AJ pub game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJ pub game

I have just played this hand an hour ago and have had a disagreement about it with a respected IPBer already so just throwing it out there. Fwiw, I am happy with the way I played it, even though I lost

Set the scene, a few weeks ago I won a €350 pot in a 1-1 cash game v same player with AA v KK. It was the first thing this player said to me on arrival tonight. Something along the lines of "I'm leaving, he dogged me a few weeks ago with my Kings, I want my money back". I know they are joking and took it as a joke, having the banter with them. The player (call them Ted) has plenty of money and only plays recreationally for the craic and enjoyment of the game. Also Ted is not a good player. A nice combo for the opponents.

Tonight in the 1st level (6 handed, 2 dead stacks and 50-100 blinds), a seemingly tight unknown player raises UTG+1 to 250, Ted (UTG+2) calls. Folded to me on the BTN and I make it 1,500. UTG+1 (I'm thinking small pair) calls and Ted calls announcing they are calling for value
    Flop, 8x8c4c, UTG+1 leads for 1,650, Ted calls and I ship the remainder of my starting stack in ~8,300. UTG+1 folds instantly and Ted says "I'm behind but I will call" and flips over the flush draw. It duly hits the turn so I get my 8k second chance.

Now the hand. I am in SB with AJ, the unknown from earlier limps for 200, Ted calls and , I call not wanting to raise oop and play a big pot and BB checks. Flop A 10 5 rainbow. I bet 500 (into 800) and Ted calls. Now I am thinking "GOTCHA" and never folding barring some miracle scare cards. Turn J, I check (to trap and because I am playing a short stack so want to get them in) Ted bets 2k (into 1.8k), I call. River 10 The only card I don't want to see. I check, Ted bets 5k (into 4.8k). I make a crying call and put my head in my hands. Ted flips over J 10 for the house. Fold or call river. Have just under 3k invested with about just over 5k behind.

Apologies for the long post, opinions please (on all streets). I am happy with the way it went, given history and the player etc. but would appreciate some thoughts.
    Last edited by dobby; 28-11-13, 22:47.

Thought this had something to do with AJ.
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I think this will help you alot, tis a few years old now but it really helped me

Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
        Now the hand. I am in SB with AJ, the unknown from earlier limps for 200, Ted calls and , I call not wanting to raise oop and play a big pot and BB checks. Flop A 10 5 rainbow. I bet 500 (into 800) and Ted calls. Now I am thinking "GOTCHA" and never folding barring some miracle scare cards. Turn J, I check (to trap and because I am playing a short stack so want to get them in) Ted bets 2k (into 1.8k), I call. River 10 The only card I don't want to see. I check, Ted bets 5k (into 4.8k). I make a crying call and put my head in my hands. Ted flips over J 10 for the house. Fold or call river. Have just under 3k invested with about just over 5k behind.

Apologies for the long post, opinions please (on all streets). I am happy with the way it went, given history and the player etc. but would appreciate some thoughts.
        I probably do something different on every street to what you did. Raise pre, don't lead flop. if you lead the flop, i still lead turn. Might bet/fold river.

Comment

Was hoping this might be a fundraiser to buy me a puppy.

Comment

And there is 2 out of 4 reasons I was told to be careful about posting on here. Thanks for the opinions FD and SatNav

Comment

What did you have in the first hand? Seems a bit of a spewy raise size in the first one. It might be a double chance so there is scope for increased aggression but some people just end up donking away their first stack. I hate the thought of getting my stack in in the first level unless I have them crucified or on the river with the goods

The second hand, in adapting to the game I limp too. Even if you pump to 1000 you are bloating it as you said.

You are only going to get 2 streets of value where you generally will know you are ahead. You are in trouble if you try get 3 streets. 1/2 pot on the flop, check shove the turn to the over bet would have been the play as KQ is the only hand you are behind too - Bottom set raises here, limping AA is nearly out of fashion as is 10 10. It's funny how many times "pub players" call you with middle pair and a gutter with one card to come.

Fold river as played. I just can't see any hands you beat that he puts what I see to be a value overbet in, unless its a complete bluff
              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                I think this will help you alot, tis a few years old now but it really helped me

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=5871
                Lol...where is Liz anyways. We haven't had one of her outbursts in a while

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                  What did you have in the first hand? Seems a bit of a spewy raise size in the first one. It might be a double chance so there is scope for increased aggression but some people just end up donking away their first stack. I hate the thought of getting my stack in in the first level unless I have them crucified or on the river with the goods

The second hand, in adapting to the game I limp too. Even if you pump to 1000 you are bloating it as you said.

You are only going to get 2 streets of value where you generally will know you are ahead. You are in trouble if you try get 3 streets. 1/2 pot on the flop, check shove the turn to the over bet would have been the play as KQ is the only hand you are behind too - Bottom set raises here, limping AA is nearly out of fashion as is 10 10. It's funny how many times "pub players" call you with middle pair and a gutter with one card to come.

Fold river as played. I just can't see any hands you beat that he puts what I see to be a value overbet in, unless its a complete bluff
                  Sorry, had QQ in 1st hand. Was confident I had them crushed and obviously want the cll 100% of the time.

Even though it is double chance, it normally plays like a freeze out so wasn't expecting it to be so light.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                    Sorry, had QQ in 1st hand. Was confident I had them crushed and obviously want the cll 100% of the time.

Even though it is double chance, it normally plays like a freeze out so wasn't expecting it to be so light.
                    I'd still 3bet less obv but you did get 2 callers so who knows. Where is this game? This sounds like easy money if you don't run like a donkey

Comment

Down in Killorglin,, ~20mins outside Killarney, It's a fun game with the same regular 12-20 players been going for 5 or 6 years. I just didn't think this hand was a fold but we live and learn.

And the big 3-bet with the QQ was to see what the unknown did, if he re-pops I think I am behind so can just muck it cos he seemed like a weak-tight aggressive player. Also, like you said, I got 2 callers and got 1 of them to call me off with a draw so happy days.

Comment

I like the flat call pre. Don't like the lead on the flop and as played prob check-raise the turn if you think he is def going to call and I imagine he would call with any pair+straight draw combo if he'll call off in the previous hand with just a flush draw.

Comment

Working...
                        X