Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 12-04-19, 08:21   #51541
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Yeah scrolled back ten pages to see that! @keane at that point you were 20% through the book and struggling - did you finish it in the end and like it?
You can click the post number of a thread and click to see each of a posters posts. For better stalking in future.
Old 12-04-19, 09:06   #51542
AndyFatBastard
Pudgy Bastard

Nah, just only wear really good ones, like this absolute slice of genius:

Old 12-04-19, 09:17   #51543
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
There is a chasm between good and bad graphic t-shirts, with all the artsy, pop-culture, 'funny' and all that kind of prints being in the majority and certainly on the wrong side of the spectrum, and more thoughtful, abstract, or simple designs being what would look good and work well with many styles and outfits. I got bad news for you Andy. That said, I have many terrible graphic t-shirts and love them, I just know they are terrible from a fashion point of view, then again so are Tommy Hilfiger and RL imo. It really doesn't matter too much for me as my boss often has the same t-shirts.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-04-19 at 09:22.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-04-19, 09:23   #51544
zuutroy
Minor Local Celebrity

One of my students came in wearing this one...I was impressed.

Old 12-04-19, 09:26   #51545
AndyFatBastard
Pudgy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
There is a chasm between good and bad graphic t-shirts, with all the artsy, pop-culture, 'funny' and all that kind of prints being in the majority and certainly on the wrong side of the spectrum, and more thoughtful, abstract, or simple designs being what would look good and work well with many styles and outfits. I got bad news for you Andy. That said, I have many terrible graphic t-shirts and love them, I just know they are terrible from a fashion point of view, then again so are Tommy Hilfiger and RL imo. It really doesn't matter too much for me as my boss often has the same t-shirts.
Being terrible from a fashion point of view is a key element of of the appeal.
Old 12-04-19, 09:34   #51546
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Turned up at a meeting to push more coding in our teaching wearing this. I feel it strengthened the message.

Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 09:42   #51547
oleras
i won that tag fair and square in roulette !

One of my favs.

Old 12-04-19, 09:46   #51548
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Quote:
Don't buy t-shirts with slogans, as a general rule.
wearing this today though

I'm nothing if not inconsistent with my beliefs and motivations.

Such dynamic flexibility of mindset is something to be celebrated I feel
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 09:55   #51549
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Quote:
^^^100%
I have far too many teeshirts that were 'funny' or 'clever' for about 5 minutes

this slice of cultural lexicon being a prime example;

or this

some however, are just timeless
Old 12-04-19, 09:58   #51550
darwinatemyhamster

Quote:
Don't buy t-shirts with slogans, as a general rule.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
darwinatemyhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 10:02   #51551
Tar.Aldarion

I have that Mario Banksy one, people comment that they love it all the time.

I remember about 10 or 15 years ago I was wearing this tshirt (astronauts on the ISS have also been spotted in it lol) while iceskating with my girlfriend. A girl came up to me and was twirling her hair saying how she loved it.
I will never forget the fucking SNARL that came from my girlfriend, it was guttural, primitive - a "get the fuck away from him" sound in a wild animal kind of way. Girl legged it, I can still hear it in my head.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-04-19 at 10:08.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 10:34   #51552
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Quote:
I have that Mario Banksy one, people comment that they love it all the time.

I remember about 10 or 15 years ago I was wearing this tshirt (astronauts on the ISS have also been spotted in it lol) while iceskating with my girlfriend. A girl came up to me and was twirling her hair saying how she loved it.
I will never forget the fucking SNARL that came from my girlfriend, it was guttural, primitive - a "get the fuck away from him" sound in a wild animal kind of way. Girl legged it, I can still hear it in my head.

I do get a perverse joy when someone does a "nice shirt" double take.
Usually something from qwertee or lootcrate.
Old 12-04-19, 10:57   #51553
Hectorjelly

Quote:
Can't see it? See one where he said it was his favourite book and he's read it 10 times though
One of, not my favourite. I think its hard to have a favourite book once you are past ten years old!

I remember writing more about Neuromancer but I searched for it and can't find it, so possibly it's a false memory.

Having re-read it recently it I still think its a great book, really well written. As hitchy says, its often been copied, but I don't think it has been surpassed. I have a particular love for that specific movement in all art forms though, and I've recommended the book to several people who ended up not enjoying it, so it might not be for everyone.

If you are planning on reading it don't read this spoiler
Spoiler
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 11:02   #51554
Wesley Harms
GOAT

Itís winding me up far more than it should but fuck sake that Lappin is some special kind of jackass
Old 12-04-19, 11:10   #51555
ionapaul

Also wear the Mario Banksy one - we are a bunch of nerds, and even worse, not even that original
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-04-19, 12:00   #51556
hotspur
Intensely rational
Space Invaders Champion

I think this is the only such t-shirt that ever tickled me:
hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 12:10   #51557
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

The Disney+ competitor to Netflix looks like it could be very decent. Not sure too many people are going to keep Netflix and Disney, and objectively Disney looks like fun for all the family. I'd say 60% of Netflix ongoing subscriptions are just to have something (without ads) to keep the kids entertained.
Old 12-04-19, 12:15   #51558
ionapaul

Quote:
The Disney+ competitor to Netflix looks like it could be very decent. Not sure too many people are going to keep Netflix and Disney, and objectively Disney looks like fun for all the family. I'd say 60% of Netflix ongoing subscriptions are just to have something (without ads) to keep the kids entertained.
Seems obscenely Marvel heavy? Obviously there are many millions of people really into the MCU who will love that! Much narrower range of original output than Netflix or Amazon Prime, at first glance.

Wonder who will be the eventual winners of the streamed TV explosion, what with Apple coming on board too. It already feels like there is too much TV out there, who is able to keep up with it all... We pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime at present, and I feel like we're just about getting value for those two, but no way would I contemplate adding another service on top, it would have to be a case of dropping one before adding another.
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 12:23   #51559
coillcam

Similar scenario to DP above where I now find myself going to more meetings and the odd conference. I remember the boss saying to me in the past: "No-one gives a shite what you wear here, you're the "techy" guy". Still the techy guy but perception is important.

I used to have about 15 of those type t-shirts. Mostly from qwertee. Donated the majority and only have a handful left, inc the Mario/Banksy one above. I'm sick of polos, shirts and sports getup so its nice to have some variety.
coillcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-04-19, 12:25   #51560
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Seems obscenely Marvel heavy? Obviously there are many millions of people really into the MCU who will love that! Much narrower range of original output than Netflix or Amazon Prime, at first glance.

Wonder who will be the eventual winners of the streamed TV explosion, what with Apple coming on board too. It already feels like there is too much TV out there, who is able to keep up with it all... We pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime at present, and I feel like we're just about getting value for those two, but no way would I contemplate adding another service on top, it would have to be a case of dropping one before adding another.
Yeah I'd imagine the choice for a lot of people will be keeping Netflix or Disney (presumably Prime is an accidental subscription for most as part of a cheap postage deal). I think for a lot of people it will boil down to what the kids want to watch. Netflix has some pretty cool kids shows, but surely Disney will trump that given who they are.
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker