Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
    Good luck! A little inspiration can go a long way.

I've definitely noticed a big increase in lunchtime runners around Merrion Square and Sean Moore Park/Sandymount Stand this month.

Aided by the very mild weather as well as the January resolution brigade.
    Parkrun was bloated today, and last week. Be great if it lasted.

I think most contributors here are regular runners so hopefully we'll stick around, at least to see SP and Lazare go head-to-head over 26 miles in October
    Ah this thread will last alright, a great idea dude.

We must all meet up for a Sunday long run sometime.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Weird thing is, I can run on it no problem, but when I stop I can't walk, for a bit anyway.

Wanted to get a week of running in before Raheny but I think it will be wise to stay off it.
      ?
      Go to a physio. Pay close attention to what they tell you and do the exercises they give you.
      I go to a lad in clondalkin I could recommend but you'll be lucky to get a walk in anywhere on Monday.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Go to a physio. Pay close attention to what they tell you and do the exercises they give you.
        I go to a lad in clondalkin I could recommend but you'll be lucky to get a walk in anywhere on Monday.
        Cheers Tony, I won't go down that road just yet though, I'll give it a week off and see how it feels after that.

Comment

I won't go down that road just yet though ...
          I tried for ages to come up with a running related joke about the above statement, but couldn't think of anything. No pun in ten did.

Comment

Well i did like the article said and i counted my left footfall over 60 sec (with my RunKeeper app) then doubled it.
            Did this today during the first 0.5km of a treadmill 5km. Running normally I had a cadence of 160ish. I think I'm stretching out my strides a bit too much, for this pace anyway.
            So I shortened my stride and up my cadence from 160 to 170. Was probably a little easier actually, felt fine afterwards. Logically, if I'm going to drop my time, I'll need to return to my previous stride while maintaining this new cadence.

Time was 24m01s (5km)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
              Did this today during the first 0.5km of a treadmill 5km. Running normally I had a cadence of 160ish. I think I'm stretching out my strides a bit too much, for this pace anyway.
              So I shortened my stride and up my cadence from 160 to 170. Was probably a little easier actually, felt fine afterwards. Logically, if I'm going to drop my time, I'll need to return to my previous stride while maintaining this new cadence.

Time was 24m01s (5km)
              May be worth getting advice from a club runner, or a coach, wrt to stride length/cadence/running style. Overstriding can lead to ailmets like shin splints etc., so it will always be about trade-offs/slow sustainable ajjustments as opposed to radical changes to style.

Comment

Volunteered at Parkrun for the 5th time over the weekend. Would recommend. Got a hill session in before hand.

Comment

Yeah, volunteering is really rewarding. You get to know lots of people by doing it too.

I've been timekeeper a few times and it's great as you get to see the quick guys coming in, always good fun roaring encouragement at people running their last 50 metres too.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                    May be worth getting advice from a club runner, or a coach, wrt to stride length/cadence/running style. Overstriding can lead to ailmets like shin splints etc., so it will always be about trade-offs/slow sustainable ajjustments as opposed to radical changes to style.
                    I'm thinking (hoping) that it was low simply because I was using my normal stride length but holding myself back a bit on pace via the treadmill.
                    Temp has dropped a bit today so might do this weeks run outside.

Comment

Yeah, volunteering is really rewarding. You get to know lots of people by doing it too.

I've been timekeeper a few times and it's great as you get to see the quick guys coming in, always good fun roaring encouragement at people running their last 50 metres too.
                      Do a bit of volunteering in Killarney too and have noticed that not everyone appreciates the kind hearted encouragement on the run in. I know you mean well but some poor fucker bursting his balls for a PB or maybe a slightly larger man/woman struggling to finish may tell you to Fuck off which happened in Killarney before. I just don't bother with cheering them home any more and instead just say well done as they cross the line. Never had a bad response with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                        Do a bit of volunteering in Killarney too and have noticed that not everyone appreciates the kind hearted encouragement on the run in. I know you mean well but some poor fucker bursting his balls for a PB or maybe a slightly larger man/woman struggling to finish may tell you to Fuck off which happened in Killarney before. I just don't bother with cheering them home any more and instead just say well done as they cross the line. Never had a bad response with that.
                        A simple 'great stuff, keep it going, only xK left' shouldn't be a problem and is all the volunteers (or other runners) should really do.

