Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 16-04-19, 08:44   #51781
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Translyvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame, Yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Similarly apathetic. Beyond the aesthetic beauty what do they actually stand for? Odious symbols of wealth, fear and power.
It's a valid enough viewpoint I suppose.
Would you feel the same way about the artwork of Michaelangelo or LdV, commissioned under the Popes. Or the Medici equivalents in Florence.
Or if the Giza Pyramids were blown up tomorrow? The Wall of China?

It's relatively difficult to come up with any great landmarks (>200 years old) that weren't in some way based on wealth, fear, warmongering etc.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Old 16-04-19, 08:58   #51782
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Similarly apathetic. Beyond the aesthetic beauty what do they actually stand for? Odious symbols of wealth, fear and power.
Ah will you stop. It's been a symbol of the soaring grandeur and beauty that can be achieved by the artistic imperative of the human spirit for nearly a thousand years. The most visited attraction in the European Union (at least according to a recent table quiz) because of it's breathtaking scope and elegance.

Seriously 'a symbol of wealth, fear and power' is how you would expect a fourteen year old who thinks he is edgy and deep to think about an edifice like Notre Dame.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 16-04-19, 09:12   #51783
The Situation
Champ Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
Ah will you stop. It's been a symbol of the soaring grandeur and beauty that can be achieved by the artistic imperative of the human spirit for nearly a thousand years. The most visited attraction in the European Union (at least according to a recent table quiz) because of it's breathtaking scope and elegance.
Its the most visited attraction becuase its the big thing in the centre of one of the most visited cities in Europe and people need something to do on their holidays. It would get a tiny fraction of the visits were it in some smaller city/town in France. The city is the pulling power not that attraction.

Anyway you should be more concerned about your own sense of perspective and not my immaturity levels if this was the most depressing thing you can remember happening in a long time.
Old 16-04-19, 09:12   #51784
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Out of all those boring churches, it's the only one I can remember well, what it was like walking around inside. That was 10-15 years ago since I was there.
Old 16-04-19, 09:17   #51785
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Its the most visited attraction becuase its the big thing in the centre of one of the most visited cities in Europe and people need something to do on their holidays. It would get a tiny fraction of the visits were it in some smaller city/town in France. The city is the pulling power not that attraction.

Anyway you should be more concerned about your own sense of perspective and not my immaturity levels if this was the most depressing thing you can remember happening in a long time.
Fair point on a poorly chosen figure of speech.
Old 16-04-19, 09:18   #51786
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
It's a valid enough viewpoint I suppose.
Would you feel the same way about the artwork of Michaelangelo or LdV, commissioned under the Popes. Or the Medici equivalents in Florence.
Or if the Giza Pyramids were blown up tomorrow? The Wall of China?

It's relatively difficult to come up with any great landmarks (>200 years old) that weren't in some way based on wealth, fear, warmongering etc.
I suspect the epoch where wealth, fear & warmongering are the catalysts for achievements in human engineering is unfortunately far from over.

Obviously there has been architectural wonders in the past 200 years that were't driven by those factors but they certainly still seem somewhat prominent.

Endless articles showing the appalling conditions akin to modern day slavery that exists in the Middle East for the construction of their projects.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...i-battery-hens

Tallest structure in the world due to be ecilipsed next year with the completion of the Jeddah Tower and the 2nd tallest Burj Mubarak al-Kabir due to be completed in 2030, all done by vast amounts of migrant works who are immediately expelled on completion.
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 16-04-19, 10:38   #51787
AndyFatBastard
Pudgy Bastard

I you can't be awestruck by the magnificence of civilisation because you can't see past it's negatives, then you're fundamentally broken.
Old 16-04-19, 10:55   #51788
Mellor

Quote:
Beyond the aesthetic beauty what do they actually stand for?
Why do we need to go beyond aesthetic beauty? Shouldn't that be the primary focus of architectural admiration?

I couldn't give a shit about the religious aspect. The fact Notre Dame is a cathedral is irrelevant to my opinion on it's merits as a architectural masterpiece. It's probably the epitome of gothic architecture. It's very impressive for it's time imo. Just on scale and detail. The dark ages that produced plain stone castles that were Neolithic by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdrum View Post
I suspect the epoch where wealth, fear & warmongering are the catalysts for achievements in human engineering is unfortunately far from over.
Will they ever be over?
Large impressive buildings and structures require a lot of money to complete.
Wealth and power are almost always going be a factor in the race to be the biggest/tallest/whateverest.
Old 16-04-19, 11:27   #51789
The Situation
Champ Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
I you can't be awestruck by the magnificence of civilisation because you can't see past it's negatives, then you're fundamentally broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Why do we need to go beyond aesthetic beauty? Shouldn't that be the primary focus of architectural admiration?

