Fat burning exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat burning exercises

As the title says. Just looking to know what 3 or 4 of the best fat burning exercises are?

Hiit on a cross trainer or rower.

Weights, compound lifts mainly.
    Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
    I like this heat - some proper music innit.
    None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

interval training (running) would be my number one suggestion.

combining a good interval training schedule with proper dietary adjustments will be the most cost effective, time effective, safe and simplistic way to burn fat

Comment

Intervals - rowing / cycling / swimming / running

1 (time unit) full/sprint/race pace : 1.5 (time) recovery pace

repeat until puking

Comment

It depends on how fat you are, and also what you current capacity for excercise is. While intervals will certainly work, your capacity to do them may not be there. This may make a weight program in addition to steady state cardo a better choice. So, how fat are you?

PS: The best way to lose fat is through diet and excercise. The second best is diet and the last is excercise.

Comment

The best exercise is to lift meat, veg and healthy fats into your mouth and leave empty carbs behind. Walking is all you need after that. Occasional strength exercises are only the cherry on top for looking really good.

Easy game. 47 pounds since January and counting....
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              The best exercise is to lift meat, veg and healthy fats into your mouth and leave empty carbs behind. Walking is all you need after that. Occasional strength exercises are only the cherry on top for looking really good.

Great work! Discipline works.
              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                Great work! Discipline works.
                Thanks Iago.

It's actually not even difficult. It's unreal the impact of eating healthy fats as it stops you craving crap empty calorie foods. I often miss brekkie and even occasionally lunch because I'm still feeling full from the steak or pork from the night before.

I have a little bit more fat to go (i want to hit 10% body fat) and then I'll try to build muscle (as opposed to being happy right now to not be losing any existing muscle as measured by what I can lift).
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

top tip: acquire 3 small children and mind them full-time. I eat like shit, drink a fair bit and the weight is falling off me nonetheless.

It is entirely possible I may have worms.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    top tip: acquire 3 small children and mind them full-time. I eat like shit, drink a fair bit and the weight is falling off me nonetheless.

It is entirely possible I may have worms.
                    hide and seeks gets crazy at the duke house..nsfw-ish
                    SPOILER
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Thanks Iago.

It's actually not even difficult. It's unreal the impact of eating healthy fats as it stops you craving crap empty calorie foods. I often miss brekkie and even occasionally lunch because I'm still feeling full from the steak or pork from the night before.

I have a little bit more fat to go (i want to hit 10% body fat) and then I'll try to build muscle (as opposed to being happy right now to not be losing any existing muscle as measured by what I can lift).
                      Which food did you gut out?

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                        Which food did you gut out?
                        I follow the philosophy of this website (as recommended by ikilldurr )

Comment

This. Diet is so much more important than excercise imo, although I find after a while you reach a plateau from diet alone and have to start increasing the excercise to help you along. That's where I am at now, I used dread the gym now I am strangely beginning to enjoy it .

SPOILER
                          Pfff V try harder. 61lbs since Jan.

I guess I did have more to lose tho

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                            This. Diet is so much more important than excercise imo, although I find after a while you reach a plateau from diet alone and have to start increasing the excercise to help you along. That's where I am at now, I used dread the gym now I am strangely beginning to enjoy it .

SPOILER
                            Pfff V try harder. 61lbs since Jan.

I guess I did have more to lose tho

That's excellent! It's great to see all the people getting it given how much misinformation and "selling" of bullshit that is out there. The modern way of eating is so bad for the majority.

At the start of the year I was caught up in planning to lose x amount etc.

Now that I'm losing the weight slowly and sustainably I have the quiet confidence that I'll never put the weight back on and that's infinitely more important then my current weight loss number to me. It's actually mind blowing.

Comment

Somebody pm'd me looking for more info on what I'm eating. I'm not posting this in order to put my personal info out there but to in some small way pay it forward. So please don't be broadcasting my personal info but if my story helps you then great.

First things first. Time losing weight the traditional way (exercising your bollix off and starving yourself) isn't a waste of time. You're just conclusively proving that it doesn't work for you over the long term!

It clearly does work for some people, the lucky bastards but your body isn't adapted to foods the way theirs is OR they eat differently to you.

Personally I went from 18.5 stone to 16.5 stone two years ago and then went and put over 1.5 stone back on. I lost that weight speed walking/jogging 60km+ every week. Cycling 30km a week and eating whole wheat everything. I eventually couldn't keep it up and started eating comfort food and doing less exercise. It's a complete load of crap, it's unsustainable because I was fighting against my own body. It's not your fault this doesn't work and it's not a reflection on you. You are poisoning yourself with the wrong foods for your body and making your body sick. You haven't a fucking chance of getting long term healthy that way. Trust me on this.

I started to work with a personal trainer in October 2011 and got a bit fitter (I lost no overall weight) and weighed in at 18 stone and 2 pound at the start of January 2012.

I decided it was time to tackle the diet with his help and instead of suggesting eating like a rabbit and working my bollix off he told me to start eating bacon and eggs in the morning. To cut back on the pasta and bread and eat more veggies and meat. I found every day I ate like this I felt better. Plus the food is great to eat. I lost 8lb in January.

Then I stumbled onto www.marksdailyapple.com thanks to Ikilldurr linking it from the personal log of MrsFlushdraw.

It was a fucking revelation. I actually downloaded the book for free from rapidshare and I devoured the contents of the site over a week. I cannot recommend that you read everything on that site to you any higher. It will change your life forever. I'm sorry I illegally downloaded the book now and I intend to buy 10 copies to pay my dues to the author of the book Mark Sisson and to change the lives of people I love when they come to me looking for help. I recommend you buy the book. It's pure gold.

I immediately jumped headlong into this thing but I had to read and reread the book, each time gleaning a little more knowledge and then reapplying it to my life. The first two weeks were scary. I was losing 1lb of fat and water nearly every day!

Obviously the pace of progress slowed and these days I lose 1-2lb nearly every week but occasionally I go off track due to poor food choices (travelling in london is terrible) and don't lose weight or put back on a lb or two but that quickly disappears. If you have a bad meal, a bad day or a bad weekend its no problem. A few days of doing the right thing and your body just bounces back. It truly is no hardship and my life is changed forever as a result.

Right now I weigh 14st 11lb.

The foods I eat are as follows;

Brekkie options

Bacon and eggs (and sometimes very high quality pork sausages which are coeliac friendly). Eggs are fried in real butter or poached or scrambled. Mushrooms, onions, peppers fried in butter.

Or

Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi (any combo of the above) and full fat greek natural yoghurt.

I eat until my body is hungry. If I don't have enough I have seconds.

For lunch I have an omellete with 4-5 eggs, loads of veg and bacon or chicken in it. Or I have a big salad with chicken or salmon or bacon in it and loads of cheese and lots of fresh veg. Onion, beetroot, boiled egg, peppers, etc.

For dinners I have chicken, fish, beef or pork and loads of roasted veg and a cream and cheese sauce or pepper sauce etc.

I might have some roast sweet potatoes with this meal every second or third day or a small portion of rice. Otherwise I don't explicitly eat carbs except in the veg I'm eating.

If i'm hungry I throw on a pork chop.

I eat at any time I'm hungry. Anytime.

I snack on nuts, loads of dark chocolate and more fresh fruit and full fat yoghurt.

Now that my body is fully fat adapted I quite regularly miss a meal as I'm not hungry. I listen to my body and don't eat when it's not hungry. This bit is a bit scary so you shouldn't rush into it. Stuff your face for the first month eating correctly as you'll still lose weight but then you need to listen to your body a bit closer to keep chipping away at the fat.

Once you get comfortable with this you'll notice that you have steady energy throughout the day and never feel "starving" because your body is getting plenty of energy from your own fat reserves. You are literally melting away at that stage.

I walk a lot these days as my energy is through the roof and I'm a pain in the ass to live with if I don't at least walk for an hour a day. I didn't get like this until March/April as the weight came off. This thing has probably added 20 years of fantastic health to my expected healthspan.

Apart from that I train with my PT once a week on strength/core exercises and on righting the wrongs of 12 years carrying an 18 stone+ frame around with all the injury damage that and misguided attempts at sport did. I'm now adding in one other 30 minute session of body weight exercises per week as it feels good. Plus now that I'm on this road I don't just want to look thin. I want to look fucking amazing.

I never run and I don't overdo the speed when I'm walking. I keep it at an enjoyable pace.

I sleep very well and wake naturally.

My goal weight is 13.5 stone and then I hope to put on at least a half stone of muscle by the end of the year so to end the year at 14+ stone with <10% body fat and to be able to do 10 chin ups unassisted.

Please, please, please read the website I recommended. The success stories seem unreal and yet just 5 months down the line I know I'll be posting my story there in time.

Even if you don't believe me suspend your disbelief for a month and give it a go. What have you got to lose?

I hope this helps someone.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

And well done V!

Comment

Can you really get under 10% body fat with that diet and not lifting weights?

If so I need to make some changes.

Admittedly Im not mad on salad, beef, salmon, nuts or seeds and am a bread and pasta fiend so diet is probably hard for me.
                                  Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                  I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                  None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                    Admittedly Im not mad on salad, beef, salmon, nuts or seeds and am a bread and pasta fiend so diet is probably hard for me.
                                    I like bread, pasta, rice etc. The meal for me is built around the protein source. I'd just as happily eat extra steak with just mushrooms and onions on the side.
                                    For the nest two week i'll be eating a ketogenic diet. Which is similar to the above. Virtually no carbs but lots of meat, eggs, natural fats etc. The difference is i'll be loading up carbs on the weekends for gym sessions.

It's honestly not that bad once you get used to it and have food available. It gets harder when your out and need lunch, but theres no optinos availible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                      I like bread, pasta, rice etc. The meal for me is built around the protein source. I'd just as happily eat extra steak with just mushrooms and onions on the side.
                                      For the nest two week i'll be eating a ketogenic diet. Which is similar to the above. Virtually no carbs but lots of meat, eggs, natural fats etc. The difference is i'll be loading up carbs on the weekends for gym sessions.

It's honestly not that bad once you get used to it and have food available. It gets harder when your out and need lunch, but theres no optinos availible.
                                      I was on the keto diet without the weekend carbs for a while and found just that. It's fine at home but a right pain when out and about.

Comment

Marks And Spencer is your friend if you are out and about and need something to eat quick.
                                        They have lots of Keto-friendly stuff, salmon mousse parcels, wide range of pre-cooked chicken and meats and small packets of veg you can microwave with a bit of butter.
                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Having seen V for the first time in a while last night, I can confirm he's half the man he used to be. This diet shit must work.

Still a massive fish obv.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                            Can you really get under 10% body fat with that diet and not lifting weights?

If so I need to make some changes.

Yes you can. Read the website. See the success stories. Or just wait another 3 months and I'll show you.

Approximately 33% bf to 18% to date.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            Having seen V for the first time in a while last night, I can confirm he's half the man he used to be. This diet shit must work.

Still a massive fish obv.
                                            Lol. I was fucking cursing you in the gym this morning with my trainer! I really couldn't care less about poker anymore but the people are great. Cranky, contrarian degenerates just like myself.

Comment

That book sounds interesting. Wouldn't mind a gander of that on my kindle, but I can't get it on amazon for some reason. Anyone have a link they could pm me?

Comment

Pm on the way.

Comment

Getting the wife to get me this book today, shall have a read over the next few days.

I may even start one of these log things !
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                    That book sounds interesting. Wouldn't mind a gander of that on my kindle, but I can't get it on amazon for some reason. Anyone have a link they could pm me?
                                                    That's exactly the problem I had Reggie. 10 times easier to illegally download then to legally buy books. Unreal.