I remember last year when I had plantar and didn't really want to run but had promised a neighbour I'd accompany her as it was her first time. So I decided to do something like run 2K, walk 1K, run 1K, walk 500m, run 500m to do the 5K and not worry about time.
                        But at one of the planned pauses from run to walk the OpTransformation lady (must have thought I was one of hers with my beer belly) started running beside me like a clown and urging me to up the pace and all that encouragement jazz, and was all I could do to remain polite and not tell her to fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          A simple 'great stuff, keep it going, only xK left' shouldn't be a problem and is all the volunteers (or other runners) should really do.

I remember last year when I had plantar and didn't really want to run but had promised a neighbour I'd accompany her as it was her first time. So I decided to do something like run 2K, walk 1K, run 1K, walk 500m, run 500m to do the 5K and not worry about time.
                          But at one of the planned pauses from run to walk the OpTransformation lady (must have thought I was one of hers with my beer belly) started running beside me like a clown and urging me to up the pace and all that encouragement jazz, and was all I could do to remain polite and not tell her to fuck off.
                          I agree. But some people have their own personal struggles and would rather not see my smiley head giving encouragement when I'm just standing at the finish.

Personally I don't do parkrun as I hate running with people. Prefer to do my own route and run when it suits me and push myself.
                          Last edited by dobby; 08-02-17, 12:32.

Comment

I'm probably one of those people who wouldn't really appreciate being 'enthusiastically encouraged' as I am heading towards the finish - it definitely wouldn't have any positive impact anyhow, you might get a grimace out of me It is definitely a hard one to judge, when I volunteer I'm usually at the finish line and clap people in if I'm not otherwise engaged with tokens but some people give you the look of death even at that...

Comment

If I'm enjoying the run and it's going well the support is great, if it's been a filthy struggle and I just want to finish the feckers shouting are a nuisance. All good at the finish line though.

Comment

Training cancelled tonight so decided to go for a run instead of it. First run since October-ish. 6.1km in 28:56. Pretty happy with that tbh. Hit the wall around the 5k Mark so last k was really slow.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                  Personally I don't do parkrun as I hate people. ...
                                  FYP Dobby. No need to thank me.

Comment

Another 5km yesterday
                                    Time: 23m20s

A bit faster than last week, was fine for the first 3km, could have held a conversation. 4th km was average enough and the last was tough. I find I stare at the clock a lot with nothing to occupy myself with.

I tried focusing on cadence again, counting a few times throughout. I was able to kick along at 180spm easy enough, slight above at times. However I feel that being aware I was counting subconsciously increased cadence slightly. My fitbt said It was 4055 steps overall, so about 174spm average, a lot better anyway.

Comment

Another 5km yesterday
                                      Time: 23m20s
                                      5km Run
                                      Time: 22m45s
                                      Heartrate: 171avg, 185max

At predicted this started to get tough on the 3rd km. Ran with a metronome playing 180BPM over a podcast, I think my cadence matched it pretty closely, maybe a shade under.

I imagine this is sub VO2max pace. But I'm not really sure how to estimate that.
                                      I also want to get a better idea of my MHR. Any ideas how to work that out, other than running the bollox off my self for 10 mins and see where it goes.

