring as it does form, management change, tactical approach etc etc etc

The fitness thing is a fallacy based on the fact that the team are well rested in the second half of games having slept through the first half.

I think they'll win this weekend but they won't go any farther unless they draw Mayo.
                          i disagree i belive we can beat anyone on our day remember the whole ul never get any further thing in the 98 semi look what happened there .
                          ur overlooking the fitness of this team probably the best defensive performances in 2nd halfs by any team and tbh if kerry fell asleep in the 2nd half like they did against cork i think they would be looking to next years games .

Comment

i disagree i belive we can beat anyone on our day remember the whole ul never get any further thing in the 98 semi look what happened there .
                            ur overlooking the fitness of this team probably the best defensive performances in 2nd halfs by any team and tbh if kerry fell asleep in the 2nd half like they did against cork i think they would be looking to next years games .
                            I think wearing tinited specs tbh. I'm just giving my opinion based on the games I've seen, I have no reason for bias either way.

Re: Kerry, I'm pretty happy with how we're fixed at the moment considering the calibre of player we were able to beat Cork without. I wouldn't be too worried about falling asleep in any second half where we had Paul Galvin, Tomás O'Sé and Seamus Scanlon to bring off the bench

Comment

My thoughts on the weekends games:
                              Kildare v Derry - Kildare to pull away at the end would be the logical scenario. Kildare are 2/3 (-3) on PP and that would be as far as I would go.
                              Cork v Down - Would be wary of Down..similar to last year they have had a couple of dodgy performances and then one pretty good performance coming into a 1/4 final. They performed well in Croker last year and have the forwards to capitalise on any lapses in Cork's defence. That being said I'd expect Cork to have too much. Cork straight @4/9.
                              Tyrone v Armagh - Stephen O'Neill is a big loss for Tyrone. Armagh will have benefited from the Wicklow games,but I think at home Tyrone will pull through by the odd point.
                              Wexford v Limerick - Can't see Wexford losing and think -3 @5/4 would be a good punt. Limerick haven't had decent opposition since the Kerry hammering and despite improving will find the Wexford forwards too hot to handle.
                              Galway v Waterford - Blahs will probably make a stand and come out fighting (literally maybe!) but ultimately can't see them containing Galway attack enough and Galway should have a few to spare.
                              Dublin v Limerick - If Downes starts and is more than 60% fit, Limerick could cause Dubs problems here. O'Grady will shine the spotlight on every Dublin weakness and if Limerick hurl near their peak they have a great chance. At 7/4 i would keep an eye on the Downes situation and act accordingly..he will be crucial for Limk.

A Kildare,Cork,Wexford,Tyrone,Galway accum is 4.3/1 ish.
                              A more stretched Galway (-2),Kildare (-2),Wexford (-3),Tyrone,Cork accum is almost 10/1 and worth a shot in my view.
                              A Kildare,Galway,Wexford treble at just over 3/2 is probably the best for guaranteed return.
                              "Ne jamais perdre sa passsionne...ou s'en, éloigner vite!!!!..EC

Comment

I think cork -2 @4/5 with PP could be well worth some lumpage. This Down side has been poor enough this year, and any sort of decent performance from Cork will blow the out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by ciarraithuaidh View Post
                                  Cork v Down - Would be wary of Down..similar to last year they have had a couple of dodgy performances and then one pretty good performance coming into a 1/4 final. They performed well in Croker last year and have the forwards to capitalise on any lapses in Cork's defence. That being said I'd expect Cork to have too much. Cork straight @4/9.
                                  The Croke Park factor is something I hadn't considered and is food for thought alright...

Tyrone v Armagh - Stephen O'Neill is a big loss for Tyrone. Armagh will have benefited from the Wicklow games,but I think at home Tyrone will pull through by the odd point.
                                  I've seen pretty much none of Tyrone this year, how have they been playing?

Comment

Re: Kildare football team

''The fitness thing is a fallacy based on the fact that the team are well rested in the second half of games having slept through the first half''.

LOLaments

Kildare were having 7 collective training sessions per week in spring of this year. Alot of the squad are in their 4th year of conditioning programme since Mcgeeney came.

It is widely commented on and accepted by pundits, ex-top players and current players that they are one of the fittest teams in the country. Also their ''sleeping in the first half'' reasoning is also a bit ridiculous. If they were sleeping they would have been hammered off the pitch and barring being down significantly to Dublin at HT (btw one of the other fittest teams in the country) their mediocre 1st half performances could be put down to poor shoting mostly.

Comment

The "sleeping through the first half" thing was somewhat tongue in cheek.

Kildare are obviously a fit team, I just think - as with the rest of their merits these last two years - it's overstated.

I don't think they're any fitter than Cork or Dublin for example, and I doubt they'll be appreciably fitter than any of the semi-finallists by the time that round of games rolls along.

EDIT: I couldn't give a bollocks what ex-top players and pundits have to say, I've discussed the game with enough of them to know that > half of them have as much a clue as Dunphy does about La Liga.

Comment

Did you see them play against Antrim perchance?

Anybody who did care to comment on the performance?

I keep hearing Down are now "on a roll", with a roll seeming to consist of a series of woeful performances strung one after another. I haven't seen the Antrim game though...

No but 3 of my mates were there and weren't impressed at all. Very very ordinary except for a couple of little cameos from Coulter and Clarke. Antrim were a match for them most of the game, and indeed were better for long periods. We're all lumping on Cork with the handicap anyway looks serious value.

Comment

I think wearing tinited specs tbh. I'm just giving my opinion based on the games I've seen, I have no reason for bias either way.

Re: Kerry, I'm pretty happy with how we're fixed at the moment considering the calibre of player we were able to beat Cork without. I wouldn't be too worried about falling asleep in any second half where we had Paul Galvin, Tomás O'Sé and Seamus Scanlon to bring off the bench
                                          ur opinion is bad imo u saying the only way kildare will go further is if they draw mayo ??
                                          we would beat donegal also and i reckon wed hav a good crack @ dublin .
                                          the thing u dont understand is this kildare team belives there not afraid of any kerrys of corks.
                                          u wouldnt be afraid with subs like that kerry still went 20odd mins without scoring against cork
                                          i would be very worried abt this if i was u also dont think the gooch is up to par this year could be another worry.

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about falling asleep in any second half where we had Paul Galvin, Tomás O'Sé and Seamus Scanlon to bring off the bench
                                            Is it just me or has Seamus Scanlon become a much better player in hes absence?? Bit of the Andy Reid syndrome if you will?

And quite frankly anyone who doesnt recognise that there is no team fitter than Kildare at this moment in time, needs to retract their head for where it is lodged as you may do very serious long term damage to yourself

Comment

ur opinion is bad imo u saying the only way kildare will go further is if they draw mayo ??
                                              the thing u dont understand is this kildare team belives there not afraid of any kerrys of corks.
                                              u wouldnt be afraid with subs like that kerry still went 20odd mins without scoring against cork
                                              i would be very worried abt this if i was u also dont think the gooch is up to par this year could be another worry.
                                              You're right, I forgot Donegal, you could get past them as well.

I'm not talking anymore about Kerry, there's no point since you don't know much about them (the three players I named were unavailable for the game against Cork and will be added to the panel for the next game), and I'm likely to be biased.

I'd be interested to hear what odds you'd lay on Kildare and Kerry to win the All Ireland since you're so confident

Comment

The Croke Park factor is something I hadn't considered and is food for thought alright...

I've seen pretty much none of Tyrone this year, how have they been playing?
                                                Yeah, Down (this team and in the past) generally perform well in Croker...I mean they struggled in Tullamore against Offaly last year and the likes of that game gave me (and most other Kerry fans) the impression that they couldn't be that good..they then destroyed us (when we were horrible admitedly) and went on to come within a score of winning the AI,playing some great stuff along the way. If they had a couple of better defenders they could be a serious team imo.

Tyrone were sluggish in Ulster (not a new phenomenon) and have been just building up since then. Some of them have a lot of mileage on the clock,but they have the likes of Coney and Peter Harte (5 pts in Longford game) have added some fresh blood to the team and they still have enough quality players that we know are capable of raising their game. They will beat Armagh in Omagh I would be sure enough, whether they can go further and have the legs for the likes of Kildare or Cork still,I would have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                  Is it just me or has Seamus Scanlon become a much better player in hes absence?? Bit of the Andy Reid syndrome if you will?
                                                  As an addition to a squad with as undermanned a midfield as Kerry's?

He'd be an excellent addition with 20 minutes to go in a game you were struggling at midfield. He's far from overrated at home, everybody knows his limitations, but as an extra man in the squad he's a great addition.

And quite frankly anyone who doesnt recognise that there is no team fitter than Kildare at this moment in time, needs to retract their head for where it is lodged as you may do very serious long term damage to yourself
                                                  Fitter? Maybe.

By enough to make a difference against a good team? It wasn't enough against 14 Dubs *shrug*

Comment

Just re: the Gooch,he had an injury scare going into the Cork game i think,so if you're judging on just that, I would qualify it..he has been on fire throughout the league and the 2 (easier) c/ship games before this, so saying he's not up to par this year is ludicrous regardless.

On this Kildare issue..I think they are superbly conditioned and fitter than most teams, however anyone thinking that Kildare are "fitter" in any way than Kerry or Cork (and maybe the dubs)to me, is wrong. Cork are still the strongest physical team in the country by a distance...they are at least as fit/fast as Kildare are believe me. I won't comment on Kerry as I am biased,but I am quite sure of the above.

Comment

Hold on slow down just a tad here now they failed to win Leinster remember Dublin had to play the last 20mins of that game with 14men and still held a 4point lead with time almost up.
                                                      Course there not afraid of Kerry or the Corks they shouldnt be playing if they were.
                                                      Im from Cork and the team that have most by far impressed me this year is flaming KERRY.
                                                      There flaming forwards as a unit are in a different league to Kildares and most other teams left in the championship.
                                                      And they have Galvin and O'Se and Scanlon to come back into the team 2 former Player of the Years and 3 All Star winners.
                                                      Colm Cooper took Michael Shileds for a tour of Fitzgerald park,he didnt trouble the scoreboard much but contributed in so many other ways ie.his workrate and the amount of possession he had.
                                                      I hate to say it but Kerry are perfectly poised to win the All-ireland.

Comment

As an addition to a squad with as undermanned a midfield as Kerry's?

He'd be an excellent addition with 20 minutes to go in a game you were struggling at midfield. He's far from overrated at home, everybody knows his limitations, but as an extra man in the squad he's a great addition.

Fitter? Maybe.

By enough to make a difference against a good team? It wasn't enough against 14 Dubs *shrug*
                                                        Ah so now Scanlon has gone from being of the calibre of Galvin and O'Shea to been an able replacement for that oaf Quirke lol dont fall over yourself backpeddeling there.

Remind me, that game against the Dubs was that a knockout game?? Say like didnt Cork lose one of them last year and it was all doom and gloom, early days yet Keane and the qualifier route is ideal for Kildare considering they have a few relatively new forwards that need confidence.

Im not for one second saying they will win Sam, but you are writing them off far too casually, remember this is a team who were the width of the crossbar away from the AI final last year and are on an upward curve, Mick Foley and Emmet Bolton are as good as any backs in the country , Johnny Doyle would walk on to any team, James Kavanagh seems to be redescovering last years form and Tomas O'Connor has been a revelation on the edge of the square.

Comment

Ah so now Scanlon has gone from being of the calibre of Galvin and O'Shea to been an able replacement for that oaf Quirke lol dont fall over yourself backpeddeling there.
                                                          Stopped reading here

Get a life will you - I'm giving my opinions on the championship as I see them in an effort to help people make as informed a decision as possible when it comes to putting their hard earned cash down.

I'll be fucked if I'm going to waste any time justifying "backpeddling" to you because I didn't explain myself in minute detail about each individual player I mentioned.

What I think is contained in the above posts, if you're interested go ahead and read them, if you're here for some point scoring exercise because you think you got me to "backpeddle" then you can fuck right off.

"Backpeddling"! Fuck me that's kiddy stuff. I'd expect it over on boards because the place is crawling with people who just finished their Junior Cert.

Comment

Stopped reading here

Get a life will you - I'm giving my opinions on the championship as I see them in an effort to help people make as informed a decision as possible when it comes to putting their hard earned cash down.

I'll be fucked if I'm going to waste any time justifying "backpeddling" to you because I didn't explain myself in minute detail about each individual player I mentioned.

What I think is contained in the above posts, if you're interested go ahead and read them, if you're here for some point scoring exercise because you think you got me to "backpeddle" then you can fuck right off.

"Backpeddling"! Fuck me that's kiddy stuff. I'd expect it over on boards because the place is crawling with people who just finished their Junior Cert.
                                                            Well if your that easily offended my sincerest apologies, get a grip ffs.

Now when you get over your hissy fit then go back to the original point so and explain why you think Derry have a great chance of turning over last years hiding in a neutral venue missing their two best players.

I see you conveniently ignored the second part of my post aswell, where I outlined to you the merits of this current Kildare team, care to comment?

Comment

Well if your that easily offended my sincerest apologies, get a grip ffs.

Now when you get over your hissy fit then go back to the original point so and explain why you think Derry have a great chance of turning over last years hiding in a neutral venue missing their two best players.
                                                              Seems pretty straightforward Kildare, Cork, Tyrone, Wexford all looking fairly probable winners...
                                                              I see you conveniently ignored the second part of my post aswell, where I outlined to you the merits of this current Kildare team, care to comment?
                                                              I haven't read it.

Comment

Stopped reading here

I'd expect it over on boards because the place is crawling with people who just finished their Junior Cert.
                                                                I haven't read it.
                                                                Id imagine you fit right in over there so, although Junior Cert might be a bit advanced for you

Comment

Id imagine you fit right in over there so, although Junior Cert might be a bit advanced for you
                                                                  If I thought you'd the slightest bit of interest in my opinion I'd engage, however I suspect you're just hoping for me to not explain something to the nth degree so you can hop on it and tell me I'm wrong or I'm backpeddling.

w/e I'm out of this thread for a while.

Comment

dublin are just as fit as Kildare. Ditto Donegal Cork and kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                      I don't think Kerry are yet, but they will be by semi-final time assuming they get there, and the additions expected to the panel in the next game will help a lot as well.

Comment

Jeez lads keep the local loyalty out of it were lookin for hard info to make betting decisions, not this my team is better stuff .

On Kildare , think they'll beat Derry allright but can't see them getting near Sam. They were easily 2nd best to Dublin in the Leinster final even though they should have got a draw in the end, and most people are writing off Dublins chances.

Comment

If I thought you'd the slightest bit of interest in my opinion I'd engage, however I suspect you're just hoping for me to not explain something to the nth degree so you can hop on it and tell me I'm wrong or I'm backpeddling.

w/e I'm out of this thread for a while.
                                                                          I am indeed interested in your opinion Keane and as you say this is a betting thread we should all be open to other opinions I just felt you were been very condesending towards Kildare without backing it up and it has gotten abit out of hand, gloves off.

Perhaps as you say too much is been made of their fitness but it is remarkable their second half record, perhaps it is more down to mental fitness rather than physical, McGeaney strikes me as a very shrewd operator on that level.

Comment

dublin are just as fit as kildare. Ditto Donegal Cork and kerry
                                                                            This should come with a 'may not include Mossy Quinn' disclaimer.
                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Possibly but I would definitely have more confidence in Kildares mental fitness than Dublins for example come the business end of the championship, We have no idea how fit Kerry are as they have had two meaningless games and one very strange gamne where they played the AI champs off the field for 35mins and then visibly wilted. Donegal are very well organised and disciplined, think we will get a better idea when they hit Croker as to their fitness.

Cork were undoubtedly supremely fit last year and won a good few games in the last 10 mins by wearing down their opponents they may find it difficult to reach that intensity again imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeal View Post
                                                                                Jeez lads keep the local loyalty out of it were lookin for hard info to make betting decisions, not this my team is better stuff .

On Kildare , think they'll beat Derry allright but can't see them getting near Sam. They were easily 2nd best to Dublin in the Leinster final even though they should have got a draw in the end, and most people are writing off Dublins chances.
                                                                                As you will see from my username I have no allegiance for any of the remaining counties and infact have a large antepost bet on Kerry to win sam, was just taken aback by teh ease with which some were dismissing last year semi-finalists and apologies if i went OT and overstepped the mark.

Comment

I am indeed interested in your opinion Keane and as you say this is a betting thread we should all be open to other opinions I just felt you were been very condesending towards Kildare without backing it up and it has gotten abit out of hand, gloves off.
                                                                                  I think they're overrated - I dont really know how to quantify it anymore than that.

I think they're fit, but not so fit it's going to make much difference in the last four (or last eight unless they meet Mayo, who don't look up to much physically).

I think they have a decent team, with a couple of excellent players but a lot of average players as well. The full back whose name escapes me, Doyle, O'Connor on current form, Bolton and Kavenagh if he can keep up last week's level are all right good players. After that, I'm not convinced. They've enough to keep anyone's hands full, but I don't think they've enough to get over any of the contenders.

I don't think the 8/1 being offered about them for the AI is much on the generous side.

Perhaps as you say too much is been made of their fitness but it is remarkable their second half record, perhaps it is more down to mental fitness rather than physical, McGeaney strikes me as a very shrewd operator on that level.
                                                                                  McGeeney is the main reason people are even talking about Kildare imo. Brilliant coach and has made the absolute most of what he's working with.

Comment

apologies if i went OT and overstepped the mark.
                                                                                    Just on this, I'm pretty sure you took my point perfectly well without me spelling it out vis a vis Scanlon.

I got wound up because it looked a lot like you were delighted to jump on the post (which wasn't even unclear tbh) and score a point off it. Like I said I expect it in the other place but I think of everyone here as a friend.

No hard feelings?

Comment

As you will see from my username I have no allegiance for any of the remaining counties and infact have a large antepost bet on Kerry to win sam, was just taken aback by teh ease with which some were dismissing last year semi-finalists and apologies if i went OT and overstepped the mark.
                                                                                      No worries, Kildare are actually the team left in I can't make up my mind on. Think Donegal and Tyrone maybe underrated, Down and Dubs overrated, Kerry and Cork about right, just can't decide on Kildare

Comment

just a question keane how highly would u rate pat spillanes views on the championship?

Comment

Just on this, I'm pretty sure you took my point perfectly well without me spelling it out vis a vis Scanlon.

I got wound up because it looked a lot like you were delighted to jump on the post (which wasn't even unclear tbh) and score a point off it. Like I said I expect it in the other place but I think of everyone here as a friend.

No hard feelings?
                                                                                          None at all, were all on the same side at the end of the day, as in against the bookies

Mick Foley is the FB in question btw, having a wonderfull campaign.

Comment

just a question keane how highly would u rate pat spillanes views on the championship?
                                                                                            i'll give my view here. i think it's pretty good actually but i think the most remarkable pundit of all is Colm O Rourke. I mean look at his writings pre match in the paper over the last few years and how fabulously well he sized up all manner of matches league+ championship. For me he is the most insighful of them all but it pays to listen to a few more pundits who i think often make good solid assessments e.g. peter canavan and ciaran whealan (early days but has impressed me bit so far).

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
                                                                                              i'll give my view here. i think it's pretty good actually but i think the most remarkable pundit of all is Colm O Rourke. I mean look at his writings pre match in the paper over the last few years and how fabulously well he sized up all manner of matches league+ championship. For me he is the most insighful of them all but it pays to listen to a few more pundits who i think often make good solid assessments e.g. peter canavan and ciaran whealan (early days but has impressed me bit so far).
                                                                                              Spillane knows his stuff IMO,but goes for the sensationalist angle constantly which gets up people's noses obviously..If you filter out the "tabloid" stuff,he makes sense generally. I agree that O'Rourke knows his stuff aswell..most of the rest of them are clueless. McStay and Davis get far too much air time for my liking. McStay loves his little meaningless phrases like "shot selection", Davis is just an utter spoofer and many Cork people would say the same. Peter Canavan was a great player,but insufferable as a speaker imo. Whelan hasn't given any great insight from what i've seen so far. GAA presentation standards are bad and they are getting worse imo.

Comment

well what do we think about spillanes comments that kildare are no3 in the country and one of the only sides that play total football. im not saying that were gonna win the ai but what i am saying is we have a chance as good a chance as dublin imo who blow hot and cold what u get from kildare every time is an honest hard working team of 20 men that give their all for 70mins no matter who they play .

Comment

well what do we think about spillanes comments that kildare are no3 in the country and one of the only sides that play total football. im not saying that were gonna win the ai but what i am saying is we have a chance as good a chance as dublin imo who blow hot and cold what u get from kildare every time is an honest hard working team of 20 men that give their all for 70mins no matter who they play .
                                                                                                  The only team that strikes me as playing 'total football'' (gaelic) ever was and still is ironically his Kerry team of the 70s and 80s and the better recent Kerry teams. I mean rarely do you see as naturally gifted and skilled players from 1 to 15 who can all 'play' football as Kerry. I guess the definition of 'total football' is key here and for my money Spillane is just babbling here a bit when he went on about it on the Sunday game. Yes they work the ball from backs to forwards but surely we can all agree that watching Kerry in full flight is way more 'total football' than any of the other teams on display. Watch some of the moves from Kerry v Limerick from defense to attack and same for some of the moves in the Kerry V Cork, pure class from all players from defense right out.

Comment

Big bet on Kildare (2-7), Cork (4-9) and Wexford (1-2)to win @ 1.78 to win with Bet365 (over 7-4)

The 6 day turnaround is huge and history has shown it is practically impossible to overcome not to mention I think Kildare are a better team than Derry anyways.

Down have not been impressive this year at all. Cork should win fairly easily though they were so frustrating last year with the spreads, doing just enough to win their games by the odd point. The -2 could look an awesome bet but last years scrapes puts me off lumping into this so the straight win is safer.

Wexford should account for Limerick fairly comfortably i feel. Wexford are a high scoring team though went ultra-defensive against Dublin but should resort to like here. Limerick have had 2 handy home games at home.

I think Tyrone will win but i just dont know what team Harte will play plus Ulster derbies can be anything. Tyrone are still capable of winning the AI i feel but they were woeful against 14 man Monaghan. They should have beaten Donegal in the semi where they missed some easy scores and got caught by 2 breakaway goals.

Fancy Galway in the hurling though staying away from it, might back the overs at around over 46.5. Staying away from the Limerick-Dub game too. O'Grady will have somethin up his sleeve for this.

Comment

Delighted everyone is writing off Armagh.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                                                                                        Delighted everyone is writing off Armagh.
                                                                                                        i wouldn write them off too soon that youngster jamie clarke i think his name is ?
                                                                                                        hes going to be class dont think it matters what foot he uses either seems to bee fairly accurate with both. gonna be close with them and tyrone imo

Comment

Galway gonna thump Waterford

If you can get a price on it, get into Waterford minors to beat an injury hit Kilkenny minor team on Saturday night in Walsh Park

Comment

Write down off at your peril in croke park their front line is handful for any team im having a nibble at down straight @9/4 and taking the +2 @6/5. They will be up against it no doubt but i just dont think its as straight forward as people think.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Jaysoose; 19-07-11, 21:37.