Comment

@ V.

Is that diet you have above for massive & fast weight reduction?
                                                      I don't want to eat like that at all, bacon and eggs and all the full fat stuff make me sick and I don't think health wise it sounds like the best option.

I only need to lose a few pounds and keep them off, I think I drink too much to this this tbh, but I could never live on the diet.

Comment

fats are essential for satiety, and wellbeing. Good fats will fill you up and make you happy, keep insulin levels in check, and prevent your body from storing excess energy as bodyfat.

Sugar is the devil. Take it fully out of your diet and you will be more than half of the way to any body goal imo.

If you have access to iPlayer, take a look at the documentary on BBC last week
                                                        "The men that made us Fat".

Comment

I understand that they're essential, but that diet posted above seems a little over the top, esp as I'm only on my BMI limit and I just want to drop a few points.

Is this BBCiPlayer you're talking about?
                                                          (it's cool, just downloaded via torrent).

Comment

yup, bbc iplayer.

losing a few pounds is all I need to do too, up water, up fats, kill bread and sugar.

Calories determine your weight, sugar/carbs reduce your ability to control your appetite/portion control, while fats (though calorific) increase this as they have a higher 'satiety to calorie' ratio than the above, and they also don't reduce your realisation and appreciation of the "fullness feeling".

It's simply a case of eating less. That easy.

However, a lot of people don't realise how hard it is to get your body to stop thinking this. And it's nigh on impossible on a heavy carb/sugar laden diet.

That documentary explains a lot quite well. Concentrates a lot on the "bad guys" but don't bother with that, just what they talk about with refined Corn Syrup / sugar / leptin / suppressing your "full" feeling / portion sizes.

Comment

@ V.

I don't want to eat like that at all, bacon and eggs and all the full fat stuff make me sick and I don't think health wise it sounds like the best option.

I only need to lose a few pounds and keep them off, I think I drink too much to this this tbh, but I could never live on the diet.
                                                              It's not a fat loss diet. It's just a diet. Like vegetarianism for example.
                                                              It's very hard to overeat following it, you tend to drop weight if you are heavy. But there plenty of people in perfect shape who following it as a lifestyle

Fat isn't bad. That a myth that's been preached for years. Natural sources of fat are generally quite filling.
                                                              Problems occur when people have a complete meal (steak and veg) and add a huge portion on chips on the side, which is enough to be another meal.

Comment

So fat on say poker belly isn't bed?
                                                                And I'm fine eating that as long as I dont have noodles/rice/potatoes on the side.

This is a serious Q BTW. I've always been flat and the last few years since I stopped running/cycling as much I've put on a few kg that I cant ditch.

Comment

And I'm fine eating that as long as I dont have noodles/rice/potatoes on the side.

This is a serious Q BTW. I've always been flat and the last few years since I stopped running/cycling as much I've put on a few kg that I cant ditch.
                                                                  He means dietary fat isn't bad, carrying bodyfat around your waist is most definitely bad.

And yes, eating decent amounts of dietary fat and protein is the ideal approach, along with as many vegetables as you can get into. Get rid of processed food, sugar and grains (spuds, pasta, bread, rice etc) and you're away in a hack.

Comment

Its more than food you have issues with dude...
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

@ V.

Hey Sickhabbit. It looks like your questions have been answered. Most days I don't eat as much as I've listed above (I was trying to give examples). I'd often miss at least one meal a day or else eat very small portions. I wouldnt have anything like the appetite I had before. This is going to be my way of eating from now on but I'll probably add in more sweet potato or rice when I'm trying to build muscle and not just maintain as I'll be upping my lifting and training then.

Comment

As mentioned I was taking about dietary fat as opposed to body fat.
                                                                        It's a huge flaw in the english language that we use the same word for the nutrient fat as well as when one is overweight.

We have other words that describe them each separately, but they aren't in common use.

Comment

Can someone clarify something for me

Surely we need carbohydrates, and lots of them.

To take an extreme example, if you ran a marathon on proteins and fats you'd collapse from lack of glycogen unbelievably quickly.

Surely we need carbohydrates for physical exercise?

Have you been doing any training V at all? You might be losing weight but are you not just becoming "skinny fat" without doing exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post

To take an extreme example, if you ran a marathon on proteins and fats you'd collapse from lack of glycogen unbelievably quickly.

Have you been doing any training V at all? You might be losing weight but are you not just becoming "skinny fat" without doing exercise?
                                                                            The diet isn't zero carbs. It's just not based around them like the average meal. Veg, squash, potato, sweet potato etc are all included with dinners in reasonable portion and are all carbs. thee plenty of other carbs included afaik.
                                                                            Massive portions of rice and pasta aren't because they aren't needed for most people.

Strictly speaking, we need protein and fat for survival. They have a key role in a number of processes. Carbs provide energy, nothing more. This can also be provided by protein and fat. So carbs aren't essential.

With the marathon runner. Extreme examples don't hold up in the real world. It wouldn't be a good idea for an athlete to run a marathon without carbs, as performance would suffer. Low carb and endurance don't go well together. But he wouldn't collapse when glycogen runs outs. He'd probably just find the later stages much tougher. The website linked above actually mentions not doing long intense exercise.

Low or no carb makes little or no difference when it comes to short burst of intensity, lifting heavy etc, which imo is the best way to exercise. you'll still have energy

Comment

#39

correct, we'd be fucked without carbs if doing any sort of endurance training. Your body can only do so much with proteins and fats.

The idea then is to use carbs as a replenishment source. To be eaten directly after, or as soon as possible after a training session. These will "re-stock" the glycogen stores in your muscles.

Obviously for someone doing a marathon / triathalon / endurance race, you'll need to be pre-loading carbs too though. And this would form part of your training too.

TKD - Targeted Keto Diet - would be a very drastic example of this.
                                                                              CKD - Cyclical Keto Diet - would be another version.

The normal and most easy way to try and make this your lifestyle is somewhere in the middle though.

Comment

#40

Yes, you're spot on about needing carbs and glycogen depletion. The diet V is following has carbs in every meal. They are slightly differnt though in that they are coming from fruit and green veg. None is highly refined or processed like bread/pasta or rice.

What Mellor says about carbs not being essential is something i don't agree with. Yes, grain based carbs are non-essential, but we do need carbs to function physically and to regulate serotonin (ie mood control and appetite supression). I dont even belive that there is such a thing as zero carb.

Comment

#41

I can hike for hours on nothing more then a handful of nuts and some water.
                                                                                  I walk everyday now as I have loads of energy and I do exercise sessions twice a week. Being fat adapted gives you steady energy throughout the day.

I will never run more then 5km in my life again unless it's a life or death situation. As for skinny fat.....I was fat fat and not I'm in the healthy zone and Im very confident I'll soon be lean. I'll post a pic when I get there so you won't be worrying about me.

Seriously check out the website I linked and read the success stories. I know it sounds too good to be true but that's because we are all used to hearing the message of pain and suffering. There is an easier, more natural way. Give it a go for a month and prepare to have your mind blown.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Btw I consume on average 100g of carbs a day. Carbs are nigh on impossible to avoid and when they come in strawberry or carrot and swede with melted butter form why would you want to??

Endurance training is very unnatural in my view and the slowest way of getting results. Why would a hunter/gather run 40km and arrive somewhere without the energy to defend himself? Short answer. He fucking wouldn't. He'd walk there and still be able to kick ass when he got where he was going.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                                      What Mellor says about carbs not being essential is something i don't agree with. Yes, grain based carbs are non-essential, but we do need carbs to function physically and to regulate serotonin (ie mood control and appetite supression). I dont even belive that there is such a thing as zero carb.
                                                                                      I should probably explain that comment. I wasn't suggesting carbs are useless. I was pointing out that the function of protein and fat is a must, but carbs as an energy source can be replaced by fats and proteins. Sort of as a counter point to the idea the that we need lots of carbs for energy for fuel every single workout. Eating energy bars before a half assed go on some machines.