Comment

For Max Heart Rate, either a 2K test on the Concept2, or some blocks of 500m, balls out, uncapped rate should give you a good indication. I am guessing you will see something of the order of 195 bpm.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                          For Max Heart Rate, either a 2K test on the Concept2, or some blocks of 500m, balls out, uncapped rate should give you a good indication. I am guessing you will see something of the order of 195 bpm.
                                          I was thinking 195 myself, I definitely run a little faster than the "220-age" estimate. Which is fine.
                                          Resting heart rate is the one which counts for health

Comment

Great running Mellor. Sub 20 should be easy for you with that progression.

Comment

Great running Mellor. Sub 20 should be easy for you with that progression.
                                              That's all treadmill running, due to the weather here atm. I'll get outside soon and see how times hold up.
                                              To be honest, the first 5km or so I was holding back to be cautious. I think I've done around 23mins before. So I'm only rally pushing progressive times from here.

Comment

Comment

Similar to Mellor, most of my running training this year will be 5ks. Did one this morning in 21:20 when my last one was:

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                  09/02:

5km run @ 22:27
                                                  Massive improvement. Ran on a treadmill with miles so wasn't sure what pace I was on for a while. Turned out I started slow and finished strong which seems to work better for me.

Comment

...Out of curiosity, are you subscribed to this magazine?...Would be interested to see how this one plays out...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                      ...Out of curiosity, are you subscribed to this magazine?...Would be interested to see how this one plays out...
                                                      Not subscribed, came across it on boards.
                                                      He has an instant gram that he's updating daily

Comment

Similar to Mellor, most of my running training this year will be 5ks. Did one this morning in 21:20.
                                                        21:05 this morning. So close to 20:xx but delighted with time. Went back through my personal log and that's actually my second fastest time ever on a treadmill. Did 20:53 this time last year but I'll beat that soon.

Comment

Interval Runs
                                                          3 x 1km run, 300m walk between each as rest (c.3mins)

The 1km's were at a speed of 16.5km/h
                                                          Completed the last in a time on 3m38s.

You'd need to sustain that pace to do 5km in 18min

Comment

Today i ran my 399th 'tracked' run - the usual lunchtime 10km from Merrion Square through Sandymount out to Poolbeg and back.

I'll run my 400th either in the Tipperary countryside on Friday or along the old railway track in Cork city on Saturday.

Here's some stats from the last four and a half years:

Start: November 2012
                                                            Total distance ran: 3,600km
                                                            Average number of runs per week: 1.7
                                                            Average distance per run: 9km
                                                            Total calories burned: 312,000
                                                            Average calories burned per run: 721
                                                            Where could i get to if i drove 3,600km from Dublin: Marrakesh

I'm getting slower but plan to keep going the distance.

Comment

BOOOOOMMMM.

400th tracked run turned out to be my fastest 10km since last April (58:22) and the first under 1hr since August.

Nice and flat round Mahon Point in Cork with only the short hills of Blackrock to contend with.

Just when i thought i was entering eternal decline it would appear i'm not.

Gonna do it all again tomorrow morning before i head back to Dublin if the weather is half as kind as it was down here this afternoon.

Comment

Been injured since January, Achilles I think. Stupidly went out three or four times thinking it was healed but prolonged it. Last time I ran was 4th March, was in the same pain afterwards so decided to have a bit of discipline and stay off it.
                                                                An absolute pain in the hole, I've really been missing it.

Went out tonight for a 3k run as it felt like I was ready. Feel great after it, no pain at all, gonna try another light run on Saturday and see if I'm over it.

Jesus though the break does some damage to your aerobic fitness, struggled a bit at a pace I would have cantered four months ago, lungs burning. I'll build it back up though, hopefully quickly enough.

Good too that I've discovered what caused the injury, going for a long run on Sunday after really pushing myself at parkrun the day before, twice in a row. Recovery is so so important I've learned, after the last parkrun I ran the Garmin recommended 59 hours recovery.

Lesson learned.