Comment

Backing Limerick to beat Dublin, cant see why they are such a big price.
                                                                                                              twitter
                                                                                                              moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by Jaysoose View Post
                                                                                                                Write down off at your peril in croke park their front line is handful for any team im having a nibble at down straight @9/4 and taking the +2 @6/5. They will be up against it no doubt but i just dont think its as straight forward as people think.
                                                                                                                I'll take u on/lay both those bets if u want. Up to a 50 euro on both if u want. i hold the opposite view obviously and would be happy to lay at those odds. PM if u are interested

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
                                                                                                                  I'll take u on/lay both those bets if u want. Up to a 50 euro on both if u want. i hold the opposite view obviously and would be happy to lay at those odds. PM if u are interested

Have them backed already with mr Patrick Powers, im only playing small money on this match so am happy to let my bets ride as they are. Will most likely be trying to lock up some profit with both teams to score a goal @ 11/8.

With Coulter and clarke both being in the full forward line to allow room for the classy looking Mooney at half forward I fancy a tighter match than people think.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Jaysoose; 20-07-11, 08:39.

Comment

Spillane knows his stuff IMO,but goes for the sensationalist angle constantly which gets up people's noses obviously..If you filter out the "tabloid" stuff,he makes sense generally. I agree that O'Rourke knows his stuff aswell..most of the rest of them are clueless. McStay and Davis get far too much air time for my liking. McStay loves his little meaningless phrases like "shot selection", Davis is just an utter spoofer and many Cork people would say the same. Peter Canavan was a great player,but insufferable as a speaker imo. Whelan hasn't given any great insight from what i've seen so far. GAA presentation standards are bad and they are getting worse imo.
                                                                                                                    Oh how i have to agree so much on the McStay and Davis point,McStay drives me bloody daft thinks he's a right dope with all his little phrases and the way he delivers,stuff 'I hate to say but outside of the boot again Marty i just dont get why players do that' every god damn game he irritates the shite outta me.
                                                                                                                    And Tony Davis as a Cork man he shouldnt be anywhere near it commentating on Kildare v Meath he's about as insightful as a Donkey looking up a hens hole,the mope.
                                                                                                                    Both these guys dont get how much the game has advanced since they played it

Comment

It depends.

If he's on TV you might as well mute the sound at half time a lot of the time. For example on his thoughts that Kildare are the third best team at the moment. What he's really saying here is "Kildare are better than Dublin", hoping to get the fanbase in Dublin stirred into a rabble about him so they'll buy whatever paper he's writing for now to see what he'll say next.

If you meet him in a pub somewhere and get talking to him off the record he's very good, thinks deeply about the game and knows his stuff. Anything he says in the media is hard to take at face value though.

EDIT: FWIW I think Peter Canavan is the nut GAA pundit. His depth of knowledge has been really good anytime I've listened to him on the Last Word (haven't seen too many of the TV3 games), and his thoughts on tactics always resonate well with me.

Comment

Saw this post over on boards about the Cork v. Down match.

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions but it's making me think...

Thoughts?

Originally posted by barbarians
                                                                                                                        I think that Down are going to catch Cork on the hop Saturday evening.

They have been flying below the radar with unimpressive wins in the qualifiers but with three Championship wins under their belt they seem to be setting themselves up for a big performance and they could have no greater motivation than taking on Cork to try and avenge the defeat last year.

Cork meanwhile, have played only one serious Championship match and lost, not playing well in the process.

The match against Down will be Cork's first in three weeks while Down are coming off the back of three do-or-die qualifier matches.Also, the injuries Cork have sustained will hurt them and I firmly believe Down are waiting in the long grass for Cork and will defeat them in a perfect storm.

Down by 5 points.

Comment

The odds on offer on bet365 are fairly thin for the weekend.

Galway vs Waterford (Hurling obv)
                                                                                                                          Wexford vs Limerick
                                                                                                                          Tyrone vs Armagh
                                                                                                                          Cork vs Down
                                                                                                                          Kildare vs Derry

pays 3.98/1

Galway vs Waterford
                                                                                                                          Wexford (-2.0)vs Limerick
                                                                                                                          Tyrone vs Armagh
                                                                                                                          Cork vs Down
                                                                                                                          Kildare (-4.0)vs Derry

pays 9.24/1 which is a fair bit juicier...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X