I agree that zero carbs isn't realistic either. I've been keto for the last 5 days and small amounts of carbs I picked were still 5-10% of my intake. I'm looking forward higher amounts at the weekend. I'm just doing keto for a few weeks. I'd normally have oats, squash, potato, fruit etc.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                        Its more than food you have issues with dude...
                                                                                        eek!

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Thanks guy.

I eat a lot of potatoes, pasta and rice, like 5 days a week.
                                                                                          I always ran and cycled a lot but as I'm not anymore I'm just gonna knock these out.

I also drink beer a lot which is seriously high carb so not sure what I'm gonna do about that!

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Posted in the another thread about quitting smoking this week so far so good. but onto the next step which is to start back eating rite and get back in shape.

Started off yesterday with a steak, mushrooms, some onions and a bag of frozen mixed veg. for snacks last nite i bought some peanuts and a glass of water and for brekkie i had a banana a kiwi and some grapes. then i headed out for a cycle done approx 5km with a 4 yr old on her seat which is on the crossbar so a little extra weight up the hills and that.

This evening im planning to do some sit ups maybe 10 min or so slowly building up to get rid of this beer gut. which iv decided to cut out as-well. dont know if i could handle having a beer and not smoking so ill just cut out the 2.
                                                                                            http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Don't overdo the exercise and injure yourself. Take it handy and let the body adapt. Swap out banana from your diet if you can Strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, raspberry are best. Make sure you have full fat natural yoghurt and not some sugar filled bullshit. Peanuts aren't great either btw. Macadamia nuts, hazelnut, almonds, brazil nuts ftw.

Good luck!

Comment

#48
                                                                                                I ordered the Primal Blueprint (and cookbook) about a month ago and haven't read the whole thing yet but I must I'm impressed. Just stay away from the sugar and carbs and the rest will take care of itself.

I tend to cook too much food for dinner (mainly meat) and leave it in the fridge then launch into it when ever I get the urge for a snack.

The fruits are great sweet tooth killers too.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
                                                                                                  Posted in the another thread about quitting smoking this week so far so good. but onto the next step which is to start back eating rite and get back in shape.

Started off yesterday with a steak, mushrooms, some onions and a bag of frozen mixed veg. for snacks last nite i bought some peanuts and a glass of water and for brekkie i had a banana a kiwi and some grapes. then i headed out for a cycle done approx 5km with a 4 yr old on her seat which is on the crossbar so a little extra weight up the hills and that.

This evening im planning to do some sit ups maybe 10 min or so slowly building up to get rid of this beer gut. which iv decided to cut out as-well. dont know if i could handle having a beer and not smoking so ill just cut out the 2.
                                                                                                  Im far from an expert but doing sit ups wont lose your beer belly losing excess fat weight will.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    So any ideas is you have to buy lunch at the local spar or fresh or whatever? I mostly make my own non-carb lunch and breakfast but on days I forget I struggle with decent food from spar.

Cant just eat soup all day, I'd die of hunger.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Buy babybels, sliced ham, two hard boiled eggs and some salady-things from the deli.

make wraps using the ham as the wrap.

Or else just get some chicken, salad, eggs etc in a salad-bowl type manoeuvres.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        So any ideas is you have to buy lunch at the local spar or fresh or whatever? I mostly make my own non-carb lunch and breakfast but on days I forget I struggle with decent food from spar.

Cant just eat soup all day, I'd die of hunger.
                                                                                                        Well spar wouldnt be known for its decent food surely.
                                                                                                        If you were in a bigger supermarket a packet of turkey slices in a pepper crust and an apple tasty enough and healthy.
                                                                                                        If you could stomach protein shakes very convenient and cheap maybe have a piece of fruit with one try and break boredom of eating the same thing.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          OK, so I started this about 3 weeks ago, just after my post on the 22nd I think. I have have bread twice only, no pasta/rice/potatoes at all. I eat fruit and yogurt for breakfast (always did anyway), salad for lunch, some fruit or something like that for a snack at 3ish and then fish or meat with roast/steamed veg for dinner every day.

I've lost over 3kg in the 3ish weeks, I was 71kg now under 68kg. I feel a lot better, but not massively more energetic. I just feel less stoggy or something, don't know, hard to explain.

I've noticed two issues coming from it which I would describe as negative. I cramp a lot now when playing football and running.
                                                                                                          I rarely cramped before, actually it's been two years since it's happened. I've had to cancel a race and Duathlon due to muscle cramp not going away fast enough after training/football. My immune system seems to be taking a hit too. I've had a cold for over 2 weeks and I cant get rid. I never have colds for more than a day or two.

I'm about 2kg from my desired weight and I'm thinking after that I'm gonna have to up the carbs again, maybe just on the day of football or before I run/cycle as it's defo having a negative effect on my stamina.

But I would say it defo feels good to knock most of the starchy food out of my diet.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            you actually have a fair few carbs in there already. Fruit (though natural) is quite carby, and the bread is always carbo-loaded.

Are you taking any vitamins? Eating enough vegetables? 150g of Brocolli with dinner, as well as other veg should be a portion size to be honest.

With regards the cramping, try and get some more salt into your diet, bacon , ham, smoked meats are great for this. Also, up the water intake, and the oily fish.

I imagine your imunne system is suffering from the carb reduction, but hasn't been getting enough fats to "switch" to burning them as an energy source. Are you consisting on lean meats? (turkey, chicken etc) or have you been getting the burgers, sausages etc in? You need fat. It's called essential for a reason. It won't make you fat. Calorie surpluses will. You don't seem to be getting enough meat in general in either. I aim for ~ 200kcals of meat at lunch and ~350 at dinner time. Usually have eggs at breakfast time with cheese and ham, or else bacon and eggs too. Get the fats in, your immune system is already suffering from the calorie restriction, no point in doubling it by removing possible energy sources.

Have you been tracking calories and macros? mynetdiary is very good for this (iphone app)?
                                                                                                            Last edited by Emmet; 10-07-12, 13:16.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              I dont really eat salty meats, not a huge salt fan tbh.
                                                                                                              I eat 98% pork sausages with 2 eggs on Sat an Sun only.

I mostly eat fish in the evening, salmon, and bass mostly.
                                                                                                              I eat plenty of veg, courgettes and aubergine mostly, not much green veg except lettuce. When I eat mean it would mostly be chicken as I'm not a massive red meat eater. If I was eating a burger I'd want it on a bun, but they're full of carbs sooooo!

I've been tracking calorie and carb intake, I reckon it's about 50g of carbs a day, calorie intake is less than 1.5k per day.

I also notice I'm hungry a lot. In the evening mostly.
                                                                                                              I've also dropped to a 30" waist which is a curse and a blessing cause I just bought 3 new pairs or jeans and they're falling off my arse.

I take those Vit C dissolvable tablets but that's all.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                you're not eating enough fat.

That explains the hunger, the energy and the immune system.

Get some good fats in. Also, you need green vegetables. Suck it up. Mix these requirements you're missing well by covering a massive portion of veg in salted butter.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Hmmm, bacon, cheese, milk, butter, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, almonds. Yum!!

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    + coconut milk

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                      + coconut milk
                                                                                                                      Fuck yes.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                        you're not eating enough fat.

That explains the hunger, the energy and the immune system.

Get some good fats in. Also, you need green vegetables. Suck it up. Mix these requirements you're missing well by covering a massive portion of veg in salted butter.
                                                                                                                        any thoughts on ginseng? I find it great for concentration and mental energy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X