Comment

Yep you lose and regain cardio fitness exceptionally quick. Feels like a real kick in balls first run back but in another 1 or 2 you'll be back to normal. I've taken up to a year off running a couple of times before and it's taken less than 10 runs I'd say to get back to regular fitness.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good too that I've discovered what caused the injury, going for a long run on Sunday after really pushing myself at parkrun the day before, twice in a row. Recovery is so so important I've learned, after the last parkrun I ran the Garmin recommended 59 hours recovery.
                                                                    Those suggested recovery times are apparently worth listening too. I was reading about a guy who thought they were excessive so ignored them. The suggestions got longer but he plowed on with hard cycles, and performance started to drop. I'm not sure how they work but I think it's somewhat intelligent based on heartrate recovery and resting heartrate.

I don't have a garmin, but my Fitbit tracks resting heart rate. And I've notice that after I was sick, and again after moving house, my RHR was a few beats higher for a week and my performance was a bit shit.

Comment

Been injured since January, Achilles I think.
                                                                      Calf raises help with this.

Comment

5km Run
                                                                        Time: 22m01s
                                                                        Heartrate: 172avg, 188max

All time PR on the 5km. Almost hit 22min bang on.
                                                                        Heart rate peaked at 188, that's the highest I've noticed since I got a fitbit.

Comment

Just registered for the Samsung night run, anyone else doing it?

10k through Dublin city, 23rd April.

Comment

5km Run
                                                                            Time: 22m01s
                                                                            Heartrate: 172avg, 188max

All time PR on the 5km. Almost hit 22min bang on.
                                                                            Heart rate peaked at 188, that's the highest I've noticed since I got a fitbit.
                                                                            Still haven't got my head around heart rate stats, can you give me an idiots guide, or maybe link to one. My Garmin has a good monitor but I don't really understand it all yet

Comment

#98
                                                                              Toying with the idea of giving Vancouver marathon a go in a month's time. Haven't run any distance over 5k since August (marathon) but might try for a couple of hours today and if that goes alright I'll sign up.

Comment

#99
                                                                                Toying with the idea of giving Vancouver marathon a go in a month's time. Haven't run any distance over 5k since August (marathon) but might try for a couple of hours today and if that goes alright I'll sign up.
                                                                                Wow man, gl.

How will this compare to the training you did for the August one? Surely if you feel as fit now as you did last June/July it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Wow man, gl.

How will this compare to the training you did for the August one? Surely if you feel as fit now as you did last June/July it shouldn't be a problem.
                                                                                  Actually was September I last did one. So I did one in August (Helsinki) that I trained well for and it went great (3:35) but I foolishly signed up for another one about 5 weeks later (Budapest) and did no training in between. Pulled something about 2/3 through it and had to walk/crawl the reminder getting home around the 4:30 mark.

I feel my general fitness is the same but just need to see how easily lost/regained the endurance aspect is. Told myself I'd avoid long distance for a few years after Budapest but this would be an awesome city to do one.

Comment

Fantastic time, well done. Plenty of mileage with a good bit of empty stomach running and you should nail it.

Comment

Is that a common thing? Never heard of it but it makes sense to train your body to endure without excess carbs and then have that as an extra push on the day.

Comment

A friend of mine has made a few efforts to break 3:30 he put in serious effort to do it in Manchester today. Tracked him through the 30K mark and 2:25 seemed on schedule with a bit to spare but he needed 1:09 to get home. Obv he should be and is delighted to be able to do a 3:34 marathon at 55 but I know that he'll also be really disappointed not to have beaten his target.

Comment

Is that a common thing? Never heard of it but it makes sense to train your body to endure without excess carbs and then have that as an extra push on the day.
                                                                                          Running on empty trains your body to burn fat once it runs out of glycogen stores.

Probably the number one reason people hit the wall in marathons.

Comment

Right I'll have to look into that more. And you're talking decent length distances like 15km+?

Comment

Right I'll have to look into that more. And you're talking decent length distances like 15km+?
                                                                                              Well I've read that it only really matters when we're talking about marathon and beyond distances. Glycogen stores tend to deplete around the 30k mark

Comment

I'm only learning this stuff myself at the moment, so please don't take what I say as absolutes.

Comment

Well I've read that it only really matters when we're talking about marathon and beyond distances. Glycogen stores tend to deplete around the 30k mark
                                                                                                  Sorry man, I totally misread your question earlier.

I guess it would start to take effect around the 6 to 7k mark, depending on how long you have fasted.

Morning runs are perfect for it. Probably why they say morning runs are best if you're running to lose weight.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Lazare; 02-04-17, 20:48.

Comment

Just registered for the Samsung night run, anyone else doing it?

10k through Dublin city, 23rd April.
                                                                                                    No but i did it about 4 years ago. It was busy and buzzy which was great but a bit cramped for space at certain points down in IFSC.

It was a common complaint on the night and i think they've addressed that issue since then.

I remember i got very cold very quickly after the finish as i had to queue to get out and the exit was a bit of a distance from the finish line.

Then i had to jog over to Christchurch to get my lift home because parking in the environs of the race wasn't easy unless you went unfashionably early (ideally i like to turn up no more than 15 mins before the start).

I'd advise planning your entry and exit strategy but once you get going it's a cool and quite unique way to see the city.

Comment

Still haven't got my head around heart rate stats, can you give me an idiots guide, or maybe link to one. My Garmin has a good monitor but I don't really understand it all yet
                                                                                                      There are different effects based on the heart rate zones you train in. I've seen some very complex plans, for elite runners & cyclists, with up to 7 zones. And there are lots of different names for the zones, and also different ways they calculate the zones (heart rate, heart rate reserve, V02max). It can be a bit much to take in once you start googling. But in basic terms;
                                                                                                      • Recovery zone (50-70%): Very light work to aid recovery. (improved recovery vrs doing nothing)
                                                                                                      • Cardio/Aerobic zone (70-80%): Basically your long slow run pace. Training here improves cardiovasular fitness, endurance, and cardio output.
                                                                                                      • Anaerobic Zone (80-90%): Where lactic acid builds up faster than you can remove it. Training here makes your body better at removing it, and improves how long you can sustain this intensity.
                                                                                                      • V02Max (90-95%): As hard as you can go for short periods, intervals and the like. Training here improves V02max, ie you max output and also max speed.

I don't actually look at my HR when I'm running. The above was just getting my head around the theory/science. In terms of actually training, I do; 5km's to get better at running at 5km intensity, and intervals to get better at running faster. (which is roughly anaerobic and V02max zones respectively)

In terms of the HR score after my runs above. I use heart rate is a measure of the intensity of a particular run. It's basically how hard you are working. Even on a bad day where you feel slow, your HR will probably show you were working just as hard as usual to get here.
                                                                                                      So you can see my average HR is creeping up as my time drops, and my max is getting close to my actual max - which suggests there's a bit more in the tank, but not a whole lot.

Comment

That's excellent stuff Mellor, cheers bro. Having a good understanding of this stuff is such a help if you want to be efficient in your training.

Cheers also Benny, great tips.

Comment

Ran for 1.5 hrs today so I'll sign up for the marathon 🙈 33 days to go!

Comment

@ Mellor, I've looked back at my HR stats from different types of runs and it's all starting to make lots of sense now.

I'm interested in finding out more about 'recovery zone' training, can you give me an example of what you mean? I'm really scared of my injury coming back but I don't want to limit myself to three days a week either if possible.

My plan for this week is as follows, tomorrow morning I'm going out to do 5k, at around 10k pace, with three or four hill sprint intervals at the halfway point. Thursday evening an 11k LSR and then parkrun Saturday morning where I push it hard.

Good mix of zone 4 and 5 tomorrow, zone 4 on Thurs then zone 5 on Saturday.

What do you think I can fit in between that without risking injury? Really want to be running four days, maybe something light on Monday?

Comment

@ Mellor, I've looked back at my HR stats from different types of runs and it's all starting to make lots of sense now.

I'm interested in finding out more about 'recovery zone' training, can you give me an example of what you mean? I'm really scared of my injury coming back but I don't want to limit myself to three days a week either if possible.
                                                                                                              My understanding is that recovery work is to promote blood flow and such to the legs and muscles to improve recovery. But it's at such a slow pace that it doesn't contribute to any real training stress. I imagine you'd be fine with very light work to recover, I can't imagine it would contribute anything to an injury compared to Saturdays hard run.

Anything I've read stresses how slow the pace it. 50-70% is about 94-130BPM for me, I'd hit that on a fast walk I'd say. If I do include recovery work in future (I haven't yet) I'll probably set the HRM to beep to keep me in the zone.
                                                                                                              Doesn't have to be running either, could be swimming to something low impact. I keep saying I'm going to use the pool soon for recovery, but hasn't happened yet

Comment

Typically endurance athletes will do recovery session on a Monday after a hard long run or other effort on a Sunday.

Mellor is correct on the ease of effort.

If your 5K is a 5:00 minute per km pace, and your long slow weekly run is a 6:00 min per km pace, then this effort will be at a slower effort again.

Comment

Ah ffs I'm just after spraining my poxy ankle coming down a stair.
                                                                                                                  Ten minutes in and it's the size of a tennis ball and both sore and feeling like jelly to walk on.
                                                                                                                  Haven't done this since I was a kid, what sort of time off running am I looking at? Minimum 2 weeks I suppose.
                                                                                                                  What about cycling? I expect proper swimming will be impossible until it's healed.
                                                                                                                  FFS my

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    Ah ffs I'm just after spraining my poxy ankle coming down a stair.
                                                                                                                    Ten minutes in and it's the size of a tennis ball and both sore and feeling like jelly to walk on.
                                                                                                                    Haven't done this since I was a kid, what sort of time off running am I looking at? Minimum 2 weeks I suppose.
                                                                                                                    What about cycling? I expect proper swimming will be impossible until it's healed.
                                                                                                                    FFS my
                                                                                                                    I sprained mine about 3 weeks ago. Swim and bike are both fine for me, but no running.

Comment

I didn't fancy talking to anyone today at lunch, so I went for my run in the park rather on at the gym.
                                                                                                                      Turned out to be a good decision.

Distance: 5km
                                                                                                                      Time: 20:56

There was a slight elevation loss that helped. You can see that reflected in split for the first km. The grade adjusted time was 21:14, which is still a big PR.
                                                                                                                      The last 1.5km was was a sort of off-road, which probably wasn't ideal.

Strava really helped tbh, every 500m a little voice lets me know the elasped time, and the split for each 1km.
                                                                                                                      I finished the 3rd km at 12:15, so I knew I was on track to go 20:XX, I didn't ease off towards the end or anything. But I didn't kick it up a gear either.

Heart rate peaked at 191, which is slightly above my so-called max (220-age). I predicted I run high. Should probably test max HR.

Run Details here

Pic of finish spoiler for size
                                                                                                                      SPOILER

Comment

My calendar for the spring and summer is starting to shape up.

Terenure 5 Mile (May 14)
                                                                                                                        Clontarf Half Marathon (July 1)
                                                                                                                        Baltimore/West Cork (Early August)

Couple of runs in Tipperary and Derry inbetween and a couple more to be added.

Comment

Race tonight, really pumped up for it, fitness isn't back to where it was yet although I still think I may be able to post a time I'd be happy with it.

Just a little torn though, I've gotten my best friend into running, there's three of us running it tonight, the other lad is a veteran but my mate is a little nervous, it's his first race.

On one hand I feel I should run it with him, stay with him (he's not that much slower, no more than 1min/k) but on the other hand I really want to go flat out. It's only my second time racing.

I'll have a chat with him later and see what he says I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X