I couldn't give a shit about the religious aspect. The fact Notre Dame is a cathedral is irrelevant to my opinion on it's merits as a architectural masterpiece. It's probably the epitome of gothic architecture. It's very impressive for it's time imo. Just on scale and detail. The dark ages that produced plain stone castles that were Neolithic by comparison.
FWIW I've never stated that i cant appreciate the architectural prowess of the buildings, they're unquestionably spectacular but its not mutually exclusive that you can appreciate that and have no emotional ties to its potential demise espeically considering the inhumane conditions workers had to endure, the relative poverty of citizens in many cities they were built in at the time, and all the negative religious ties.
Old 16-04-19, 11:59   #51790
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Will they ever be over?
Large impressive buildings and structures require a lot of money to complete.
Wealth and power are almost always going be a factor in the race to be the biggest/tallest/whateverest.
Well wealth will likely always be a factor but I was more referring to fear & warmongering while alluding to the poverty of those taken advantage of in order to complete them.

There's enough fantastic structures completed in recent times such as Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge & Statue of Liberty who's completion wasn't contingent on the essential enslavement of the poor.

The projects under construction in areas such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia etc encompass many aspects of what is currently wrong with various aspects of our society.
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 16-04-19, 12:39   #51791
Solksjaer!

What about the Pyramids Stitch ? Any use to ya?
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 16-04-19, 13:08   #51792
Silver-Tiger

Thoughts on Tiger, Willie?

Ready to say you were wrong?
Silver-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 13:10   #51793
Mellor

Quote:
FWIW I've never stated that i cant appreciate the architectural prowess of the buildings, they're unquestionably spectacular but its not mutually exclusive that you can appreciate that and have no emotional ties to its potential demise espeically considering the inhumane conditions workers had to endure, the relative poverty of citizens in many cities they were built in at the time, and all the negative religious ties.
That's fair enough. Your initial post sound a bit like you didn't see the big deal.
I'm sure the money in the 12th could have been better spent. But on the other hand, these massive projects kept generations of people work. Sure, would be horrible by today's standards. But they were paid craftsmen. The pyramids were built by slaves.
Old 16-04-19, 13:39   #51794
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
A billion euro is going to be used to rebuild it, at least it's just billionaires pledging the money, and they likely wouldn't have put it to a better purpose.
Old 16-04-19, 13:44   #51795
Solksjaer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
Thoughts on Tiger, Willie?

Ready to say you were wrong?
Wrong about what ? That he won't dominate again ? Sure Danny Willet won the masters . He got lucky
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 16-04-19, 14:16   #51796
Strewelpeter

Notre Dame has been a special place for me since Halloween 2000 I was in Paris and on crawling into my hotel bed in the early hours of Sunday morning after a surreal weekend that would have put Hitch to shame I got a call to tell me that my Mother had died suddenly. I couldn't stay in the hotel and went wandering around the city, ended up sitting in Notre Dame at 7AM with a small congregation listening to gregorian chant in almost complete darkness until the light starting to come through the rose window. It was a most beautiful and serene moment and somehow the monumental scale of the cathedral and what had happened fixed me to the moment and stood me in good stead for the days and years that followed.
Old 16-04-19, 18:22   #51797
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Sagrada Familia and that church with the last supper in Rome aside church buildings always leave me a bit cold. It's not even a particularly remarkable church, more a remarkable location.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 18:55   #51798
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Sagrada Familia and that church with the last supper in Rome aside church buildings always leave me a bit cold. It's not even a particularly remarkable church, more a remarkable location.
Do you mean the painting? I think that's on a wall of some fairly unremarkable place in Milan.
Old 16-04-19, 20:47   #51799
Raoul Duke III
The King

Quote:
Do you mean the painting? I think that's on a wall of some fairly unremarkable place in Milan.
I think he means the Fryer Tuck up by Croke Park.

Some efforts by Ajax in the CL knockout stages. Arreviderci CR7.
Old 16-04-19, 21:26   #51800
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Guessing he means the Sistine chapel.

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker